Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

jeff8472 posted:

I think Onkyo recommended something like 8" of open space over their current receivers

Hrm, my cable box sits right on top. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManWhatADork
Oct 2, 2001

Spamtheman posted:

Honestly this is a stunning living room, very nicely done. The lighting works fantastically.

Thanks! This is the first time we have attempted anything like this and we are very pleased with the results...

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I don't have a picture of mine at the moment, however I had a memory of something that I may have seen here.

Was I dreaming, or was there pictures of a guy who basically built a home theatre room underground where his garage previously was and after it was finished he built his garage back on top of it.

Artistic Monkey
Jan 8, 2004
For the amount of time it took, it better be super goddamn awesome. Really though it is very very nice to hangout in the living room now, make him post some before shots.

the_reading_rainbow
Dec 20, 2009

Friends to know, and ways to grow, a Reading Rainbow.

Basically the only thing in my studio apartment is my AV set-up. We have a custom HTPC, specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium
AMD Athlon II X2 245 @ 2.9GHz
ASRock A780LM 760G AM2+
Sapphire 100277L Radeon HD 4770 512MB
G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
Western Digital Green 640GB
Antec New Solution NSK2480

This guy plays my blu-rays and 1080p streams like a dream, connected via HDMI to my LG 50PS60 50" 1080p Plasma HDTV. Also pictured is my Xbox 360 connected via HDMI. I'm planning on buying a soundbar once I can find one for cheap on slickdeals.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!
I live in a small-rear end apartment

Logitech Z2300s are insane for my tiny place. I like them.

Bedroom TV and DVD player. Good for falling asleep to History Chanel.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

My new setup temporarily. New 50" Samsung plasma is much more awesome than the 37" westinghouse I had.
Just need to wait now for my audio setup I bought a year ago to get up here along with my consoles and desktop computer. Borrowing my roommates xbox at the moment.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Our setup, it is really messy at the moment but I'd like to get rid of all that cable mess, what is the best solution for cable management?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Bought a house and finally got my home theater setup. Its supposed to be a dining room, but I decided to merge that with my living room and turn this room into the theater room. I've got curtains coming soon.

Stealth mode

All of the speaker wires and projector cables were ran in wall with an outlet installed for the projector.

Mitsubishi HC5500 1080p Projector
106" 16:9 Projector Screen
Onkyo TX-SR607 Receiver
Aperion Audio Speakers
HTPC
Nintendo Wii
PS3

I'll probably get some kind of rack for the A/V gear at some point, but for now its good where it is.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
Wow! That looks really nice! Just need to hide that HTPC better (or at least get a better case.)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Oh wow, I was too busy looking at the nice decorating. drat that case is ugly!

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

kuffs posted:

Oh wow, I was too busy looking at the nice decorating. drat that case is ugly!

Yeah, its really old. I haven't had any need to change it. And I really really like the design cause its very easy to pull apart and has a slide out motherboard tray.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

Get a roll of Velcro instead, zipties suck.

sticky back velcro strips? how is that helpful?

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

crm posted:

sticky back velcro strips? how is that helpful?

They make a ziptie variant that's velcro instead of plastic, so you can reuse them. You haven't seen those on computer cables that come packed with electronics, like USB cables for hard drives and such?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

ok THOSE I have seen. Any idea where to find them?

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

crm posted:

Meh. Radioshack, Amazon, maybe some bigger Best Buy/equivalents. Any store that has a lot of cables, I'd imagine.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Welp, I know what I'll be doing today!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

crm posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Reusab...id=X4J2SWL2CAXS

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Woot, like $5 at Office Max. Thanks guys!

Best Buy and Target had some, but it like 7 of them for $10 and they were rainbow colored lol.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

bEatmstrJ posted:

Bought a house and finally got my home theater setup.

Nice setup and nice house! Are those acoustic treatments on the wall? Love how they echo the rug.

You've got a good sense for aesthetics.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Here ya go, mine is as simple, and apparently as 70's funk, as it gets please excuse the lovely iphone pic, I haven't unboxed my camera stuff yet after the move. 50" Panasonic 1080p plasma, xbox 360, MS natural keyboard for facebook/last.fm lookup, wii with gamecube controller for mario kart and a bose cinemate 2 sound system and bonus golliwog my friend bought back with him from his trip to Australia hanging out on my shelves. Go ahead, begin the skewering for the bose, they are a perfect fit for how small the room is though.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

keykey posted:

Here ya go, mine is as simple, and apparently as 70's funk, as it gets please excuse the lovely iphone pic, I haven't unboxed my camera stuff yet after the move. 50" Panasonic 1080p plasma, xbox 360, MS natural keyboard for facebook/last.fm lookup, wii with gamecube controller for mario kart and a bose cinemate 2 sound system and bonus golliwog my friend bought back with him from his trip to Australia hanging out on my shelves. Go ahead, begin the skewering for the bose, they are a perfect fit for how small the room is though.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

looks like your house is leaning a little to the right, might want to check the foundation or else everything in those shelves will start sliding :smugbert:

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Pibborando San posted:

Nice setup and nice house! Are those acoustic treatments on the wall? Love how they echo the rug.

You've got a good sense for aesthetics.

Thank you. Actually its not acoustic at all, but i've been told I should tell people that so I sound more hard core. Its just something I saw somewhere that I liked so I decided to recreate the idea myself and I knew it would go well in that room. I built that from scratch and posted it in the post your projects thread here if you wanna check it out:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734807&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=14#post374744947

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Got my speakers up here about a month ago and finally got my camera back yesterday so I could take some new photos of my little room setup. Still kinda want to get a subwoofer but all the ones I find that I'd buy the companies won't ship to Alaska.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Are those older single-digit iQ speakers, or the newer double-digit iQ? (iQ5 vs iQ50). I moved recently and one of my iQ3s had it's cloth cover smashed in, also smashing the tweeter. I got reimbursed for the cost of the single speaker, but of course you can only purchase them in pairs. Not to mention iQ30s are twice as expensive as what I paid for a brand new retail pair the iQ3s. Now I suffer with a lopsided 4.1 system until I can find a replacement :(

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
Just moved and changed my setup a bit.

Living Room:

Samsung UN55C8000 LED TV
Onkyo TX-SR706 Amp
Xbox 360
PS3
DirecTV HR23-700 DVR
B&W 685 Front/Rears
B&W HT61 Center
Polk poo poo Subwoofer
Logitech Harmony 1100
Salamander Synergy AV Stand

I am going to be getting a new Subwoofer shortly along with B&W 683 fronts. And I'll hide some cables.

Bedroom:

Samsung LN46A950 LCD TV
Panasonic DMP-BD55
DirecTV HR23-700 DVR
Logitech Harmony 1000
DWR Titan Media Stand

I am going to be replacing the Panasonic DMP-BD55 with a PS3 slim so that I can stream movies and Netflix.

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 2, 2010

greginno
Jan 7, 2004
Hey Belldandy,

I really like that Salamander stand - is that the Walnut or Cherry finish? I have a dark brown coffee table and am trying to decide which goes best, but the Amazon images are a bit dodgy looking on this laptop screen. Do you prefer the black hardware with the silver bezel of the UN55C8000? I have the same unit, and clearly possess no sense of aesthetic, so I'd love to hear your opinion.

Thanks.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

greginno posted:

Hey Belldandy,

I really like that Salamander stand - is that the Walnut or Cherry finish? I have a dark brown coffee table and am trying to decide which goes best, but the Amazon images are a bit dodgy looking on this laptop screen. Do you prefer the black hardware with the silver bezel of the UN55C8000? I have the same unit, and clearly possess no sense of aesthetic, so I'd love to hear your opinion.

Thanks.

If it matters, I love the Salamander units for many reasons. I think they are the best on the market now.

Mine is Walnut/Black. I liked the Walnut best out of any of the finishes. The cherry is surprisingly light and didn't look very good. the exact model I have is:

Salamander Synergy 236 A/V Cabinet w/ Two Doors & Media Drawer (Walnut/Black)

I actually am keeping the black hardware to match the speakers and the cabinet faces. Salamander made a mistake on their shade of silver. It's way too bright and with a dark wood like Walnut it provides too much of a contrast. If they had more of a "brushed aluminum" tone like the silver color of the DWR Titan Media Stand I have in my bedroom, I'd be all over the silver hardware in a minute. Instead it ends up looking tacky and cheap. With that said, I think I am going to order the polished metal feet for the Salamander as it will end up matching the TV stand.

Also, check out the Salamander Madrid. I think if I was doing things over again I may have gone with that one:

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/madrid/ma7022.jsp

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 3, 2010

greginno
Jan 7, 2004
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like the Walnut/Black Synergy 236 is on sale at Amazon for 875 shipped. Seems like a fair number, so I'm gonna go for it.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

greginno posted:

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like the Walnut/Black Synergy 236 is on sale at Amazon for 875 shipped. Seems like a fair number, so I'm gonna go for it.

Good christ, that's like 300-400 less than I paid. Go get it.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

porksmash posted:

Are those older single-digit iQ speakers, or the newer double-digit iQ? (iQ5 vs iQ50). I moved recently and one of my iQ3s had it's cloth cover smashed in, also smashing the tweeter. I got reimbursed for the cost of the single speaker, but of course you can only purchase them in pairs. Not to mention iQ30s are twice as expensive as what I paid for a brand new retail pair the iQ3s. Now I suffer with a lopsided 4.1 system until I can find a replacement :(

The single digit ones, bought them back last January when they got discontinued for the new model and vanns and the like was blowing them out for cheap

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

ManWhatADork posted:

The finished product:

Hopefully you're still checking this thread, but are you happy with the height of the TV on the LACK TV Stand? I was planning on buying one for my 47".

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Been going through the last few pages, some nice setups, especially ManWhatADork's. I just had to comment on this though:

clredwolf posted:

Haha! :cool: That was my first amp when I was a teenager, inherited from my Dad after it had been used in the finished basement of our previous house. Still a Technics man when it comes to amps.

ManWhatADork
Oct 2, 2001

Wazzit posted:

Hopefully you're still checking this thread, but are you happy with the height of the TV on the LACK TV Stand? I was planning on buying one for my 47".

Yes, I am very happy with the height. My wife and I have had arguments in the past, she is of the thought that a tv would be wonderful over a fireplace. I think that would be a terrible idea to be craning your head up to see it when seated.

Everyone has been really happy with the height. The stand on that TV is really low profile. If you need it higher any vesa compliant mount should be able to raise it up.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

ManWhatADork posted:

Yes, I am very happy with the height. My wife and I have had arguments in the past, she is of the thought that a tv would be wonderful over a fireplace. I think that would be a terrible idea to be craning your head up to see it when seated.

Everyone has been really happy with the height. The stand on that TV is really low profile. If you need it higher any vesa compliant mount should be able to raise it up.

I'm definitely with you on that, everytime I'm at a friends house with a TV over the fireplace, my neck gets cramped up.

Thanks for the quick response, I really dig your setup!

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

ManWhatADork posted:

The rear surround speakers are from Monoprice. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083703&p_id=4104&seq=1&format=2
So far I am very happy with the sound and was glad not to have to find a place to mount the rear surrounds that came with my Onkyo HTIB. Cutting the holes in the ceiling was scary though!

Also, how did you run the wires to the in-ceiling speakers? In-ceiling speakers seem like a great idea but I don't have any idea how to implement them :(

Malakesh
Nov 4, 2009
"Also it may be a bit easier to explain my background with audio. I am a musician. I play the drums. I also sell high end audio and home theater. I am used to the best."

Just wanted to post the link to the photos of the store I work at. Some of you may nut yourselves over a few of the items. I apologize for the quality of some of them.
Anyhow click this link for the album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50798970@N05/

If you have any questions about these or want to see more just let me know in the thread.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Malakesh posted:

Just wanted to post the link to the photos of the store I work at. Some of you may nut yourselves over a few of the items. I apologize for the quality of some of them.
Anyhow click this link for the album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50798970@N05/

If you have any questions about these or want to see more just let me know in the thread.

drat SON.

Are the B&W 800s as good as they say? What about the Nautilus?

Malakesh
Nov 4, 2009
"Also it may be a bit easier to explain my background with audio. I am a musician. I play the drums. I also sell high end audio and home theater. I am used to the best."

Belldandy posted:

drat SON.

Are the B&W 800s as good as they say? What about the Nautilus?

Most definitely. The 800's are easily one of the best speakers I have ever heard. There is a reason they use them in every major recording studio. I have often just taken my cd's and listened to them on this system when we have slow periods. The speakers just have this ability to reveal everything about the audio. However in some cases this not a good thing, as some of the albums I played were not mastered very well. This is kind of a given though.

Regarding the Nautilus: If you want to hear whatever recording with absolutely no speaker coloring and frequency ranges that are very rare then these are your speakers. It's one of the few speakers available that can fully reproduce a pipe organ, which is an incredibly difficult feat. The imaging on the Nautilus is just spectacular. If you want a full concert experience in your living room get these!!
However just be aware of the 60k price tag. Not too mention the 50-100k in components you need to run them too.

I personally like the 800's more as for some reason they feel more natural to me. It might be the difference of using classe vs mac but I just like the 800's more. The Nautilus almost reveal too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

I never thought about the speaker being so good it actually reveals poor mastering. That's awesome. I need to go to the local B&W store to check those out. Thanks for the pictures!