Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anglachel
May 28, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Goddamn the art for Olivia's new card is horrible and her card has a ridiculous name.

Also, Drana's $16 now.

I'm surprised Kalitas isn't spiking. I guess the MTGFinance types only spec if it's below 10 dollars. Issue with the finance folks is that I can't see Drana being a 4 of due to being legendary and the 3 drop spot looks like it's gonna be really crowed in that deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We've seem multiple ways to give your vampires haste and Drana with a hasty team seems pretty sick.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

We've seem multiple ways to give your vampires haste and Drana with a hasty team seems pretty sick.

Yeah but with Olivia competing for the 3 mana spot and her being the primary enabler I would think she would be the 4 of 3 drop, plus the 2 other madness vampires we've seen are madness costed at 3. I would think Drana would be a 3 of. But maybe the opposite? Drana a 4 of and Olivia the 3 of?

It just feels like 4 of's when it comes to Legendary creatures is always iffy, and the Red/Black vampire deck is already looking at Olivia, Drana, and Kalitas being 4 ofs.....

anglachel fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 17, 2016

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

GrapeFetus posted:

First up, Wrath of God. My very first alter. I'm pretty heavy handed with the paint on this one, and it shows.
http://imgur.com/X0d5YES

I don't know anything about painting but this wrath alter is clever and good.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
So right now the for sure playable vampires for the Red/Black deck seem to be.

1 drop: Falkenrath Gorger
2 drops: Carrier Thrall, Heir of Falkenrath
3 drops: Drana, Olivia
4 drops: Kalitas

Other Vampires that might be playable:

1 drop: Indulgent Aristocrat (I dont think the vampire creature wants it's creatures dead, I think it wants as much board presence as possible, but there might be some other syngery with this card)
2 drop: Olivia's Bloodsworn (2 power and evasion seems relevant), Malakir Cullblade (punishes aristocrat based strategies, and scion usage), Sanguinary Mage (it doesnt seem like the Black Red Vampire deck plays super well with prowess)
3 drop: Vampire Envoy
4 drop: Elusive Tormenter (works well with Drana and Olivia), Null Caller (can grind out some value late game), Voldaren Duelist(can't block can be an alpha strike depending on how aggressive this deck is)
5 drop: Twins (depends on how relevant that 5 tougness will be in the format), Markov Dreadknight (another discard outlet with evasion seems good)

Then you have all the Cohort Ally Vampires that I am gonna assume aren't really too playable in this deck (I might be very wrong though)

The deck might want to play Ob Nixilis as a 2 of I'm thinking? (at least in the sideboard) It will probably want to play To the Slaughter. Fiery Temper seems like a 4 of. Languish is a sideboard option. Fiery Impulse and Dead Weight are spot removal options.

If your gonna do Mardu Vampires you get to add Drana's Emissary, Nahari and Sorin. Plus Not Vindicate (and you have lots of life gain to make the 3 life loss not a huge deal) and Painful Truths can come into play in this deck. Plus Radiant Flame becomes an option for sideboard tech.

Thus far it seems like this deck doesnt care about Delirium very much. But this is just what we have seen so far, there's almost assuredly more vampires to come.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Do not pass Sisters of Stone Death in RRR draft. Yes, it costs 8 mana, but if you drop it you will not lose.

I missed 3 land drops and still managed to stall out long enough to drop her, and it was just over.

edit- This is the jankiest thing I've ever drafted and I am going into round 2

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 17, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

GonSmithe posted:

Do not pass Sisters of Stone Death in RRR draft. Yes, it costs 8 mana, but if you drop it you will not lose.

I missed 3 land drops and still managed to stall out long enough to drop her, and it was just over.

edit- This is the jankiest thing I've ever drafted and I am going into round 2

Don't you mean Junkiest

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Gridlocked posted:

Don't you mean Junkiest

Actually that's Sultai, not Abzan.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Goddamn, I'd forgotten how high the card quality was in Ravnica.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Hellsau posted:

Actually that's Sultai, not Abzan.

So it is.

And also gently caress you not using stupid clan terms no matter how much WotC push them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Gridlocked posted:

So it is.

And also gently caress you not using stupid clan terms no matter how much WotC push them.

When was the last time anyone called a Naya deck "RGW"? 2007?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Star Man posted:

When was the last time anyone called a Naya deck "RGW"? 2007?

The fact that I missed tarkir definitely helps, but I think the shard names are good and filled a gap for color combos we didn't have(or at least, I don't remember), but everyone already said RUG, bug, junk, America. Italia never stuck outside of a single weekend Fabiano deck called team Italia, but there were already four wedge names in use.

The apocalypse wedge names were terrible and I drafted that set every week it was out.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Jeskai and Mardu are the two wedge names I'd call unambiguous improvements on existing terminology. Sultai and Temur are kind of just worse than BUG and RUG, and Abzan vs. Junk is a wash.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

New Spoiler

Abbaye du Val d'orient (Abbey of Eastern Glen ?)
Land
T : Add C to your mana pool
5, T, pay one life : put a 1/1 white and black human cleric token on the battlefield
5, T , sacrifice five creatures : transform and untap ~~
////
Ormendahl, prince des profanes (Ormendhal, prince of profaners ?)
Legendary Creature - Demon
Flying, Haste, Lifelink, Indestructible
9/7

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Thats loving cool.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
It's really just asking you to play a bunch of mana dorks and token producers. I hope they print a corrupted Acavyn's Pilgrim...

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

It's really just asking you to play a bunch of mana dorks and token producers. I hope they print a corrupted Acavyn's Pilgrim...

You can pretty much do that now- Gnarlroot Trapper, Dwynen's Elite and friends are still in standard. Play a GB value deck with coco, elves and slap this in as another wincon and it could be pretty good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Black and white? Yeah, sold. That actually does seem playable, especially for long games against people with sweepers, just hold it up and sac your team to get the indestructible guy.

Also note: The demon is legendary, the land isn't. And you can use awaken cards to put counters on him before he flips if that floats your boat.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Samael posted:

New Spoiler

Land
5, T, pay one life : put a 1/1 white and black human cleric token on the battlefield
////
9/7

innistrad owns

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Samael posted:

New Spoiler

Land
////
9/7

This owns.

The haste is such a nice little bit. "Ok my opponent has two forests, a swamp, and two mana dorks, i should be good to tap out". Nope, transform and untap into a hasty 9/7 indestructible.

Also, the new Jace is looking nice. I propose: Investijace.

EDIT: It's even a rare, not a mythic! :eyepop:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
This is my new Elbrus, I want a whole bunch of cards that turn into demons.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Samael posted:

New Spoiler

Land
////
9/7

This will go great in my Teysa EDH deck

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kinda reads like one of those randomly generated cards

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
another french fuckup, it's west not east:

"English card will be posted tomorrow in the card image gallery, the English names are: Westvale Abbey // Ormendahl, Profane Prince

This preview card is featured across EU Local Language DailyMTG in today's "Deck of the Week" columns, here are the other languages:

German
Spanish
Italian"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Could be a finisher in a Zulaport Cutthroat type deck.

e: oh Secure the Wastes isn't actually rotating, lol

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 17, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Barry Shitpeas posted:

This will go great in my Teysa EDH deck

Mine as well, or the BW lifegain decks I periodically assemble as well, but I believe the card's colour identity is just black, right? The white on the clerics isn't an issue?

Got to get some more of the BW Cleric tokens from Gatecrash. Might get some objections since they had a sac ability, but it's not like I can use it without Deathpact Angel in the format.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Fresh from twitter:

Eh.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Frozen_flame posted:

Fresh from twitter:

Eh.

That is a hell of a creature tutor.

Really curious as to what niche, if any that card will find across formats.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Edit: Beaten.

It's a pretty bad card imo, where are all the good green cards WOTC D:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Samael posted:

New Spoiler

Land
////
9/7
Another reason to play the 3 life vindicate.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Frozen_flame posted:

Fresh from twitter:

Eh.

In case you missed it, Delerium also lets you tutor for non-basic land, not irrelevant.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Kinda reads like one of those randomly generated cards

I can see it. That generator really liked cards that could make tiny multicolor tokens for huge amounts of mana, and then sacrificing those tokens for an equally huge amount of mana to do stuff.

The only difference is that the generator's version instead of transforming the land would just grant target creature protection from tapped libraries.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Samael posted:

New Spoiler

Land
////
9/7

Well... There's the finisher for Esper control I suppose.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

In case you missed it, Delerium also lets you tutor for non-basic land, not irrelevant.

Its a basic land tutor that becomes better than sylvan scrying with a few things in your graveyard. Not the most exciting card but seems solid. I don't know if its good because once you have a few things in your graveyard, you shouldnt need a land tutor anymore but the fact that its also a creature tutor is a pretty big deal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well... There's the finisher for Esper control I suppose.

Esper isn't gonna have 5 creatures to sac. This card looks really cool but I have a feeling it's going to be more cool than good.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
It can run Secure the Wastes, surely? And make dudes EOT with that land, or Gideon it up. It should be able to hit 5 creatures to sac.

E: Also will not be surprised if Sorin 4.0 makes vampires too.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

Goddamn the art for Olivia's new card is horrible and her card has a ridiculous name.

Also, Drana's $16 now.

There's a shell for Vampire Aggro, and Drana is a very good Aggro Vampire.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

That is a hell of a creature tutor.

Really curious as to what niche, if any that card will find across formats.

Would Jund in Modern want to play this? They are already set up to try and hit delirium, and it lets them have more of a toolbox creature set with like one of's of Finks and other answer creatures. Plus they can use it to tutor for manlands or other situational lands like ghost quarter or tec edge. Just not sure what they would cut for it though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Frozen_flame posted:

Fresh from twitter:

Eh.

I kept expecting the Delirium clause to be "put the land into play tapped instead" and I was wondering why the Caravan Vigil variant got pushed up from common to rare. I guess a one-mana creature tutor could be pretty good? This still doesn't feel like a rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mine as well, or the BW lifegain decks I periodically assemble as well, but I believe the card's colour identity is just black, right? The white on the clerics isn't an issue?

Yes, otherwise Pongify would be G/U

• Locked thread