Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sam Faust posted:

I probably would have gotten annoyed at that sidequest if I had to redo it, but I'm not bad at videogames so it was cute and fun.

I failed it once and while I think it was the lamest poo poo to do in the game, it wasn't extremely horrible.

It never should have been in there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It was cute as hell and if you hated it, then you're a bad person.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The whole thing takes 7 minutes to do. I remember failing the first time a couple minutes in when I was traveling too close. 2nd when he turned backwards to go to the log at about 5 minutes in. The second time right at the end when I saw the Shrine and thought I could just run directly to it after 6 minutes. And then did the whole thing. That's 20 minutes of slowly walking, loving lame.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

unbutthurtable posted:

Codes were all used :frogout:

So I bought it :getin:

add an extra purchase on the pile :getin:

edit: hey mezzanine, i found a tiny grammar error. the first text popup when you open the app says "Tap an buff to start making...".

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 12, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

It was cute as hell and if you hated it, then you're a bad person.

I'd rather have some fun with my cute, thank you very much.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I failed it once because while I was trying to be stealthy as I shot the wolf he spotted me. So I did it again and the wolf stayed dead from the previous time and it was no trouble at all. Just boring and hard to see on the tiny screen, because I play in Switch portable mode.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Actually in hindsight, since you can run ahead and just wait at the shrine for 5 minutes, I wonder if you could just wait by the questgiver and then just run along behind. If he legitimately doesn't need your help even with the wolf I would laugh hard.

I just shot the wolf as soon as I spotted it. It is hilarious if it legit doesn't do anything to him, but when you think about it he's wood, so unless the wolf wants a chew toy....

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

The Lobster posted:

I failed it once because while I was trying to be stealthy as I shot the wolf he spotted me. So I did it again and the wolf stayed dead from the previous time and it was no trouble at all. Just boring and hard to see on the tiny screen, because I play in Switch portable mode.

I failed it once because he thought there was a ghost and turned around. I think I got it on the next try.

I was wearing the ninja sheikah gear by the way. I think I actually killed the wolves.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Dieting Hippo posted:

add an extra purchase on the pile :getin:

edit: hey mezzanine, i found a tiny grammar error. the first text popup when you open the app says "Tap an buff to start making...".

Thank you!! (should've been "any buff")

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

canoshiz posted:

I failed it because I thought once he got to the end, you were supposed to sneak past him and get to the shrine. Boy was I surprised when I got back to the start of that area.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
More info on how losing the Master Sword works.

I'm reminded of something Maxwell Adams said around a decade ago when he was messing with Oblivion.

"The game will crash if you give it enough reason to."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm reminded of something Maxwell Adams said around a decade ago when he was messing with Oblivion.

lol

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Master Sword has gone back to its home planet.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Jesus Christ 195 hours later and I'm staring at the finish line, since I explored Hyrule Castle earlier and now I am prepared to face down Calams Ganon. I could write a big post about my feelings on this game but it'd just be easier to summize it as "the hype was real" and "yeah the bosses were kinda toothless."

So, anywhere I might have missed thats cool and should double back to?

If I was to answer my own question, Forgotten Temple is a wild ride. Seeing all them lasers and realising the trick is to NEVER STOP RUNNING :stonk: was great!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Thyrork posted:

Jesus Christ 195 hours later and I'm staring at the finish line, since I explored Hyrule Castle earlier and now I am prepared to face down Calams Ganon. I could write a big post about my feelings on this game but it'd just be easier to summize it as "the hype was real" and "yeah the bosses were kinda toothless."

So, anywhere I might have missed thats cool and should double back to?

If I was to answer my own question, Forgotten Temple is a wild ride. Seeing all them lasers and realising the trick is to NEVER STOP RUNNING :stonk: was great!

Have you done Eventide Island?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Runcible Cat posted:

Have you done Eventide Island?

Yup, it was pretty good. I tried to do out of the box thinking with the boss there but the explosive barrels despawn if you go too far away. :smith: I'll refrain from clogging up the thread with replies, just hit me with suggestions, some gem might have slipped through. :haw:

Also the music for Hyrule Castle (both inside and outside) is great.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Thyrork posted:

Yup, it was pretty good. I tried to do out of the box thinking with the boss there but the explosive barrels despawn if you go too far away. :smith: I'll refrain from clogging up the thread with replies, just hit me with suggestions, some gem might have slipped through. :haw:

Also the music for Hyrule Castle (both inside and outside) is great.

i swear there's one part of the Hyrule Castle song that sounds like the start of Ballad of the Wind Fish from Link's Awakening. i really hope that was intentional and not just a subconscious desire for an HD LA remake.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's no follow-through after the first few similar notes, and there's no thematic reason for that song to be in there as a leitmotif, so I'd chalk it up as definitely a coincidence.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Viewtiful Jew posted:

the fact they programmed a failsafe for dropping the master sword is pretty awesome

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Augus posted:

the fact they programmed a failsafe for dropping the master sword is pretty awesome

This and the Blood Moon triggering whenever memory is low are really drat smart. It's impossible to make a game this big and emergent free of bugs, so they made the game recover gracefully from bugs, and work that recovery into the narrative so that you aren't completely pulled out of the game when it happens. This is the quality and attention to detail that's characteristic of Nintendo and that made me excited to see them take a swing at this genre.

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

acksplode posted:

This and the Blood Moon triggering whenever memory is low

What?? please explain

acksplode
May 17, 2004

EnvyJ posted:

What?? please explain

People have observed that you can provoke a Blood Moon more quickly by killing enemies and destroying stuff -- causing effects that the game has to keep in memory. A Blood Moon resets the world's state, and people have seen it trigger more frequently than it ought to, and during the day. So it looks like it's a recovery mechanism that frees up memory and resets the world to a known "safe" state.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wish several of the Test of Strength shrines had been events similar to Eventide Island :colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Augus posted:

According to the comment though it actually doesn't return to the forest and I guess is completely lost?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's not actually the master sword just a clone of it through item duping

E:I think? All that game memory stuff is confusing

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 13, 2017

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Goddam I like walking around and just picking mushrooms and apples

My Zelda timeline is hiring Ocarina when it came out and hating it, actually 100%ing Majora's Mask and loving the dark atmosphere, then trying the NES one and LTTP and just not caring, then downloading BOTW on my WiiU and liking it so much and hating the 8 minute load time just to start it up everytime I bought it from the E Shop

So yeah my Zelda experience is Majora in 2000 then BOTW and that's just fine

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

According to the comment though it actually doesn't return to the forest and I guess is completely lost?

I imagine since he somehow managed to clone items, the animation played for his cloned Master Sword, which he lost immediately because the Master Sword can't actually drop, but the forest itself only has to check your inventory for the Master Sword to make sure it doesn't appear.

So yeah, I think the safeguard for glitches glitched out (but not in any game-breaking way).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Yay, my Switch arrived! :dance: I only died three times so far, twice from clumsiness and once by Guardian.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

s.i.r.e. posted:

According to the video description

quote:

The game actually has a fully-functional failsafe in it for this with a completely unique message and visual effect. "The Master Sword has returned to the forest." (You don't actually lose the Master Sword when you do this, just whatever weapon was in the dropped slot.)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I wonder if it was a leftover from an earlier test version, where the Master Sword did not recharge in your hand when broken, and instead you had to go back to get it, similar to the way the other Champion weapons work.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Augus posted:

According to the video description

So he's not actually dropping the Master Sword?

maltesh posted:

I wonder if it was a leftover from an earlier test version, where the Master Sword did not recharge in your hand when broken, and instead you had to go back to get it, similar to the way the other Champion weapons work.

I'm surprised it even got translated.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

s.i.r.e. posted:

So he's not actually dropping the Master Sword?

Nah, he's making the game think he has the master sword equipped when he's holding a different weapon, which he can drop, so the game thinks he's dropping the master sword.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm surprised it even got translated.

Most translations are done in a spreadsheet before they're put into the game, so basically everything gets translated regardless of whether the player can see it or not, to the point where it would be more surprising if it wasn't translated.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/863463462026043392
https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/863473862977236994

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

That's a neat little addition on the part of the composer(s).

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Anyone else notice at times severe animation lag? It's to the point I almost think the console has frozen, like a full second or more. Specifically I've noticed it most often when fighting Moblins, right at the point they're changing over to the ragdoll animation, both at the last hit of a combo that knocks them over, and death.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Anyone else notice at times severe animation lag? It's to the point I almost think the console has frozen, like a full second or more. Specifically I've noticed it most often when fighting Moblins, right at the point they're changing over to the ragdoll animation, both at the last hit of a combo that knocks them over, and death.

Yes multiple posts about it. Known issue

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Just finished A Link Between Worlds, it's pretty excellent and exactly what I needed after BOTW. The dungeons and bosses are fantastic, and the merging mechanic was pretty cool.

Now back to Ocarina I suppose... I hate the part I'm at though, inside Lord Jabu-Jabu's belly babysitting the Zora girl.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Norns posted:

Yes multiple posts about it. Known issue

Oh, ok. I skipped about 300 pages once I got far enough into the game to not worry about spoilers, I should've known.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Just finished A Link Between Worlds, it's pretty excellent and exactly what I needed after BOTW. The dungeons and bosses are fantastic, and the merging mechanic was pretty cool.

Now back to Ocarina I suppose... I hate the part I'm at though, inside Lord Jabu-Jabu's belly babysitting the Zora girl.

Yeah it really is a great game. Funny enough that's what I played after BotW, then OoT, WW, and I just finished Majoras Mask (for the first time). I think for me now it's the NES games as they're the only ones I've yet to beat, then maybe the Oracle games, if I'm not burnt out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Oh, ok. I skipped about 300 pages once I got far enough into the game to not worry about spoilers, I should've known.

To reiterate some of the other things that are not terribly spoilery but common in the thread.

1) Arrows can be pre-lit from torches.

2) Stasis enemies for entertainment and for tactical advantages.

3) People forget that they have Cryonis

4) Prioritize upgrades with Dragon & Ancient parts. Cash is nice, but the upgrades are nicer.

5) There is a Horse Fairy in Faron

6) The game encourages you to enter Hyrule Castle from time to time. Don't save it all for the end game. It has great loot.

7) Spin to Win

8) Don't spoof Amiibo or you'll get a stern talking-to.

8a) I just spent 5 hours grinding Hinox and Dragon parts for the Fierce Deity upgrades.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 14, 2017