Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Carth Dookie posted:

Not a lot. This is meant to be a weekend thrash machine. So minimal expense/running costs would be great. Generally speaking I don't do my own maintenance but I could be convinced to do so on a dirt bike if it was simple to do so. I'm not sure what you mean by "where." Where on the bike do I want to spend money, or where on the planet am I? I'm about average height, but my wife is a shortass. Both of us lean towards skinny/average.

Thank you.

Thanks for the info. Stuff doesn't seem to be labelled or classed as "dual sport" on the places I look up bike listings though. :shrug:

Where do you live so we can recommend specific listings?

Do you need to ride it on a road to get to dirt?

Tw200 is a good bike for what you're looking for and is short. Dirt bikes generally are relatively tall so that they have clearance to go over stuff and the suspension has travel to soak up bigger bumps.

builds character fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

South Australian suburbia. Yeah it'll need to do decent road duty as well, but SA roads are lovely pothole filled crap anyway. Not a lot of highway though. I'll check the 200 as well.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 10, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Isn't the DR650 cheap as chips in Australia, and a favored dual sport down there? I think it would be a good bike for your needs, and has plenty of power that can be released with a bit of work and very little money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58vB-5urcJI

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Carth, I live in Glenelg and spend some bored time at work every day looking over Gumtree/bikesales window shopping. Flick me a PM and I'll keep an eye out for what you're after, spam you with links.

And as per Coydog's post above, I have a sumo'd DR650. Terrible suspension, fun bike (once you start big boring etc it's a hilarious sleeper)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Coydog posted:

Isn't the DR650 cheap as chips in Australia, and a favored dual sport down there? I think it would be a good bike for your needs, and has plenty of power that can be released with a bit of work and very little money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58vB-5urcJI

Probably way too big for my tiny wife and I have zero interest in doing mods. Plus the insurance and registration would gently caress me in the rear end on displacement alone, and a quick browse of my local sites puts them in a price bracket well above what I'd be prepared to pay. 250cc is probably about as big as I'd want to go for that reason alone. A pity really, it looks pretty neat.

Isolationist posted:

Flick me a PM and I'll keep an eye out for what you're after, spam you with links.

Lol thanks for the offer, but I'd better not. I expect to be spending quite some time warming the wife up to the idea, and I don't really need the extra peer pressure to buy. :v:

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
So a really nice Ninja 500 just popped up a few hours ago on my local CL at a pretty outstanding price. I'm going to check out the Gold/Black Ninja 250 that posted about previously tomorrow, but I've also emailed the 500 owner. Seems the longer I wait, the better the deals get. Little bit more than the ~$1500 I was looking to spend but I can easily swing it if its the right bike for me. When I previously posted about a very low mileage bike a few people warned me about a motorcycle thats been sitting around for 15 years and only has a few thousand miles, specifically about the rubber parts/gaskets/etc since they've just been sitting there dry for so long. This one has ~1500 miles and its 2007, is that still something I should be concerned about for it? Ad says its stored in a heated garage, not sure if that means anything regarding this issue.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/5774443049.html

M42
Nov 12, 2012

1500 miles is barely out of break in, pathetic for an 07. Rubber stuff might be ganky, carbs might need cleaning, stabil can't keep gas fresh for 9 years of no riding. If you need somebody to come check it out, I live in the area.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

M42 posted:

1500 miles is barely out of break in, pathetic for an 07. Rubber stuff might be ganky, carbs might need cleaning, stabil can't keep gas fresh for 9 years of no riding. If you need somebody to come check it out, I live in the area.

Yeah I remember, we chatted a few months ago :-). I'm assuming the tires will likely need to be changed first if they are still the stock tires and ~10 years old with only 1500 miles of riding. I asked the owner if its been started at all normally/recently and when the last time it was rode as well.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Definitely check the tyres and if they're original (and they will be); they'll need to be replaced. This is not necessarily a bad thing since budget bikes tend to come with budget tyres and one of the easiest ways to improve them is to put some non poo poo tyres on them.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The Pilot Street Radials have been working out quite nicely on my Ninja500, so if you buy that one that's what I recommend.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Carth Dookie posted:

South Australian suburbia. Yeah it'll need to do decent road duty as well, but SA roads are lovely pothole filled crap anyway. Not a lot of highway though. I'll check the 200 as well.

Does Australia get the CRF250L? It is a better bike than every other dual sport 250 with the exception of the more expensive WR

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yes. What's so good about it?

Lol:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/golden-grove/motorcycles/honda-crf250l-2013/1120463289

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 10, 2016

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
The CRF250L is fuel injected and liquid cooled with electric start and also a Honda. I do own one but I did a lot of comparison research in the 250 dual sport market for two years before buying mine and in every single 'professional' test of the 250 dual sport market, the 250L comes out on top of the KLX and WR (WR because of the price, KLX because it is actually an inferior bike)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
How terrible is this idea:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Beach Bum- It's a terrible idea. Buy it and post about it, please.

Beach Bum posted:

The Pilot Street Radials have been working out quite nicely on my Ninja500, so if you buy that one that's what I recommend.

I had those on my WR250x, and loved them. On really, really, aggressive supermoto mountain riding, the rear would slide a bit (enough to be fun) leaving a corner or two, but so did my pirelli sport demons. Excellent tire, and they looked almost new after 6000 miles (much of it highway). Great in the rain, too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

How terrible is this idea:

How much do you like working on terrible carbs and unjamming horrendous anti-dive forks? If the answer is anything other than 'a whole lot' the bike is not for you.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Coydog posted:

Beach Bum- It's a terrible idea. Buy it and post about it, please.

I had those on my WR250x, and loved them. On really, really, aggressive supermoto mountain riding, the rear would slide a bit (enough to be fun) leaving a corner or two, but so did my pirelli sport demons. Excellent tire, and they looked almost new after 6000 miles (much of it highway). Great in the rain, too.

I put sport demons on my CBR250r and they were a huge improvement on the stock tyres, gave me a lot more confidence.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Marxalot posted:

Weird, I've never managed to lock my DRZ like that. I'll try when I get off work if I remember and the roads aren't covered in water.

E: The FZ6 does it if I'm doing more than about 35-40 and drop the clutch fwiw.

I remembered on the way from work today. I just had to make a mental effort to actually just let the gently caress go of the clutch instead of just letting it out quickly. It does 2 skips then makes angry thumper noises. My bad.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slavvy posted:

How much do you like working on terrible carbs and unjamming horrendous anti-dive forks? If the answer is anything other than 'a whole lot' the bike is not for you.

How bad can it be?

*3 years later*

Refuses to go into garage with permabroke motorcycle at any cost.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat posted:

How bad can it be?

*3 years later*

Refuses to go into garage with permabroke motorcycle at any cost.

And even if you have an absolutely mint one, all you have is a bike that looks really cool and sounds somewhat cool. They are absolute garbage to ride for anyone used to anything from the 90's or newer and incredibly heavy for their size/displacement.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
So to recap where I was about a month ago I had only been riding for about 2 months before my bike got stolen. Insurance finally settled and I'm getting paid today. I want a baby's first adventure bike to cut my teeth on as a weekend bike and a intro to touring bike. I had been riding a plated ttr250. I might check this dr650 out this weekend. The ability to bring it down to a lower seat height appeals because I'm only 5'8 . NZ goons, is this a fair price?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dual-purpose/auction-1150435558.htm

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 12, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm glad you got paid for that and work on getting on two wheels again. Hopefully the insurance company treated you right on the valuation.

Why on earth would you buy a dr for almost 5k USD?
Are there no used DR650 for less?

The DR650 would be a good choice for you, I think. Dog slow enough stock for a beginner, but lots of power can be found down the road.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trambopaline posted:

So to recap where I was about a month ago I had only been riding for about 2 months before my bike got stolen. Insurance finally settled and I'm getting paid today. I want a baby's first adventure bike to cut my teeth on as a weekend bike and a intro to touring bike. I had been riding a plated ttr250. I might check this dr650 out this weekend. The ability to bring it down to a lower seat height appeals because I'm only 5'8 . NZ goons, is this a fair price?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dual-purpose/auction-1150435558.htm

If you could talk him down about five hundy yeah.

Coydog posted:

Oh you :allears:

I paid 3,800 for my 05 919 and that was a loving steal. I paid 3,500 for my 04 SV and that was another monster steal. My 04 ZX10 cost me 5,400 and that was, at the time, around 1000 under the market value for such a bike (the seller was a clueless idiot).

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Intelligent mods, but yeah try to get him to drop a bit in price (show him how much a brand new one costs, I reckon they're only $8000 over in Aus).

Good ghetto bikes, gives you some variety in what you can tackle and in typical fashion hasn't been refreshed/changed since 1996, so spare/aftermarket parts are extremely easy to come by.

DR's get a bad rep, but outside the pogo-stick suspension they're reliable workhorses.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Anecdotal evidence of suzuki quality:

1989 ZXR250: circular rubber seal on the underside of the gas cap lock cover hatch thingy to stop water getting in the lock barrel. It gets pressed onto the barrel by the spring loaded force of the hatch.
2008 CBR125: Rubber o-ring on the cap assembly surrounding the barrel itself with the hatch on a spring.
2007 Bandit 1200: No form of o-ring/seal whatsoever, the hatch rests on a little rubber stopper that keeps it a healthy 1-2mm away from the lock barrel for maximum water flow.

It isn't that they're cheaper or somehow worse quality like a chinese bike. It's more like the parts are made acceptably well, the design is functionally acceptable, yet they're also heavily built to a cost. The DR650 exemplifies what I think of as the 'WW2 soviet russia' ethos of good:cheap. And they seem to be like this in every category, just appropriately scaled for the model segment.

If the soviet army needed to drive the nazis to berlin on a bunch of ADV bikes they'd pick a DR over a GS or similar every time and I've always liked them despite never harbouring any desire to own one ever.

The GSXR is like the loving AK47 of crotchrockets.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coydog posted:

This is the best description of the Seattle dual sport market I've seen.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Buy a crf250 or save up for a wr250?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Partial Octopus posted:

Buy a crf250 or save up for a wr250?

Save up for a CRF250R

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Save up for a CRF250R

250r is not a dual sport

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

EX250 Type R posted:

250r is not a dual sport

No. No, it is not.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Within a couple weeks I'm closing on a new house. This house is 6 minutes/2 miles from my workplace; which is way too short of a drive from my car to warm up sufficiently. Environmental factors (and being a lazy gently caress) prohibit me from just riding a bike/walking to work on a daily basis. I was thinking about getting a used Ruckus off craiglist and using that as back-and-forth, but a coworker (who is a "motorcycle guy") dropped by this morning and told me I should look into a CSC bike. He described them as "cheap Chinese knock-offs of Honda motorcycles" from the late 90s/early 00s.

Any suggestions?

I'm not against getting a motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license, but I'd like to keep the cost at $3K or under. I also haven't ridden a motorized two-wheeled device since in over 20 years.

EDIT: vvvv I work on my own car(s), I don't have a problem with mechanicals and from what I've seen 2-stroke bikes are way, WAY easier to work on than a modern FI car.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 15, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you want something you can just take into a shop twice a year to have serviced and still be dependable, a Ruckus would be a better option. CSC assumes you have tools and a place to work and are OK fiddling with it.

If I had a 2-mile commute and I was looking for 2 wheels to do it on, I'd be looking at old air cooled 2 stroke enduros like a TS185.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 15, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What about a $350 Honda elite? I still think you should take the muffler brc and get your endorsement, for safety, but it would do what you want for cheap.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Buy a used Honda or Yamaha with good parts support at the same price as the new Chinese knockoff, regardless of whether it's a scooter or a motorcycle. When you want to sell it later on to get something bigger TAH DAH you get back what you paid for it. Most of those Chinese brands are landfill fodder and have zero value once you ride them off the lot, and build quality and parts support is (generally) abysmal.

I guess what I am saying is buy a Honda MB5.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/5762672211.html

So I'm thinking about checking this bike out.

I'm coming from a KLR, never really ridden sport bikes. People really seem to like these things and it looks like the guy's put a few of the little things that'd I'd end up spending a few hundred dollars on onto the bike already.

Does it look like a pretty good deal if I can talk him down like three or four hundo?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/5762672211.html

So I'm thinking about checking this bike out.

I'm coming from a KLR, never really ridden sport bikes. People really seem to like these things and it looks like the guy's put a few of the little things that'd I'd end up spending a few hundred dollars on onto the bike already.

Does it look like a pretty good deal if I can talk him down like three or four hundo?

i wouldn't call it a deal but that's probably about what you'd expect to pay

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sigma X posted:

Within a couple weeks I'm closing on a new house. This house is 6 minutes/2 miles from my workplace; which is way too short of a drive from my car to warm up sufficiently. Environmental factors (and being a lazy gently caress) prohibit me from just riding a bike/walking to work on a daily basis. I was thinking about getting a used Ruckus off craiglist and using that as back-and-forth, but a coworker (who is a "motorcycle guy") dropped by this morning and told me I should look into a CSC bike. He described them as "cheap Chinese knock-offs of Honda motorcycles" from the late 90s/early 00s.

Any suggestions?

I'm not against getting a motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license, but I'd like to keep the cost at $3K or under. I also haven't ridden a motorized two-wheeled device since in over 20 years.

EDIT: vvvv I work on my own car(s), I don't have a problem with mechanicals and from what I've seen 2-stroke bikes are way, WAY easier to work on than a modern FI car.

I also live 2 miles from my office. It takes far less time for me to ride my bike than it does to get the motorcycle out of the garage, warm it up, get my gear on, ride to the office, and take my gear back off once I get there.

Just ride a bike and quit being a lazy gently caress.

edit: I mean, get a motorbike anyway because they're fun, but not because you're a lazy gently caress.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Sigma X posted:

Any suggestions?

You still need to warm a motorcycle up, and that short a trip wont do it sufficiently for a motorcycle either. As mentioned, you'll spend more time turning it on, getting it warmed up and throwing on a helmet and jacket than it'll take to just ride a bicycle there. If you're set on being lazy, personally my choice would be to get a CT110 or some other scooter and use it for around town duties as well.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

2 miles is hoverboard distance, too. You can get a really hipster one for 3k dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Get an electric chinese scoota