Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man, imagine the bullshit Uso could pull in a Valkyrie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

HitTheTargets posted:

Are we at the No items, Fox only portion of the conversation?

Psycho Landlord posted:

Also no items, final destination.

:colbert:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

Does Amuro get his unique Ace Bonus? Because Max has never been in a SRW game (IIRC) that has them.

Max was in Alpha 3 which had Squad Leader bonuses and tbh those were kind of the same thing but earlier.

Honestly if you want a portrayal of what Max might look like in a modern SRW you should at Kei from Orguss who, total shocker here, has a 90% identical stat spread and skill list to Amuro.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Sorry. It’s just that this one of those threads where if I see 30+ new posts overnight, I assume there’s been a slapfight over IBO or the exact level of Char or Amuro’s neurosis. So I skip ahead a bit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Not that Amuro isn't a great pilot, but I'd put Max ahead of him personally. Max's entire characterization in SDF is basically "yea, he's amazing at everything but also just a cool guy who wants to help everyone", but because he's a secondary character it never gets overwhelming. He's the one that pioneers using the form changes of the variable fighters mid-combat to evade enemy fire and attack from the most beneficial angle, and he does some insane stuff himself. Including flying a Valkyrie inside the corridors of an enemy ship and fighting in otherwise pitch dark by using the sporadic and sparse light from muzzle fire to sense what's going on around him at the very least. Then in 7 he starts pulling insane poo poo using a starship as it's captain instead of a one man fighter; telling the gunner to fire at empty space when there's no indication of enemy movement and then having it hit an incoming fleet because he was able to predict their arrival among other things. He's not an actual space psychic like Amuro, but he might as well be in terms of the things he does at times.

And Amuro's regularly shown to be better than the best, despite being kind of a nervous wreck a lot of the time, with serious issues from his time as a pilot. If I remember right we've disagreed previously on our reads of the opening fight to CCA, but even if you don't give him the W there, he's clearly head and shoulders above everyone else assuming equivalent machines.

Allowing some EU stuff for a moment for context, in The Return of Johnny Ridden, there's this guy, Uma Lightning. He's a gen-zero cyber newtype, and one of his former wingmen, a fellow ace pilot, says there's maybe a dozen people in the entire solar system who can match him. (It's been a little bit since I read the chapter, so I'm not entirely sure on the exact number here, but it's somewhere south of thirty at worst). He teams up later with two of the people on that list to fight Char.

They get their asses kicked. (In contrast, Johnny Ridden managed to merely lose going one on one. It's his manga, after all.)

Combined with the Build Fighters web short that had Char fight Ribbons, it's clear that the official Gundam pilot hierarchy is intended to be Amuro > Char >>> Any other pilot, with Amuro pulling similar "There is no way anyone could do that" tricks in his appearances. (Only with the whole psychic powers thing as a justification).

Not saying anything against Max, to be clear. Just that Amuro has a similar best of the best position. Assuming there was an official crossover outside of SRW, I'd think that it would be inconclusive leaning in Amuro's direction, because he's the lead character in a more successful franchise, and that tends to be a deciding factor in these things when it's close.

(Of course, either way it would have a ton of moments hyping the other guy up, because that's also how crossovers go. If you didn't have people in gape mouthed wonder at someone keeping up with Max, or Amuro doing the Yazan "I'm not getting any pressure. He's just that strong!" bit, you're almost missing the point of having them scrap in the first place.)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

An Amuro vs Max throwdown would just result in them becoming friends anyway because Max appears to love people who can keep up with him and he's generally good natured enough that Amuro would probably think it was refreshing to not be fighting a psychopath and then wacky hijinks would ensue

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Psycho Landlord posted:

An Amuro vs Max throwdown would just result in them becoming friends anyway because Max appears to love people who can keep up with him and he's generally good natured enough that Amuro would probably think it was refreshing to not be fighting a psychopath and then wacky hijinks would ensue

I don't think he can end the fight by marrying Amuro. Milia wouldn't like it for one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think he can end the fight by marrying Amuro. Milia wouldn't like it for one.

I feel like Milia would be okay with that particular poly relationship.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You just get married to the mightiest warrior. It makes sense.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is the Glory of Losers manga worth looking into? What does it change from the Wing anime?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Is the Glory of Losers manga worth looking into? What does it change from the Wing anime?

It uses the Katoki redesigns.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

NikkolasKing posted:

I picked up the first volume, and it felt kinda like patch notes. Like, it basically assumed you were familiar with the events of the show and the prequel manga, and Glory of Losers was showing you slightly different takes on show events to fit the various manga in better and smooth the whole continuity out so it could lead up nicely into Frozen Teardrop.

I've heard that it pretty quickly becomes better, like an actual retelling of the show more than just patch notes. I do want to give it another try one of these days, but the first volume did not inspire me to continue

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Psycho Landlord posted:

The gunpod was just a 55mm cannon firing depleted uranium AT rounds, which probably won’t pierce an I-Field or gundanium or (insert thing here)

I thought I-fields only worked stopped other Minovsky particle derived energy weapons? They don't affect physical weaponry at all from my recollection, so gunpod rounds should sail right through them. Not that Amuro ever used an I-field, since the Nu's shielding was some kind of proto-beam shielding from what I gather. I also don't see why gunpod rounds wouldn't pierce luna titanium, since luna titanium is not akin to phase shift and doesn't nullify any and all physical attacks ever (at least, as long as the energy source feeding it holds out). It's penetrated for the first time four or five episodes in to 0079, when Char uses a bazooka to blow a hole in the Gundam's shield and the heat axe to tear a slash in to it. A shield, which, logically has to be made of luna titanium, since otherwise it means the shield meant to block attacks and protect the main body has weaker armor than the actual main body. Which makes no sense.

There's also the fact that Zeon's response to the Zaku II's 120mm machine gun being completely ineffective against luna titanium was to decrease the size of the ordinance and use 90mm machine gun shells, with the assumption the guns fire faster or use more effective construction methods despite having smaller bullets and that some later units like the Gouf can and did repeatedly damage the Gundam using physical weaponry, be it heat whips or heat swords. A lot of the tension in some of the mid-show fights also relies on the assumption the physical weapons of newer units can pierce the Gundam's armor. The Black Tri-Stars and their Dom's are a lot less threatening if you just assume "Oh, their main weapons can't actually hurt the Gundam anyway". Sayla also warns Amuro in episode 7 or 8 that while the Zaku II's 120mm machine gun is generally ineffective, if Char kept hitting him in the same place with it, it'd pierce the armor regardless. So even if you wanted to argue that luna titanium is immune to physical attacks, despite several implications this isn't true in the first series alone, it can be pierced if hit repeatedly.

3 posted:

Also don't forget that Max canonically has a VF-22, so I doubt he'd be stuck with aging Space War I tech if Amuro gets the Nu Gundam for example.

Max and Millia open a private air-field with personal variations of variable fighters after they retire, so they could have everything and anything there really. I'd love to see Max and/or Millia pilot Destroids or Monsters, but they're unlikely to ever pilot anything but VF-22's in tiny cameos like the Frontier movies ever again really.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man, imagine the bullshit Uso could pull in a Valkyrie.

I'm honestly not sure what he could even pull that'd be more bullshit than the stuff Max, Basara and/or Hayate have already done. Uso would probably take a lot of advantage of the form shifting capabilities of a variable fighter, but when you've got guys like Basara who can pilot a stock VF-1 two seater through an active battlefield while playing an acoustic guitar and controlling the machine mostly by nudging the controls with his guitar or Hayate breakdancing it's kind of hard to imagine anything more weird than what you've already got. As is, Uso was already using the Victory's like a variable fighter at times and even used a pseudo Gerwalk at one point, with the Victory hunched over mid-transformation, arms and legs out but the torso still visibly plane like in profile.

chiasaur11 posted:

Not saying anything against Max, to be clear. Just that Amuro has a similar best of the best position. Assuming there was an official crossover outside of SRW, I'd think that it would be inconclusive leaning in Amuro's direction, because he's the lead character in a more successful franchise, and that tends to be a deciding factor in these things when it's close.

I can totally see an official crossover in a video-game, anime etc. going that way, and honestly, I'm not even sure I'd want it done another way, since, as you pointed out, Max is only ever a secondary character while Amuro is the Gundam protagonist, and frankly, set the archetype for mecha protagonists in more pragmatic works as a whole for decades to come; I'd just put Max as slightly the better pilot on a personal, unofficial level.

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like Milia would be okay with that particular poly relationship.

I know I would be. I don't tend to think of myself as particularly concerned with ships in fiction, or even as a fanboy for any particular character but the suggestion Max would shack up with Cima a page or so back kind of annoyed me and in doing so made me re-examine my view on those things a bit, but regardless, I'd be totally fine with the idea of Max hooking up with Amuro; because Amuro is cool and seems like a great enough pilot, as well as a nice enough person for Max while Cima sucks.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 29, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

I only read part but I enjoyed it. Sadly, I think I fell off before it did any big changes, but even where I was it felt like a nice, more complete version of the events of the anime with the extra stuff added in. As well as some new stuff, including Heavyarms: More Guns, which is all I really needed in Gundam really.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Heavyarms should just go with Guncannon style tank treads. It could totally pull it off.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

how does it move

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

GulagDolls posted:

how does it move

Scoots backward from the recoil.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Heavyarms should just go with Guncannon style tank treads. It could totally pull it off.

it does, that's what the things on the legs are

GulagDolls posted:

how does it move

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Glory of the Losers also brings us this incredible panel:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm now reminded of Super Robot Wars Z2.2 which has a late-game scene where Wufei says "Y'all are morons" to the entire hero cast, and backs his point up with evidence, and is totally correct.

I think that's the most sober and rational I remember Wufei ever being.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I haven’t finished Glory of the Losers but I did appreciate the way it worked in both the original show and Endless Waltz’s Wing Zeros designs.

Zero originally shows up in its show design, called the Prototype, then gets trashed by Epyon as normal. Later it’s rebuilt by Zechs to be given to Heero, and hey turns out the ol Tallgeese had an upgrade earlier on with some dope angel wings, pop those on Wkng Zero. Now it’s got its EW look.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Finally, what we've all been waiting for; Thunderbolt Galbaldy

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
One of the early changes I really like on Glory of Losers involves Relena's dad's death but uh that may also be because I am still a 13 year old girl inside when it comes to anime.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

ManSedan posted:

I haven’t finished Glory of the Losers but I did appreciate the way it worked in both the original show and Endless Waltz’s Wing Zeros designs.

Zero originally shows up in its show design, called the Prototype, then gets trashed by Epyon as normal. Later it’s rebuilt by Zechs to be given to Heero, and hey turns out the ol Tallgeese had an upgrade earlier on with some dope angel wings, pop those on Wkng Zero. Now it’s got its EW look.

Proto-Zero gets trashed by the Duo/Hilde tag team.

Tallgeese Flugel owns.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Spelling Mitsake posted:

only if Trowa still does the acrobat pirouette spin /with/ the tank treads

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

This reminds me of near the end of the anime where Wufei says - while bending and unbending a metal bar - that he thought Heero was the sanest of the five of them.

They're not great judges of character.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

This reminds me of near the end of the anime where Wufei says - while bending and unbending a metal bar - that he thought Heero was the sanest of the five of them.

They're not great judges of character.

Turns out, expecting someone with clear insanity to judge other people isn't the best idea.

And that goes for...everyone in Wing. Literally every single person.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know, Howard seemed okay. His way of dealing with everyone else's batshit insanity was to just take a spaceship and gently caress off; only really dealing with a handful of people who were at least pointing their insanity in a good direction.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also a sensible wardrobe. :)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sally Po was sane except for her inexplicable liking of Wufei.

Random note: she's the one kind of major character with an obvious voice change in the dub. At first she's Kagome fr om Inuyasha and it dos not fit her at all. The later, deeper voice was much more appropriate. Nothing against Moneca Stori (Kagome's dub VA) but she doesn't fit a woman like Sally.

Having watched Inuyasha first, it was interesting to hear the voices I think of before they were the voices I think of. David Kaye's Sessh omaru is basically Treize, Kirby Morrow sounds the same between Trowa and Miroku , Kagome' s mom is Dorothy , and the rest.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 29, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

Sally Po was sane except for her inexplicable liking of Wufei.

That alone makes her the most insane person in the setting.

Then again, she ends up having a daughter with someone else, so at least she realized that was a terrible idea before it was far too late.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno. I mean, there's a character with Dissociative Identity Disorder and a man who spares Wufei because... nobility of spirit?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Trieze spares Wufei because he thinks Wufei can go further than him, and achieve his goals (peace, stability, relative freedom for everyone, the abolition of drones from warfare and respect of soldiers without abandoning them during that peace etc). I don't know why, because Treize seemed more capable than Wufei, but that's the reason in show at least.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

LibrarianCroaker posted:

gundam wing is so loving stupid

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Omnicrom posted:

I'm now reminded of Super Robot Wars Z2.2 which has a late-game scene where Wufei says "Y'all are morons" to the entire hero cast, and backs his point up with evidence, and is totally correct.

I think that's the most sober and rational I remember Wufei ever being.

Yeah! And then in Z3.1 there's a stage where there's a little military base whose staff consists of Roger from Big O, Shin Getter Ryouma, Votoms Chirico and Wufei and somehow Wufei is the one in charge. Roger is either the best or worst negotiator. The stage is Wufei telling the others to go home so he can try to solo the stage and die and the others showing up a turn in calling him an idiot. Classic Wufei.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Having flipped through Glory last night I'm gonna say it's a really gorgeous manga regardless of how you feel about Gundam Wing (it's largely a retelling of the story, with some minor mixups like this character is here instead of there and some of the Backstory Bits for the other Gundam pilots inserted in); both the character and mobile suits look really good and there's a lot of really nice action panels and dynamic angles in it.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

tsob posted:

There's also the fact that Zeon's response to the Zaku II's 120mm machine gun being completely ineffective against luna titanium was to decrease the size of the ordinance and use 90mm machine gun shells, with the assumption the guns fire faster or use more effective construction methods despite having smaller bullets and that some later units like the Gouf can and did repeatedly damage the Gundam using physical weaponry, be it heat whips or heat swords. A lot of the tension in some of the mid-show fights also relies on the assumption the physical weapons of newer units can pierce the Gundam's armor. The Black Tri-Stars and their Dom's are a lot less threatening if you just assume "Oh, their main weapons can't actually hurt the Gundam anyway". Sayla also warns Amuro in episode 7 or 8 that while the Zaku II's 120mm machine gun is generally ineffective, if Char kept hitting him in the same place with it, it'd pierce the armor regardless. So even if you wanted to argue that luna titanium is immune to physical attacks, despite several implications this isn't true in the first series alone, it can be pierced if hit repeatedly.

Zeon went to 90mm because of velocity and weight. I guess they could have gone for calibers in between the 120 mg or maybe a higher velocity 120 but either way the weapon woud be increasingly heavy and unwieldy and thus not as useful for space dogfights. Not only was the 90mm more effective, it was probably a couple tons lighter. It's basically the same reason the entire world is using 5.56 and 5.45mm rifles instead of 7.62N, etc.

Bazookas are effective because they're loving huge, and heat weapons are effective because melting it is apparently more effective than breaking it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CMD598 posted:

Bazookas are effective because they're loving huge, and heat weapons are effective because melting it is apparently more effective than breaking it.
I got a catchy Gundam OP vibe from this, for some reason. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I mean, with explosive weapons, yeah. You don't have to destroy the target, just concuss the pilot.

Honestly, Mikazuki would probably dig that theory of weapon design.