Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Hi this game is so good that:

1. A couple of weeks ago I shamed myself for forgetting to finish Chapter 4 when I first got it back in...early adulthood
2. Picked up my glorious Carnival Red PSP that I bought as a souvenir from my Tokyo 2016 trip, to start a fresh save
3. Ordered a genuine PSP component cable to hook up to my TV because I thought I'd lost my old one somewhere
4. Found the old cable and now I'm still waiting on the return for the new cable
5. Bricked the glorious Carnival Red PSP because I forgot that the custom firmware I was using for the PSP was some janky stuff that was also used to apply translation patches (notably Valkyria Chronicles 3) and I should have flashed on something better instead of touching the stupid recovery menu
6. Popped open the PSP in order to attempt open-heart surgery on it; dropped said PSP during the procedure and ripped a ribbon cable on the display, turning the PSP into a write-off
7. Remembered that I had a PS Vita and decided to violate that too
8. Miraculously revived the battery despite not having touched the console in several years, flashed on custom firmware for that which allowed me to play LUCT without my game UMD
9. Plugin on the CFW for the Vita lets me hook up to my PC which is then hooked up to my TV. USB from the Vita gets captured by PotPlayer/OBS streaming in this process

:banjo:

Now on Chapter 2L and realizing that I ought to try those crafting animation/RNG cheats for making that process less arduous. Thanks OP!

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Nomyth posted:

Hi this game is so good that:

1. A couple of weeks ago I shamed myself for forgetting to finish Chapter 4 when I first got it back in...early adulthood
2. Picked up my glorious Carnival Red PSP that I bought as a souvenir from my Tokyo 2016 trip, to start a fresh save
3. Ordered a genuine PSP component cable to hook up to my TV because I thought I'd lost my old one somewhere
4. Found the old cable and now I'm still waiting on the return for the new cable
5. Bricked the glorious Carnival Red PSP because I forgot that the custom firmware I was using for the PSP was some janky stuff that was also used to apply translation patches (notably Valkyria Chronicles 3) and I should have flashed on something better instead of touching the stupid recovery menu
6. Popped open the PSP in order to attempt open-heart surgery on it; dropped said PSP during the procedure and ripped a ribbon cable on the display, turning the PSP into a write-off
7. Remembered that I had a PS Vita and decided to violate that too
8. Miraculously revived the battery despite not having touched the console in several years, flashed on custom firmware for that which allowed me to play LUCT without my game UMD
9. Plugin on the CFW for the Vita lets me hook up to my PC which is then hooked up to my TV. USB from the Vita gets captured by PotPlayer/OBS streaming in this process

:banjo:

Now on Chapter 2L and realizing that I ought to try those crafting animation/RNG cheats for making that process less arduous. Thanks OP!

That's genuinely impressive (I never owned a Vita). I have long, fat hands big enough to palm a basketball and, like basically every hand-held system that isn't a 3DSXL or a Switch, the PSP is an ergonomic nightmare for me so playing on native hardware is not fun. I have two ways of playing GB/GBC/GBA games on televisions (I wish that I had that option for DS) and I almost bought the PSP kit that connects to an HDMI port, but I realised that I would still have to control the game on the PSP and gave up on the idea. PPSSPP is great regardless, and it's easier to mod/cheat on emulators anyway.

To summarise, this game needs to be ported to Switch if not remade. It won't be, because it doesn't have the marketability of Final Fantasy Tactics which hasn't been remade or ported in ages. I like Tactics and would like to see that 'modernised' myself.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

JustJeff88 posted:

That's genuinely impressive (I never owned a Vita). I have long, fat hands big enough to palm a basketball and, like basically every hand-held system that isn't a 3DSXL or a Switch, the PSP is an ergonomic nightmare for me so playing on native hardware is not fun. I have two ways of playing GB/GBC/GBA games on televisions (I wish that I had that option for DS) and I almost bought the PSP kit that connects to an HDMI port, but I realised that I would still have to control the game on the PSP and gave up on the idea. PPSSPP is great regardless, and it's easier to mod/cheat on emulators anyway.

To summarise, this game needs to be ported to Switch if not remade. It won't be, because it doesn't have the marketability of Final Fantasy Tactics which hasn't been remade or ported in ages. I like Tactics and would like to see that 'modernised' myself.

Portable console form factor can be made somewhat more accessible for bigger hands, using accessories like grip cases or extended battery cases, to make them more controller-shaped. Still not totally ideal since you're dealing with holding the entire hardware complete with display+power source in your hands (like a smartphone) and if you have a mishap there's definitely a greater risk of damage something critical (like a smartphone!)

There's another plugin that can be installed on my Vita CFW to allow it to masquerade as a PS TV, which does nothing except allow me to Bluetooth a PS4 controller to it. Honestly what I really should have picked up back then was a PS TV, but oh well now I can tell others I can stream Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together and do naughty things to it like cheat and/or turn it into One Vision

quote:

Were you or anyone else in this thread interested in Triangle Strategy? I don't have a Switch (yes, even after all these years) and so can't play the demo--any impressions? All I know about the developers is that they are the A-Train people and ported Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre from Super Fami to PS1, and I might have played exactly one of their Gundam games before but maybe not

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Nomyth posted:

Were you or anyone else in this thread interested in Triangle Strategy? I don't have a Switch (yes, even after all these years) and so can't play the demo--any impressions?

I have downloaded the demo but not played it, largely due to my ludicrous backlog of RPGs. There is another, similar type of game on Steam called 'Arcadian Atlas', but I have a feeling that that one will sadly prove to be vapourware. Triangle Strategy will probably come out, or at least I hope it does. I really wish that TS was getting a simultaneous PC release.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nomyth posted:

Were you or anyone else in this thread interested in Triangle Strategy? I don't have a Switch (yes, even after all these years) and so can't play the demo--any impressions? All I know about the developers is that they are the A-Train people and ported Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre from Super Fami to PS1, and I might have played exactly one of their Gundam games before but maybe not

The demo for Triangle Strategy has a definite TO/FFT-inspired feel to it. Can't tell from the demo if it's a linear progressing story like Fire Emblem or Shining Force, or if you can wander and check prior area for secrets and random encounters like TO/FFT. I'm hoping it's the latter.

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

Catching up on the thread also gave me the itch to play again, so I went through the process of putting CFW on my Vita to play with the crafting cheats, and it has been worth every second of that time. I can't imagine going back to hours of making ingots and savescumming crafting RNG.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What’s up CFW Vita buddy!

And as the materials for crafting get more tedious to put together I’ve started liking the cheats more and more. Better to spend that time grinding up xp for new classes

Just got back to the middle of Chapter 3L. I forgot how specific the second condition for recruiting Ravness was, almost as if Denam has to be the one this time to hear a rumor and tip off the Warren Report this time

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

Nomyth posted:

What’s up CFW Vita buddy!

And as the materials for crafting get more tedious to put together I’ve started liking the cheats more and more. Better to spend that time grinding up xp for new classes

Just got back to the middle of Chapter 3L. I forgot how specific the second condition for recruiting Ravness was, almost as if Denam has to be the one this time to hear a rumor and tip off the Warren Report this time

I've played through chapters 1-4 probably five times, and I still have to check to make sure I haven't missed a step to recruit her.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Same but for Azelstan. He's probably one of my favoritez because of how well they did his story, but holy hell if you don't obsessively check the warren report in chapter 4 and do everything *just* right you'll miss him.

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

The game is probably in my top 10 all time, but it doesn't always make itself easy to love.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The remake has always been a mystery to me. The quality is absurdly high, from a time period where Square-Enix ports/remakes were trash fires. Localization, art, music are all top tier. There's new features, characters, and an absurd amount of content in it, even if it's byzantine to access.

But why? Obviously someone with clout had love for the original, but it just seems like some sort of dream project that somehow made the light of day. I'm glad it did, but it's still surprising.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The remake has always been a mystery to me. The quality is absurdly high, from a time period where Square-Enix ports/remakes were trash fires. Localization, art, music are all top tier. There's new features, characters, and an absurd amount of content in it, even if it's byzantine to access.

I mean, I think it's older than that. All of their PSP remakes are all pretty top notch (FFT, FF1, FF2, FF4) and certainly high effort. Definitely an upswing period between FFVIa (meh) and the Steam versions

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ace Transmuter posted:

I mean, I think it's older than that. All of their PSP remakes are all pretty top notch (FFT, FF1, FF2, FF4) and certainly high effort. Definitely an upswing period between FFVIa (meh) and the Steam versions

This is a good point. FF1 suffered from being much too easy, but it was technically perfect and they added even more content on top of the GBA Dawn of Souls iteration. FF2 similarly; it's much better than the original. FF4 is the definitive edition of the game. The only one I would take issue with is FFT, and then only partially. The new translation and voice acting were top-hole, but the slowdown was unforgivable and the multiplayer was pointless and locked the single-player audience out of content for no reason.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

But why? Obviously someone with clout had love for the original, but it just seems like some sort of dream project that somehow made the light of day. I'm glad it did, but it's still surprising.

The base game was probably just a labor of love. It has the feeling of well this series is a dead man walking, let's pour as much love into it as we can.

The post game is a different story. It very much feels like the show that gets renewed for a surprise 5 and 6th season and the writers know they have a blank check to just go after their wildest dreams.

It's very easy to forget that everything in the CODA was DLC in Japan. When you hit CODA Chapter 1 for the first time, the thought process is that you'd have devoured most, if not all, of the in game content at that time. Your levels, stats, and equipment would reflect someone who had played through at least 2 of the paths.

It's part of the reason why I am more lenient in the CODA than others. As far as bang for your buck DLC, this game is up there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JustJeff88 posted:

This is a good point. FF1 suffered from being much too easy, but it was technically perfect and they added even more content on top of the GBA Dawn of Souls iteration. FF2 similarly; it's much better than the original. FF4 is the definitive edition of the game. The only one I would take issue with is FFT, and then only partially. The new translation and voice acting were top-hole, but the slowdown was unforgivable and the multiplayer was pointless and locked the single-player audience out of content for no reason.

FFT:WotL's translation sounds like a bunch of theater majors translated it and while they fixed a lot of issues they also got rid of lines that were far better in the original than the generic and bland Shakespeare-wannabe WotL translation.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
“Blame yourself or god” was the only line that hit the cutting room floor that was worth while.

“tis your birth and faith that wrong you” still slaps

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
"The gods have no eyes for chattel" was another good one. I'm super into the wotl translation, although I think they do push it a little too far sometimes, and I thought the animated scenes were really well done. Didn't really care for the Luso or Balthier additions.

Losing the casting phrases was a shame though. And the game is nigh unplayable if you don't patch it so animations actually work.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The PSP translation is technically better, but in a situation between active vs passive voice, it more often than not seems to choose the latter. As a result, while it's usually more readable, lots of times it sacrifices some of the direct effect and punch the OG translation had. Like Wiegraf's speech about the pebble and the wave with Golagros right before the windmill fight where it seems like he has a weird religious martyr complex in the PSP version as opposed to the original where he sounds extremely desperate and angry but willing to do what needs to be done, or the way he practically breaks down in the fight at Orbonne after Ramza chastises him for selling his soul to the church, the PSOne translation was superior. And stuff like Ramza literally saying "Delita! We must away!" in the end of chapter 1 cutscene or Velius's line after his transformation in that Riovanes showdown saying, "I am come," just looks painfully anachronistic as well as unintentionally funny. And that's not getting into how everyone sounds aristocratic, even commoners like Delita and Wiegraf.

Some stuff is better in the PSP version. In the first stage of the chapter four fight at at Orbonne, Rofel says, "I'm going after Vormav!" which led me to think at the time there was some dissent in their ranks, but the line, "I go to Lord Folmarv," definitely gets the tone down pat. The exchange where Barinten taunts Rafa about him raping her is far more verbose and downright nasty in the new translation and makes it clear what the rear end in a top hat was getting at than his rather vague remarks in the original. Order of the <insert name here> Sky as opposed to the untranslated Japanese in the original was absolutely an improvement, but again, active voice versus passive voice. There was a fan translation posted on GameFAQs right before the PSP re-release which attempted to correct the faulty first translation and as a result, retained much of that version's floweriness but renamed the different knightly orders with the Hokuten as Knights Aquilor and the Nanten as the Knights Auster. A little bit of an obscure reference to be sure, but definitely far more eloquent without seeming too highfalutin.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 5, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Naramyth posted:

“Blame yourself or god” was the only line that hit the cutting room floor that was worth while.

“tis your birth and faith that wrong you” still slaps

Animals have go God was also better than the translation.

The original translation needed work, but WotL just sounds tortured.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

The next update requires some photoshop work and a few gifs, but i'm actively working on it. Hope to have something for you by end of week.

"Deadlines spur action." - Andrew Brandt

Edit: Aaaand I'm down a conspiracy theory pigeon hole regarding lore so expect some new custom made items and maps.

Edit #2: I might actually need to take a few days off work to hide from my family and responsibilities to actually finish this thing out. It completely baffles me that I can end up finding new bits of lore even now.

waah fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 12, 2021

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

World Episode 27 – Boats Against the Current

Where Are We?

We’ve just finished up with beating a super boss – Blackmoor who drops the Fire Crest. We also finished the new optional post game dungeon San Bronsa. Time to wrap this up folks. This is the ending of CODA #4, and by default the ending of the game. We made it. We’re finally here guys and gals!

Let’s get this train rolling!

It’s been :squints: a few weeks, yeah, we’re going to go with weeks :eyeroll: since the last update that involved the plot. So if you go back to the emotional ending of Episode 20 – No I Just Have Something In Both Eyes, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813071&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=46#post501071889, where Don Quite meets up with the doppelgänger version of his dad, this is where we’re picking up the story again.

The Ogre Battle series really leans into the Hero’s journey trope hard. You can’t go home again, once you’ve seen such much. The hero has to go off on search of something, anything really because there’s nothing left for him at home. In some games it feels forced, but I think it’s doubly fitting in this series that deals with trauma inflicted by prolonged war. It’s not uncommon for soldiers to return home and fail to adapt to the world they once knew.

Don Quixote can speak this wisdom that leaving is really only for Catiua’s benefit, but it’s just as much to benefit Don Quixote.

This line is :swoon:

Are you picking up what’s being put down here? This is framing what would be a future installment of the saga. From everything we’ve seen with the scenario planning in the CODA, the overarching conflict and character arcs, the language used here by Denam is very deliberate. A future game would have Denam learn more about the Chaos Gates, possibly Rashidi and Albeleo’s plans (remember Rudlum is the reincarnation of a boss you beat in March of the Black Queen), and return to deal with this looming threat.

You can also look at this growth for Catiua for when you see someone complaining about how needy she is. Yes, on the surface this is a clingy statement, but when you look at it via her calling out Don Quixote for his lie about needing to leave for her, and then reading this statement, this is the statement of someone who has had some incredible emotional growth over the last couple years.

I uhhh….

Nope, you need the gif of this one. It’s so well done.

I’m still not sure how I feel about a possible Catiua and Vyce romance after all of these years. I don’t hate it, but I do feel like it’s one of the few cases where the game just pulls a story thread out of nowhere. I can do some twists and justifications about how conflict brings people together and how it’s really a sign that the reason why Vyce was always your opposite was because he wished Catiua was close to him, but it’d feel unauthentic. But if it makes those few fans who wanted to ship Vyce and Catiua happy, then good for them. Glad you Vyce x Catiua fans got yourself something you can be excited about.

There are some serious phrasing issues and double entendres here I think involving hands, cups, and parental expectations, that a better goon than I would go to town with. I’m just going to instead marvel at how this scene goes from being perfectly normal to Goon level awkward in record time. There’s some serious talent here by the dialogue and localization staff to nail that awkward moment when two friends realize they have feelings for each other in front of a third wheel.

I have to make a gif for this bro fist for y’all.

Yep, amazing.

Exit scene right, our heroes knowing this is likely the last moment they all share together for a very long time. You can’t go home again.

HOOOOOLY poo poo DON QUIXOTE OFF THE TOP EFFIN ROPE!! Not gonna lie, I laugh every single time I see this part of the scene.

The advantage of this game being eleventy billion hours long is that now you can have these scenes where the main characters have their moments filled with emotion. If you’ve stuck with the game this long, and played for the equivalent of almost 2 full weeks of your life, then you want to see these little moments where your digital family has bonding moments.

There we go, that was the final time count for everything. I think I picked up the post-game part of the LP back when my save file was at about 620 or so, so we’re looking at roughly 120 hours of content for what I covered in the post-game. It’s probably closer to about 80 but remember we also let the AI loose on every single battle recorded on this thing, *AND* all of our characters were in the low 40s for when this started. I’m showing you this, because the game gives you the option to save before the end credits for the CODA begins. I’m not sure why, as far as I can tell, there are no branching endings for the CODA or special dialogues turns out this is the only way to actually view the ending again without having to beat CODA 4 again.
I’m going to mostly be quiet for the ending before I come back to touch on some interesting comments and wording.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canopus gets dunked on in the CODA count: 3

Canopus gets dunked on in the CODA count: 45

It’s like shooting fish in a barrel all of a sudden.

In case you wondered why I even bothered to make the Canopus getting dunked on meme in the first place, this scene is why.

I plan on getting some serious use out of using this as an insult on Twitter.

:swoon:

Keep in mind that “the father” is the deity Father Philaha, who after doing a bit of research for the last couple episodes made me realize he has some real dicks for followers.

If only Canopus could chime in….

Let’s unpack some of those story beats because there is a whole forest of seeds planted in preparation for whatever is planned for the next story in the Ogre Battle Saga. Reminder that all the screenshots after this have already happened and this section consists of me plucking screenshots for ease of discussion. They do not necessarily happen in the order shown.

I’m unsure the time difference between these narration by Iuria, the scene with Don Quixote, Vyce, and Catiua, and the departing scene on the ship. What I can say, is that the order I posted them, is the order that they are presented in game. What I can say is that what Quixote says above is a far cry from a “promise” to visit. Could be translation, could be one localizer not knowing what else was going on in the ending, but DQ says that line to Vyce and Catiua like neither one was there by the ship when these goodbyes were happening. Add that to the intrigue by what Iuria says about being half way across the Oberro sea. The Oberro sea is mentioned in OB64 and Knight of Lodis in flavor texts for armors and weapons. Interestingly enough, and something I didn’t find out until I loaded up all the games again instead of using the crappy wikis for research is that the setting of Let Us Cling Together is located in the middle of the Oberro sea. It mentions the Oberro sea in the in-game cinematic that plays when you let the title screen sit. Of course, this gives me no definite location of which direction the Xytengian mainland are located in relation to the Valerian islands or even the island of Ovis (the location of Knight of Lodis).

You guys were dead on about all of your comments and time travel. Iuria is saying that our heroes need to face whatever danger awaits. Time of the essence, and that the future can still be re-written. It also explains why Iuria was so sympathetic to a creature who for all intents and purposes wanted to steal Iuria’s body and soul.

Your reminder that Deneb is also a Wicce, and that Wicce in the Ogre Battle Saga hop bodies to survive and retain their youthful appearance. It’s also clear that Deneb knows more than she’s letting on as she commonly does. (But we love her anyways!!!!)

If the writers had mentioned wars involving mermaids here, I would have lost my poo poo. The implication here is that Iuria has seen wars involving the Ogres throughout time. But to mention mermaids would have made tied all of this together with MotB, KoL, and OB64 even more.

I don’t have the slightest clue about what’s going on here with Klaire, but if the Lanselots are meant to be two sides of the same coin, then there is a terrible sacrifice in her future or she will be pivotal in helping redeem Tartaros.

Yep, there’s something major planned for her.

Well, that’s it for this update. It’s been a fun ride. We wrap this up next update so you know it’s been a great ride

:goonsay: Waah! You forgot one thing
: No, I didn’t, hush! We’re done here!
:goonsay: But you’ll never forgive yourself for not doing this all to completion! You need to exhaust all options!!1!
: No! You’re wrong! YOU DON’T KNOW ME!
:goonsay: So, you’re going to let the super-secret battle where you fight Lans and all the Dark Knights with only Don Quixote, Vyce, and Catiua not make it into this LP after you played through the Palace of the Dead multiple times, and replayed the entire CODA again for certain in game screenshots? You know you have to righ- why are you sobbing?
: You’re right. I have to. I can’t let it end without the chance to talk about how awesome Knight of Lodis is again.

And this exchange totally isn’t because I just realized I never actually got screenshots for this battle. Nope. So – next update! We knock out our final house keeping items before the FINAL UPDATE.

It’s been a helluva ride, I’m keeping my promise, we FINISH this thing, no matter what.

waah fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 12, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm not going to lie; I literally had goose flesh when Vyce and Don bro pounded it. That clearly wasn't a handshake, it was a brofist.

Also, in regards to the timestamp on the save file, I am going to steal a line from Chris Rock... Good Lord that's a lot of playtime!

Thirdly, that ending though. There are only three games all time where I really was invested in the story and remain to this day. I'm not being snarky; I play games for adventure and challenge but I prefer books for stories. Those three games are FFT, Planescape: Torment and Let Us Cling Together. The end bit really brought it home for me.

Fourthly, waah, I think some typos:

It’s been :squints: a few weeks, yeah, we’re going to go with weeks :eyeroll: since the last update that involved the plot. (I wasn't sure if any of these were supposed to be emoticons)

You can’t go home again, once you’ve seen such much (Not sure what you were going for here)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm short on time but I'd like to say that Vyce's feelings for Catuia are - at least to me - extremely obvious from the start of the game, they're just not reciprocated in the slightest due to her obvious hangups on Denam.

Will try to talk more about it later

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

tithin posted:

I'm short on time but I'd like to say that Vyce's feelings for Catuia are - at least to me - extremely obvious from the start of the game, they're just not reciprocated in the slightest due to her obvious hangups on Denam.

There are some scenes that seem like very clear cases of Vyce lashing out because he's frustrated that Catiua is ignoring him and focused heavily/entirely on Denam.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm not going to lie; I literally had goose flesh when Vyce and Don bro pounded it. That clearly wasn't a handshake, it was a brofist.

Also, in regards to the timestamp on the save file, I am going to steal a line from Chris Rock... Good Lord that's a lot of playtime!

Thirdly, that ending though. There are only three games all time where I really was invested in the story and remain to this day. I'm not being snarky; I play games for adventure and challenge but I prefer books for stories. Those three games are FFT, Planescape: Torment and Let Us Cling Together. The end bit really brought it home for me.

Fourthly, waah, I think some typos:

It’s been :squints: a few weeks, yeah, we’re going to go with weeks :eyeroll: since the last update that involved the plot. (I wasn't sure if any of these were supposed to be emoticons)

You can’t go home again, once you’ve seen such much (Not sure what you were going for here)

The second one yes. The first ehhhh I type like that sometimes. I should either find the right emoticons or redo it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://twitter.com/thatlittledemon/status/1430423867093364737?s=21

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Finally caught up with the thread... waah you are amazing. Thanks for sticking with it. I haven't played this game in a long time but I still love it all the same. That dialogue is so good! I wish there was more OB-universe content out there...

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

In case you ever wanted to hear the differences between the PotD in SFC vs PSP remake, this is your chance.

Coffee Potato did an amazing job comparing and contrasting.

https://youtu.be/yCNgOyeLJRg

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

What a lovely ending.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

End of thread surprise #2 is in the books. Time to hold up my end of the bargain and finish this last battle update.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

waah posted:

End of thread surprise #2 is in the books. Time to hold up my end of the bargain and finish this last battle update.

I personally am looking forward to this ending just so I can re-read the lot on the archives.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I started working on this final battle of the LP and spoiler -

So it turns out this fight is a lot harder than I remember, even with OP characters. I didn't' take it seriously enough, so I will need to find time to tackle it properly without distractions. That didn't stop me from deciding to go ahead and writing the final actual update to the thread.

So we're spitting distance. I'm wrapping this thing up in the next 2 or 3 weeks, so get ready.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the ride my goons and goonettes.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Respect.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm a broken record here, but I am looking forward to reading this again in its entirety on the archives. If you don't send it here I swear that I will... silently seethe with resentment.

This game is very high on my list of games that badly need a (re)remake for more contemporary systems. No visual improvements needed, just balance stuff.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Good God, it's been 5 years but we're bringing the thread home.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm a broken record here, but I am looking forward to reading this again in its entirety on the archives. If you don't send it here I swear that I will... silently seethe with resentment.

This game is very high on my list of games that badly need a (re)remake for more contemporary systems. No visual improvements needed, just balance stuff.

The thread will be on the archives my friend, my intention is to go through the entries when it's done and to clear up any crappy spelling errors etc.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Good God, it's been 5 years but we're bringing the thread home.

I thought you were joking but no, this thread started in 2017. What a ride, holy poo poo.

I can't wait to reread it all from the beginning in its entirety.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

waah posted:

I started working on this final battle of the LP and spoiler -

So it turns out this fight is a lot harder than I remember, even with OP characters. I didn't' take it seriously enough, so I will need to find time to tackle it properly without distractions. That didn't stop me from deciding to go ahead and writing the final actual update to the thread.

So we're spitting distance. I'm wrapping this thing up in the next 2 or 3 weeks, so get ready.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the ride my goons and goonettes.

:worship:

Keep it up waah, you crazy bastard.

I can't re-read this thread for fear of starting yet another save from scratch. :smithicide:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

waah posted:

It mentions the Oberro sea in the in-game cinematic that plays when you let the title screen sit. Of course, this gives me no definite location of which direction the Xytengian mainland are located in relation to the Valerian islands or even the island of Ovis (the location of Knight of Lodis).

I'm pretty sure the Kingdom of New Xenobia lies across the sea to the east of the Valerian Isles, and by inferring the relative positions of where various games in the series take place, Ovis most likely lies to the north or north-west of Valeria, on the opposite end of the continent of Galicia. The world map from may look a little something like this (not my work):

Also IIRC at the start of Knight of Lodis, the Duchy of Felis, which shares a naval border with the island of Ovis, is a client or tributary state of Lodis, rather than being directly controlled by Lodis itself, and at some point after the game the Duke of Felis has his titles revoked and the duchy is annexed into Lodis proper.

Edit: Oh yeah, and waah wasn't sure how long a 'scale' is, when Canopus said Warren had been gone a whole scale, well, turns out your answer is buried in the Warren Report!

A scale is one Xytegenian month, approximately 25 days. The rest of the entry maps the Xytenenian months to the solar calendar:
  • Godscale: January 1 - 24
  • Earthscale: January 25 - February 18
  • Waterscale: February 19 - March 13
  • Shadowscale: March 14 - April 6
  • Whitescale: April 7 - May 1
  • Flamescale: May 2 - May 25
  • Windscale: May 26 - June 18
  • Goldscale: June 19 - July 13
  • Stormscale: July 14 - August 6
  • Darkscale: August 7 - August 30
  • Seascale: August 31 - September 24
  • Blackscale: September 25 - October 18
  • Twinscale: October 19 - November 11
  • Firescale: November 12 - December 6
  • Lightscale: December 7 - December 31

The default name for your army is the Xytegenian month for the date of birth you entered at the very start of the game.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The Castrato Sea seems like the sort of place that has an interesting mythological origin for its name, like the Aegean Sea.