Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't argue on personal taste or anything. Lord knows I love some kiddie rear end poo poo. But I just really don't get what the appeal is. I mean I do get it for kids, silly fights with silly costumes and giant silly robot suits smacking each other, but I can't imagine that the show has anything really deep there like say, some older Godzilla films.

You could argue that Godzilla fighting Mothra is silly poo poo, but there's some kind of meaning in that fight as a metaphor between endless unstoppable greed, and being a hero, protecting your land. Or something. I might've misread that film but you get the idea.

Show me something to get me on your level because whenever I look up Power Rangers scene, it's just people running around in open fields, hopping and doing sped up fighting in really cheap costumes. Which is dope as hell for a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's a little difficult because those moments of drama are typically earned over the course of a bunch of episodes and don't really work divorced of context. And regardless of the context you're still dealing with non union actors often with bad American accents.

I'll look for something later though, almost every season has its moments. And of course the production quality has improved massively over the last thirty years.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, sure. greatn is pretty accurate about how most of these moments have to be earned through letting the show engage you, but there are two easy outs for this.

For reference, in Time Force, all of the villains are mutants driven to crime from the future. Mutants, kind of like the X-Men only without the 'looking like normal people' most of the X-Men have. They're lead by a terrorist named Ransik who was discriminated against his whole life due to his appearance and status as a mutant, until finding an inborn power that let him challenge society. He gets captured by manages to escape to the past, and this is his final battle with the Rangers at the end of the series after loads of poo poo goes down on both sides.

It takes both sides of the coin- the big dumb action scene and the character stuff after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25zzoEb91Kc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFExrpCf6Dw

You can skip to the second video if you just want to see the character stuff, or enjoy the big dumb action scene first. The one video goes into the other. It's all still obviously a kids show made on a kids show budget, but it shows that they're trying and there is more to it than just cheap costumes.

And on the other side of the coin, here is the death of the Magna Defender- a man driven by revenge to the point of putting everyone's lives at risk in an attempt to kill the man who murdered his son. He realizes his mistake at the end, and works to undo it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gxszroCaMI

It's still very much, again, a kids show, but there is more to it beneath the surface. Just like any super hero work. If you wanted to push these themes further, you could.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

If you were gonna do a Gambit movie you need to have someone say the line "this wedding will bring PEACE to the Guild of Thieves and the Assassins" with total seriousness.

"Remy, it dee tithe! We all teeves! We gotta be derr fo da tithe!!!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And the main villainess of that second series is driven by her desire for revenge on the rangers born out of them killing her father, who you thought was the big bad, about a third of the way in

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Is is just me or is James Mangold trying to explain away everything that did or didn't make it into Logan?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scyantific posted:

Is is just me or is James Mangold trying to explain away everything that did or didn't make it into Logan?

Uh, what?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That Logan second trailer...
Is there a villain in this movie from Comic Books? It's not necessary, just wondering if that blonde guy with dumb gloves is supposed to be someone.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Firstborn posted:

That Logan second trailer...
Is there a villain in this movie from Comic Books? It's not necessary, just wondering if that blonde guy with dumb gloves is supposed to be someone.

Boyd Holbrook is playing Donald Pierce, a mutant-hating cyborg.

The comic book X-23 reads in that trailer is actually made specifically for the movie:
https://www.facebook.com/joe.quesada/posts/10158125057865578
https://twitter.com/urbanbarbarian/status/822159334779949056

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 20, 2017

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I found his wiki page, thanks. I hope they put his powers in the movie.

It's weird to me that the last time we saw Wolverine was almost like a new origin story with Apocalypse, and now the end of him. What a useless cameo that was. I would actually want him to play Cable, though. Cable was Wolverine in one of the books, right?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 20, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

The MSJ posted:

Boyd Holbrook is playing Donald Pierce, a mutant-hating cyborg.

The comic book X-23 reads in that trailer is actually made specifically for the movie:
https://www.facebook.com/joe.quesada/posts/10158125057865578
https://twitter.com/urbanbarbarian/status/822159334779949056

I thought so, the costume Wolverine is depicted wearing doesn't look exactly like any of the costumes he's had in X-Men canon, I thought.

It's worth noting that Donald Pierce, originally introduced as a member of the Hellfire Club, has a particular beef with Wolverine: he's the creator of the Reavers, a cyborg revenge squad created from eviscerated mooks Wolverine slaughtered during the X-Men's first run-in with the Club. The Reavers later caught up with Wolverine in the Australian outback---where the X-Men had previously been headquartered for complicated reasons---and left him for dead until he was rescued by Jubilee, who'd been hiding out in the X-Mens' base unbeknownst to them, basically as a stowaway from when some of the X-Ladies returned to the USA for a shopping trip (seriously).

Okay that wasn't worth noting.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Logan being hunted by a gang of Cyborg Amputees he created is actually pretty god drat rad. I love that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah in the comics at first they were literally just rear end in a top hat mercenaries who are also cyborgs because hey cyborgs are cool let's have a team that can rip off Terminator/Mandroid/whatever at the same time. This is way cooler.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They also represent an alternative evolution of mankind to mutants: merging wih machines.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah in the comics at first they were literally just rear end in a top hat mercenaries who are also cyborgs because hey cyborgs are cool let's have a team that can rip off Terminator/Mandroid/whatever at the same time. This is way cooler.

AND THEY COME OUT OF SENTINELS MOUTHS!

(start at 10m in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuw_Vv6k6OA

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I love the idea of Master Mold because it's so perfect in an action video game because it's a huge thing that produces smaller guys you have to destroy but in the actual comics it's like, uh yeah so all the sentinels and bad robots are made by a huge mostly stationary sentinel that constantly births and/or barfs smaller sentinels.

The Reavers are total chumps in that game, it's just swaps of Bonebreaker and a pallet swap IIRC and he doesn't even actually shoot at you? They just fire shots in the air and ride around in circles while sometimes trying to club you with their rifles. :laffo:

They fair a bit better in the Punisher arcade game where the Terminator w/extendable limbs one shows up as a regular enemies and Bonebreaker/missile hand guy show up as bosses.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 20, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Neo Rasa posted:

I love the idea of Master Mold because it's so perfect in an action video game because it's a huge thing that produces smaller guys you have to destroy but in the actual comics it's like, uh yeah so all the sentinels and bad robots are made by a huge mostly stationary sentinel that constantly births and/or barfs smaller sentinels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LMs6tELrE

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I cry every time fox does an x-men film that isn't a carbon copy of the 90's x-men cartoon and games.

Huge Jackedman's final wolverine film looks good though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Goddamn that 2nd Trailer for Logan is awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If they actually did a serious budget X-Men 90s full length animated movie instead of the super cheap anime and direct to video ones they churn out and got some talent behind it would do insane $$$$.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And new Power Rangers trailer, giving us our first look of Goldar and the Megazord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncGH9kSRjKs

This looks just as bad as I'd expected from the first trailer. The jokes are flat and cringe worthy. Rita still looks awful. Yelling IT'S MORPHIN TIME will only strike a five year old as cool and I'm guessing they won't get many of them in the theater.

Also, Goldar? Wasn't Goldar like a totally minor lackey? Either way featureless gold blob isn't fun either.

Is this movie trying to wrangle in kids or teens? Everything about the designs and stuff says "10 year olds" while the angsty dialogue says "stop by when you get out of Hot Topic, 16 year olds".

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i didn't catch anything more 'angsty' in that trailer than what's been in every spider-man movie

that trailer makes the movie feel very MCU-inspired for better or worse, a lot of glibness and self-awareness and quips from everyone onscreen but switches to earnestness when it's a serious moment or referencing a thing from its legacy

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I hope there aren't a ton of five year olds in the theater, when I went to see Ninja Turtles I kinda looked around and went "what am I doing with my life?" :sweatdrop:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Five year olds are probably still a significant part of PR fan demographic today.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I guess the new Kong trailer kind of fits here?

https://twitter.com/eigahiho/status/822272844692209664

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I hope there aren't a ton of five year olds in the theater, when I went to see Ninja Turtles I kinda looked around and went "what am I doing with my life?" :sweatdrop:

Yeah don't do that.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm going to be honest CelticPredator, while that was a dark moment for me, I will probably watch more childrens' movies [e: in the theater] in the future.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 20, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

I wish I was paying better attention to this movie and not just because it's gonna make a great perolium to Planet of the Apes 3: Woody Harrelson Total War.

I really like this trailer because it's setting up that King Kong's adversary in this movie is SAMUEL L. JACKSON and that's amazing. 60 story tall gorilla vs Samuel L. Jackson, let's go.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Rough Lobster posted:

This looks just as bad as I'd expected from the first trailer. The jokes are flat and cringe worthy. Rita still looks awful. Yelling IT'S MORPHIN TIME will only strike a five year old as cool and I'm guessing they won't get many of them in the theater.

Also, Goldar? Wasn't Goldar like a totally minor lackey? Either way featureless gold blob isn't fun either.

Is this movie trying to wrangle in kids or teens? Everything about the designs and stuff says "10 year olds" while the angsty dialogue says "stop by when you get out of Hot Topic, 16 year olds".

Freakazoid_ posted:

I cry every time fox does an x-menPower Ranger film that isn't a carbon copy of the 90's x-men cartoon show and games.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I wish I was paying better attention to this movie and not just because it's gonna make a great perolium to Planet of the Apes 3: Woody Harrelson Total War.

I really like this trailer because it's setting up that King Kong's adversary in this movie is SAMUEL L. JACKSON and that's amazing. 60 story tall gorilla vs Samuel L. Jackson, let's go.

The moment I found out that John C. Reilly, Samuel L. Jackson, and John Goodman were all in this movie, I knew I had to see it.

Also, Legendary Godzilla Cinematic Universe.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I'm going to be honest CelticPredator, while that was a dark moment for me, I will probably watch more childrens' movies [e: in the theater] in the future.

Some are quite good! But I just don't know about Ninja Turtles dawg. That's the kinda thing you wait for the Blu Ray. Like Monster Trucks.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It was, I felt, mostly a good movie, and I mean it was really obviously cobbled together from scenes from a totally different movie so that's saying something. I still haven't seen the sequel.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It was, I felt, mostly a good movie, and I mean it was really obviously cobbled together from scenes from a totally different movie so that's saying something. I still haven't seen the sequel.

The sequel t Ninja Turtles (the recent ones) is even more spiritually in tune with the cartoon series, not just for the introduction of Bebop and Rocksteady TurtleVan and Krang.

It's kind of a mess, but I felt it hit its mark much better than Turtles 2014. Now, does that make it WORTH seeing? Ehhhhhh. It was...there are worse blockbuster movies to watch. For the record, I thought TMNT 2014 was a submoderately fun, dumb movie. Decent enough for a TMNT movie.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 20, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I can tell you I will definitely watch it if hulu or netflix says they have it.

I mean this sounds weird but pigs are sort of my power animal and I always extra liked Bebop for that.... like it's a pig in Bret Hart sunglasses are you not gonna like that dude?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

. If you were gonna do a Gambit movie you need to have someone say the line "this wedding will bring PEACE to the Guild of Thieves and the Assassins" with total seriousness.

What about the mage and fighter's guilds?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

The first one is better.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Probably my two most anticipated movies of 2017 are Apes vs Woody and Ape vs Sam Jackson.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brother Entropy posted:

i didn't catch anything more 'angsty' in that trailer than what's been in every spider-man movie

That's not accidental.

quote:

That Hashtag Show has uncovered the tone that Saban and Israelite is shooting for with the upcoming feature film adaptation. They would like the movie to have the feel of Sam Raimi's original Spider-Man according to the report. While they are hoping to cast leads that have the same dynamic chemistry as the teens in the movie, The Breakfast Club.
https://moviepilot.com/posts/3460977

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah it definitely seems like the smart bet; as much as my sentai-loving rear end would love for them to go full cheese with it it probably wouldn't hit the mainstream well and going full serious mode would just look laughable because they're still the loving power rangers

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

I cry every time fox does an x-men film that isn't a carbon copy of the 90's x-men cartoon and games.

Do you CRY FOR THE MOON!! ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I feel like Fox has given me Comic Movie PTSD / Trust Issues.

The first trailers for Fantastic Four, The Wolverine, and Apocolypse all looked really good and now I'm having trouble trusting my instincts that these Logan trailers look good.

• Locked thread