Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Is O4N the only non-EX or savage fight with mandatory tank swaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Luna Was Here posted:

Are the first time rewards on old content worth it? I was looking through my duty list and saw a few primals I never did (mog, ifrit, Levi) and then on top of them I have all of heavensward to do starting at 54. If not I'll just blast through potd until my brain is bleeding and then storm through whatever hw stuff I need to do so I can finally tackle all the cool SB poo poo I've seen

Getting lots of first time rewards will shower you with poetics to buy gear for any fresh level 50/60 jobs you may have. Also pretty much all of those trials and dungeons are cooler than PotD!

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Cool, I will rain poetics down on any tpt players who will run my primals with me while I try to get accustomed to actually Having Buttons as a drk. Do poetics have a use outside of the gear vendors in mor dhona? are there level 60 vendors that use them too?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Not really. You can pick up a few pets and mats, maybe use the gear for desynthesis.

Your newbie bonus also gives Second Chance points for Wondrous Tails, though... man, haven't done that since the first week of Stormblood.

e: oh right, poes replaced HW tomes :downs:

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 8, 2017

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yes, poetics are used for level 60 gear as well. The vendor for that is in Idylshire.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Luna Was Here posted:

Cool, I will rain poetics down on any tpt players who will run my primals with me while I try to get accustomed to actually Having Buttons as a drk. Do poetics have a use outside of the gear vendors in mor dhona? are there level 60 vendors that use them too?

All of the gear that used to be bought with Lore and Scripture tomes in HW can now be bought with Poetics. The upgrade items are available for Poetics as well. You buy that in Idyllshire.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

:negative: Yeah, people tend to overstate how easy the EX content and normal Omega stuff is. Compared to, say, launch Titan EX or Alex Normal stuff it's certainly easier, but you can most certainly wipe on them if you're not paying attention or if more than one or two people in your party don't have any idea what they're doing. Honestly, I've just been buying the i320 weapons when I get classes to 70, since they're pretty affordable and apparently nearly top of the line if you pentameld them. Plus, I have no other reason to run Susano EX since I got my partydog already.

I'm hoping there's a cheaper/easier alternative than doing Sus EX to get a 320+ weapon come tuesday. I can't reasonably afford the crafted one without sinking 99% of my gil into it. So I have to drift between learning parties because 90% of the farm groups on Aether are all ilvl320+ :smith:

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Bolow posted:

I'm hoping there's a cheaper/easier alternative than doing Sus EX to get a 320+ weapon come tuesday. I can't reasonably afford the crafted one without sinking 99% of my gil into it. So I have to drift between learning parties because 90% of the farm groups on Aether are all ilvl320+ :smith:

It takes 7 weeks for the discs from o4n but otherwise the 330 weapon is pretty easy to get.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

WrightOfWay posted:

There's a tank swap in A6 as well. Technically in A5 and A8 as well, but you can heal through them now. I think A6 can still kill a tank if they don't swap.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bolow posted:

I've had the mats for the 320 HQ weapon for a while, but no one wants to make me one. :(

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Bolow posted:

The 320 HQ weapons are down below 200,000 now. Not an insignificant chunk of change, but it's not anything like the old...240 (?) gear in late HW was that cost 600,000+ gil. You could probably shave some of that off by buying parts and getting a gooncrafter (or FC mate if you're not in a goon FC) instead.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

You can solo tank O4N with ease, no? Long time since I've done O4N but I'm certain I've done that shortly after it came out.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

The 320 HQ weapons are down below 200,000 now. Not an insignificant chunk of change, but it's not anything like the old...240 (?) gear in late HW was that cost 600,000+ gil. You could probably shave some of that off by buying parts and getting a gooncrafter (or FC mate if you're not in a goon FC) instead.

They're 900k on Sargatanas :smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You can solo tank O4N with ease, no? Long time since I've done O4N but I'm certain I've done that shortly after it came out.

Yeah, the tank swap there is far from mandatory. It makes things a little easier for your healer but you can definitely tank through it.

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013

Bolow posted:

They're 900k on Sargatanas :smith:

I'm on Sarg and can craft you the weapon if you'd like. Grabbing the mats for it should be significantly cheaper.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mad Science posted:

I'm on Sarg and can craft you the weapon if you'd like. Grabbing the mats for it should be significantly cheaper.

That's loving awesome, right now I'm in some treasure map group and this is apparently pretty decent money for time spent the guy in my group who strips down into his fetish outfit every sluce gate opening so the game slowly zooms in onto his crotch is the best part. I'm Bolow Santosi there.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
soken plays lost city of ampador music on cardboard box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3cCL8iVC6o&t=74s

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I forgot if theres new equipment to buy with tomes on patch day, I'm maxed out and want to supe up my alt job

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I forgot if theres new equipment to buy with tomes on patch day, I'm maxed out and want to supe up my alt job

No, odd patches are catch up patches. Tomegear upgrades from 24man for non-raiders, extreme trial weapons for people not into o2S or O4s farming yet.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

So no new gear, but what about lowering the cost of old gear? If I buy my SAM tomestone weapon right now am I gonna be mad that its half the cost in 48 hours?

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
There's the new Shinryu EX weapon to consider as well. It would be safest to just wait a day before spending anything.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrostyJones posted:

There's the new Shinryu EX weapon to consider as well. It would be safest to just wait a day before spending anything.

Shrinyu should be 335 and take 10 clears of the fight. Previously you weren't able to buy the weapon upgrade item with tokens or hint logs so 340 will remain requiring O3S.

Did they say that unending coil would have an alternative 345 weapon?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FrostyJones posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what you're doing in the next two days that you need that weapon NOW, there's no reason to take the chance

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
345, same stats as Genji with 3 materia slots, but you need to be i340 AND have cleared O4S.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Managed to arrive at the end of Sastasha at dusk last night.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

FrostyJones posted:

345, same stats as Genji with 3 materia slots, but you need to be i340 AND have cleared O4S.

This effectively just means you need to have cleared o4s, as preformed parties (every party going into this) don't need to match ilevel requirements. You'll probably die without full 340 though, the little bits of the fight we've seen look nasty.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eopia posted:

This effectively just means you need to have cleared o4s, as preformed parties (every party going into this) don't need to match ilevel requirements. You'll probably die without full 340 though, the little bits of the fight we've seen look nasty.

There might be some use for crafted pentamelded vitality accessories or something depending on how bad the dps checks are versus healing checks.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So for overmelding items, what exactly are the restrictions on it? I noticed the NPC can't do it so I have to rely on another player, but do you just keep dumping VI's into it until they stick 3 more times or what?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Bolow posted:

So for overmelding items, what exactly are the restrictions on it? I noticed the NPC can't do it so I have to rely on another player, but do you just keep dumping VI's into it until they stick 3 more times or what?

You can only overmeld one VI, the other 2-3 slots have to be a V or lower.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Also note that generally only crafted gear can be overmelded. Tome gear will have 'advanced melding forbidden' or something on it which means that the slots you see are the slots you get.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Skaw posted:

You can only overmeld one VI, the other 2-3 slots have to be a V or lower.

Oh that's not bad at all cost wise, I got a shitload of V's from leveling. Guess I'll grind some more hunts and get that done today.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What the hell is overmelding

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
On crafted gear, you can attempt to meld materia onto an item beyond the listed number of slots. This process has a <40% chance to succeed starting with the first overmeld, depending on materia grade and item quality, and goes down from there.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

What the hell is overmelding

When you can shove more materia into your gear than its supposed to be able to hold but you need both the crafting skill and eat a risk of destroying the materia

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Remember how overmelding existed in 1.0, but failing meant the item AND materia were both destroyed? :shepspends:

Praise Tanaka.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Remember how overmelding existed in 1.0, but failing meant the item AND materia were both destroyed? :shepspends:

Praise Tanaka.

Wtf lol. Are you serious?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

Wtf lol. Are you serious?

Yep! There's a reason the 2.0 achievement reward for melding 5 materia onto a single item is called "Gambler's Crown". I'm pretty sure they nixed that awful idea in 2.1 shortly before I started playing.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

We know Kugane is going to change when the Ivalice Party Boat is going to park next patch but they can't stop there. What do you think will be the next slowly building area for Stormblood?

I'm thinking that one last town area in the Lochs

Edit: Just started dragoon two days before Patch 4.1 and I guess I'm gonna have to pretend Heavensward didn't happen

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 8, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Yep! There's a reason the 2.0 achievement reward for melding 5 materia onto a single item is called "Gambler's Crown". I'm pretty sure they nixed that awful idea in 2.1 shortly before I started playing.

Wait, that made 2.0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

We know Kugane is going to change when the Ivalice Party Boat is going to park next patch but they can't stop there. What do you think will be the next slowly building area for Stormblood?

I'm thinking that one last town area in the Lochs

Edit: Just started dragoon two days before Patch 4.1 and I guess I'm gonna have to pretend Heavensward didn't happen

Based on precedent, rhalrgr's reach probably