Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Valle posted:

Just got booted to login screen, and now it just times out at login. Anyone else get dropped as well?

Yes, and lost a Shaper that was in phase 3. Of all the times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Hitting up twitch, it seems half the streamers dc'ed, but some are still playing somehow...

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

gonadic io posted:

How should I be valuing Leaguestones? Are any worth a drat when white? I tried searching poe.trade but idiots have continually put them up for 10c each when there's also others of the same kind at 1 alc or less

Only ones worth anything are breach, onslaught and nemesis; maybe beyond. Those will all go for 4-5c white, more depending on if they're magic and what they rolled (i.e. dreaming breach leaguestone can go for 40-50c, ample breach for 10-15c). I'd put the tempest ones that increase quantity in the 4-5c range as well.

Then there are really valuable ones like the perandus ones that guarantee a safe or an archive in the map.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The guys still playing obviously paid their kickbacks to GGG on time.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Venuz Patrol posted:

kaom's heart isn't necessary in the sense that it's not 100% required for the build to work like the +max resist items and nodes are, but it will nearly double your damage and survivability by itself.

There are some interesting possibilities dropping kaom's for a belly of the beast or a generic 6l life chest and running a spell that benefits from area damage and doesn't interfere with elemental equilibrium. Blade vortex fits the playstyle and can yield pretty good damage and leech. I haven't tried blight but it might be cool too.

Really though, it's hard to justify giving up ~1400 hp and the damage/regen that comes with it when a 4l scorching ray is 80% as good.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Fixit posted:

The two characters are Rheinheart and KimberlyHeart

That looks nice. Does every life build for RF revolve around Kaom's Heart?

Get better boots, get better gloves (200ES)

Stop running Flame Dash, use that for a CWDT setup
Stop running purity of elements and fix your resists; use orb of storms there
Stop running Ancestral Protector and Item Rarity (?????)

Get 29% WED on your claws if you can, get WED on your other ring

Get a 6L Regalia with at least 700es

e: Also how much int do you have?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Since the game still seems to be down I wouldn't mind some advice. I'm clearing T10/11 okay but can tell that once I move into 12-13-14 (if they ever drop) I'm probably going to start having a little trouble.

I've been running a Whispering Ice Witch with pretty great success, but I feel like I've hit a point now where there's nothing else I can upgrade that doesn't cost like 5+ ex, and I'm poor as poo poo. (I have a Black Sun Crest but don't have the ES to wear it safely yet.)

Is there anything here I can replace at relatively low cost to boost defense or damage or am I kind of stuck until this game decides to drop literally anything for me that's worth more than a couple chaos?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Aerox/characters Character is the level 86 Witch.

Thanks!

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Back up now!

Edit:

Aerox posted:

Since the game still seems to be down I wouldn't mind some advice. I'm clearing T10/11 okay but can tell that once I move into 12-13-14 (if they ever drop) I'm probably going to start having a little trouble.

I've been running a Whispering Ice Witch with pretty great success, but I feel like I've hit a point now where there's nothing else I can upgrade that doesn't cost like 5+ ex, and I'm poor as poo poo. (I have a Black Sun Crest but don't have the ES to wear it safely yet.)

Is there anything here I can replace at relatively low cost to boost defense or damage or am I kind of stuck until this game decides to drop literally anything for me that's worth more than a couple chaos?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Aerox/characters Character is the level 86 Witch.

Thanks!

Get ye belt: http://poe.trade/search/ikasiotedomomo
Then...well, personally I dropped the doedre, as then I only need a 4l chest, which opens up a whole lot of dirt cheap high-ES chests. And adds a ring with resists and hopefully some ES. I dropped enfeeble from the chest and kept it just temp chains.

Valle fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 17, 2017

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

Get better boots, get better gloves (200ES)

Stop running Flame Dash, use that for a CWDT setup
Stop running purity of elements and fix your resists; use orb of storms there
Stop running Ancestral Protector and Item Rarity (?????)

Get 29% WED on your claws if you can, get WED on your other ring

Get a 6L Regalia with at least 700es

e: Also how much int do you have?

I think the int is around 1,080. I'm not using Purity, its just in there. Item rarity is in there as well for same reason...there is no reason.

I thought on the HOWA the main thing was getting 11% int or better.

Good lord a 6L Regalia is 300+ chaos. I have 99 chaos.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Fixit posted:

I think the int is around 1,080. I'm not using Purity, its just in there. Item rarity is in there as well for same reason...there is no reason.

That's even worse, you're using the sockets for nothing then :P

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Fixit posted:

Yes that's the most important roll, but the extra WED is a nice bonus as long as those aren't a lot more expensive.

CWDT / Immortal Call / Vortex should fix your dying issue, as well as getting more ES on your gear. Getting rid of w/e your 4L is in your boots also lets you run Vaal Haste / Vaal Disc / Inc Duration / something (i like rallying cry for mana regen).
If you need more damage there's no shortcut around that except to improve your gear (and get 20/20 gems wherever you can). Orb of Storms / Conductivity / Curse on Hit with slow proj will help you kill bosses really quickly.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man I've lucked out and found 6 Diviners Strongboxes this league + but even rolling all for lots of +cards mods with chaos I've only had a single decent card worth 10c or more (sold for 19c) and only about 5 that actually sold at all. Oh well.

Gotta say I really regret picking an all-uniques WI build for this league for a whole host of reasons. First off it's defensively pretty garbage due to low ES, and while the damage isn't TERRIBLE or anything, it's not nearly good enough to make up for it - T16 bosses are quite lengthy fights and even T15 are pretty meh. Second, the playstyle is pretty boring and I gotta say even with some AoE nodes and such the Icestorm AoE feels really bad to use for me. I really regret not picking some kind of projectile build this league. Third, I ran into a wall where upgrades are concerned really early and now I'm just kinda stuck. To be fair, Astramentis at ~90c and Shavs at ~6ex were pretty big upgrades that cost a decent amount...but neither really involved incremental upgrades, which is all the fun - I had to use Solaris until I could afford Shavs, and Astramentis isn't exactly THAT expensive even if it took me a week or so to get since I was getting the rest of my gear together first. Since getting the Shavs, I've had exactly three ways to upgrade my gear: Buy Acuity (not happening), buy Skyforth (super not happening), and improving my cheap uniques with better Vaaled/enchanted versions. But nobody's selling good vaals/enchants of any items I'm using and I sure can't be bothered running through Uber Lab over and over to try and get a nice enchant there, so I'm just stuck bulk-buying trash 1alch items and Vaaling them for a less than 1-in-100 chance at something good as my only gear progression now. I definitely won't be using any unique-heavy builds for my next few characters, this is real boring.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

Yes that's the most important roll, but the extra WED is a nice bonus as long as those aren't a lot more expensive.

CWDT / Immortal Call / Vortex should fix your dying issue, as well as getting more ES on your gear. Getting rid of w/e your 4L is in your boots also lets you run Vaal Haste / Vaal Disc / Inc Duration / something (i like rallying cry for mana regen).
If you need more damage there's no shortcut around that except to improve your gear (and get 20/20 gems wherever you can). Orb of Storms / Conductivity / Curse on Hit with slow proj will help you kill bosses really quickly.

I will make the switches tonight. What maps should I be running to be quick? I will look for better HOWAs but will probably keep the ones I have to help spend currency on other items.

Also, is there a better loot filter than ZiiggyD's beginner one? I do not know what to pick up or what to sell to gain currency. Most of the stuff I have up for 1 c or 2 c is not selling.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Have you considered turning your build into a Scorching Ray CWC WI?

Konquest
Jan 12, 2008
Can I get an invite to the guild? Char name is Xanradune. Thanks

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I tried the Scorching Ray set-up but didn't like it: It felt way more vulnerable because you have to stand still for a bit to get the Icestorms rolling, whereas self-cast with Spell Echo and lots of cast speed felt like the perfect speed to stutter-step cast against tough bosses. Also I HATED CWC playstyle for actual map-clearing.

Besides, while the damage isn't terribly impressive (6.5k average hits unbuffed, 0.29 casts/sec atm), I'm definitely feeling like the defensive part of the build is a lot more problematic. Even getting pretty much optimally-rolled items in every slot, and being level 92 with a lot of passives, I'm still only sitting at 9k ES since a lot of the uniques don't do great ES-wise. It really feels like this all-unique version of WI I'm doing was made with legacy Signets + ability to afford Emperor's Wit/Mastery, letting Int scale that extra bit that brings ES and damage over the hump to actually being good. Right now I'm pretty sure non-Unique builds are better.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Insurrectionist posted:

Right now I'm pretty sure non-Unique builds are better.

I think this is the heart of the matter.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Fun fact, with CWC your first icestorm comes out after .35s. With spell echo, you're stuck in place for two casts which take around .8 to .9s in total, depending on total cast speed from gear and tree.

If it feels like it's taking longer with CWC, you're way overcooking it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It takes me .58 secs to cast with Spell Echo, but that gets me two casts. CwC would take .70 secs for the same. You do get the beam too but I dunno how the -res and miniscule ticks compare with the higher listed Icestorm damage on my non-CWC version. Obviously if you can stand there longer, CWC wins. But there's also the fact that a cast with spell echo has a clear start and end meaning you waste no time dodging afterwards - it's always the same .58 secs. While technically you might do fine at .7 secs too, you're rarely gonna be able to time the second storm that accurately, and you're often gonna end up dodging at .65 (and lose a lot of damage comparatively) or overstaying because you really wanted the second tick out and didn't start moving until .8 seconds in.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Why are you dodging? Facetank everything.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Even with Icestorm's amazing leech and 81% resists, most really dangerous poo poo just kills me if I try and tank. Especially without armor potions up. Stuff like the Guardians. Chimera sprints around like an rear end in a top hat and beats me up so I can't dodge him, but even with no damage mods I can only barely outleech his damage and ONLY if I'm already getting icestorm stacks up on me when he spawns - if he catches me off-guard after his beasts then he bursts me down before I can stack enough storms to outleech his damage. I haven't tried Minotaur yet but the other two definitely just kill me through leech if I try and tank. Phoenix is still not bad though since his fight is quite simple.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Fixit posted:

You should have the damage to do shape strand and stuff a-ok, there are a few things taht are bad about your build right now though.

1. your lvl 1 enlighten does nothing right now, buy a lvl2 corrupted and toss it in weapon swap (buy some haku weapons to use for that to level it faster) and sell it when it hits lvl 2 or keep it until it hits lvl 3. That'll give you enough free mana to cast ST no problem (your regen is going to be meh, but you live off of the mana leech which will more than keep you going).

2. Same thing, ditch the mana potion and run something more useful (ideally a vinktars, which is probably worth throwing all your money at because it's that good, but a second onslaught or a granit or something to keep you alive would be better).

3. Your tree is pretty ok, but you've got a few spots that aren't doing much for you but nothing that looks like a deal breaker apart from the fact that you don't have avatar of the veil yet. Getting someone to help you through uber lab (ask in guild chat, odds are someone will help you do it if you provide the offering for free/cheap) will make you soooo much more survivable/do a bunch more damage.

Just doing more maps to get your gems up to 20/20 will help (or buying some cheap corrupted ones) will give you a nice damage boost too. I'd bet that you've got good enough gear to do nearly everything in the game, so just save up for a lightning penetration vinktars and go nuts. Maybe keep an eye out for a 5l regalia with 700+ es and 40+ int afterwards, but you've got all the tools you need.

e. here's my tree/char if you want to see how I pathed around and the gear I use to futz around for mapping (I swap an astramentis/crystal belt/better gloves in for t16's/shaper/uber atziri to speed things up and get me over 10k es) https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/MrDespair/characters?characterName=run_the_exalts_Mrd

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 17, 2017

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
Haven't been able to log in all morning through steam, says its running then just stops, no loading screen or anything.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
if anyone wants to buy any of my gear, here's my profile: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/pokchu/characters

this leagues chars are po_d, po_la, pokmoo, and po_t

po_d currently easily farms any content in game, highlights include 6L starforge, 5L cospris and sins rebirth
po_la is a stupid pile of poo poo with a 6L slivertongue and a 6L perfect form

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

You should have the damage to do shape strand and stuff a-ok, there are a few things taht are bad about your build right now though.

1. your lvl 1 enlighten does nothing right now, buy a lvl2 corrupted and toss it in weapon swap (buy some haku weapons to use for that to level it faster) and sell it when it hits lvl 2 or keep it until it hits lvl 3. That'll give you enough free mana to cast ST no problem (your regen is going to be meh, but you live off of the mana leech which will more than keep you going).

2. Same thing, ditch the mana potion and run something more useful (ideally a vinktars, which is probably worth throwing all your money at because it's that good, but a second onslaught or a granit or something to keep you alive would be better).

3. Your tree is pretty ok, but you've got a few spots that aren't doing much for you but nothing that looks like a deal breaker apart from the fact that you don't have avatar of the veil yet. Getting someone to help you through uber lab (ask in guild chat, odds are someone will help you do it if you provide the offering for free/cheap) will make you soooo much more survivable/do a bunch more damage.

Just doing more maps to get your gems up to 20/20 will help (or buying some cheap corrupted ones) will give you a nice damage boost too. I'd bet that you've got good enough gear to do nearly everything in the game, so just save up for a lightning penetration vinktars and go nuts. Maybe keep an eye out for a 5l regalia with 700+ es and 40+ int afterwards, but you've got all the tools you need.

e. here's my tree/char if you want to see how I pathed around and the gear I use to futz around for mapping (I swap an astramentis/crystal belt/better gloves in for t16's/shaper/uber atziri to speed things up and get me over 10k es) https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/MrDespair/characters?characterName=run_the_exalts_Mrd

A shape strand is a t11-16 that has a shaper orb put on it right? Will save up for a vinktars with the penetration...that is something like 150c I believe.

I've tried running uber lab with guildies, but not being carried. I can get to the final room but will get one shot death every time.

Been meaning to get rid of the mana potion since I put a skill point into a mana regen node with intelligence. No longer need it.

Thanks for the tree. Will be comparing that tonight. And thank you for the help!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, you shouldn't need that mana regen node (it's got some int on it to it's not completely useless), but you should have enough leech to be fine. Enduring cry (or whatever ones gives you damage/mana regen) is more useful than that node.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004

Insurrectionist posted:

It takes me .58 secs to cast with Spell Echo, but that gets me two casts. CwC would take .70 secs for the same. You do get the beam too but I dunno how the -res and miniscule ticks compare with the higher listed Icestorm damage on my non-CWC version. Obviously if you can stand there longer, CWC wins. But there's also the fact that a cast with spell echo has a clear start and end meaning you waste no time dodging afterwards - it's always the same .58 secs. While technically you might do fine at .7 secs too, you're rarely gonna be able to time the second storm that accurately, and you're often gonna end up dodging at .65 (and lose a lot of damage comparatively) or overstaying because you really wanted the second tick out and didn't start moving until .8 seconds in.

Your listed cast speed is how long it takes you to cast one time, even with spell echo socketed in. Spell echo forces you to cast two times at that rate.

I don't know the details of your build but if you're converting cold to fire already, SR is probably the better option. It does a good amount of damage in its own right, and the -resist debuff is really good for bosses. It does feel weird clearing maps with CWC builds until you get used to it, but once you get the rhythm I doubt you're going to be moving any more slowly.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

pokchu posted:

if anyone wants to buy any of my gear, here's my profile: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/pokchu/characters

this leagues chars are po_d, po_la, pokmoo, and po_t

po_d currently easily farms any content in game, highlights include 6L starforge, 5L cospris and sins rebirth
po_la is a stupid pile of poo poo with a 6L slivertongue and a 6L perfect form

How much are you selling items for? I may be interested in the Vessel of Vinktars on Pokmoo

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Insurrectionist posted:

Even with Icestorm's amazing leech and 81% resists, most really dangerous poo poo just kills me if I try and tank. Especially without armor potions up. Stuff like the Guardians. Chimera sprints around like an rear end in a top hat and beats me up so I can't dodge him, but even with no damage mods I can only barely outleech his damage and ONLY if I'm already getting icestorm stacks up on me when he spawns - if he catches me off-guard after his beasts then he bursts me down before I can stack enough storms to outleech his damage. I haven't tried Minotaur yet but the other two definitely just kill me through leech if I try and tank. Phoenix is still not bad though since his fight is quite simple.

I guess sr cwc wins out then, I facetank Chimera easily enough. Life Leech support and Warlord's Mark on Blasphemy. My problem is not getting dead when he starts hiding in the fog. Having poo poo luck finding the right fog.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Fixit posted:

The two characters are Rheinheart and KimberlyHeart
found your problem. you are using a hubris with no mtx

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
SR CWC also lets you cast with a further range, since the storm lands at the position of your cursor, and the range check for scorching ray lets you go much further out compared to selfcast

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, it's great for coward's trial. You can just stand in the middle and circle your cursor around the room dropping icestorms everywhere at the end of the beam.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Awesome! posted:

found your problem. you are using a hubris with no mtx

What is mtx?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you are losing sockets to sr and cwc though so i dont see how it can be more damage

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Fixit posted:

What is mtx?

Pay to play barbie

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I started playing this on like, Friday, so I'm pretty clueless. I'm coming from a long history of D2/D3 though, so at least I don't feel completely out of place.

I'm around 35ish; is it possible for valuable leaguestones to even drop for me? I've been using them constantly because I figured there was no way ones worth selling would drop at this level, but if that's not the case, I'll go through the effort of price checking them.

Also, unrelated, but I'm (just recently) following a popular guide for Tornado Arrow. I grabbed the skill gem for Tornado last night, and after swapping my uh...Rain of Arrows? gem for it, it's miserable. It's a few levels behind but man it seems terrible in comparison. What am I missing here? Why would it under-perform so terribly in the exact same slot as Rain?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Awesome! posted:

you are losing sockets to sr and cwc though so i dont see how it can be more damage

SR provides up to 24% fire resistance reduction against the target in question which acts as a more multiplier (and does it's own considerable DPS), while CWC itself provides a 10% more multiplier and farts out your icestorms faster than even spell echo will without the associated damage reduction from using it.

It's probably pretty close either way, so use what feels best to you.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I started playing this on like, Friday, so I'm pretty clueless. I'm coming from a long history of D2/D3 though, so at least I don't feel completely out of place.

I'm around 35ish; is it possible for valuable leaguestones to even drop for me? I've been using them constantly because I figured there was no way ones worth selling would drop at this level, but if that's not the case, I'll go through the effort of price checking them.

Also, unrelated, but I'm (just recently) following a popular guide for Tornado Arrow. I grabbed the skill gem for Tornado last night, and after swapping my uh...Rain of Arrows? gem for it, it's miserable. It's a few levels behind but man it seems terrible in comparison. What am I missing here? Why would it under-perform so terribly in the exact same slot as Rain?

Tornado Shot needs at least Lesser Multiple projectiles to be any good. Ideally Greater, but that comes at a later level.

It's one of the few skills that gets stronger even in spite of the damage reduction those support gems cause.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
Nevermind, someone already said the same thing I was gonna say about CWC/SR for icestorm. One of my favorite things about PoE is that your real dps is usually not as straightforward as just mashing the biggest numbers possible into the tooltip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Fixit posted:

How much are you selling items for? I may be interested in the Vessel of Vinktars on Pokmoo

poe.ninja has it listed for 72C, so knock 10% or so off and say 65C

• Locked thread