Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

We call these nope.

In reference to the ground track over Florida...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

MrYenko posted:

We call these nope.

In reference to the ground track over Florida...

The radar doesn't look like its live based on that flight but I was here for that weather and it was nasty.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AWSEFT posted:

The radar doesn't look like its live based on that flight but I was here for that weather and it was nasty.

It's not, and ya, it was pretty ugly.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Did you land in that stuff?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Since a couple of you guys are CFIs, I wanted to run something past everyone. I'm wanting to start PPL training this spring and obviously I want to do it as efficiently and as safely as possible.

I'd like to know if you guys have any opinions or additions to my plan in the run up to starting training.

My intention is over the winter to get my medical, complete an online ground school (mzeroa or other) and pass my written before ever stepping foot in an FBO. I've also done a tour on PilotEdge and will probably resubscribe to make sure I'm as practiced as possible on the radio. School primarily uses a Warrior II so I plan to pick up a POH, check lists, etc. and practice either in the sim or in front of a picture of the cockpit.

With those complete I'd start training and schedule at least 2 sessions a week.

Actually I will step into an FBO because I also plan to pick a CFI and discuss all this with them prior obviously.

Seems pretty simple, but my hope is that it will cut down on time in the air for training. I'm assuming the CFI will at least be OK if not happy that I'm doing all this leg work ahead of time.

simble
May 11, 2004

The first thing that comes to mind is that you need an endorsement from a CFI before taking the knowledge test.

You can study up, do some practice tests, start your training, then take the test.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It's gonna be a lot easier to pass the knowledge test if you've been applying the principles for real for a while, and you'll probably learn more too than if you're just trying to memorize stuff by rote.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Prefect Six posted:

Since a couple of you guys are CFIs, I wanted to run something past everyone. I'm wanting to start PPL training this spring and obviously I want to do it as efficiently and as safely as possible.

I'd like to know if you guys have any opinions or additions to my plan in the run up to starting training.

My intention is over the winter to get my medical, complete an online ground school (mzeroa or other) and pass my written before ever stepping foot in an FBO. I've also done a tour on PilotEdge and will probably resubscribe to make sure I'm as practiced as possible on the radio. School primarily uses a Warrior II so I plan to pick up a POH, check lists, etc. and practice either in the sim or in front of a picture of the cockpit.

Actually I will step into an FBO because I also plan to pick a CFI and discuss all this with them prior obviously.

Seems pretty simple, but my hope is that it will cut down on time in the air for training. I'm assuming the CFI will at least be OK if not happy that I'm doing all this leg work ahead of time.

The fact that you seem willing to actually put in the work is very promising, and I absolutely recommend getting your medical and ground school done before you start flying. That being said, there are some parts of your plan that don't seem 100% realistic.

I don't know what it's like in the US, but here you can't do your written exam until you have 10 hours of flight time, and to be 100% honest, trying to do your written ahead of time is going to be very difficult because there's stuff you will learn, and stuff that will make a lot more sense, after you actually have some time in the cockpit. This applies at every level, too -- I've seen lots of people attempt and fail the written exam for an instrument rating because they try to do it without any actual experience.

I wouldn't bother getting too used to a simulator before you fly the real thing because, while sims can be good for practicing procedures and doing stuff that would be unsafe to do in the real airplane, it's not a very close substitute for the real thing. It doesn't feel the same, it doesn't simulate all the manoeuvres you will do during PPL training, and every aircraft will be equipped and fly slightly different in practice anyway. Especially if you don't have experience in the airplane, you can also build bad habits in the sim.

If you do anything to practice radio, make sure it's specific to your airport and focused on VFR flight. Use liveatc if it's available in your area and/or buy a handheld aviation radio and listen to local frequencies.

The best thing you can do to cut down the amount of time it takes in the plane to get your license is to make sure you're prepared, and fly as often as possible. Two times per week isn't very much, especially if weather or maintenance issues occur (and they will).

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Most online ground schools will give you an endorsement if you pass their mock tests, so that was my plan there, but sounds like I might want to rethink that. I had a buddy who got to the point he could solo but kept having stuff put off taking his written, so that was my impetus.

The simulator is for practicing flow checks, check lists, procedures and radio calls. I'm very aware that the "handling" is not useful.

I'm also the receiver site for liveatc's feed of my local towered airport :goonsay:, so I try to listen to it often.

I'll think about scheduling 3-4 times per week. I have small kids at home so that might be pushing the envelope.

Thanks for the input!

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 10, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Prefect Six posted:

Honestly motivation and attitude is most of it and from the sounds of this post you’ve got that in spades.

2 flights a week minimum, more if you can swing it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Honestly motivation and attitude is most of it and from the sounds of this post you’ve got that in spades.

My thoughts exactly! I wish all my students would be so motivated and have such a pleasant attitude.

Let's discuss a few things that are worth remembering for any student (not that I'm suggesting anyone here would go against any of these things):

Be pleasant to your instructor, yes, but also be pleasant to their co-workers including dispatchers, rampies, maintenance and everyone else around the hangar that makes poo poo work. If you call them stupid, lazy and unprofessional, we know you're full of poo poo, because we're the ones who see them going home late, helping out in a jam, making sure our planes actually work properly and safely, bringing in home-cooked meals to share, etc. etc. This goes double if you're planning to get your CPL and work as a pilot. If you think the sun shines out your rear end because you're a pilot and the little people are there just to make it shine all the brighter, this is not a career for you and you should quit now.

If you say poo poo like "oh, I don't fly C-GXYZ" or whatever, you will be treated like a prima donna and we will complain about your attitude behind your back. Yeah, we all have planes we like and don't like, but in the absence of anything actually wrong with the airplane, get over yourself and go flying.

Realize that we are all pulling in the same direction. We want students to succeed, and at least for Canadian instructors, our pay rises and advancement depend on successful flight test recommends, so you better believe there's nothing I would love more than to send you for your flight test as soon as I think you're able. I have less than no interest in doing the same thing with you over and over again if you don't need the practice. We have 200 students waiting for instructors right now, if you think I'm delaying you because I want the princely sum of $21/hour out of your wallet specifically, you are unreasonably paranoid.

That being said: chances are you are not god's gift to flying, and that's okay! None of us are; all of us had trouble with some stuff, needed to practice hard and put in a lot of work, and did some dumb poo poo from time to time, and had our bad days. That's why we have you fly with an instructor instead of tossing you the keys and having you figure out everything on your own. No good instructor will get frustrated with a student who is making an effort but not progressing as fast as we might like -- if anything, we'll get frustrated with ourselves for not having an effective teaching method to help you improve. It's very rewarding to watch a student learn, and then master a skill, even if it's just a little thing like holding the nosewheel up properly in the landing flare. If it takes half an hour or if it takes three hours, I will not judge you either way. What will piss us off is if you're not making progress because you aren't making an effort, and likewise you, as a student, have the right to be pissed off if you feel your instructor is not making an effort to help you progress.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I took this job because I like flying, and I want other people to like flying too! Training may not always be easy, but on the whole it should be fun -- you won't learn if you're having a miserable time. Have fun and be safe!

EDIT: And, finally, this is perhaps aimed more at the enthusiastic and motivated pilots: don't get discouraged after a "bad flight." I guarantee you that day will come at some point in your training, or indeed in the rest of your life as a pilot. It doesn't mean you're hopeless, it doesn't mean you're bad, it doesn't mean you're getting worse. We all have off days, and the reason we aim for constant improvement and as close to perfection as we can is so that, when one of the bad days happens and we just can't seem to do poo poo right, we at least do it right enough to make it home safe.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 11, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

That being said: chances are you are not god's gift to flying, and that's okay! None of us are

Speak for yourself :colbert:

e:
it took me three tries to pass my MEI check ride :negative:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 11, 2018

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

PT6A posted:

That being said: chances are you are not god's gift to flying, and that's okay!

I am gods gift to flying. Keep in mind god has also given us syphilis, the FAR 117 reserve rules, and Nickelback.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

I am gods gift to flying. Keep in mind god has also given us syphilis, the FAR 117 reserve rules, and Nickelback.

Hmmm... maybe my troublesome know-it-all student is in fact God's gift to flying, and I am Job in this scenario.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Apparently an employee (not a pilot) stole a Horizon Q400, which just crashed near Seattle, although there's a possibility it was shot down by F-15's scrambled from PDX.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Or he just committed suicide.

https://twitter.com/jwsthomson/status/1028134044502908929

Well, maybe?

https://twitter.com/jwsthomson/status/1028137142524891136

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 11, 2018

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Yep. There's now reports that it simply crashed, and the confusion was due to the close proximity of the scrambled F-15's.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Very close proximity

https://twitter.com/drbmbdgty/status/1028130383911501824

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Bless his heart. Hearing him on the radio really contextualizes the humanity...

Hope his last loop de loo towards freedom and subsequent crash didn't harm person or property.

Godspeed..........................

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 11, 2018

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I believe it went down on a very sparsely populated island in the San Juans, and there's no reports of any injuries on the ground.

Now I'm wondering how much longer I'll have a job, since Horizon was already the unloved stepchild of Alaska, and this could be the excuse to shut us down and outsource all the flying to non- union regionals.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

azflyboy posted:

I believe it went down on a very sparsely populated island in the San Juans, and there's no reports of any injuries on the ground.

Now I'm wondering how much longer I'll have a job, since Horizon was already the unloved stepchild of Alaska, and this could be the excuse to shut us down and outsource all the flying to non- union regionals.

Okay but now you know it can loop de loo?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
God those recordings are heartbreaking, poor guy just needed help. :(

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

azflyboy posted:

Or maybe they will realize how abused and beaten down employees are there and try to improve things. Could go either way.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
One of the radio transmissions mentioned something about the minimum wage, and Alaska has actually gone to court (and lost) to try and argue that neither the Port of Seattle nor the city of Seatac have the authority to raise the minimum wage at the airport.

Turnover for ramp workers in SEA (at least at Horizon) tends to be absurdly high because of how badly they're typically treated by management, so I'd like to think this would lead to some soul-searching by some Alaska executives, but that's probably not going to happen.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Two Kings posted:

Or maybe they will realize how abused and beaten down employees are there and try to improve things. Could go either way.

This is America I would say it’ll only go one of those ways.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Could this be the first time a Q400 went inverted?

https://twitter.com/cameronthomsen/status/1028157648158568448?s=21

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

azflyboy posted:

One of the radio transmissions mentioned something about the minimum wage, and Alaska has actually gone to court (and lost) to try and argue that neither the Port of Seattle nor the city of Seatac have the authority to raise the minimum wage at the airport.

Turnover for ramp workers in SEA (at least at Horizon) tends to be absurdly high because of how badly they're typically treated by management, so I'd like to think this would lead to some soul-searching by some Alaska executives, but that's probably not going to happen.

This reminds me of a scene in Mad Men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlOSdRMSG_k

The Alaska execs are probably like Don here. Though, public outrage might hurt their bottom line, and they think a hell of a lot about that.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Crossposted from AI, meaningful details I got from the press conference

- dude was a Ground Service Agent, employed by Horizon since Feb 2015

- did not have a pilot license

- had full security credentials to be where the plane was, no security violations were committed

- still to be confirmed that he was the only one on board

- the plane was at "Cargo 1" at the north part of the airport, no more flying duties for the rest of the day

- AC was parked Nose East at Cargo 1, dude pushed the plane back himself with a tug

- he did not get ramp/ground/tower clearances

- did communicate on ground frequency, and all communications were on ground frequency

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Ocrassus posted:

Pilots are explicitly trained as ‘aircraft managers’ now. Your purpose is to monitor systems and function as redundancy. The pilot is the ‘component’ most likely to fail on any aircraft, but is also the most flexible and adaptable.

Pulling a loop is easy, literally everybody does it in flight school atleast once. What’s difficult is crabbing in a high crosswind with low visibility and a glass cockpit failure.

From the GBS thread about the plane theft. Did I miss the part of flight school where I was meant to do loops? Is that something atp pilots do?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The whole thing is a shame but I'm also marveling at his control of the plane. When I saw the video on CBS this morning (I didn't even know it had happened until my old CFII DMed me the ATC audio), I was fully expecting him to bin it in the lake and he didn't.

Nuggan posted:

From the GBS thread about the plane theft. Did I miss the part of flight school where I was meant to do loops? Is that something atp pilots do?

I want to go troll them that they took intentional spins ("loops") out of Private training because they realized most spins were happening at an altitude at which recovery would be impossible*.

*This is what I heard once, anyway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

The whole thing is a shame but I'm also marveling at his control of the plane. When I saw the video on CBS this morning (I didn't even know it had happened until my old CFII DMed me the ATC audio), I was fully expecting him to bin it in the lake and he didn't.

I want to go troll them that they took intentional spins ("loops") out of Private training because they realized most spins were happening at an altitude at which recovery would be impossible*.

While that's not wrong, they're still part of the PPL syllabus in Canada, although they aren't a flight test item until the CPL level. It's less about dealing with a spin in normal flight, which would most likely be unrecoverable in 99% of the situations where they're likely to occur -- near landing, since you're turning at low airspeed -- and more about recognizing the circumstances that lead to a spin, and teaching recovery if you accidentally enter a spin while practicing stall recovery.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

CBJSprague24 posted:

PT6A posted:

While that's not wrong, they're still part of the PPL syllabus in Canada, although they aren't a flight test item until the CPL level. It's less about dealing with a spin in normal flight, which would most likely be unrecoverable in 99% of the situations where they're likely to occur -- near landing, since you're turning at low airspeed -- and more about recognizing the circumstances that lead to a spin, and teaching recovery if you accidentally enter a spin while practicing stall recovery.

As a dual citizen training in the USA, I also brought this difference up with my instructor, and he said that the FAA had run the numbers and determined that requiring students to perform spins in training was leading to more accidents/deaths than were occurring from actual inadvertent spins among licensed pilots. I could believe that's true.

The PPL ACS still requires that you be able to identify the phases of a spin and proper recovery procedures as part of the knowledge test, though.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The FAA dropped spins from the practical tests (back in 1949) when they realized that A: most spins that occurred in the real world were happening at low altitudes that were unrecoverable, and B: pilots were being killed doing spin training. Since then, the emphasis has been on teaching students how to avoid getting into a spin in the first place, and since the percentage of accidents caused by stall/spin have been on a steady decrease since the 1950's, that concept appears to work.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Q400 can handle a loving loop? Pretty pro move on your first flight in the thing

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bob A Feet posted:

Q400 can handle a loving loop? Pretty pro move on your first flight in the thing

Doesn't seem suprising to me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Everyone keeps describing what he did as a loop, but as near as I can tell from the footage, he did a lazy roll that was too sloppy to describe as a specific maneuver (though he keeps saying barrel roll on the radio because every roll is a barrel roll).

Did he do a loop at some other point in the flight?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Everyone keeps describing what he did as a loop, but as near as I can tell from the footage, he did a lazy roll that was too sloppy to describe as a specific maneuver (though he keeps saying barrel roll on the radio because every roll is a barrel roll).

Did he do a loop at some other point in the flight?

There is some ground footage that shows him doing a loop in which he was very close to hitting the water.

I’m glad he crashed in an isolated area and did not harm anyone else or make some poor F-15 pilot have to live with shooting him down.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
You're talking about the same maneuver. It started off as a barrel roll, finished as a loop. It's a quarter clover if you really felt compelled to put a name to it. Bottom line is that the pullout was wings level with no rolling component (i.e. a loop, or segment thereof), at probably 3-5 G's.

People are saying "loop" and "barrel roll" as generic for "aerobatic maneuver," like "747" for "airliner" or "Learjet" for "business jet."

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Commercial planes have keys I'm assuming? But I'm also assuming they are usually in the plane or in a hangar somewhere? It would be kind of badass if the pilot only had the key and nobody could actually throttle up until they showed up but I'm guessing that's not really practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Nope. No keys