Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think my favorite part of that entire video is when BrolyLegs puts up the post about offering to tutor LTG to not get 0-2'd by him, he changed his avatar to Krang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I want to mainswitch to a character that does well by moving forward a lot and pressing Good Buttons and committing meter (either kind) when they see a hit, what's the best char for that? Karin? Balrog? Nash? Kolin? That's basically my list so far.

edit: Bonus points if their v-skill functions in blockstrings or as a poke

Trykt fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 15, 2017

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Trykt posted:

I want to mainswitch to a character that does well by moving forward a lot and pressing Good Buttons and committing meter (either kind) when they see a hit, what's the best char for that? Karin? Balrog? Nash? Kolin? That's basically my list so far.

edit: Bonus points if their v-skill functions in blockstrings or as a poke

Ibuki sounds perfect

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Joke is on you, there's no character with good buttons in SFV!

Seriously though, probably one of the first two, or Cammy.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Probably Balrog, he has A Good Button (st.RH? whichever is the CC one) that you can press over and over until it lands and then EX into full corner carry from literally anywhere and then frametrap them to death with more good buttons

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

cammys kicks are redic

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

cammys kicks are redic

We'll see how much good those kicks do against Zangief's counter

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

cammys kicks are redic

Yeah cammy is v. Strong

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah cammy is v. Strong

and v.boring

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Cammy's probably the right choice since I also prefer to have a Real DP, plus I already have a significant amount of lab time with her from season 1.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

It doesnt make sense to care about how boring a character is if you're going to play this game honestly

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dont know, i mean she has great buttons and lots of frame traps/mixups so for me shes way more fun than most of the characters in the bad game

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

That's all of SF5 so you don't really have a choice tbh

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I look at some of those lengthy combos in the Ryu part of the OP and my eyes just glaze over

I'll just stick to bronze league and once in a while doing a c.mk xx ex tatsu on punish and trusty c.mk xx hadouken

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

oswald ownenstein posted:

I look at some of those lengthy combos in the Ryu part of the OP and my eyes just glaze over

I'll just stick to bronze league and once in a while doing a c.mk xx ex tatsu on punish and trusty c.mk xx hadouken

s.D, [BC], s.D, dp+A (1), (HDC) rdp+B, [dp+A (1), (HDC)(slightly charged and standing) qcb~hcf+A/C]x2, dp+A (1),(HDC) rdp+B, dp+C(1),(HDC) rdp+B, dp+C(1), (HDC) qcfx2+AC

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Btw what is up with Ryu in this game?

Like his sweep feels like it's as unsafe as a close range slide

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

it doesnt push back at all for some dumbass reason. half the cool part of a fg is if you space kinda unsafe moves they can be contextually safe.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

All sweeps are unsafe in this game

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

jmcrofts your youtube videos are great

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Don't try to memorize an entire list of combo notations, you're not going to learn anything that way. Pick just one combo from the list and try to learn it in training mode.

Most of those "lengthy" combos are ~4 attacks long. If you can do c.MK into a special move you're already halfway there!

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Fruitsnacks posted:

Don't try to memorize an entire list of combo notations, you're not going to learn anything that way. Pick just one combo from the list and try to learn it in training mode.

Most of those "lengthy" combos are ~4 attacks long. If you can do c.MK into a special move you're already halfway there!

I think the problem is I'm just slow and by the time I realize my hits aren't being blocked and I'm about to land the full combo I don't remember to V trigger and QCFx2

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sweeps are almost always unsafe, regardless of the game. But I'm going to let you in on a secret-- it's the exception, not the rule for a move to be lovely and unsafe in street fighter v.

That's not me being hyperbolic or whatever, it's just a general design rule of street fighter v.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Sweeps weren't universally unsafe in Street Fighter until 5.

They went thru extra effort to make them unsafe in this version down to specifically reducing the pushback on them and making them have extended hurtboxes that linger super long into recovery so that they're pretty much universally punishable at any range.

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011
It may just be me being bad, but I feel like with absolute pixel-perfect spacing some characters can make a sweep safe

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ADTerminal posted:

It may just be me being bad, but I feel like with absolute pixel-perfect spacing some characters can make a sweep safe

I think Karin and Birdie sweep can be safe vs some characters at max range

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I went to play a casual match today to remind myself how hosed the game is currently and it took 10 mins to find one and it lagged.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Zangief's sweep in ST is +1 at worst on block.
It has 8 active frames, so it can be up to +9.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

I went to play a casual match today to remind myself how hosed the game is currently and it took 10 mins to find one and it lagged.

T7 can't release soon enough.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Shiki Dan posted:

Zangief's sweep in ST is +1 at worst on block.
It has 8 active frames, so it can be up to +9.

a kd move thats safe on block but pushes you out of range instantly on use is really cool for a grappler imo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of sweeps.
Is there any sweep in SF4 that Vega cannot punish on block (other than Gouken's)?
Because I remember that being extremely annoying at first, when I started playing SFV. Not being able to punish sweeps of all things. With his normals being all slow rear end and garbage.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

anime was right posted:

a kd move thats safe on block but pushes you out of range instantly on use is really cool for a grappler imo

yeah but then he can just walk into range and tech the throw or block the reversal if the opponent panics. Decent trade off.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Jack Trades posted:

Because I remember that being extremely annoying at first, when I started playing SFV. Not being able to punish sweeps of all things. With his normals being all slow rear end and garbage.

if you can't punish sweeps in sf5 i think its you being rear end and garbage

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of sweeps.
Is there any sweep in SF4 that Vega cannot punish on block (other than Gouken's)?

I'm like 90% sure he can punish every sweep with his own sweep.

Though I've not played in a while because SFV is bad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

if you can't punish sweeps in sf5 i think its you being rear end and garbage

I'm talking max range sweeps specifically here.
I distinctly remember not having a long and fast enough normal to punish max range sweeps.

Spuckuk posted:

I'm like 90% sure he can punish every sweep with his own sweep.

Though I've not played in a while because SFV is bad.

On a second though that sounds about right. I was probably remembering being annoyed at only having slide as a punish instead of being able to do a cr.mp combo of any kind, like it worked in SF4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Somebody datamined new trials in the game code so maybe they wont be stuck in season 1 anymore

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

anime was right posted:

the coolest part is the animation being shared with all his other crouching kicks

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thailand + school costumes out next week: http://www.capcom-unity.com/harriso...-sfv-april-25th

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DLC costumes look great.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i really like all 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008