Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The hell was happening on Vulcan?

An ancient ritual known as the Bonin'ahr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

An ancient ritual known as the Bonin'ahr.

The Kee Pahrt'ee.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The explanation from the panel seems to be that she's Amanda's daughter, so Sarek is her stepdad.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
"Technically you are correct. I do not have a sister."

"There you see!"

"I have a step sister"

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

The_Doctor posted:

The explanation from the panel seems to be that she's Amanda's daughter, so Sarek is her stepdad.

Seriously? So she's Spock's step-sister that no one's ever mentioned before, and she's got African heritage even though both versions of Amanda were pasty as pasty could be (though I'm guessing Amanda adopted her?). This is getting more stupid by the minute.

On a positive note, at least the Klingoffs were acting like the TNG-Klingons we know and love with the funeral yelling.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nessus posted:

OK is this a mangling of "MG's character is Sarek's adoptive daughter," or is MG's character adopting Sarek (as a daughter, specifically)?

Mangled due to phone posting. :rolleyes:

She's his adopted daughter

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
She masters some Vulan stuff and shocks Sarek because she is not fully human after all.

Her great, great, great, great grandmother used to hang out with Mark Twain and

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Bloop posted:

She masters some Vulan stuff and shocks Sarek because she is not fully human after all.

And that's why she can do the Vulcan Death Grip.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Gaz-L posted:

Spock gotta lotta step/half-siblings that we never hear about until they appear...

The canonicity of Spocko is nigh.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SomeMathGuy posted:

The canonicity of Spocko is nigh.
The entire cast of Discovery stops mid-filming to start singing 'Pizza Beach'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Now THAT'S a Star Trek!!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tell me of of this "Pizza Beach".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tikifire posted:

Seriously? So she's Spock's step-sister that no one's ever mentioned before, and she's got African heritage even though both versions of Amanda were pasty as pasty could be (though I'm guessing Amanda adopted her?).
Or she slept with a black guy, maybe

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Nessus posted:

You know what they say: once you go black, you go to Vulcan.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You know what they say: once you go black, you go to Vulcan.
Possibly because people won't stop giving you poo poo about your black daughter! Vulcans don't give a poo poo. Presumably, I mean; obviously there are black Vulcans.

That's actually been one of the general positive Trek touches, now that I think of it: It was clear that most semi-frequently-occurring alien races had some ethnic diversity to them. The one exception I can think of are the Ferengi.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nessus posted:

Possibly because people won't stop giving you poo poo about your black daughter! Vulcans don't give a poo poo. Presumably, I mean; obviously there are black Vulcans.

That's actually been one of the general positive Trek touches, now that I think of it: It was clear that most semi-frequently-occurring alien races had some ethnic diversity to them. The one exception I can think of are the Ferengi.
Did you almost forget Tuvok

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did you almost forget Tuvok
I try to forget Voyager pretty often

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's the same Klingons you remember from the profitable STAR TREK franchise, but now completely different! It's "darker and edgier" for today's teens with money for subscription services burning holes in their hahaha I can't finish

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I know you could probably cherry pick terrible "profound" lines together into a trailer for any other Trek series but hot drat, they have to give it a rest with this nonsense. "can't set a course without a star" "I sense death coming now" "ooooh chaos". Get real.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd like to change the world

But instead I'll license this song

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

McSpanky posted:

That trailer did absolutely nothing for me. No interest at all. If this didn't have the Star Trek name on it I wouldn't give two shits one way or the other, it'd just be another derivative hyperkinetic melodramatic sci-actionfest. And I'm not 16 anymore, my interest no longer trades on that name alone.

The name still gets me in the door, I'll admit that. At least to watch the pilot and give it an honest shot. It hasn't sunk to Doctor Who levels yet.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

Sure, and I'm not an expert on genetics, but most kids I've seen with one black parent and one pasty white parent are a bit lighter than our star there. I guess its possible that the dark lighting is just making her skin look a lot darker.

I guess if I watch this I'll just suspend disbelief on that, but I really wish she was just some federation nobody and not wedged into the most famous Vulcan family we know.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Jason Isaacs sounds like he is putting in the performance of his (un)life.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tikifire posted:

Sure, and I'm not an expert on genetics, but most kids I've seen with one black parent and one pasty white parent are a bit lighter than our star there. I guess its possible that the dark lighting is just making her skin look a lot darker.

I guess if I watch this I'll just suspend disbelief on that, but I really wish she was just some federation nobody and not wedged into the most famous Vulcan family we know.

Not to mention there'll never be another Mark Lenard, so let's just stop trying this again and again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It's So Called Life, but not as we know it.

https://twitter.com/cbstvstudios/status/888888975653445632

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Mike the TV posted:

My least favorite aspect of Enterprise was that the underlying message of Star Trek was co-opted by a post-9/11 nationalist sentiment like Archer having to make "tough choices" like torturing civilians, but it's okay because in the end it was for a good reason.

Eeeeeuuuuuggh

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Not to mention there'll never be another Mark Lenard, so let's just stop trying this again and again.

Ben Cross was excellent in the 2009 movie.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Timby posted:

I'm... going to have to ask for your definition of "excellent." I think he had only about a half dozen lines total, but I wouldn't say anything particularly leapt out at me as better than "serviceable."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tikifire posted:

I thought being mentored by Sarek was a cool idea because it's a relationship that isn't based on either loving, marriage or blood, and those are real loving rare.

Also skin color ain't like blendin' paint, son

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Timby posted:

Agreed, but he was barely in it. This looks to be a bit more substantial role.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

I thought being mentored by Sarek was a cool idea because it's a relationship that isn't based on either loving, marriage or blood, and those are real loving rare.

Also skin color ain't like blendin' paint, son

This is true.

She could have been mentored by Sarek for some other reason other than blood relations with his human wife if they had to go that route.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That trailer's a lot better than the last one. It looks more like a movie than a series

Nessus posted:

Surak was into swinging.

It's the only logical lifestyle. :science:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sarek obviously gets along with humans so there's no reason he couldn't have had an intern or something who he encouraged and kept up contact with. Of course maybe TV would assume this meant they were loving.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

I'm now wondering how much of the whole "She's Sarek's step-daughter so he's mentoring her" stuff was Fuller's idea or if this was done after he left. This does reek of Studio Executive meddling.

SE: "Hey Brian, we've got to get Spock in this new show somehow"

BF: ""That makes no sense, he'd be a kid at this point, and besides there's the whole rights issue with Paramount"

SE: "Well then how about his dad. Star Trek geeks know about him, right?"

BF: ""Sarek? I suppose that could work, but how would he know her?"

SE: "I've got it, she's his step-daughter."

BF: "But they've never mentioned her before. EVER."

SE: "Doesn't matter, Bryan baby, make it happen."

BF: "Y'know, that's it, I quit."

Tikifire fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 23, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

It's "darker and edgier"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcAbI-4_io

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tighclops posted:

If they weren't calling this Star Trek I probably wouldn't remember enough about that trailer to look for a torrent when the show finally drops, and that's really disappointing. Trailers can be be misleading or just lovely and all but this is so low rent and whatever looking even compared to SyFy' shows like Killjoys or Dark Matter I'm a little shocked. Shlocked, if you will.

I'm the opposite. If I saw this trailer and it lacked the Trek trappings, I'd probably be pretty stoked about this exciting new scifi show.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm mostly excited about the TNG episodes Jeb! has coming up, tbh.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

-English actor performing in a flat American accent: check
-Well-known modern song remixed to be slower and more eerie for some reason: check
-Explosions and people talkin' about war and poo poo: check
-3D effects that, while cool, were pretty much ripped straight from JJ Abrams: check

This is the most stereotypically 2010's trailer I've seen in awhile.

It looks bad, but there might be potential. That alien dude is probably gonna be a more classically Star Trek-ish character, and Rainn Wilson as Harry Mudd is some good casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Astroman posted:

I'm the opposite. If I saw this trailer and it lacked the Trek trappings, I'd probably be pretty stoked about this exciting new scifi show.

Same. I'd probably kind of go, "Hey, this might scratch my itch for new Star Trek."