Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Overminty posted:

So you can get DA: Inquisition on Origin for £25 at the moment. Is it worth it if I enjoyed DA Origins? Friend's thoughts are that combat's poo poo and side quests are too but I wonder what you lot think.

it absolutely is better than origins. just don't bother doing all the collections quests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Can someone give me a big summary Witcher plot update for preparation for Witcher 3? I only remember vague stuff from 2 and pretty much nothing from Witcher 1.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Rascyc posted:

Can someone give me a big summary Witcher plot update for preparation for Witcher 3? I only remember vague stuff from 2 and pretty much nothing from Witcher 1.

This doesn't seem overly wordy, probably a similar page for the second one.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_storyline

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overminty posted:

So you can get DA: Inquisition on Origin for £25 at the moment. Is it worth it if I enjoyed DA Origins? Friend's thoughts are that combat's poo poo and side quests are too but I wonder what you lot think.
Inquisition is the best game Bioware's made in a long time, but don't bother trying to do everything. There's too much stuff and a lot of it isn't really noteworthy. Just do the stuff that seems interesting.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Overminty posted:

This doesn't seem overly wordy, probably a similar page for the second one.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_storyline

Ah cool, didn't catch this on my searches. Kept getting Kotaku articles and junk. Thanks!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How do you make an idol jrpg without the idol sim aspect anyways...Compile Heart really dropped the ball there imo

that really is kind of weird isnt it

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

wateyad posted:

It doesn't look ugly or particularly stick out if you don't know that. Compile Heart make bad games but they're a tiny company making games on shoestring budgets and producing HD art assets is the main thing that makes modern game development so ludicrously expensive. Getting on their case about asset reuse is misdirected criticism.
It only really jumped out at me because I wasn't really sure why magic battle idols are fighting generic fantasy golems until I remembered the models actually come from their generic fantasy games. And that model is actually a bit higher-quality than the one in Agarest, I think. Still kind of stands out because they're basically limited to "what monsters have we already made, and how do we fit them into this game" even when going from some fantasy epic to a game about idols.

I understand there's reasons for these things, but they could come up with ways to hide them a bit better. I don't know how you do that with a golem in an idol game, but I'm sure they can think of something. Neptunia's enemies were weird but at least they sorta fit the theme. It's just kind of odd.

Endorph posted:

i mean, even the bigger JRPG franchises like tales reuse assets. The 13 trilogy exists entirely as an excuse to reuse assets.
Yeah, and that's something about Tales that kinda bugs me. They do occasionally do some variations (like the Elympios versions of monsters in Xillia 2) which are alright. But it seems like they've been riding some of the same monsters since Symphonia with minor model updates, which often detracts from some of the feel of the world because all the animals are exactly the same as the last super-fantastical world they invented. Xillia managed to nail it by having the contrast between monsters in both regions, which is a smart way to do asset recycling while making it feel like it fits. Even if they kind of already did that in Graces.

Asset reuse is honestly not even my biggest graphical complaint about Lightning Returns. The monsters still look pretty good (even if they're the same thing, they feel different given the camera and Lightning moving around more when fighting them), it's the environmental textures that are slapdash. And I can't fault XIII-2 for laziness too much given that most of the areas are all-new. Yeah, they reuse them in different time periods but again, that's smart asset recycling. You expect a place 5 years later to look about like it did before, so make it a time travel game and now you have an excuse. Granted a "cost-cutting" budget for Square-Enix is probably ten times the full budget for a Compile Heart or Gust game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

That image along with corn in the bible's quote are some kind of perfect description on the current state of jrpg's.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

If Witcher 3 is anything like Witcher 2 it throw everything from the previous game into the fire and only make passing references. I think CDP scrapped any notion of importing your save for all the good that did in TW2. For a brief version:

The Witcher: You are Geralt of Rivia, a witcher who died at some point before the game. A wizard steals the witcher formula in order to create super soldiers. As Geralt investigates he comes across an orphaned child named Alvin who recites an elven omen that predicts an ice age apocalypse. For the next 40 hours you're investigating the missing Witcher juice while being manipulated by non-human freedom fighters and a group of militant monster hunters. And through a totally minor quest you're given a direct spoiler about the ending to the book which explains how Geralt died, the weird parallel universe you ended up in, your encounter with The Wild Hunt which are space-elf wraiths, your original girlfriend Yennefer who died as well, and the fact you have an adopted daughter named Ciri who is the first and only female Witcher and is never mentioned again until she becomes plot relevant in the third game!

Eventually you kill the evil wizard but not after the town of Vizima is embroiled in a bloody race war. The Grand Master of the Order reveals himself as the mastermind, showing Geralt that he was only trying to prevent the coming apocalypse somehow, and is heavily foreshadowed to be Alvin who apparently time traveled in the past I don't loving know. The game ends with Geralt saving the king from being assassinated by another witcher the end.

The Witcher 2: The king you saved from being killed in the first game? He's dead. Assassinated by Letho, a witcher, and Geralt is blamed. Someone is assassinating kings to destabilize the region. You do a bunch of bullshit to track down the killer but he escapes. Then you do a bunch more bullshit while discovering just how hosed up and treacherous literally everyone in this godforsaken world is. Eventually the mages call a council of all the ruling powers and use it to exert their control. But Letho arrives to reveal their plot so now everyone hates the mages again. Letho is actually totally unimportant, you can either kill him or let him go. The game ends with Geralt heading south to Nilfgaard, basically the Roman Empire of this world, with hopes of discovering his past which you must think is kind of worthless at this point because you know everything interesting about it already.

If it seems like nothing happens in The Witcher 2 its because nothing does. It's like Game of Thrones Season 2, a bunch of setting up for season 3 and here's a big cool fight at the end.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

bloodychill posted:

That image along with corn in the bible's quote are some kind of perfect description on the current state of jrpg's.

I seriously cannot stop thinking of that image

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nakar posted:

It only really jumped out at me because I wasn't really sure why magic battle idols are fighting generic fantasy golems until I remembered the models actually come from their generic fantasy games. And that model is actually a bit higher-quality than the one in Agarest, I think. Still kind of stands out because they're basically limited to "what monsters have we already made, and how do we fit them into this game" even when going from some fantasy epic to a game about idols.

I understand there's reasons for these things, but they could come up with ways to hide them a bit better. I don't know how you do that with a golem in an idol game, but I'm sure they can think of something. Neptunia's enemies were weird but at least they sorta fit the theme. It's just kind of odd.

Yeah, and that's something about Tales that kinda bugs me. They do occasionally do some variations (like the Elympios versions of monsters in Xillia 2) which are alright. But it seems like they've been riding some of the same monsters since Symphonia with minor model updates, which often detracts from some of the feel of the world because all the animals are exactly the same as the last super-fantastical world they invented. Xillia managed to nail it by having the contrast between monsters in both regions, which is a smart way to do asset recycling while making it feel like it fits. Even if they kind of already did that in Graces.

Asset reuse is honestly not even my biggest graphical complaint about Lightning Returns. The monsters still look pretty good (even if they're the same thing, they feel different given the camera and Lightning moving around more when fighting them), it's the environmental textures that are slapdash. And I can't fault XIII-2 for laziness too much given that most of the areas are all-new. Yeah, they reuse them in different time periods but again, that's smart asset recycling. You expect a place 5 years later to look about like it did before, so make it a time travel game and now you have an excuse. Granted a "cost-cutting" budget for Square-Enix is probably ten times the full budget for a Compile Heart or Gust game.
id reply to this post but unfortunately i cant reuse any of the words you just posted, as that would be lazy. since you just used every word in the english langauge, that leaves me in a bind. RIP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hubris.height posted:

I seriously cannot stop thinking of that image

It's a slightly creepy monster face I don't get what's so bad about it?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a slightly creepy monster face I don't get what's so bad about it?

I know nothing of this game or series, what is "beep" and what is a MAD human transformation I have no idea what the gently caress is going on in this dialog in this game about what I can only assume is about moe magical girls?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you probably have no idea what's going on because it's in japanese. Hope this helps.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Magical girls often fight monsters which that looks like.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

you probably have no idea what's going on because it's in japanese. Hope this helps.

I get the gist of it. Something called loving beep (which is hilarious on its own) is transforming people into monsters but I can't tell if this horribly twisted character model fits the theme of cute magical girls. That one screenshot looks like something out of SMT, not Sailor Moon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

al-azad posted:

I get the gist of it. Something called loving beep (which is hilarious on its own) is transforming people into monsters but I can't tell if this horribly twisted character model fits the theme of cute magical girls. That one screenshot looks like something out of SMT, not Sailor Moon.

One of the first-ever 'magical girl' shows was made by Go Nagai, so horrifying twisted monsters is right up their alley.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

That one screenshot looks like something out of SMT, not Sailor Moon.
the sailor moon anime was directed by a horror movie aficionado and contained several references to psycho in particular

also, madoka magica is a show that exists and was extremely popular.

omega quintet has a magical girl theme but it's clearly aimed at 20 something nerds, not little girls. so if they want hosed up monsters, they can have hosed up monsters without worrying about scaring kids.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm clearly mistaking the target audience because Go Nagai's work, particularly Cutie Honey to me is indescribable aesthetically from something like Witchblade while this game looks like PowerPuff Girls Z and hey here's a melted flesh monster with teeth jutting out of its head, kids!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

al-azad posted:

magical girls havent been for kids for a long time. the reason they're all underage and wear skimpy outfits is because of the sexualization of children and not because it's targeted towards them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

magical girls havent been for kids for a long time. the reason they're all underage and wear skimpy outfits is because of the sexualization of children and not because it's targeted towards them.

Nah. The Pretty Cure series is targeted primarily to young girls. It's their version of Power Rangers/Super Sentai.

Everything else though, yeah, that poo poo is for lonely 30 year olds.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. The Pretty Cure series is targeted primarily to young girls. It's their version of Power Rangers/Super Sentai.

Everything else though, yeah, that poo poo is for lonely 30 year olds.
sailor moon crystal? Though I guess the target for that was nostalgic women in their mid-20s who watched the original when they were kids.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

princess tutu was a good magical girl anime

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Endorph posted:

id reply to this post but unfortunately i cant reuse any of the words you just posted, as that would be lazy. since you just used every word in the english langauge, that leaves me in a bind. RIP.
"Quantity has a quality all its own." --Sailor Moon

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
something about the combination of that face with the text

"beep
MAD"

makes me laugh everytime i think of it or see it. it's just all me, i have no idea why.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Overminty posted:

I gave up on Inquistion after like twenty hours. The writing is a notch above recent BioWare games (read; not completely loving awful), but the combat, sidequests, and character building are some of the least satisfying I've ever dealt with. It's a 2008-era MMO in all but name and there's absolutely no excuse for it. I'm not joking when I say you'll probably have a more engaging video game experience playing like a free month of WoW or some poo poo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

I would quite happily play a thousand IGAvania's even if they were still reusing sprites from Rondo of Blood.
Old Axe Armor forever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

hubris.height posted:

something about the combination of that face with the text

"beep
MAD"

makes me laugh everytime i think of it or see it. it's just all me, i have no idea why.

Nah I'm with you there. All I know about this game is that something called beep is turning people into monsters called MAD(?) and only verse maidens can defeat them with the power of song. A human being thought of this game.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

al-azad posted:

Nah I'm with you there. All I know about this game is that something called beep is turning people into monsters called MAD(?) and only verse maidens can defeat them with the power of song. A human being thought of this game.

Pretty sure Divine inspiration had a lot to do with this game so please give credit where credit is due

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

both beep and MAD are references to terms used on nico nico douga, a japanese video sharing site with a large subcommunity of amateur singers and composers. It is pretty easy how they would make that reference in a game about idols. who sing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Don't ruin the magic of that image. Everything about it gave me the giggles at work.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

al-azad posted:

you know everything interesting about it already.
[/spoiler]
Thanks for this. So I wasn't going crazy recollecting the first game and its use of characters in Witcher 3. What a weird series.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

both beep and MAD are references to terms used on nico nico douga, a japanese video sharing site with a large subcommunity of amateur singers and composers. It is pretty easy how they would make that reference in a game about idols. who sing.
Oh is that what it is? The localizers changed "beep" to "blare" because it sounds so stupid, but then apparently none of the reviewers played in English and kept getting confused at the discrepancy between dialogue and text.
This all makes it doubly hilarious because "beep" refers to big fat monster spawning/mutating gas clouds(the monsters themselves are "MAD").

Nakar posted:

Yeah the idol theme is actually kinda flimsy according to most reviews.
The enemy selection is mostly just your average JRPG stuff. You've got large version of mundane animals, generic fantasy creature, a buncha mechs, and of course weird body horror.

Speaking of generic fantasy creatures, what is it with every JRPG and Norse mythology? Specifically Hraesvelgr, which keeps showing up for some reason. Maybe I'm too used to Greek monsters being featured in games.

HGH fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 9, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

More like what's with video games in general and Norse mythology? It's so played out. I always look forward to SMT games for creatures taken from all over the world.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

bloodychill posted:

Don't ruin the magic of that image. Everything about it gave me the giggles at work.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm gonna play Tales of Xillia - does it matter who I pick to play as? I don't really want to go through it twice

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paperhouse posted:

I'm gonna play Tales of Xillia - does it matter who I pick to play as? I don't really want to go through it twice

Play as Jude. Milla's route assumes you have.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Telepath Tactics has a demo now, in case someone wanted to give it a try but was wary of buying it:

http://sinisterdesign.net/telepath-tactics-demo-now-released/

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Paperhouse posted:

Maybe 5% of the story scenes are different between the characters. As with other Tales games, though, you can switch the playable battle character so further than those scenes it doesn't really matter.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Maybe 5% of the scenes are different between the characters. As with other Tales games, though, you can switch the playable battle character so further than those scenes it doesn't really matter.

There's a decent stretch later in the game though that separates them, and Milla's side is much, much shorter than Jude's is. Not to mention containing a few key events.