Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

it was extremely cool to see the fish aliens use pirate tactics and also when the giant rear end ships 9/11 eachother was boss
" NO YOURE NOT WATCHING STAR WARS CORRECTLY!"

- RLM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Old Story posted:

I just watched Rogue One for the first time since it was on Netflix. I didn't hate it as much as the RLM guys did, instead I just felt nothing. I didn't care about any characters or their deaths, but the space explosions were top-notch. CGI people still look terrible, guess we're just not there yet.

I feel like to really hate it you'd have to be invested in Star Wars tee-emm and I'm not.

I think this was their biggest problem with it, though. It's not that it was actively bad, but that it was more or less nothing, but with Star Wars slapped on it.

I also watched it recently and felt the same. It's probably the least interesting movie I've seen in a bit.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Aside from it being about video games, and Jack being 50% of the people in it, I think Pre-Rec bothers me because of how self-assured Rich is. I think I need him desperately making jokes to impress Mike and Jay, and him being on the verge of emotional breakdown at their whim.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
One thing i noticed is that the new Star wars movies definitely look bland. The prequels sucked and there was a lot of goofy poo poo in them, but there was also some cool designs and creatures. I like the underwater bubble city and the Venice-looking city in episode 1. I actually like Sebulba (the four legged alien that races anakin in the podrace). I like the bug people in episode 2 and the nightclub on Corusant. In Episode 3 we catch a glimpse of a planet with giant glowy mushrooms. But in Force Awakens, theres nothing that sticks out, visually. Part of that is because JJ Abrams was trying to make it look exactly like A New Hope, but even the new stuff is boring looking. The monsters on Han Solo's spaceship are just shapeless tentacle things. In Rogue one, the creature that Forrest Whitaker uses to interrogate the defected pilot is...a shapeless tentacle thing. At least the prequels gave us some weird and memorable stuff, and some of it was kind of cool (though surrounded by garbage).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
nobody will argue that the Prequels did not have good vistas or mechanical designs. They're some of the best in the whole franchise. But all the technical poo poo in the world can't save them from the horrible acting, pacing and plotting.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

nobody will argue that the Prequels did not have good vistas or mechanical designs. They're some of the best in the whole franchise. But all the technical poo poo in the world can't save them from the horrible acting, pacing and plotting.

True but its a shame that these new Star Wars movies are so bland. I dont see why we cant get better acting,pacing, and plotting in addition to weird and interesting things that we've never seen before.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Captain Lavender posted:

Aside from it being about video games, and Jack being 50% of the people in it, I think Pre-Rec bothers me because of how self-assured Rich is. I think I need him desperately making jokes to impress Mike and Jay, and him being on the verge of emotional breakdown at their whim.

:ssh:
Everyone needs Rich with Mike and Jay (even if only implied) because otherwise Rich is just another fat dude on youtube with a weird laugh
:ssh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nerds need a correct amount of bullying to stay in line. Jack allows Rich to exist in a totally unbullied state, which creates an unnatural imbalance.

naem
May 29, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Nerds need a correct amount of bullying to stay in line. Jack allows Rich to exist in a totally unbullied state, which creates an unnatural imbalance.

I feel a great dostrurbance in the force

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
show me ur dick naem

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Ita 10 inches long

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0qExBm4mi8&t=1126s

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/Jw6ZofJ.gifv

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Poor Jake Lloyd. I sorta feel bad for him, those movies and the hatred towards them done broke his brain.

On the other hand, he's richer than I'll ever be, so I'm not exactly spilling any tears.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

WampaLord posted:

Poor Jake Lloyd. I sorta feel bad for him, those movies and the hatred towards them done broke his brain.

On the other hand, he's richer than I'll ever be, so I'm not exactly spilling any tears.

how much did he actually make from that movie?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is he really though? When it's your first movie and you're like 10 what do you even earn for that? I seriously doubt he got an residuals, that's pretty rare in Hollywood right?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm gonna venture a guess that Jake Lloyd probably doesn't have that much money.

Is he still in prison?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

starkebn posted:

how much did he actually make from that movie?

It's impossible to know, Hollywood doesn't really disclose those figures, but here's a site estimating his net worth at nearly $4 million. No real sources, though, so who can say.

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/celeb/actors/jake-lloyd-net-worth/

starkebn
May 18, 2004

John Wick *Universe*

.~*Hollywood is junk*~.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Randarkman posted:

I'm gonna venture a guess that Jake Lloyd probably doesn't have that much money.

Is he still in prison?

He's in a psychiatric facility that he's not allowed to leave until some indeterminate date in the future when it's decided he doesn't have schizophrenia anymore.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

WampaLord posted:

It's impossible to know, Hollywood doesn't really disclose those figures, but here's a site estimating his net worth at nearly $4 million. No real sources, though, so who can say.

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/celeb/actors/jake-lloyd-net-worth/

welp, that's pretty rich I guess

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Randarkman posted:

Is he still in prison?

lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

starkebn posted:

John Wick *Universe*

.~*Hollywood is junk*~.

Prepare to hate John Wick. Maybe one more decent film in the series before the producers overrun everything else.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I was really disappointed at John Wick's 2 ending, because it went on for like a minute longer than it needed to, and there was such a loving effective stopping point that they missed. I guess I'll use spoiler tags, but it's really not that big a spoiler.

Here's how it should have ended:

John Wick: "Tell them that I'll kill all of them"

Ian McShane: "Of course you will!"

SMASH TO CREDITS that say "John Wick will return"

Like, bing bong bing, so simple, but instead we see him run away for like 60 seconds while a bunch of people get texts. Yawn.

Rest of the movie was amazing, though.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

WampaLord posted:

I was really disappointed at John Wick's 2 ending, because it went on for like a minute longer than it needed to, and there was such a loving effective stopping point that they missed. I guess I'll use spoiler tags, but it's really not that big a spoiler.

Like, bing bong bing, so simple, but instead we see him run away for like 60 seconds while a bunch of people get texts. Yawn.

It could have ended even a little earlier, we literally know what will happen

unless they found in screenings that the majority didn't get it? idk

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

It could have ended even a little earlier, we literally know what will happen

unless they found in screenings that the majority didn't get it? idk

Yea but I just really loving loved that line from McShane, it's so perfect and so well delivered, why would you not end your movie there.

Spiderman: Homecoming got it right, that's how you loving end a movie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They coulda cut out the 2nd 20 minutes of John Wick shooting people in the head the exact same way over and over and then it would have ended a lot earlier.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

Smash to credits is an awful way to finish a movie and adding that sentence is a laziest thing you can do. John Wick is literally running into the next movie, that's why the scene is there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oohhboy posted:

John Wick is literally running into the next movie, that's why the scene is there.

That's loving stupid.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

That's loving stupid.

It's consistent with how the first movie leads into the second with a fly over the city as a continuation from the last.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bring back old gbs posted:

it was extremely cool to see the fish aliens use pirate tactics and also when the giant rear end ships 9/11 eachother was boss

That's a A Star Wars Story I'd watch, a space Aubrey-Maturin movie about a fishman captain and an Imperial captain doing space battles

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Admiral Ackbar - "Don't you know, in the empire, one must choose the lesser of two woodoo-hides."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Old Star Wars was good because it was borrowing from old serials. new Star Wars sucks because it's just borrowing from Star Wars. Go back to the roots and start ripping off old good stuff but IN SPAAAAAACE. Aubrey-Maturin but Aubrey is a fisman and Maturin flies a new kind of X-Wing. Wages of Fear but one of them is a robot. Slacker but in Mos Eisley

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Arcsquad12 posted:

Most of it just got scrapped and recycled. You're not going to let good aluminum go to waste on an outdated airframe. Or it got disposed of like the German high seas fleet at the end of ww1.

The German High Seas fleet is still used as major source of pre-atomic steel, because all steel made after 1945 is contaminated by fallout from nuclear bombs and can't be used in things like geiger counters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

he is permabanned poster lucasstomper58

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
At least Rogue One tried ripping off old war movies.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

At least Rogue One tried ripping off old war movies.

It did?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Yeah, it's The Dirty Dozen and The Guns of Navarone IN SPAAAAAAAACE.

E: Well, it's also Saving Private Ryan in some aspects, but older movies are also there.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 27, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, it's The Dirty Dozen and The Guns of Navarone IN SPAAAAAAAACE.

E: Well, it's also Saving Private Ryan in some aspects, but older movies are also there.

I can kinda see Guns of Navarone in that characters have to blow something up that's related to a big gun at the end, and everybody dies like in Saving Private Ryan, and The Dirty Dozen in they are both movies featuring multiple characters, but that still seems like a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rogue One Star!!!

• Locked thread