Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Kingfish posted:

So I might as well just loving throw this codex in the trash? By "errata" do you mean the $35 dollar chapter approved book?

No, in a pdf errata to the codex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Kingfish posted:

Frrriiick.

Commissars and conscripts have been my favorite since like three editions ago and I was stoked on how good they were on the index. At least vanilla LRs look like they are worth fielding again.

Can I still field a wave of mans now that conscripts aren't great and commissars are clearly awful?

Sure, it’ll just suck.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Interesting, I guess partly luck and partly the right weapons used efficiently.

Seconding all sentinel chat, both for the screening use, grabbing objectives and for filling out a Brigade for CP, I consider them an auto take for my IG.

Scout Sentinels are amazing. Take 3 every game! I find that I grab line breaker or whatever secondary or tertiary with them in almost every game. On the flip side, they are an almost guaranteed first blood for your opponent.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
What’s up goons, I’ve been lurking in the thread for a bit since I heard about the new edition and decided to get in on this thing. My wife is getting me the Dark Imperium box for Christmas and based completely on fluff I’ve decided to go for space wolves for my marines. Any advice on where to go from there? I was thinking of getting the Bjorn dreadnaught but apparently people might have a problem with characters? Do these new Primaris guys fit in with space wolves? Any advice is appreciated.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah thats a mean nerf to Commissars. Turn the immunity to Morale in exchange for a death, into a reroll instead. They can still be useful but it's a heavy nerf.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Scout Sentinels are amazing. Take 3 every game! I find that I grab line breaker or whatever secondary or tertiary with them in almost every game. On the flip side, they are an almost guaranteed first blood for your opponent.

Unless you get second turn and the might of the Imperium descends upon a single vehicle.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The aforementioned captain:

Pendent fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 19, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
People getting mad at the Commissar and Conscript changes are :psyduck: to me. Like, do you actively not want your opponent to have fun? Were you actually trying to spend $40 specifically to buff your plastic spacemans? Guard has a shitton of great options and is top tier even without that abusive bullshit.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Strobe posted:

People getting mad at the Commissar and Conscript changes are :psyduck: to me. Like, do you actively not want your opponent to have fun? Were you actually trying to spend $40 specifically to buff your plastic spacemans? Guard has a shitton of great options and is top tier even without that abusive bullshit.

It sucks because they’re an iconic unit for Guard and they have been an actually good choice for like 3 weeks out of the last 10 years.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

Frrriiick.

Commissars and conscripts have been my favorite since like three editions ago and I was stoked on how good they were on the index. At least vanilla LRs look like they are worth fielding again.

Can I still field a wave of mans now that conscripts aren't great and commissars are clearly awful?

My army consists of mostly infantry squads and Leman Russes and I do ok despite being awful at this game.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

panascope posted:

It sucks because they’re an iconic unit for Guard and they have been an actually good choice for like 3 weeks out of the last 10 years.

Yeah, well, I've wanted to use Vypers, Falcons, Howling Banshees, Shining Spears, and Striking Scorpions for 5 editions straight now. I'm finally ready to use Shining Spears though so

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I've been using conscripts for years and they were fun and fluffy as hell. I'd still use them if they were at least decent.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Strobe posted:

Commissars needed a nerf but I would have preferred they didn’t make them actually useless.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Man, I've been out of the warhams for almost a decade. I stopped in the local store to pick up a fantasy mini because I want to paint and walked out with a boner and $50 missing from my wallet.

Apparently they brought back the Ultramarine Primarch and they had it all in a hardcover novel and a few other cool minis.

God drat this loving gently caress. gently caress

Dammit.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I got $20 bucks out of the tourney yesterday and ended up spending $50.

So yeah, I'm right there with you man.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JoshTheStampede posted:

Commissars needed a nerf but I would have preferred they didn’t make them actually useless.

This is a reasonable opinion, and one that I share.

The Kingfish posted:

So I might as well just loving throw this codex in the trash? By "errata" do you mean the $35 dollar chapter approved book?

This is what I'm talking about.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah my bad. I stroked out when I realized my new codex was out of date before I took the plastic wrap off.

I'm guessing that a speed bump of regular infantry squads will do just about as well as conscripts used to if they are spaced right now that LRs are good again.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

Yeah my bad. I stroked out when I realized my new codex was out of date before I took the plastic wrap off.

I'm guessing that a speed bump of regular infantry squads will do just about as well as conscripts used to if they are spaced right now that LRs are good again.

Conscripts are still ok they are just not objectively better than regular squads now.

Im just bummed commisars are terrible now though :(

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

The Kingfish posted:

This is what I do to good effect.

2 squads with autocannons and flamers along with a group of Crusaders with a Priest are the front line. Behind them is three squads with lascannons and plasma guns. Behind them is Heavy Weapons teams and Leman Russes. Sentinels and Hellhounds run the flanks. Mortars with an attached Platoon Leader and a Manticore make it rain from the back.

I'm a casual player and I'm shocked by how good it is.

I still take my Commissar Lord from time to time as the Leadership 9 bubble is nice and its the model with his powerfist in the air while reading a book (presumably on how to use his powerfist) who owns.

Guard are really good right now.

Things I have learned recently. The Cadian doctrine of standing still and getting the Take Aim order really makes Guard squads shine as even the lasgun shots start to add up. A Company Commander with the Laurels of Command along with two Platoon leaders has become the pillar of my army.

Mortars plus the "Take Aim" order are really good. I rolled 11 hits, all 11 hit thanks to rerolling the to-hit rolls, and above average wound rolls lead to 4 dead Deathwatch Vanguards. I really should make another unit. They have been solid every game thus far.

Pask with an Executioner is a monster who feeds on dead marines.

Scout Sentinels are incredibly obnoxious. They spent the entire game chasing Land Raiders and trying to kick them to death while pinging away with Autocannon shots. The Armored Sentinels are another good lineblocker but are only kind of meh. They are painted so they appear in a lot of lists.

Build a Brigade Detachment. The Guard Stratagems are really good and you will want to use a lot of them all the time.

I've only used Crusaders once now but I was pretty happy with them. They come back to life, are reasonably tricky to kill, and have power swords. Nothing fancy but it will be an bad speed bump for melee-centric armies. Also it gives me an excuse to use all these Empire Warrior-Priest models I bought for Inquisition themed armies.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DotyManX posted:

What’s up goons, I’ve been lurking in the thread for a bit since I heard about the new edition and decided to get in on this thing. My wife is getting me the Dark Imperium box for Christmas and based completely on fluff I’ve decided to go for space wolves for my marines. Any advice on where to go from there? I was thinking of getting the Bjorn dreadnaught but apparently people might have a problem with characters? Do these new Primaris guys fit in with space wolves? Any advice is appreciated.

I'm doing up Primaris Wolves now. They fit in okay, but they're at a disadvantage now because they don't have a codex yet and their structure hasn't really translated to the Primaris. Some of the character models are also really showing their age (or straight up don't exist like wolf priests or rune priests), but I've been converting the non-named guys out of Primaris bits instead to keep with the look.

Bjorn is a cool model, but he looks really shrimpy next to Primaris marines and the new Dread.

That said, build what you think looks cool. It makes it a ton easier to keep motivated if the stuff you're making is stuff you think is legit cool.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 19, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Kingfish posted:

Shitloads of LRs supported/screened by infantry (i.e. use the infantry as speedbumps in front of the Russes) is a good build now. It looks cool as hell too.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

bonds0097 posted:

I often run a 3 Wraithlord detachment and they never let me down. A lone Wraithlord sucks but when you have several to put pressure on the enemy in different ways, they can do a lot of damage and then they get into melee and wreck face.

Anti-tank? Not a problem because I also run a hemlock and everything shoots at that despite the fact that I use lightning fast reactions on it every turn, which means it can easily soak a lot of fire.

Or people shoot at my rangers, which is just weird.

Yeah, that matches up with my impression - a lone one probably isn’t great, but a pack of them accompanying other high value targets can be good. Sadly my two still have terrible weapon load out perma-glued.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Had my first experience with green stuff and super glue last night trying to magnetise the arm spots on a Trygon. RIP the skin on my fingers.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Entropy238 posted:

Had my first experience with green stuff and super glue last night trying to magnetise the arm spots on a Trygon. RIP the skin on my fingers.

Nail polish remover, preferably with acetone, will have you feeling like a (admittedly very dry handed) human again.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Zasze posted:

Conscripts are still ok they are just not objectively better than regular squads now.

Im just bummed commisars are terrible now though :(

Yeah, this is pretty much my opinion. I admit maybe conscripts should be 3.5 and infantry should be 4 (or 4.5) but 40k doesn’t do that, and we do need to accept the larger state of the game - in the permissive environment the new army building rules create, 3 pt blocker models in huge squads are just not a good thing for every Imperium army to have access to.

At least there’s hope that commissars can get un-hosed in a future errata. I mean currently it’s so easy for guard to fail morale on say a 2+, or auto-fail, that in any serious situation where your losses will really cost you, the commissar just kills an extra dude, then you may lose more or less models than you would have anyway. 30 pts well spent!

Crazy Ferret posted:

I still take my Commissar Lord from time to time as the Leadership 9 bubble is nice and its the model with his powerfist in the air while reading a book (presumably on how to use his powerfist) who owns.

Your whole set up looks great dude, like the terrain and your army set up is very similar to mine. I like the crusader idea though, when mine are painted i’ll try it. I like that commissar a lot as well:

Unfortunately he dies horribly in every game! I am going to try the new approach of actually taking a regimental standard this afternoon, we’ll see how it goes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Am I crazy for wanting to put an Eldar Guardian on a 32mm base?

I'm crazy for wanting to put an Eldar Guardian on a 32mm base.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Eldar are pussies who don't deserve 32mm bases.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Corrode posted:

Eldar are pussies who don't deserve 32mm bases.

But its toes won't dangle off the edge.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Decided to put my special snowflake Grey Knights on hold and just assemble some Primaris mans so I can get to play in this decade.

I really want some Reivers. Are they useful as a 5 man squad? Do the pistol version actually do things in combat when you can't give them a single power weapon?
I've been thinking about running them with a normal chaplain with a jump pack, is there any problem in that?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Reivers aren't good at combat, but they are competent. They are good at bullying stuff like Devastators and other poo poo little shooting units, or harassing tanks to stop them shooting for a turn. I think what you equip them with is basically a wash, but carbines give more reliable threat at a longer distance.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Harkano posted:

Nail polish remover, preferably with acetone, will have you feeling like a (admittedly very dry handed) human again.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot next time around.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Played my first (proxy) game as Nids, vs Blood Angels.

Good lord Nids are fun. Hive Guard are terrifyingly good, and being able to shoot without LoS feels so weird. Also a Screamer-Killer got ridiculous rolls on the turn he charged a rhino and took it apart in one turn.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

One_Wing posted:

Yeah, that matches up with my impression - a lone one probably isn’t great, but a pack of them accompanying other high value targets can be good. Sadly my two still have terrible weapon load out perma-glued.

I'm Im fully magnetized but run all shuriken 99% of the time. If I'm not in charge range, then I'm advancing. Star Cannons are all right sometimes but the inability to advance blows when the biggest strength of a wraithlord is melee.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to put an Eldar Guardian on a 32mm base?

I'm crazy for wanting to put an Eldar Guardian on a 32mm base.

I think 32mm are fine for all the HQs but running a 20-model squad of guardians in 32mm would alter their footprint quite significantly so I'll stick to 25mm for all the regular Eldar infantry.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Played my first (proxy) game as Nids, vs Blood Angels.

Good lord Nids are fun. Hive Guard are terrifyingly good, and being able to shoot without LoS feels so weird. Also a Screamer-Killer got ridiculous rolls on the turn he charged a rhino and took it apart in one turn.

Living can openers. Screamers are my MVPs alongside my Miasma Cannon Hive Tyrant.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Nids are extremely cool and it's really funny (but not) that GW spent a decade not being able to figure them out then realised "what if all their cool stuff was also really good?" And so the 8th ed book was born.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Corrode posted:

Nids are extremely cool and it's really funny (but not) that GW spent a decade not being able to figure them out then realised "what if all their cool stuff was also really good?" And so the 8th ed book was born.

And it turns out most of their stuff could be made good just by tweaking numbers. Like there's not been a massive amount of actual CHANGES beyond just stat/points.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

bonds0097 posted:

I'm Im fully magnetized but run all shuriken 99% of the time. If I'm not in charge range, then I'm advancing. Star Cannons are all right sometimes but the inability to advance blows when the biggest strength of a wraithlord is melee.

Yeah, quad shurikens being the only loadout worth taking (or at least the only one where another choice isn’t more cost efficient for the same task) is pretty much the conclusion I’ve come to. Sadly, my two wraithlords are a very classic metal one with one flamer being part of the sculpt (and only one heavy mount point), and one I fully glued when I was like 16 which is dual flamers because they were free then, and a ghost glaive rather than a second cannon because it used to use up a weapon slot.

I do not need to buy a start collection box. I do not need to buy a start collection box. I do not need to buy a start collecting box.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Has anyone tried using a Trygon to pod in a full brood of Tyranid Warriors?

I can imagine 9 of the dudes with bonesword/scytal combos blenderising anything they charge into pretty sharpish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

I like the theory that they basically existed as a narrative army with the sole purpose of getting mowed down by the hundreds.

All the old codices used to include in the forward a little "why play this army" section and I'm curious what that was for Tyranids.

Natural 20 posted:

Has anyone tried using a Trygon to pod in a full brood of Tyranid Warriors?

I can imagine 9 of the dudes with bonesword/scytal combos blenderising anything they charge into pretty sharpish.

This is my intention but I have to wait for xmas for my Warriors. I'd probably give them guns though so they can at least do something if they fail their charge.