Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Joel McHale doing his "rear end in a top hat Bill Murray as male model" thing in a Green Lantern film honestly sounds better than most other things they could do with the character. But then, I don't really get GL, so gently caress my opinion. "Space cops who fight using color" has never sounded not-stupid to me, so casting a comedic actor sounds fine.

John Stewart is more interesting, I guess. But if they want a black character with a cosmic power set, they should use Martian Manhunter who is the goddamn poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Michael Cera would be a perfect fit

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
We should get Terry Crews as John Stewart. And the guy who plays Ragnar Lothbrok on Vikings to play Hal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No on Iron Man 2 he gave direct, pointed design advice to the thing he had to fight.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interesting

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/822948443110842369

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cross posting, but who would make a good Wolverine now that Jackman is done with it? I can't think of anyone for that role.

E: also, I wonder why no one has ever thought about making Plastic Man movie. I think there's a lot of potential there for a really cool film, especially with the proper tone.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 22, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Neo Rasa posted:

Iron Man - Iron Man fights an evil version of himself he indirectly helped create and learns an important lesson.
Iron man 2 - Iron Man fights an evil version of himself he indirectly helped create and learns an important lesson.
Iron Man 3 - Iron Man fights an evil version of himself he indirectly helped create and learns an important lesson.
Age of Ultron - Iron Man fights an evil version of himself he indirectly helped create and learns an important lesson.

Did Tony learn any lesson after he literally built each bolt of Ultron?

BiggerBoat posted:

Cross posting, but who would make a good Wolverine now that Jackman is done with it? I can't think of anyone for that role.

E: also, I wonder why no one has ever thought about making Plastic Man movie. I think there's a lot of potential there for a really cool film, especially with the proper tone.

A Plastic Man movie isn't getting made until a good Fantastic Four movie gets made where Reed Richards isn't the weakest link.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gyges posted:

Yeah, it was "I am the King Midas of murder robots!"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gyges posted:

A Plastic Man movie isn't getting made until a good Fantastic Four movie gets made where Reed Richards isn't the weakest link.

I doubt that. In fact, I'd say stretchiness is the least important thing about Reed Richard. The world just isn't ready for a Plastic Man movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
Richards' stretching powers are a metaphor for the premise that he'd actually be able to maintain a successful relationship.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gyges posted:

He learned how to build the perfect employee, Vision.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

He should make Joker be the villain of Gotham City Sirens, and movie will be about Harley Quinn emancipating herself from him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wouldn't want Joker to be the main villain, or a more grounded story.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah those weren't the problems with the movie. The problems were a story that didn't make any sense (doesn't have to be 'grounded' to have consistent internal logic) and outside of Harley and Deadshot the characters were stupid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gyges posted:

It's a cliche to say that The Incredibles was the best Fantastic Four movie but Elastigirl really was the best depiction of superhero stretch powers I've seen on screen so far.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Detective No. 27 posted:

I doubt that. In fact, I'd say stretchiness is the least important thing about Reed Richard. The world just isn't ready for a Plastic Man movie.

Yes, but execs aren't going to sign off some unknown stretchy guy when they can't even get the famous one to work.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's a cliche to say that The Incredibles was the best Fantastic Four movie but Elastigirl really was the best depiction of superhero stretch powers I've seen on screen so far.

Brad Bird always said it's a movie that totally could've been live action, but it couldn't have been told in the way it was. And I think the animated aspect of it meant they could truly go hog wild with exploring Elastigirl's powers in creative ways, much more so than any live action film where there would be a special effects cost for every scene. I mean hell, she even uses her powers in a domestic argument to assert her equal footing in household...

The Incredibles was great, I should watch it again.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Terrible Horse posted:

Yeah those weren't the problems with the movie. The problems were a story that didn't make any sense (doesn't have to be 'grounded' to have consistent internal logic) and outside of Harley and Deadshot the characters were stupid.

The story makes perfect sense.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah disappointing lessons for Ayer to take from the reception of SS. The only major problem I had with SS was anemic action choreography and some dialogue that could have used another pass. It's a good movie

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I like how the joke is that Deadshot is such a good shot that it's not visually interesting- he just grazes the same small hole over and over like a guy cheating in a video game

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The movie was vanilla as gently caress, except the only thing that set it apart is the incredibly poo poo editing that turned the film into a poppy flavored mess. I'm sure David's heart was in the right place, and I can see, had the film been left alone, it could've been interesting. But as it stands, it's super generic.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

I agree. Trying to tell a grounded story with Enchantress in your movie feels wrong.

e: by "grounded" what I mean would be like, keeping things "street level" with more focus on the Joker, even more character beats (like, the pink unicorn was the one gift Captain Boomerang's mom ever gave him or something), Amanda Waller being less of an all-powerful satan figure...

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 22, 2017

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Suicide Squad didn't need to be more grounded. For my money, the best Squad stories from the comics are the ones where they are massively outclassed, and you wonder how the hell the dude with the boomerangs is gonna survive on a planet of death gods or on a plane of reality with shadow demons. If I wanted a movie where criminals do grounded paramilitary poo poo I'd watch Zero Dark Thirty or American Sniper or any other "the war on terror is real cool and good" film.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ElNarez posted:

Suicide Squad didn't need to be more grounded. For my money, the best Squad stories from the comics are the ones where they are massively outclassed, and you wonder how the hell the dude with the boomerangs is gonna survive on a planet of death gods or on a plane of reality with shadow demons. If I wanted a movie where criminals do grounded paramilitary poo poo I'd watch Zero Dark Thirty or American Sniper or any other "the war on terror is real cool and good" film.

I assume Captain Boomerang survives the same way Hawkeye survives in Avengers poo poo - by the grace of authorial intent rather than any interesting or somewhat special ability?

Suicide Squad was a bad movie - if someone could just do a max edit of it with just the Joker-related parts alongside the waller bits with that initial part of the Enchantress stuff that'd be dope.

Joker stuff was the most interesting part of the movie. Even the Batman cameo was loving stupid - "I'm Batman, I'm going to just go hand to hand with a dude who shoots poo poo while his little daughter is right thereI don't want to follow them home and do it while he's alone" :rolleyes:
Let me tell you, that was NOT my batman.:colbert:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 22, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, the daughter ended up saving Batman's life, so I'd say that worked out well for him.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Ambushing Deadshot in a narrow alley really does seem like the optimal way to take him out. On the other hand, he probably has a minigun stowed away in whatever condo he's living in ala Ben Affleck's character in The Accountant.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Ambushing Deadshot in a narrow alley really does seem like the optimal way to take him out. On the other hand, he probably has a minigun stowed away in whatever condo he's living in ala Ben Affleck's character in The Accountant.

I think a Ben Affleck character would know what another Ben Affleck character would do.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Phylodox posted:

Well, the daughter ended up saving Batman's life, so I'd say that worked out well for him.

I like the idea that Batman didn't wait untill the daughter was with her mom simply because it would be the most hurtful way of taking in Deadshot.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
One thing Suicide Squad did really well was parody Batman without going for just the simplistic "he's a walking action figure" angle. I mean, it also did that, but it was married to this much more straight-laced, suggestive thing. His cold rationalist demeanor when cornering Deadshot ends up being played off of in the chase scene, where Harley tricks him into thinking he can save her with 'the kiss of life.' The movie is filled with really simplistic, ultra-artificial scenarios, and because of that it's probably not going to be appreciated in full until it's attained 'retro' status of its own. Then it'll probably have the same ratio of reverence to derision as Schumacher's flicks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Suicide Squad was bad because it didn't have loads of problems that could have easily be solved by ropes after Slipknot died.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Suicide Squad was bad because it didn't have loads of problems that could have easily be solved by ropes after Slipknot died.

enchantress all getting away at the end, cackling that if they really wanted to keep her restrained they should've used a fisherman's knot

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Suicide squad was good because it was a parody. Duh.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Suicide Squad got me to buy the album Yeezus

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

This would have been a legit fantastic joke and I'm kind of sad they didn't do it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gyges posted:

I like the idea that Batman didn't wait untill the daughter was with her mom simply because it would be the most hurtful way of taking in Deadshot.

Or that he was genuinely afraid of being shot in the mouth and needed a human shield that Deadshot wouldn't risk!

K. Waste posted:

One thing Suicide Squad did really well was parody Batman without going for just the simplistic "he's a walking action figure" angle. I mean, it also did that, but it was married to this much more straight-laced, suggestive thing. His cold rationalist demeanor when cornering Deadshot ends up being played off of in the chase scene, where Harley tricks him into thinking he can save her with 'the kiss of life.' The movie is filled with really simplistic, ultra-artificial scenarios, and because of that it's probably not going to be appreciated in full until it's attained 'retro' status of its own. Then it'll probably have the same ratio of reverence to derision as Schumacher's flicks.

Batsy didn't think she was dead so much as he just wanted to make out with her.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Black Bones posted:

Exactly, but he has to tell himself that he's really just doing it for 'rational' reasons, and she knows that, so that's why she plays possum. It's a really decent scene.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Black Bones posted:

If I don't remember anything else from Suicide Squad, one thing I will remember is that Batman rescued a girl from her boyfriend so he could kiss her.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

If I don't remember anything else from Suicide Squad, one thing I will remember is that Batman rescued a girl from her boyfriend so he could kiss her.

This is why I'm suspecting I'm really gonna dig the extended cut. Maybe all I really need to 'stabilize' Suicide Squad in my mind is Joker literally saying, "Because of you, I don't know who I am anymore," like in a Jim Carrey rom-com, except he's got his psychiatrist strapped to a torture gurney.

Boogey I think it is frequently compares it unfavorably to Mystery Men, and that's a very apt comparison, even if I come at it from the complete opposite perspective that Suicide Squad is rather good at playing in the same thematic ballpark.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also another thing I will remember is that Croc joins Toad from Days of Future Past as a character that is complete and compelling despite having less than a half page of dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

BiggerBoat posted:

As dumb as this sounds, I sort of hope WB tosses the guy who plays Robbie Rotten some cash to be a sort of likeable and pompous Plastic Man in the DCCU, even if just a cameo.

• Locked thread