Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Gaunab posted:

GF/EXBF/BF/Job/Serial cheating what is this even?

1) What the f*ck do I do now? How do I tell the truth hurting people as little as possible?

You can't tell the truth while minimizing damage, sorry. What you do is finish your loving project and then fess up, if you must.

2) Do I move out?

Once your job is done and your lease is up, yes. To anywhere.

3) How can I stay faithful? I want to stop being this horrible person who does horrible things to others.

Immediate situation, you cannot be faithful, you have done the horrible thing, suck it up and own up to it and embrace that fact that you did this and it is something you do regularly.

First, don't be in a relationship for a good long while, maybe a few years. Realize that you can't have this nice thing you want, a committed, faithful relationship, because you are irresponsible and hurt people when you try to have one. Do some serious soul searching. Do some therapy, specifically for this, but other issues that might be contributing. Figure out why you do this.

After a long and exhaustive self-examination, make a decision. Is anything beyond a temporary or open and casual romantic relationship, or even celibacy, possible for you without cheating and hurting those you love? If not, don't have any such relationships . Yeah, it'll suck. You're not entitled to that one specific type of happiness, though, so stop being a selfish, harmful oval office, and find something better to do with your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mirthless posted:

The thing is, he doesn't have to cut back - she's not making him do anything, other than make trips to the dispensary. His anger at her is really irrational because she's not doing anything that directly affects him, she's just not getting high with him as much

When she's shutting down fun plans over needless paranoia, that affects him.

I will admit I'm probably on the "wrong side" here but she's being ridiculous no matter how many teacher horror stories people tell. How would anyone tell a random couple in a diner is stoned?

Does everyone go around constantly getting in people's face to look for bloodshot eyes?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

boner confessor posted:

weed isn't really addictive but as i've gotten older and watched my peer group go from 100% regular smokers to less than that you can kind of see the people who lean on it as a crutch to get through their daily lives, usually because of anxiety or just because being sober is boring which is its own red flag

Totally false

Equally addictive to every other substance without "physical withdrawal symptoms", which is most of them. You can experience "psychological withdrawal" and gradually build tolerance to the substance. If weed was not addictive, this would not be the case.

WampaLord posted:

I will admit I'm probably on the "wrong side" here but she's being ridiculous no matter how many teacher horror stories people tell. How would anyone tell a random couple in a diner is stoned?

Does everyone go around constantly getting in people's face to look for bloodshot eyes?

If she doesn't want to go out of the house when she's way high, then maybe they shouldn't plan to go out of the house when she's way high

I agree with you that she's being paranoid but it really doesn't affect him. She does not need to smoke weed for them to have fun together. If he believes they need to, he has a problematic relationship with the substance.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

WampaLord posted:

They don't have to know for 100% sure that they're stoned, they just have to suspect (because they're laughing too loud and having a conversation about dumb poo poo, or there's a lingering odor, or whatever) and call the school, which will ask for a drug test, which this woman will fail because she's still doing weed. I guarantee to you that, even if this school district isn't fire-on-the-spot, they will ask for a drug test if any parents voice even a word of suspicion.

Also, most stoners are way less good at not looking stoned in public than they think they are.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Depends on the town, honestly. If there's only one diner in town, chances skyrocket.

Also, if they smoke weed all day, they smell like goddamn weed.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

WampaLord posted:

Except that as many have pointed out, it's not "needless" and is only barely "paranoia" in the loosest sense. Maude Flanders will most assuredly throw a fit at the PTA meeting every week railing about the teacher she saw picking up a six pack during her nightly run to the liquor store for another 5L jug of 5 o'clock, because some people legit think teachers are not allowed to have fun of any kind at all ever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

boner confessor posted:

weed isn't really addictive but as i've gotten older and watched my peer group go from 100% regular smokers to less than that you can kind of see the people who lean on it as a crutch to get through their daily lives, usually because of anxiety or just because being sober is boring which is its own red flag

I can tell the difference between my friends who smoked a shitton and those who didn't, even those who quit years ago. I might not have references or papers, but that's what I've seen so I avoid the stuff.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also: you need to have a job. You don't need to smoke weed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

To be fair we had a really creepy one of these(how the hell did you guess chemistry even?), he was independently wealthy from a lobster fishing business and taught for fun. He'd say things like "Thank you Kelly for keeping ABREAST of the situation." (She was...endowed.)

Our chem teacher was a woman, fwiw, and she spent most of her time doing crazy experiments or pulling off madcap poo poo with the bio teacher across the hall. I think at one point they did a DDR Tournament while we were studying for our AP Chem finals.

Your guy, however, sounds like a creep.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

:murder: yourself

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

boner confessor posted:

a majority of americans dont drink at home with any regularity, no

there's this dumb show called Divided on GSN and one of the questions onetime was how many drinks does the average American male have on a weekly basis. They had to pick two out of the three answers. A. None B. 1 or C. more than 3. All 4 contestants quickly agreed on B & C, and I was sitting there like wtf. How hardcore alcoholic are these losers to think that a normal person drinks more than 3 times a week?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Demon Of The Fall posted:

there's this dumb show called Divided on GSN and one of the questions onetime was how many drinks does the average American male have on a weekly basis. They had to pick two out of the three answers. A. None B. 1 or C. more than 3. All 4 contestants quickly agreed on B & C, and I was sitting there like wtf. How hardcore alcoholic are these losers to think that a normal person drinks more than 3 times a week?

They're the kind of loser that says things like "I don't trust people who don't drink"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
number of drinks isn't number of drinking sessions - maybe they drink 12 drinks once a month

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Mirthless posted:

They're the kind of loser that says things like "I live in Chicago or Milwaukee"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

A lot of people say they "don't drink" or "drink socially" but have a beer or two with (or around) dinner. They don't consider this "drinking" because [olympic gold medal in mental gymnastics] and will answer as having drank 0 despite buying a 6/12 pack every week.

Edit: I am from Michigan and live in Minnesota now so that colors my sample pool a wonderful shade of amber.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

something like 60% of american adults do not drink

of the remainder, 30% are in the "occasional glass of wine with dinner" category and rarely ever drink more than a few drinks a week

it's the rest of us, the 10% of problem drinkers and alcoholics, who think that killing a six pack or a bottle of wine in a night is normal

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Mirthless posted:

The thing is, he doesn't have to cut back - she's not making him do anything, other than make trips to the dispensary. His anger at her is really irrational because she's not doing anything that directly affects him, she's just not getting high with him as much
I mean presumably he wants to do stuff with her, like the fight she posted about is how they couldn't go for a walk and grab a bite because she doesn't wanna take the risk. her not wanting to do stuff when they smoke means they either they do less stuff or smoke less as a whole, it absolutely does affect him. For her she has a good reason to cut back so it's not a hard choice, for him it's gonna make him resent her cause it has nothing to do with him.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

apparently 4/5 of americans basically don't drink and half the remainder basically does nothing but drink:

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 30, 2017

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

number of drinks isn't number of drinking sessions - maybe they drink 12 drinks once a month

I think I am also misrembering how the questions was worded. I think there was a percentage in there, I dunno I was really drunk

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

apparently 4/5 of americans basically don't drink and half the remainder basically does nothing but drink:

What holy crap, I'm guessing these people have a tolerance that lets them be functional, but I would feel like crap if I rocked 74 drinks a week.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 30, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Charles Get-Out posted:

What holy crap, I'm guessing these people have a tolerance that let's them be functional, but I would feel like crap if I rocked 74 drinks a week.

my dad used to be able to kill that in a weekend. some people have a crazy, crazy tolerance for alcohol.

true story: my dad once drank 48 cans of beer on a single afternoon fishing trip

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Charles Get-Out posted:

What holy crap, I'm guessing these people have a tolerance that lets them be functional, but I would feel like crap if I rocked 74 drinks a week.

if you're a regular beer drinker and you drink crap beer all day you can stay functional at a rate of 1-2 beers per hour since it has a relatively low alcohol content and you plateau

makes you fat as poo poo though

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

When I was in high school we had a teacher who would sometimes smoke weed in his car in the middle of the school day.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

What holy crap, I'm guessing these people have a tolerance that let's them be functional, but I would feel like crap if I rocked 74 drinks a week.

Hmm...yeah a couple 30 packs and 2-3 fifths of 35%+ liquor wouldn't have been strange for a week's consumption during my bad years. Add about half a bottle of liquor and six beers for every party on top of that. Admittedly, I started off with higher tolerance, by being fat, at around 320 at the start of my spiral of destruction and 360 at the end. More blood in your body, more booze needed. Throw built up tolerance on top of that and there were some times I could feel and act (read, write, speak, walk, sing, perform complex tasks, breaking and entering, arson, driving) as if I were completely sober after half a bottle of liquor. That's empirically not true, as reactions are still slowed, along with other changes, but intoxication at that level was about as minimally impactful as it could be. It wasn't until the other half of the bottle that things started getting sloppy.

Christ, that all sounds horrifying.

E: add a couple pitchers and a couple doubles for every social outing to the bars, too. gently caress me.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

Hmm...yeah a couple 30 packs and 2-3 fifths of 35%+ liquor wouldn't have been strange for a week's consumption during my bad years. Add about half a bottle of liquor and six beers for every party on top of that. Admittedly, I started off with higher tolerance, by being fat, at around 320 at the start of my spiral of destruction and 360 at the end. More blood in your body, more booze needed. Throw built up tolerance on top of that and there were some times I could feel and act (read, write, speak, walk, sing, perform complex tasks, breaking and entering, arson, driving) as if I were completely sober after half a bottle of liquor. That's empirically not true, as reactions are still slowed, along with other changes, but intoxication at that level was about as minimally impactful as it could be. It wasn't until the other half of the bottle that things started getting sloppy.

Christ, that all sounds horrifying.

E: add a couple pitchers and a couple doubles for every social outing to the bars, too. gently caress me.

jesus christ

welp you're among good company, apparently, seeing as tens of millions of people do exactly that or moreso

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

jesus christ

welp you're among good company, apparently, seeing as tens of millions of people do exactly that or moreso

Well, I stopped, thankfully. I couldn't enjoy aqua vitae responsibly so I did the hard road to sobriety coupled with drugs to make booze not matter to me any more. Worked pretty well. Now I have a beer (as in singular) once or twice a month with a friend. I get a little buzzed. I was completely sober for 6-8 years I honestly stopped counting

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
also keep in mind those measures are deciles and that top level isn't "more than 74 drinks a week" but rather "the people in this group drink on average 74 drinks a week" so the high end functioning alkies who are maybe clearing 30-40 drinks over a weekend are lumped in with the road to damnation nonfunctional alkies who are over 100+ drinks a week

not that 40 drinks in a weekend is any better for your health but aside from being fat and broke you won't be as visible of an addict as the guy begging for change outside a liquor store

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

When I was in high school we had a teacher who would sometimes smoke weed in his car in the middle of the school day.

Impossible. Had a teacher openly enjoyed an intoxicant outside of their home without first bolting all doors, closing all blinds, donning a balaclava, and then waiting 5 hours to sober up the ever vigilant Parents of Students would have spotted the degenerate.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

also keep in mind those measures are deciles and that top level isn't "more than 74 drinks a week" but rather "the people in this group drink on average 74 drinks a week" so the high end functioning alkies who are maybe clearing 30-40 drinks over a weekend are lumped in with the road to damnation nonfunctional alkies who are over 100+ drinks a week

not that 40 drinks in a weekend is any better for your health but aside from being fat and broke you won't be as visible of an addict as the guy begging for change outside a liquor store

1 in 20 people drinking 70+ drinks a week is still absolutely insane.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lazorexplosion posted:

He was smoking pot, but getting high on tenure.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Na'at posted:

Impossible. Had a teacher openly enjoyed an intoxicant outside of their home without first bolting all doors, closing all blinds, donning a balaclava, and then waiting 5 hours to sober up the ever vigilant Parents of Students would have spotted the degenerate.

the 70's were a different time

http://myfrienddahmer.blogspot.com/2013/07/it-was-very-different-time-part-3.html

Straight White Shark posted:

1 in 20 people drinking 70+ drinks a week is still absolutely insane.

yeah for sure, those are the people who are going to die terribly from organ failure

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 30, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Between the drinking, smoking, morbid obesity, historically poor diet and family history of heart and lung disease, as well as heart, lung and brain cancer, I'm surprised I'm not dead at 33, really. Somehow I don't have diabetes, despite my brother, father (who eats well and is in good shape) cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents who have had Type II Wilford-Brimley Syndrome all around me. Maybe I'll get hit by a bus. Men in my family are lucky to get past 60. 50 is a solid showing. I am the untermench.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

boner confessor posted:

Yeah I would like to see both mean and median of each decile, or perhaps even higher resolution at the high end where the lack of precision makes it much less clear than in the tail.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

He was smoking pot, but getting high on tenure.

lmao

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah I would like to see both mean and median of each decile, or perhaps even higher resolution at the high end where the lack of precision makes it much less clear than in the tail.

There's just always one guy, kinda like Highlander, but trying to end it all like Nic Cage in Leaving Las Vegas. He's skewing that up by a good twenty drinks. When one dies, another takes his place.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

To complement the chemistry teacher, our math department head was a total burnout hippy who was definitely stoned a lot and also a good teacher/super awesome. Let hippies teach math.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

IMO we need more child molesters and sexual predators as gym teachers and sports coaches, because you only ever hear about how awesome they were at their jobs and how much they meant to the community. Athletic excellence is worth the price.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

boner confessor posted:

the 70's were a different time

I'm just kind of in disbelief reading everyone else talking about teachers they know being super crazy. Maybe it's just cause I live in CO but I've a few friends who went in to teaching here in different cities and they've never once been shy about getting high as hell and going out or drinking way too much at Kegs and Eggs or the Great American Beer Fest and stumbling around town. By all accounts I guess they should've been fired a decade ago.

Or other places / people just suck idk

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I went to HS 2004-2008; I am pretty sure some of the teachers smoked weed based on just their mannerisms/appearance (so that could be totally wrong and just based on stereotypes) but yeah not a single one would ever admit to smoking nor would they ever smoke in their car during a school day. One of our teachers had a small nose stud and she was considered the 'wild one who may or may not be a lesbian despite the fact that she has a kid.'

Hell the school police officer + the VP would ride around on their golf cart patrolling a few blocks around the school just looking for kids doing that. They'd catch 'em too; suspension at the very least.

This was in Southern CA, too, although granted in a predominantly well off white town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

IMO we need more child molesters and sexual predators as gym teachers and sports coaches, because you only ever hear about how awesome they were at their jobs and how much they meant to the community. Athletic excellence is worth the price.

You can't actually have more than 100%, no matter how often they tell you to give 110%.