Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
So I vassalized some jerks, and apparently one of them was too close to a fallen empire, so they declared war on them to remove an outpost. This in effect declared war on me, and when I surrendered, they assassinated my immortal psychic ruler. I feel like in this case I should have been able to tell my vassal to kill his stupid outpost before the war started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

GodFish posted:

So I vassalized some jerks, and apparently one of them was too close to a fallen empire, so they declared war on them to remove an outpost. This in effect declared war on me, and when I surrendered, they assassinated my immortal psychic ruler. I feel like in this case I should have been able to tell my vassal to kill his stupid outpost before the war started.

why didnt the FE remove that outpost before your rolled in? story doesnt add up, that FE did nothing wrong!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Relevant Tangent posted:

Let me tell you the story of Fronds of Gold. Even as a sprout they were smart. Once a season had passed and they were in full bloom it was obvious they were the smartest being on the planet. Then they were taken by aliens. The aliens had flying vessels, but even they weren't as smart as FoG. The aliens had FoG help a giant sphere calculate infinity and create a new Universe. They had FoG examine an impossible ceramic teapot floating in the corona of a sun. FoG raised two species to sentience. Eventually. FoG was elected leader of the aliens, and used their power to raise their own species into space. FoG outlived three generations of his adopted people, led them through multiple wars, and ultimately died surrounded by four species who cherished their wisdom and kindness.

:3:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/938003599589769216

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Deep Space Black sites better occasionally result in a super-hardened escapee sabotaging you.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
None of the rationales I can think of for why Planetary Unification unlocks that are comforting.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Finally, I can add gigantic picture windows to my spaceships giving my crew a perfect view of the galaxy while they're cruising around space.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GunnerJ posted:

None of the rationales I can think of for why Planetary Unification unlocks that are comforting.

Can't make a space omelette without imprisoning a few space eggs.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Aw man I felt bad when I set a primitive species to be exterminated. Literal chills as I pressed the button. I'm not cut out to be a killer robot. :smith:

Just like when I borrowed a lot of money from Jewish moneylenders and then exiled all their people from my lands just so I didn't have to repay them in CK2.

It's all Paradox's fault.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 5, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It gets easier after the first few million :stalin:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Improbable Lobster posted:

Can't make a space omelette without imprisoning a few space eggs.

The space eggs should really be destroyed, don't go near those things!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why do all the human portraits have a look like they're accusing you of farting near them

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

It looks like tech costs are getting changed too, I don’t think I’ve ever seen something cost those amounts of research before.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. Maybe it'll change so endgame researching doesn't take decades unless you devote a hundred habitats to nothing but research domes. My current empire requires a million+ for research, and everything is minimum six years despite having dozens of world's devoted to research and 4 complete halos covered in nothing but research + assist researching scientists on all of them.

Have they said whether they're revamping ground assault too? Like I literally don't see a reason to ever even hire a general when leader slots are at an absolute premium most of the time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It looks like they're going into more specific research too. Stuff like "improved corvettes" and "FTL inhibitors" wouldn't be its own tech in the old system I think. This might make the random cards more important, as you can get steered into a direction somewhat if there's a lot more cards, so you can't draw something specific as easily.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm fully on board with the idea that the tech deck should be 3x the current size and have paths that diverge and lock others off. I want my psychic supermensch gestalt's and fully organic planetary god minds.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hi, fairly inexperienced Stellaris player here, looking to do a multiplayer game with my buddy in a couple of hours. I've played a few games recently using the synthetic dawn DLC, but my overall understanding of the game is mediocre at best.

Can someone give me a decent build to give a go? I doesn't have to be a machine build. Just something that will be fun to play and doesn't delve too much into the more complex systems and will allow me to be competitive late game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Take Thrifty, Industrious, and Conservationist, balanced with Repugnant and Nonadaptive. For civics, go Inwards Perfection and Mining Guilds. Ethos Spiritualist, Pacifist, Xenophobe. Purge all xenos, terraform all planets, get crazy psychic powers.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm fully on board with the idea that the tech deck should be 3x the current size and have paths that diverge and lock others off.

I agree with the first half of this, but I hate the idea of locking tech paths. I want to be able to research everything.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

binge crotching posted:

I agree with the first half of this, but I hate the idea of locking tech paths. I want to be able to research everything.

Nah. I think unique techs that only show up some games is cool. Especially if there are enough of them do that you always get some.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

binge crotching posted:

I'd like to see more Ascension paths that are mutually exclusive and give your empire access to exotic technologies that really set you apart from your neighbors and rivals. It'd be a way to capture a little bit of what makes the different races in MOO2 or Endless Space stand out from each other. That and more civics that change how you interact with other empires and resources.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I will straight up murder someone if automated survey protocols are made harder to research. Otherwise yes more researches good, mutually exclusive researches potentially good.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Really? I can think of a fairly neutral one: you can't create a secret installation when your funding for any spacebourne development is given by several dozen nations with competing interests. There's just far too many variables and not enough ways to hide it.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
What if the default was that some tech trees would shut off access to others, but there was an option to just leave everything unlocked?

If that didn't work, I'm sure there is/would be a mod to unlock all techs.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

there's normal design & balancing, and then there's balancing for people playing 5 century games on very large galaxies... the game is designed for maybe 150-200 years and then you're in the weeds.

i mean there's already pretty rare techs that are low-probability and often need scientist traits. You can get them all eventually if you're exhausting the tech trees, but...

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Splicer posted:

I will straight up murder someone if automated survey protocols are made harder to research. Otherwise yes more researches good, mutually exclusive researches potentially good.

Automated survey should be unlocked from the start and the Map the Stars edict shouldn't exist.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Relevant Tangent posted:

Automated survey should be unlocked from the start and the Map the Stars edict shouldn't exist.

Agreed, it's 100% a stubborn hold-over from "hands-on exploration is a key feature of the game"

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It should totally be unlocked from the start yeah. Or have it unlock if you are done with the tutorial/when you turn the tutorial off.

Even if automated exploration is suboptimal at the start, it's okay if doing it suboptimally is a choice. The threshold where the tedium begins is different for everyone - you'll never manage to find a timing for it that's perfect for everyone, so just give the choice to the players, from the start.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm just pumped I won't feel "forced" to explore the whole galaxy within the first years with my starting ships anymore.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Automated surveying isn't part of the base techs?

*checks*

Hahaha, I've had that mod for so long I thought it was part of the base game, because why wouldn't my science ship know to do it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Relevant Tangent posted:

This is probably the most correct sentence in the thread.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I'm just pumped I won't feel "forced" to explore the whole galaxy within the first years with my starting ships anymore.
Between this and the fact that borders will nicely follow hyperlanes Stellaris 2.0 is going to feel so much more comfortable to me.

Unfortunately we're well past the point of new promised features making the current version of the game unplayable for me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Relevant Tangent posted:

I find the +anomaly stuff frustrating. Failed anomaly rolls are one of the only things you can't "catch up" on.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Splicer posted:

I find the +anomaly stuff frustrating. Failed anomaly rolls are one of the only things you can't "catch up" on.

Just roll the edict bonus into every empire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Splicer posted:

Anomalies really should be either there or not and chance to find them shouldn't be a thing, because it functions as chance to [i]produce[i] them.

They already take high level scientists to research some of them so I don't get the idea of it being random whether you produce one or not.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I much prefer how endless space does anomalies. They are pre-set and visible, no discovery chance. They often stay relevant as the game goes on because you need higher levels of anomaly research tech to attempt them. Stellaris sort of skill-gates them, but failure can be quite annoying. I usually prefer more binary systems, like "you need X level scientist to research this" and it's an automatic success. Less worry about bad dice rolls.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm deeply ashamed that I missed that opportunity.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Don't you guys just leave the anomaly alone if it's <80% success rate and come back to it later?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Depends on how lazy I feel like being and/or if I really care about some dumbass scientist getting himself killed. Usually 50%-60% is what I'm comfortable with.

Not hard to reach with a somewhat seasoned leader and if you're going down the Discovery tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm deeply ashamed that I missed that opportunity.

Me too. Remembered frondly would have been so good. Alas.

• Locked thread