Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pigbuster posted:

If Marvel wanted to get a make-up Oscar of their own, which hero could they depict to do it? Pretty much everyone they’ve done so far is either a regular human or all CG.

It'd have to be someone vaguely humanoid or at least human-shaped, almost or human-sized, but still requires a ton of prosthetics to portray effectively. So I dunno. I'd say The Thing but they don't have FF. Maybe She-Hulk? Although she probably wouldn't be extensive enough, it's either green bodypaint or CGI, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Adam Warlock, just tons of golden body paint.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Honestly they should have gotten it for Guardians though I don't remember what they were up against.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Reminder that everyone in Guardians are wearing practical prosthetics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Honestly they should have gotten it for Guardians though I don't remember what they were up against.

The Grand Budapest Hotel (which won) and Foxcatcher.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Which character did ss win the make-up award for?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

site posted:

Which character did ss win the make-up award for?

I think it's for the film as a whole rather than any specific character (although in some cases it does boil down to one character).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nominations are for the whole movie, not specific characters.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah but come on they're not handing out the makeup award for Harley Quinn so was it for croc or what don't be dense guys

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

site posted:

Yeah but come on they're not handing out the makeup award for Harley Quinn so was it for croc or what don't be dense guys

The movie is nominated and then people vote for whatever they want for whatever reason. Each year Hollywood Reporter asks some academy members how they voted and why, and then publishes the results anonymously. Here are 3 of the responses for 2017. #2, #5 and #6 in the series abstained because they hadn't seen some or all of the films, but there's no actual requirement for that as you'll see.

Brutally Honest Voter #1 posted:

I didn’t like Suicide Squad very much. The Star Trek [Beyond] DVD they sent me stopped halfway through — something was wrong with it — so I called them and asked them to send me another, but they never did, so that eliminated them! The funny thing is I probably would have voted for them. Again, I liked A Man Called Ove — the whole movie — so that’s the one.

My vote
A Man Called Ove

Brutally Honest Voter #3 posted:

I really loved A Man Called Ove, and I can't say anything bad about Star Trek Beyond. But as a heterosexual male, it's hard not to vote for Harley Quinn [the character played by Margot Robbie in Suicide Squad] — plus, the makeup was really, really good. I'm surprised it didn't get other tech credits, as well, but I guess it's not really an Academy movie — it was way too much fun.

My vote
Suicide Squad

Brutally Honest Vote #4 posted:

I voted for A Man Called Ove. Unfortunately, it's the only one of the three that I saw — I'm sure Star Trek [Beyond] and Suicide Squad are wonderful — but I thought it was very imaginative.

My vote
A Man Called Ove

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 1, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Croc, Joker, Diablo, and what's her name the bad lady are all probably part of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All those tattoos are also makeup. Making them look like real tattoos takes work.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

howe_sam posted:

And their skin tones are unmatched, like I was super impressed.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The movie is nominated and then people vote for whatever they want for whatever reason. Each year Hollywood Reporter asks some academy members how they voted and why, and then publishes the results anonymously. Here are 3 of the responses for 2017. #2, #5 and #6 in the series abstained because they hadn't seen some or all of the films, but there's no actual requirement for that as you'll see.

Lol what a loving joke

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
"It's hard not to vote for Margo Robbie" well I guess it really was for Harley Quinn how sad is that

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mr Hootington posted:

Lol what a loving joke

The whole system's a joke. You want a good laugh, look up the MPAA ratings system and all the "rules" behind it. What a loving shitshow.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

For what it's worth, Marvel hired Chris Nelson (The guy who did Killer Croc's makeup) on for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. He's also doing Infinity War. Before Suicide Squad he worked for Fox on Deadpool.

The whole MCU/DCEU rivalry is strictly between the fandoms -- there's a lot of crossover on the various crews, and I'm glad they're getting recognition for their work.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Aphrodite posted:

Carol Danvers is a Major.

You've got to be a Captain first to be promoted to Major in the USAF, with rare exceptions such as doctors who might commission directly to advanced ranks. That's what you get for trying to out pedant me!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I have seen a Man Called Ove.

It's a really sweet drama about an old man opening up to his neighbours....but a nomination for best make up?

I can't understand that at all.

At least with Star Trek and Suicide Squad you can objectively say "wow they put makeup on those people to make them look weird. I can acknowledge that took time and effort."
I can only read it as "let's give this film a nomination for something. And the random wheel put it in the Makeup category."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The most ridiculous semi-mainstream awards are the Saturn Awards. That's meant to be the science-fiction and fantasy awards show, branching out into action, superheroes, thrillers etc. but still broadly in the "genre fiction" category.

So it's very confusing to me why they gave Breaking Bad awards for the best science-fiction TV show. Not as much as giving Hidden Figures (a biopic about underlooked African-American women who worked as mathematicians for NASA in the 1960s) an award for "Best Action or Adventure Film".

I'm genuinely surprised there aren't more "Top 10 Most Ridiculous Saturn Award Wins" listicles on the likes of Cracked, because there's loads of them.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Pigbuster posted:

If Marvel wanted to get a make-up Oscar of their own, which hero could they depict to do it? Pretty much everyone they’ve done so far is either a regular human or all CG.

It's time for Man-Thing 2.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

howe_sam posted:

Bradley Cooper is short

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

The Question IRL posted:

I have seen a Man Called Ove.

It's a really sweet drama about an old man opening up to his neighbours....but a nomination for best make up?

I can't understand that at all.

The lead actor is actually 26.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Bradley Cooper is short
Bradley Cooper? I had no idea Vin Diesel was like a foot tall!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

You've got to be a Captain first to be promoted to Major in the USAF, with rare exceptions such as doctors who might commission directly to advanced ranks. That's what you get for trying to out pedant me!

His point is that current canon has her at the rank of Major before she semi-retired to be a superhero (or maybe to run a women's magazine for Jameson? I'm not sure how much of the original run on Ms Marvel has been retconned). I think she's even called Major (maybe even Col.?) Danvers in some of the more recent Alpha Flight stuff, presumably so she has chain of command on the non-superhero people.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

teagone posted:

That's the joke my dude. I'm a fan of DCEU movies, and I even think Suicide Squad is loving trash. [edit] I'd watch Suicide Squad over Thor 2 though.

My apologies. And yeah, you're right - I'd probably watch Suicide Squad over Thor 2 as well. At least Suicide Squad is a memorable trainwreck of a film, while Thor 2 just exists and has one of the worst villains in any superhero movie

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Rough Lobster posted:

The lead actor is actually 26.

You jest but it looks like they may have aged the guy up almost 20 years.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sgt. Politeness posted:

You jest but it looks like they may have aged the guy up almost 20 years.

True. But there is a world of difference between aging someone from their 20's to their 40's or aging them from their 60's to the 80's as is the case with the man actor there.

Like, it at least make sense why they nominate it for best makeup if they did age him up.
But surely there were other film that year with more impressive make-up work.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I disagree about the villain in Thor 2.. The bad thing about the villain in that movie is that it's a waste of Christopher Eccleston and he's completely unmemorable and not compelling at all, but the villain in Suicide Squad manages to drag down an already pretty terrible movie, which is a feat unto itself.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gaz-L posted:

His point is that current canon has her at the rank of Major before she semi-retired to be a superhero (or maybe to run a women's magazine for Jameson? I'm not sure how much of the original run on Ms Marvel has been retconned). I think she's even called Major (maybe even Col.?) Danvers in some of the more recent Alpha Flight stuff, presumably so she has chain of command on the non-superhero people.

At the start of the KSD run she says she was a full bird colonel when she left the service, which is also where the "technically I outrank Captain America" joke comes from.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Arist posted:

I disagree about the villain in Thor 2.. The bad thing about the villain in that movie is that it's a waste of Christopher Eccleston and he's completely unmemorable and not compelling at all, but the villain in Suicide Squad manages to drag down an already pretty terrible movie, which is a feat unto itself.

That's the biggest issue I had with Malekith - it was a complete waste of Christopher Eccleston, and he was completely unmemorable and not compelling, as you said. I don't remember a single thing about the villain in that movie.

Suicide Squad at least had a memorable villain in how comically awful the Enchantress and her goons were. Pure schlock. I'm not saying one was better than the other - both were awful - but I end up remembering more about the Enchantress because of how bad the adaptation was.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Arist posted:

Enchantress is way more memorable than Eccleston's Dark Elf thing because her acting is hilariously bad to a point where it's entertainingly bad. Dark Elf dude is just... there. Nothing compelling or funny, just plain old bad and boring. Enchantress at least had one cool and memorable scene too, the office one where we first see her turn with that hand switch thing. I honestly can't remember a single thing that Eccleston did in Thor 2 as the villain. [edit] Oh wait, he killed Thor's mom.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 1, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

howe_sam posted:

At the start of the KSD run she says she was a full bird colonel when she left the service, which is also where the "technically I outrank Captain America" joke comes from.

She was a Major and upon her retirement was promoted to Colonel. I don't know if that's an actual thing the air force would do, or just a cover for a mistake though.

In any case that means movie Carol is probably going to be a Major.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

teagone posted:

Enchantress is way more memorable than Eccleston's Dark Elf thing because her acting is hilariously bad to a point where it's entertainingly bad. Dark Elf dude is just... there. Nothing compelling or funny, just plain old bad and boring. Enchantress at least had one cool and memorable scene too, the office one where we first see her turn with that hand switch thing. I honestly can't remember a single thing that Eccleston did in Thor 2 as the villain. [edit] Oh wait, he killed Thor's mom.

Exactly! My friend teagone gets it :hf:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I guess I don't think "memorable" is automatically a good thing. Like, I still don't like Wonder Woman's theme in the context of BvS (though I think it works a lot better in her own film).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arist posted:

I guess I don't think "memorable" is automatically a good thing. Like, I still don't like Wonder Woman's theme in the context of BvS (though I think it works a lot better in her own film).

Don't remind us of that man, you were doing so well.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Arist posted:

I agree with you there - it's not an automatically good thing. But "memorable" is better than "completely forgettable/boring". In this case, Suicide Squad's villain is more memorable because it's comic book schlock akin to Arnold Schwarzenegger's performance as Mr. Freeze in Batman & Robin.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jonny_Rocket posted:

That's the biggest issue I had with Malekith

I just kept thinking of this guy. This is another Dark Elf named Malekith. And interesting enough it's not clear which of the two Malekiths came first.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 1, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

howe_sam posted:

Pretty sure she makes a similar joke in the Endless Wartime graphic novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just kept thinking of this guy. This is another Dark Elf named Malekith. And interesting enough it's not clear which of the two Malekiths came first.

I researched this too.

Malekith first appeared in Thor 344 which came out in 1984, Warhammer didn't introduce the Witch King Malekith until the mid 90s, so Thor was first. Its funny that its the most obvious North American comic reference in Warhammer. Normally they just stick to ripping off 2000AD and such.

• Locked thread