Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

I guess a one-mana creature tutor could be pretty good?

Worldly Tutor is somewhat hot, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Frozen_flame posted:

It can run Secure the Wastes, surely? And make dudes EOT with that land, or Gideon it up. It should be able to hit 5 creatures to sac.

E: Also will not be surprised if Sorin 4.0 makes vampires too.

Yeah, I definitely think that this land being successful is going to depend on how good secure the wastes is in the meta. An esper deck with jace can get 5 tokens without a problem.

anglachel posted:

I'm surprised Kalitas isn't spiking. I guess the MTGFinance types only spec if it's below 10 dollars. Issue with the finance folks is that I can't see Drana being a 4 of due to being legendary and the 3 drop spot looks like it's gonna be really crowed in that deck.

Kalitas is already the most expensive card in the set. He also, for whatever reason, plays really lack luster in standard for some odd reason. He just doesn't take over a game like you would think he would. Far too often you play him and think "I would just prefer to have a thunderbreak instead".

Sickening fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 17, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the tutor looks p sweet to me, i hope the self-mill is as good as it was so it's consistently on by turn 4 or so

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

If sorin comes out today and is b or b/r instead of b/w the vampire hype will have officially lost its breaks. The casual part of my playgroup is all in on vampires at the moment and I am sure a lot of casual players everywhere are too. The pre-release price of stuff vampire related will be bonkers.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 17, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Summoner's Pact has enabled some pretty degenerate stuff. This costs 1 more on the turn you play it but is a lot more flexible in terms of targets.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

If sorin comes out today and is b or b/r instead of b/w the vampire hype will have officially lost its breaks. The casual part of my playgroup is all in on vampires at the moment and I am sure a lot of casual players everywhere are too. The pre-release price of stuff vampire related will be bonkers.

I want him to be BR cuz he mad. Also we've only have one other BR Planeswalker right? and it was the bad Sarkhan.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Frozen_flame posted:

It can run Secure the Wastes, surely? And make dudes EOT with that land, or Gideon it up. It should be able to hit 5 creatures to sac.

E: Also will not be surprised if Sorin 4.0 makes vampires too.

Depends what other token makers there are in the set. And how good Sorin is.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Neat.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sweet combo with Dust Bowl.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Brilliant deduction there Beleren, were the giant stone arrows a clue?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Boy am I excited to open those at prerelease

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Neat.

Feels like it should be an Uncommon though. It being a Rare leaves a bad taste in my mouth since it doesn't really do much other than tap for mana. I guess it can get you Landfall at instant speed?

Maybe if it sacced itself to do something?

E: I guess if your bad you can play it with that Black "sac a land" Divination. But playing it just for that seems dumb. Maybe there are some big rewards for saccing Lands? And I don't just mean turning on Delerium because there are better ways to get a land into the Yard than saccing one.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 17, 2016

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Wurzag posted:

Boy am I excited to open those at prerelease
Gonna open six and it'll be great.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Worst rare to open in the set?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

Neat.

Feels like it should be an Uncommon though. It being a Rare leaves a bad taste in my mouth since it doesn't really do much other than tap for mana. I guess it can get you Landfall at instant speed?

Maybe if it sacced itself to do something?

E: I guess if your bad you can play it with that Black "sac a land" Divination. But playing it just for that seems dumb. Maybe there are some big rewards for saccing Lands? And I don't just mean turning on Delerium because there are better ways to get a land into the Yard than saccing one.

It's a rare because it doesn't actually do anything in Limited. This isn't an Eldrazi set where colorless mana is actually useful and recurring a land to plan would probably require a pretty unlikely combo to actually be useful.
I mean I guess you can discard it to something and then bring it back later to get yourself up to 5 or 6 mana when you need to? It seems pretty marginal. That doesn't seem worth making your mana less consistent for.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So how many rare lands are left?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm interested in seeing if Vampires can push to tier 1.5 territory in modern with this set. The lords start at 3 mana right now, and that spot could be crowded, but Falkenrath Gorger and Olivia 2 show promise. Vial-ing in a guy and getting another madness guy on Olivia could be good.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Samael posted:

New Spoiler

Abbaye du Val d'orient (Abbey of Eastern Glen ?)
Land
T : Add C to your mana pool
5, T, pay one life : put a 1/1 white and black human cleric token on the battlefield
5, T , sacrifice five creatures : transform and untap ~~
////
Ormendahl, prince des profanes (Ormendhal, prince of profaners ?)
Legendary Creature - Demon
Flying, Haste, Lifelink, Indestructible
9/7
I don't even know what kind of deck I'm building for SoI standard but this is going in it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It also works with self-mill.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cernunnos posted:

If you self-mill or discard it, it helps you ramp! :shepface:

[e: beaten]

quote:

Something that occurs to me is that they could potentially have made a card with this same general flavor in any set, but in a set without a DFC theme, it would have followed the "sacrifice this and put a token into play" template (cf. Gargoyle Castle), which is obviously somewhat weaker in most (all?) situations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It also works with self-mill.

Honestly I feel like this was the lands main purpose.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

What in the actual gently caress is this card's purpose in standard? I'm sure it's not landfall?!?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That Abbey feels like a Mythic.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

JerryLee posted:

If you self-mill or discard it, it helps you ramp! :shepface:

[e: beaten]

Something that occurs to me is that they could potentially have made a card with this same general flavor in any set, but in a set without a DFC theme, it would have followed the "sacrifice this and put a token into play" template (cf. Gargoyle Castle), which is obviously somewhat weaker in most (all?) situations.

Plus they couldn't have given the token that many keywords and still fit the text on the card

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

The loving flavor text on this.

*Literal circle of glowing arrows pointing at a spot* Yes jace you are the best investigator, good job, you solved the cryptomystery.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's a land discard theme, a mill theme and maybe also a land sacrifice theme. It gives you value in all of those cases.

Well done on finding the big obvious thing that was literally in the newspaper, Jace.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

So how many rare lands are left?

well going by the collector numbers...

quote:

265 Tamiyo's Journal
271 Drownyard Temple
273 Forsaken Sanctuary
275 Foul Orchard
277 Highland Lake
279 Stone Quarry
280 Warped Landscape
281 land that turns into a demon
282 Woodland Stream
297 cards in the set. Assuming 15 basics, Woodland stream is the last non-basic land. If there's less than 5 artifacts after Tamiyo's Journal, that leaves at least 5 land slots, so there's probably just a rare dual cycle left to spoil.

JerryLee posted:

Bounce is still almost as good against this as it would be against an indestructible token creature.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

80s James Hetfield posted:

What in the actual gently caress is this card's purpose in standard? I'm sure it's not landfall?!?
MaRo: sometimes we include skill testing cards at rare so people can feel like a genius when they figure out it's dogshit.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

well going by the collector numbers...

297 cards in the set. Assuming 15 basics, Woodland stream is the last non-basic land. If there's less than 4 artifacts after Tamiyo's Journal, that leaves at least 5 land slots, so there's probably just a rare dual cycle left to spoil.

Bounce is still almost as good against this as it would be against an indestructible token creature.

Well hopefully today will be land spoiler day. I am sure everyone is more than ready to figure out what the hell mana is going to be.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
OK one of my goals for limited in this set is to Just The Wind someone's flipped demon church land after they sacced 5 dudes to animate it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

You pitch it to Jace or Nahiri and ramp with it at the end step of an opponent's turn.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

Yeah, you're definitely not wrong.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

The loving flavor text on this.

*Literal circle of glowing arrows pointing at a spot* Yes jace you are the best investigator, good job, you solved the cryptomystery.

As with so many things, I wish this was self-aware on Creative's part but I know it's probably not.

(Also, in all fairness, I'm sure it means the cryptoliths all across Innistrad. It's still funny though.)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Frozen_flame posted:

Fresh from twitter:

Eh.

Traverse the Ulvenwald

Elves? Ha! Rev, Turtenwald!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I noticed that Traverse the Ulvenwald goes from basic land to just land after Delerium, so besides the creature tutor it can find nonbasics.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I noticed that Traverse the Ulvenwald goes from basic land to just land after Delerium, so besides the creature tutor it can find nonbasics.

Card's probably really good, yeah.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
The creature tutor being a sorcery kinda kills it for me.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Discard outlets and self mill. Its not particularly needed but thats what its for...

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Just give me a new Invisible Stalker and I'll be happy!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sorin seems interesting.

That delirium payoff seems garbo.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 17, 2016

• Locked thread