Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I wonder if Rush thinks cigarettes are actually bad for you or it's just a liberal plot to make people not smoke. Because that food rant sounded an awful lot like the poo poo tobacco companies were spewing about their product 30 years ago or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Papers Please? Really? :psyduck:

pengun101 posted:

wow, just wow. How the gently caress do you take that away from Bioshock. What i find funny is all the entire list is bullshit. then again, objectivists were never that intuitive.

Because libertarians think that they will be the leaders of Galt's Gulch. The heavy-handed criticism of objectivism in Bioshock is obviously just a complicated satire of its detractors.

Also, my girlfriend left me because she didn't feel she could ever be good enough for me.

And my high paying job has nothing to do with being a white male from a wealthy family.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

TL;DR of Benghazi is pretty much Fox News/GOP trying to mess up Hillary's run in 2016, correct?

Having a father that watches Fox News all the time makes hearing the word like feeling a knife jammed into your ear.

Do the American people actually give a poo poo? Hell, we have a forum member involved in the attack, and even we're not "Angered"/Searching for answers.

It DOES anger me to see Vilerat's name dragged through this as a right wing talking point though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FuzzySkinner posted:

TL;DR of Benghazi is pretty much Fox News/GOP trying to mess up Hillary's run in 2016, correct?

Yes, although the GOP is also using it to try and angry up the base before the 2014 election. I don't think that they can drag it out to 2016 and hang it on Hillary.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Do the American people actually give a poo poo? Hell, we have a forum member involved in the attack, and even we're not "Angered"/Searching for answers.

I don't think that they do, I don't see Benghazi making a lot of waves outside of the right.

FuzzySkinner posted:

It DOES anger me to see Vilerat's name dragged through this as a right wing talking point though.

Word. I didn't know Vilerat that well, but he was one of ours.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FuzzySkinner posted:

Mostly.

There's also the way it's used to keep the right-wing base amped up and angry. Obama has run a really clean administration that has given its opponents very little to work with, so they're stuck going to the same dry wells over and over (Solyndra, Fast and Furious, IRS investigations), which makes the whole thing sound like a broken record to non-wingnuts. They'd love to have some new material, but that big jerk Obama refuses to give them any. So it's Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi, 24 hours a day.

Finally, there's always the possibility that something will turn up. It doesn't even have to be Benghazi-related. The Watergate investigation was going nowhere until a minor aide offhandedly mentioned a taping system in a preparatory interview. The Lewinsky "scandal" that led to impeachment came out of an investigation that started with the strictly limited task of looking at the billing records of Hillary's old law firm. You poke around long enough and there's a good chance something useful will fall out, even if it's just people's inability to keep their story straight across all the times you drag them out to tell it (which is, naturally, proof of a cover-up and a sign of deep corruption that goes all the way to the top and we need further investigations and this is serious and the President owes it to the American people to come clean etc. etc.)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I don't get why Portal and Half-Life would need an in-house economist.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

StandardVC10 posted:

To run the TF2/Dota2 Hat Empires.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

StandardVC10 posted:

TF2/Dota have a large economy that centers around in game drops, many of which are worth several hundreds of dollars.

Edit: Beaten

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Well yeah, but you'd think that's what they'd mention. Whatever I guess.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I forgot to mention one other thing about Benghazi! - it's a fundraising peg. The GOP and its swarm of affiliated entities will be using the Benghazi scandal to drive donations by trying to convince their base (overwhelmingly made up of befuddled old people) that they need their financial support in order to pierce this administration's lies and finally get to the truth about what actually happened to those brave Americans on that one night in Libya.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I'm not at all the first to mention it, but it's worth relinking: the Vox article on Benghazi offers an excellent summary.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think part of the strategy is to embed the concept of Benghazi Was Bad into the heads of neutral voters who don't follow politics. Most of the country didn't follow the "scandal", but after four years of the right droning on about it, when benghazi comes up during a debate the average Joe might think "Hm yeah that's the thing where Hillary did something wrong." It's easy to build off that with stupid no-right-answer questions like "Do you wish you had done anything different to save those people's lives?"

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
At what point in time does it become "I dunno, I might vote for Mitt in 2016 but I'm definitely not voting for that Ben Ghazi guy."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Seconds after they shut up about it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yes. It may also have something to with Obamacare working out pretty OK so far and the gradual stream of good, though not great, news about the economy and jobs and things. Lynne Cheney was on FOX yesterday suggesting that Hillary was responsible for the Vanity Fair Monica Lewinsky article, which is insane but Greta Van Sustren (or whoever the gently caress it was) was all "hm....interesting theory" and such.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2014/05/07/vanity-fair-responds-to-lynne-cheneys-allegation-about-monica-lewinsky-essay/

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
:lol:

Am I blind or did no one post this awesome Fox News exchange? Eric Bolling weighing in on #BENNNNNGHAAAAZII!!!! circa 2012 election...

quote:

5/5/2014:

ERIC BOLLING: There's one more piece to this. Don't forget that this was prior — prior — to Osama bin Laden being taken down, and the thought was, and the discussion was, is President Obama going into the re-election soft on terror or not? A lot of people were saying.... It was after?

DANA PERINO: Yeah, yeah, yeah. A year.

ERIC BOLLING: My bad, I take it back.

DANA PERINO: But a great point if it were true.

Yes great point regarding the actual alternate reality conservatives have carved out for themselves. Either way it's nice to get an update on what the "a lot of people" in Eric Bolling's head have been discussing.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 8, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Fox News: a great point if it were true.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Another explanation I've heard for the sudden outbreak of Beghazi! Fever is the need for the GOP to distract its lunatic base from the fact that no, despite all their promises, they aren't actually going to repeal Obamacare and they're not interested in making a suicide charge up that hill on their behalf. But they need to demonstrate some ability to deliver for their base, and so we have this high-profile Special House Committee On Benghazi.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jesus libertarians would miss what Bioshock was saying about Rand. Almost surprised they didn't go with Bioshock 2 to show how bad communism is in case any of they have a double plus ungood thought about their ideology.

What other games were on that list?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

:lol:

Am I blind or did no one post this awesome Fox News exchange? Eric Bolling weighing in on #BENNNNNGHAAAAZII!!!! circa 2012 election...

Yes great point regarding the actual alternate reality conservatives have carved out for themselves. Either way it's nice to get an update on what the "a lot of people" in Eric Bolling's head have been discussing.

That's so dumb, the only slogan I can remember Obama using in the 2012 campaign was 'Bin Laden is dead and Ford is alive.' How do you so gently caress up the timeline that you think Osama wasn't taken out until after Benghazi?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KomradeX posted:

Just stupid clickbait poo poo for lifestyle posing twentysomething republicans who don't want to admit they're repubicans yet.

http://reason.com/archives/2014/05/07/video-games-every-libertarian

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

quote:

That is astounding.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

KomradeX posted:

Jesus libertarians would miss what Bioshock was saying about Rand. Almost surprised they didn't go with Bioshock 2 to show how bad communism is in case any of they have a double plus ungood thought about their ideology.

Papers, Please.
Deus Ex.
Fable III (yeah seriously, that game sucked guys).
Fallout 3. ("Warring tribes of wannabe authority figures fight for control, thugs and scammers try to take your guns and your money at every turn, super-intelligent robots try to reengineer society, and the whole place is overrun with mutants. In other words, it's a lot like the Washington, D.C., we all know and love today.")
LA Noire.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ah yes, LA Noire. The game where you play as a gov't employee arresting and interrogating mostly people who had not much to do with the actual crime, rummaging through their homes and businesses and occasionally shooting them. That ol' Libertarian classic.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Papers, Please.
Deus Ex.
Fallout 3. ("Warring tribes of wannabe authority figures fight for control, thugs and scammers try to take your guns and your money at every turn, super-intelligent robots try to reengineer society, and the whole place is overrun with mutants. In other words, it's a lot like the Washington, D.C., we all know and love today.")
LA Noire.

Papers, Please: A game about being an immigration officer and denying or approving entry into an Eastern European country. Deals with shades of gray, authoritarianism, and humanity... The readers most likely think it's a high-larious joke about bureaucracy and they just denied every single person.

Deus Ex: The whole premise of the game is that there's a global conspiracy that is bought and paid for by corporations. But governments are bad! And I'm totally not going to be an NPC dying in the streets, I'm going to be the super cool JC for reals. *puts on shades*

Fable III: Peter Molyneux somehow suckered a company into paying for another two Fable games. He apparently also suckered someone to play the other two Fable games.

Fallout 3: Another self-insert game that is pretty interesting narratively. Has a Zyborne Clock reference. RIP Johnny Five Aces.

LA Noire: Literally another game about how the private sector buys the government to do whatever the gently caress they want. You're a police officer trying to uphold the law, but it turns out that private companies have bought out the higher ups in government.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

Papers, Please: A game about being an immigration officer and denying or approving entry into an Eastern European country. Deals with shades of gray, authoritarianism, and humanity... The readers most likely think it's a high-larious joke about bureaucracy and they just denied every single person.

Deus Ex: The whole premise of the game is that there's a global conspiracy that is bought and paid for by corporations. But governments are bad! And I'm totally not going to be an NPC dying in the streets, I'm going to be the super cool JC for reals. *puts on shades*

Fable III: Peter Molyneux somehow suckered a company into paying for another two Fable games. He apparently also suckered someone to play the other two Fable games.

Fallout 3: Another self-insert game that is pretty interesting narratively. Has a Zyborne Clock reference. RIP Johnny Five Aces.

LA Noire: Literally another game about how the private sector buys the government to do whatever the gently caress they want. You're a police officer trying to uphold the law, but it turns out that private companies have bought out the higher ups in government.

You forgot about how only one of the three possible endings to Deus Ex is "libertarian (more communal anarchist) while the other two are,you become God and run humanity as a benevolent big brother, and then you hand over rule to a bunch of soft paternalist authoritarians. Seriously that really is a libertarian game.

Mr Interweb posted:

That cover art is hilarious, and Reason is a garbage rag, but hell it's fair to give the douches credit for not being anti-video games. I'm not sure if he's in that category, but Ed Schulz was bitching about GTA5 on one of his programs back when it came out, and that's quite disappointing. :smith:

And is this article about tax breaks for the gaming industry true?

http://reason.com/reasontv/2014/05/06/tax-breaks-for-game-makers-epic-fail

I can't believe video games are more subsidized the oil or financial industry.

I would like to believe not. But then anything funded by the sociopaths who call themselves Koch is probably lying through its teeth. Also of course one could easily argue that the lack of extraction taxes on oil, gas and coal is by itself a huge subsidy to the resource extraction industries. Being that such taxes would be to clean up the locations where the resources are being extracted.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 8, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Mr Interweb posted:

Now you know one of the reasons for the gaming industry boom. For better or worse.

Indie development houses and small indie teams don't get to take advantage of that to my knowledge though - this is something that affects mainstream stuff more. You know, the big media conglomerates raking in millions with triple A titles and unethically monetized this-and-thats.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ATP_Power posted:

Something something Aaron Sorkin
http://youtu.be/yGAvwSp86hY

Speaking of which, anyone else not too hot about The Newsroom? I was a huge fan of the West Wing, but Newsroom comes off as really preachy, but in a really irritating, ham fisted way.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

Fallout 3 is so bad and boring that you confused it with New Vegas, which actually does have an inept oppressive government theme rather than the ruins of DC.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Fallout 3 is so bad and boring that you confused it with New Vegas, which actually does have an inept oppressive government theme rather than the ruins of DC.

You would think that they would be all over NV because it has a benevolent techno-authoritarian who views his citizens as customers.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

That is astounding.

I'd have to see the delivery, but reading it that makes it sound like it needed an :iceburn: after

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

quote:

Dittoheads, Great Americans, Fairness and Balance - Right Wing Media: Interesting if true!

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 8, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I could deal with the shittiness of our media a lot better if it was all delivered via Howard Cosell.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mr Interweb posted:

Actually, isn't that his sister?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yes, its the sister.
My bad, I take it back.

Mr Interweb posted:

That cover art is hilarious, and Reason is a garbage rag, but hell it's fair to give the douches credit for not being anti-video games. I'm not sure if he's in that category, but Ed Schulz was bitching about GTA5 on one of his programs back when it came out, and that's quite disappointing. :smith:

"And I must admit, I'm not convinced that the unemployed son spending 17 hours in the basement of his mother's house working on his Doom 3 is making a grand contribution."

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Papers, Please.
Deus Ex.
LA Noire.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ah yes, LA Noire. The game where you play as a gov't employee arresting and interrogating mostly people who had not much to do with the actual crime, rummaging through their homes and businesses and occasionally shooting them. That ol' Libertarian classic.
Well the corruption and oppressiveness of the LAPD could be seen as making a Libertarian point.

Fable III is hilarious though since you have to raise taxes which makes everyone hate you in order to fight a creeping world-ending threat. Basically people are too dumb to know enough to pay taxes even when their entire existence depends on it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wait we have to give credit to Reason for not making GBS threads on video games? Do you think they want their readership to not only immediately stop reading their magazine, but send them crazed death threats as well?

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.

Mr Interweb posted:

Speaking of which, anyone else not too hot about The Newsroom? I was a huge fan of the West Wing, but Newsroom comes off as really preachy, but in a really irritating, ham fisted way.

no, it's a dumb show. Typical late-era Sorkin: way too self-important, too many characters who act the way live humans never ever would act. The female characters seem too dumb to function. Maybe the West Wing was more the exception than the rule.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cardboard Box A posted:

My bad, I take it back.

"And I must admit, I'm not convinced that the unemployed son spending 17 hours in the basement of his mother's house working on his Doom 3 is making a grand contribution."

Well the corruption and oppressiveness of the LAPD could be seen as making a Libertarian point.

Fable III is hilarious though since you have to raise taxes which makes everyone hate you in order to fight a creeping world-ending threat. Basically people are too dumb to know enough to pay taxes even when their entire existence depends on it.

My mind is still blown over the bioshock one. Its literaly "andrew ryan did nothing wrong". The line that really hits me is "looters are treated as scum" line. how the gently caress do you miss the point that much.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

peter banana posted:

no, it's a dumb show. Typical late-era Sorkin: way too self-important, too many characters who act the way live humans never ever would act. The female characters seem too dumb to function. Maybe the West Wing was more the exception than the rule.

I lost interest when the blond chick falls in love with the lovable dork. Ironically, Twilight was a better romance.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

FMguru posted:

Another explanation I've heard for the sudden outbreak of Beghazi! Fever is the need for the GOP to distract its lunatic base from the fact that no, despite all their promises, they aren't actually going to repeal Obamacare and they're not interested in making a suicide charge up that hill on their behalf. But they need to demonstrate some ability to deliver for their base, and so we have this high-profile Special House Committee On Benghazi.

This wouldn't surprise me. The GOP knew they had to kill Obamacare before it went into effect, since outright repealing a social program once people start benefiting from it is just about impossible. The latest debt ceiling fight was their last chance, and they blew it. Now that the ACA is exceeding enrollment expectations and is actually dropping the uninsured rate, the repeal ship has sailed.

They're still going to try to gently caress with it, but you're going to hear a lot less about actually repealing it going forward. The right wing outrage machine will very quietly shelf the "repeal Obamacare" talking points while they work out another angle of attack. In the meantime they're going to crank Benghazi up to 11, because they need something to keep the base frothing and that's pretty much all they have left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Interweb posted:

Name a multibillion dollar industry that hasn't been able to get itself tax breaks.

Anyway, I doubt it's actually more subsidized, but video game companies are in the position to get tax incentives and other related benefits from things originally set up for multiple different industries. A video game company with a good lawyer and accountant could easily get itself hooked up with tax incentives originally meant for generic tech companies, and "performing arts" and so on.