Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RBA Starblade posted:

I just don't see myself buying a new product regardless, except maybe eight years later when the Deck is wholly obsolete. Right now it's perfect

Yeah at this point I'm more than happy tinkering with the end result being either "probably not going to happen" or "pretty loving good". I mean, I did a full playthrough of Stellaris on this stupid thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

jokes posted:

Yeah at this point I'm more than happy tinkering with the end result being either "probably not going to happen" or "pretty loving good". I mean, I did a full playthrough of Stellaris on this stupid thing.

How did *that* go? Could you read any text at all?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

I played like 5 hours of Stellaris on a flight. It works surprisingly well. Like totally doable. HoI4, however, does not play well at all.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It had never occurred to me to put Stellaris on the thing. Hmmm.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

There's ui scaling on most modern grand strategy games from paradox so it works pretty well. I've played Stellaris and Victoria 3 on the thing, no issues outside of battery.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

HopperUK posted:

Absurdly well. It doesn't have any reason to be working as well as it does, basically. But then again 4Xes aren't exactly graphically intensive. I think it made me get a lot better at the touchpad really quickly since (for me at least), Stellaris is very much a mouse-based video game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks so much. Between this and Path of Exile apparently working really well, I am going to have a good four-day weekend

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I had to follow these instructions to get Stellaris to launch. Note: the game itself works fantastically, it's Paradox's nonsense launcher that doesn't. Supposedly Paradox's launcher team got a bunch of decks specifically so they can make sure it works, according to someone at paradox on their forums. They also hinted at adding controller support, not that it's necessary.

The Internet posted:

Switch over to Desktop mode - open steam library - right click on Stellaris, manage, browse local files.

When that page opens up, look down near the bottom for a file just called "stellaris", it'll have a grey back ground with a "!" in a box.

Right click it and copy location.

Then go back to Steam library and right click on Stellaris, open properties, on the general tab you'll see a launch options, paste the file location in here.

Then a space and add %command%

Then when you next run Stellaris either from Desktop mode or from the normal steam deck bit, the game will run normally.

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 5, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

jokes posted:

I had to follow these instructions to get Stellaris to launch. Note: the game itself works fantastically, it's Paradox's nonsense launcher that doesn't. Supposedly Paradox's launcher team got a bunch of decks specifically so they can make sure it works, according to someone at paradox on their forums. They also hinted at adding controller support, not that it's necessary.

It worked out of the box for me 10 months back. They must've gently caress it up

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Vic posted:

It worked out of the box for me 10 months back. They must've gently caress it up

The paradox launcher borked things, they're aware and working to fix it to work on steam deck. in the meantime, that guide from jokes should work.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Crash nsane collection is on sale for $16. That one a good buy if I enjoyed them on playsation and want to play on deck?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vic posted:

You would be correct

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Game pass games work either streaming from a desktop or cloud streaming if you have ultimate. Either option seems easier than installing windows just for game pass.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Installing Windows is the easy part, Rufus downloads it and extracts it to the SD card for you, you never even see a Windows installer. Setting up glossi afterwards, is the annoying part.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Entering text to set up stuff (ie things not in game and not optimized for the onscreen keyboard) is extremely painful on the deck and I will just get my usb-c port expander and plug a keyboard in before I try that again. Just editing a couple lines in the launcher for gamepass xcloud was really frustrating!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rolo posted:

The switch was insanely good in 2017, playing BotW handheld was my favorite gaming experience since, like, Super Nintendo.

That said, Nintendo hasn’t given me anything to touch that high since. Smash and Mario were good but they also also came out like 4 years ago. Also trickling in NES games 6 years later on a subscription base is almost as bullshit as their online infrastructure in general.

This is me too. I played my switch a shitload but it's been collecting dust for a long time. The switch without a grip (I use a satisfye and it's great) sucks but it's easy to fix at least. Still if it were more powerful I think I'd like it as much or more than the deck. I don't use the track pads really and it feels too wide and heavy. I do like having my whole steam library and pretty much any old game I'd like on it though... But not having to gently caress around and just turn on a game and it just *works* is something that is huge to me at this point. I only have so much motivation to play a game in the first place these days and any obstruction to that feels insurmountable.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I updated stuff in Desktop mode and now Deckyloader broke and won’t reinstall. Is it turbofucked for everyone?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s broken on the non-stable releases of steamOS at the moment according to an announcement I saw at some point yesterday in their discord channel

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That would explain it. I guess I could go back to a stable build, I don’t think I’m taking advantage of any cutting edge features right now.

I beat RE4R on PS5 yesterday and booted up RE Revelations 1 on my Deck for the hell of it. It is very apparent that it’s a port of a 3DS game, I tell you what.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

I just don't see myself buying a new product regardless, except maybe eight years later when the Deck is wholly obsolete. Right now it's perfect

There really is something about the momentum that comes from the mass adoption of the deck. If there are issues, chances are someone on reddit or wherever already has it figured out.

If you have this months GPD XDPDX+ or whatever? You might be on your own

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Talorat posted:

??? It’s like the most popular system of all time, and broke into demographics gaming has historically been terrible at reaching. It’s a historic success by any metric.

The Switch Lite turned my partner from someone who had never played any games in her life, including casual phone trash, into someone who recently got in a small amount of trouble because her boss caught her playing Elden Ring during a Zoom meeting when she had to share her screen.

The Switch is kind of hard to justify once you've burned through first-party titles if you have access to any other kind of gaming system, but it's probably the best gateway console ever created. Also still the better option for someone who wants to play a lot of smaller titles on the go in a 1000% seamless and trouble-free way. The Steam Deck is better, sure, but getting the most out of it requires putting up with at least a bit of PC gaming bullshit.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The real handheld question is how the gently caress did Sony drop the Vita ball so hard

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Expensive and no games unless you were really into JRPGs and Monster Hunter clones

If they’d paid Rockstar for a GTA or something it’d have done the business

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Also those loving memory cards sucked rear end and the larger ones were unreliable as gently caress

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vita and 3DS were the first handhelds to come out in a post-smartphone world. Sony figured “more power = better” and it cost them. 3DS would have died right out of the gate if it weren’t for a strategic price cut and strong first and third party software.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Saint Freak posted:

The real handheld question is how the gently caress did Sony drop the Vita ball so hard

This still makes me sad, because the Vita was wonderful. I never personally had the love for the Switch that most people seem to have, but I understood it because I had a Vita.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

History Comes Inside! posted:

Also those loving memory cards sucked rear end and the larger ones were unreliable as gently caress

This was the main thing for me. I was going to get a Vita but then I found out they had proprietary memory cards that were absurdly priced. Somehow Nintendo was more forward thinking in letting you just use a normal SD card.

I bought a Vita tv sometime later for fifty bucks, forgot about the memory card thing and then never used it. Then I lost it in a move. I am still so sour about that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

3DS would have died right out of the gate if it weren’t for a strategic price cut and strong first and third party software.
It also helped that the primary demographic for the 3DS was kids who couldn't afford (or otherwise have) smartphones and the latter hadn't been out long enough for hand-me-downs to be commonplace.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Remote Play made the Vita the best PS4 accessory you could get. Chiaki makes the Steam Deck the best PS5 accessory you could get :twisted:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

the 3ds family is great systems. i love them. even tho they don't feel comfortable exactly they still feel great in your hand. definitive way to emulate snes etc for me. nintendo's gimmicks are there to force 3rd parties to do something different, and the two screens and 3d were maybe largely wasted opportunities for art directors who weren't quite creative enough to use it well, but it still keeps the games from being "whatever was popular at the time, and different inasmuch as it's a compromised experience due to system limitations" you know lots of personality

still mad my 3ds got stolen i salute thee wherever thou art. i wish i could buy another one but i won't cause there's a million more justified purchases

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I legit think I remote played with my vita more than I played any native vita games it was the poo poo

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Momomo posted:

Somehow Nintendo was more forward thinking in letting you just use a normal SD card.
Nintendo started using SD cards for storage with the Wii, right around the time that SD was winning out among different flash media types. I don't know if they were just fed-up with GC memory cards or if it ended up not being as lucrative, but it was a bit unlike Sony who was still trying to push Memory Stick across multiple devices.

These days you have Sandisk selling stupid-expensive licensed microSD cards even though regular ones work just fine. So I guess it's win-win for Nintendo there.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

hotkey
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/442777/paste-timestamp-hotkey

quote:

Under X11, you could use xbindkey to handle a specific key or key combination and have it simulate a series of keypress and keyrelease events (using xte or xdotool for instance). Which would work for any application connecting to the same X server and is active.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For these two you might be able to do it with xmodmap, at least for desktop mode. Because X is, old, it has multiple understandings of what keymaps are, and xmodmap deals with one of the older understandings. But it's pretty straightforward for small mapping changes.

The alternative is setxbmap/xkbcomp particularly if what you want to do is already covered by an existing option, but when I've tried to use it to do a partial manual mapping I couldn't get it to work the way I want.

I don't know if any of that is actually helpful, sorry!

Mescal fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 5, 2023

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Not sure if this is that trustworthy of a site, but they are claiming to know that a new Playstation Handheld is in development.

https://insider-gaming.com/playstation-handheld/

"Codenamed the Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware that aims to be yet another piece of hardware that requires the PlayStation 5. Insider Gaming understands that the Q Lite is not a cloud-streaming device, but instead uses Remote Play with the PlayStation 5"

I think that kills it TBH, why wouldn't I just use my phone and bluetooth controller both of which I already own?

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 5, 2023

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Suran37 posted:

Not sure if this is that trustworthy of a site, but they are claiming to know that a new Playstation Handheld is in development.

https://insider-gaming.com/playstation-handheld/

"Codenamed the Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware that aims to be yet another piece of hardware that requires the PlayStation 5. Insider Gaming understands that the Q Lite is not a cloud-streaming device, but instead uses Remote Play with the PlayStation 5"

I think that kills it TBH, why wouldn't I just use my phone and bluetooth controller both of which I already own?

If it's just a remote play device it better be cheap. Not sure why you'd buy it otherwise.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’ve never heard of that site so it seems weird that they’d get an exclusive scoop.

Also, I think this would be confusing to the general public. People hear that Sony releases a new handheld, oh, is it a new PSP/Vita? No? Oh, it plays PS5 games? Kinda??

I’m imagining Wii U levels of confusion.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’ve never heard of that site so it seems weird that they’d get an exclusive scoop.

Also, I think this would be confusing to the general public. People hear that Sony releases a new handheld, oh, is it a new PSP/Vita? No? Oh, it plays PS5 games? Kinda??

I’m imagining Wii U levels of confusion.

Well, in this case we actually would be talking about a PS5 accessory, so the general public's response to it would be appropriate, unlike with the Wii U. But I do agree, they need to be clear both in how they name this thing and how they market it what it actually is, assuming it's real.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vita 2 would heal the divides of this world.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This broken world can only be mended with a Vita 2, if it has an OLED screen and also has a bigger screen because holy poo poo that thang tiny