Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The way the game throttles the amount of items (arrows, fairies etc) is pretty smart, it's a feature I can't recall seeing in any other titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

:nallears:

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

Want to say which one you're missing?

I don't remember the Great Fairy names, but the ones I have found so far by location are:

Kakariko Village
Gerudo Desert
Tabantha Region
Faron Region (the horse one)

I only have 6 shrines remaining and all Divine Beasts finished. I just want to make sure there's a quest or dialogue associated with finding the last Great Fairy so I can focus my search on going around to the towns and stables.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

along the way posted:

I don't remember the Great Fairy names, but the ones I have found so far by location are:

Kakariko Village
Gerudo Desert
Tabantha Region
Faron Region (the horse one)

I only have 6 shrines remaining and all Divine Beasts finished. I just want to make sure there's a quest or dialogue associated with finding the last Great Fairy so I can focus my search on going around to the towns and stables.

There isn't a quest but it's really hard to miss

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Maybe you need to quest less. Kick back, set up a home, relax a little. Help others live out their dreams!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Calling it now. It's literally Pokemon Go but with Koroks.

I'm... I'm actually pretty okay with this!

maltesh posted:

Or, the next time you go to the fountain, choose to hold five of the fairies you have in your inventory. Once the number of fairies in your actual inventory drops below the threshold (because they're in your hands now), more will appear at the fountain, as long as it's been a Blood Moon since the last time you grabbed or chased off fairies from that fountain.

You can then put the ones in your hands away, and go catch the new fairies.

If I recall correctly, the maximum number of fairies you can have in your inventory by doing this is 11.

There's this space game that I play that has developers who mean well, but gently caress up basic poo poo all the time, etc, to the point someone bought a smiley that sums it up: :frontear:

Nintendo strikes me as the polar opposite, in that all the basic poo poo works great, and so does little things like this, or the flying mine cart trick (can't pick up something you are on but you can pick up something thing you are on is standing on).

I'm holding out until the DLC drops, then starting over in hard mode. My goal is to get enough hearts to draw forth you-know-what first thing, and blow Impa's mind.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
10-4, I think I know what I need to do now.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What's the go to method for farming star fragments? I googled it and followed a guide saying to quit out of the game, reload and then go to dueling peaks and wait for a full moon. I got a full moon and waited all night watching the sky... no shooting star.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

RCarr posted:

What's the go to method for farming star fragments? I googled it and followed a guide saying to quit out of the game, reload and then go to dueling peaks and wait for a full moon. I got a full moon and waited all night watching the sky... no shooting star.

You don't need the full moon.

Go to Dueling Peaks (or another high place with a good view of a flat area without too much mud/water/malice fragments might land in).

Build a fire, sit by it till evening.

Save, quit out of game, reopen game.

Gaze meditatively over plain (try and make sure the bridge isn't in your field of view; I lost a fragment in the lake that way).

You should get a star fall sometime that night. Mark it, teleport to the nearest shrine/tower, run like hell.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well on my quest to go through all the Zelda games I haven't beaten (or just feel like playing at any given time) I beat Wind Waker HD. I had Wind Waker when it came out, but I never beat it. That Triforce quest got the best of me.

I'm gonna post a super unpopular opinion here and say that the Wind Waker... really isn't all that amazing.

Before the game came out, people were in an uproar about the graphic style. Because of that, I think a lot of people are still very defensive of it today. But... my issues with the game have nothing to do with the graphics. In fact, they're the best thing about it. The game looked amazing in 2002 and it still does today.

But... a lot of the game is just... tedious. Even with the swift sail. The dungeons are pretty awful, especially the later ones. You know what's fun? Waiting for the tide to rise and fall. Or having to constantly play a song over and over again, watch the animation, switch to another character, rinse repeat a million times. If they really insisted that you play two characters in a dungeon, least they could have done is let you switch between them with a single button press.

The game starts you off on a lovely stealth mission. Metal Gear Solid it is not. By the time you have enough tools from the dungeons to do optional stuff (such as the hammer and arrows), you're almost at the end of the game. Majora's Mask gets poo poo on a lot of being mostly side quests, but most of its side quests were fun. Only a few were terrible, like the frog quest or the stray faeries. It seems like half of the sidequests in Wind Waker are fetch quests, like bringing the water to the Koroks.

Now mind you, I am comparing Majora's Mask 3D with Wind Waker HD. For all I know, the original N64 Majora could be way worse. I don't know, I never got far into that.

I just started Twilight Princess HD yesterday. I actually beat this one on the Wii before, but it's been years. A friend of mine says it's superior to Ocarina (he also loathes Majora's Mask) but I'm just not seeing it. At least not so far. Like Wind Waker, Twilight Princess takes a long while to get going. Ocarina of Time throws you into a dungeon right off the bat and grabs your interest straight from the beginning. Twilight Princess is obviously very, very similar to Ocarina, but I'd still say that OoT is stronger because it's more short and sweet whereas Twilight Princess is the same thing but much bigger.

On a related note, it's interesting that the remakes of Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess change very little, whereas Majora's Mask and the Wind Waker both get huge revamps to fix their problems. And Ocarina is still just as fun today. A Link to the Past and Zelda 1 are still very fun, too.

A Link to the Past and Ocarina are kind of like Alien and Aliens, by the way. Or Mario 3 and Mario World. Chances are, when you ask someone which their favorite is, they'll list one of those and they're both so good that they're both the right answer. Breath of the Wild is up there with LttP and OoT, too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just want them to remake Link's Awakening in the BOTW engine. Just really embrace the whole "stranded on an island" theme while they're at it. Even beef up the shovel mechanics too. Awakening was my first videogame I ever owned and it's been my favorite since day one.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Spanish Manlove posted:

I just want them to remake Link's Awakening in the BOTW engine. Just really embrace the whole "stranded on an island" theme while they're at it. Even beef up the shovel mechanics too. Awakening was my first videogame I ever owned and it's been my favorite since day one.

:getin: I got Oracle of Ages as my childhood Zelda and always loved turning potholing every inch of every screen as a kid looking for treasure.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I just started Twilight Princess HD yesterday. I actually beat this one on the Wii before, but it's been years. A friend of mine says it's superior to Ocarina (he also loathes Majora's Mask) but I'm just not seeing it. At least not so far. Like Wind Waker, Twilight Princess takes a long while to get going. Ocarina of Time throws you into a dungeon right off the bat and grabs your interest straight from the beginning. Twilight Princess is obviously very, very similar to Ocarina, but I'd still say that OoT is stronger because it's more short and sweet whereas Twilight Princess is the same thing but much bigger.

Twilight Princess was by far my least favorite Zelda when it came out, and I took it for a spin recently to see if maybe my memory was being unkind to it but if anything I like it even less now. It's aged far worse than Wind Waker IMO, even with some of WW's clunkier mechanics.

Back to BotW, holy poo poo I just found the wildest easter egg:

So I noticed a mountaintop glowing off in the distance, fortunately I had cleared a shrine on the other side of said mountain already so I was able to warp quickly while it was still night time. I happened across a pond that was surrounded by Blupees (the glowing rabbit thingies), and standing in the middle of the pond was this guy right here:

I managed to snap a pic of it before it disappeared, and this is what the Compendium said:

"Lord of the Mountain:

This noble creature watches over all animals that make their homes in the forest. Legends say this holy creature is a reincarnation of a sage that died on the lands it now protects. It has an acute awareness of its surroundings, so it seldom appears before people. It's sometimes known by its other name, Satori."

I did some digging online and apparently it's literally just an easter egg, and possibly a tribute to Satoru Iwata. I love this game so much. :allears:

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 15, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Here's a stupid Wii U question - I have Skyward Sword for Wii and played it in Wii mode on the Wii U. It looks ugly and not HD at all. Do I have my settings set wrong? If I get Skyward Sword off the Virtual Console, will it look better or is there no difference?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

Here's a stupid Wii U question - I have Skyward Sword for Wii and played it in Wii mode on the Wii U. It looks ugly and not HD at all. Do I have my settings set wrong? If I get Skyward Sword off the Virtual Console, will it look better or is there no difference?

Wii games are not HD.

All Wii games sold through the VC are not HD, either.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'd google or check beforeiplay, but I'm behind a work proxy. What can I get away with selling for rupees? I only know that I need to keep Ancient stuff for upgrades of some kind.

(ed) just occurred to me this question's probably common as hell, sorry :v:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

if you want it in HD your best bet is to get Dolphin up and running if your PC can handle it. There's even tools to rip your own disc so you don't have to resort to :filez:

Only thing is you'll probably have to buy a DolphinBar to get the Motion Plus working but I don't know for sure because I've only ever used an Xbox 360 controller with Dolphin (not Skyward Sword specifically because it requires Motion Plus )

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ciaphas posted:

I'd google or check beforeiplay, but I'm behind a work proxy. What can I get away with selling for rupees? I only know that I need to keep Ancient stuff for upgrades of some kind.

Feel free to sell gems. Some armors use them for upgrades, but it's relatively easy to get more gems whenever you need more.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
Found the last Great Fairy.

I must've ridden past it like 50 times.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ciaphas posted:

Everything I sold batches of caught up when I'd need 15 for an armor upgrade, but there's nothing you can't get back. I wouldn't sell a Giant ancient core if you've come across one.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Feel free to sell gems. Some armors use them for upgrades, but it's relatively easy to get more gems whenever you need more.

Also save the gems for the Gerudo in Goron City, she'll pay more for them

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wii games are not HD.

All Wii games sold through the VC are not HD, either.

Ah, I see. The game just looks ugly after playing BOTW, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess in HD.

It's too bad about those controls, too... are there any fans of Skyward Sword in here or are people correct when they say it's the bad one? Tell me why I should or should not play through it.

I mean, the music is great and Ballad of the Goddess is probably my favorite song in the series. And the cutscenes look nice too. But I played it when it came out and I think the gameplay is just.... not great...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The controls are great in Skyward Sword. It's a shame about the rest of the game.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

The :effort: answer: sell everything you have more than 30x of.

The :spergin: answer: make everything you have more of 30x of into food/elixirs, and sell those.

If you have decent bloodlust/ocd you should have more than enough stuff to sell to be post-scarcity for money.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Back to BotW, holy poo poo I just found the wildest easter egg:

So I noticed a mountaintop glowing off in the distance, fortunately I had cleared a shrine on the other side of said mountain already so I was able to warp quickly while it was still night time. I happened across a pond that was surrounded by Blupees (the glowing rabbit thingies), and standing in the middle of the pond was this guy right here:

You can catch it and ride it too!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Ah, I see. The game just looks ugly after playing BOTW, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess in HD.

It's too bad about those controls, too... are there any fans of Skyward Sword in here or are people correct when they say it's the bad one? Tell me why I should or should not play through it.

I mean, the music is great and Ballad of the Goddess is probably my favorite song in the series. And the cutscenes look nice too. But I played it when it came out and I think the gameplay is just.... not great...

There is some great stuff in SS. Groose becomes one of the most adorable NPCs of all time, the Beetle is a terrific item, especially once fully upgraded, and the Lanayru Time Stones section is sheer brilliance and unfortunately the last land area you can get to.

But there's a hell of a lot of BS too, and unlike TP where it's mostly frontloaded it's in large chunks all through. I'd say it's worth playing through once.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

RCarr posted:

if you feed the dog at the stable in Hebra 3 food items he'll guide you to a chest with a star fragment (use magnesis to pop it out of the ground).

Most dogs just lead you to 100 rupee chests but the goodest of boys find star fragments.

Spanish Manlove posted:

same. so many hours spent roaming around. My mom also played the game and i'd just mess up her progress by going back to the village and getting the bow-wow and having it eat enemies.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Gammatron 64 posted:

I loved it, played it....at least 2 if not 3 times, but then I'm easy to please.

A lot of the NPCs are adorable. Zelda actually has a pretty decent role for once. Groose is the best. The Ancient Cistern, the pirate ship, the dungeon in the past with the time stones I can't remember the name of...all great. And it has one of the best last and second to last boss fights in the series.

My only major complaint about the game is having to fight the Imprisoned so many times. But eventually you get so good at it you can do it in just a couple of minutes, so it's not a big deal.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Skyward sword is a very good game

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Novum posted:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
some part of Skyward Sword are good and some parts are bad.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Novum posted:

I liked playing Skyward, good story/characters, good graphics, nice dungeons. Put a good 40 hours into it. Downsides was the overworld being somewhat limited and the Imprisoned battled rehashing.

Then again, all modern (3D) Zelda games are good games. But most feel like a variation of OoT. I'm really happy that for BotW Nintendo broke away from the 'linear' approach of enter dungeon -> acquire weapon -> beat boss, rinse&repeat.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Dictator. posted:

Then again, all modern (3D) Zelda games are good games. But most feel like a variation of OoT. I'm really happy that for BotW Nintendo broke away from the 'linear' approach of enter dungeon -> acquire weapon -> beat boss, rinse&repeat.

Yeah, instead they changed it to enter dungeon -> beat boss, acquire heroic skill -> rinse & repeat. :v:

Just kidding, I know and deeply appreciate how non-linear BotW is, ad nauseam.

Side point, beating BotW made me get into MM. Is it just me or does MM feel not nearly as fleshed out as OoT was? Is this something generally agreed upon and I'm 17 years late to the party? Or maybe it's been so long since I played OoT it's just as fleshed out and I have a very wrong opinion, which is entirely possible. I am enjoying MM very much, still. Aged unbelievably well for releasing in 2000.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

I loved it, played it....at least 2 if not 3 times, but then I'm easy to please.

A lot of the NPCs are adorable. Zelda actually has a pretty decent role for once. Groose is the best. The Ancient Cistern, the pirate ship, the dungeon in the past with the time stones I can't remember the name of...all great. And it has one of the best last and second to last boss fights in the series.

My only major complaint about the game is having to fight the Imprisoned so many times. But eventually you get so good at it you can do it in just a couple of minutes, so it's not a big deal.

I like the characters in Skyward Sword (i.e. Zelda and Groose) and the music. But it's sooo linear and makes you do the same stuff over and over. Skyward Sword is like the Anti-Breath of the Wild.

yamdankee posted:

Yeah, instead they changed it to enter dungeon -> beat boss, acquire heroic skill -> rinse & repeat. :v:

Just kidding, I know and deeply appreciate how non-linear BotW is, ad nauseam.

Side point, beating BotW made me get into MM. Is it just me or does MM feel not nearly as fleshed out as OoT was? Is this something generally agreed upon and I'm 17 years late to the party? Or maybe it's been so long since I played OoT it's just as fleshed out and I have a very wrong opinion, which is entirely possible. I am enjoying MM very much, still. Aged unbelievably well for releasing in 2000.

Which version are you playing? I played it on 3DS and they made massive changes to it. I could never get into the N64 version, but I really enjoyed it for 3DS.

It should be noted that Majora's Mask is basically like an Ocarina of Time expansion pack. The reason why it's like the movie Groundhog Day is because they had to develop it in a very short amount of time using the engine and assets from Ocarina. That's also why a lot of completely separate characters look identical to ones in Ocarina.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm playing it on the Wii U Virtual Console like a cheap idiot. I know the 3DS version had a lot of changes. And I'm fine with reusing some of the NPCs, that doesn't bother me at all. It just seems like there's less people, less enemies, less to do. Maybe I'm not deep into the game enough at this point (I beat the forest temple and I'm almost into the Snowhead (?) temple). I just seem to remember Kokiri forest as having tons of stuff going on, lots of interaction, water, trees, etc. Lon Lon ranch, lots of other side quests, etc. I feel like MM was kind of like an update for Destiny - fill out this accomplishments book - yay new content! (Bombers book) Know what I mean? I dunno, I could be, and I hope I am, totally wrong. Maybe I need to put more time into MM before making a judgement.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

It was a strange experience to play when it first came out, especially those of us that had already played OoT, for reasons mentioned above. In any other game all those reused assets would have been seen as lazy, but in this case it made the game into a Twilight Zone Zelda that was genuinely unsettling to play at times.

Also, i've been playing through the 3DS version but i haven't noticed any huge changes from the original (apart from the save system, which was a big improvement), what were you referring to?

Edit: like Gammatron said, they only had like a year to make it, so the world is smaller than OoT's (plus only 4 dungeons) but a lot more densely packed if i remember correctly

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 16, 2017

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

i only played MM when it came out on the N64. I remember there being plenty of side quests in the central city, and loved splashing around the ocean as a zora. Never beat the game unfortunately.

The moon-cycle did put some pressure on things and made it feel less 'free' than OoT.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Well I'm never going to get around to getting a WiiU for Skyward Sword, so which of the three archived lets play's would you guys recommend?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Tim Burns Effect posted:

It was a strange experience to play when it first came out, especially those of us that had already played OoT, for reasons mentioned above. In any other game all those reused assets would have been seen as lazy, but in this case it made the game into a Twilight Zone Zelda that was genuinely unsettling to play at times.

Also, i've been playing through the 3DS version but i haven't noticed any huge changes from the original (apart from the save system, which was a big improvement), what were you referring to?

The song of double time lets you pick which hour you want to skip to, instead of always going forward half a day. It cuts out a lot of waiting and tedium.

All of the bosses have been completely redone and have a big eyeball for a weak spot now. A lot of quests, heart pieces and stray faeries are in different places too. It's mostly small tweaks like that, but there's a lot of them.

yamdankee posted:

I'm playing it on the Wii U Virtual Console like a cheap idiot. I know the 3DS version had a lot of changes. And I'm fine with reusing some of the NPCs, that doesn't bother me at all. It just seems like there's less people, less enemies, less to do. Maybe I'm not deep into the game enough at this point (I beat the forest temple and I'm almost into the Snowhead (?) temple). I just seem to remember Kokiri forest as having tons of stuff going on, lots of interaction, water, trees, etc. Lon Lon ranch, lots of other side quests, etc. I feel like MM was kind of like an update for Destiny - fill out this accomplishments book - yay new content! (Bombers book) Know what I mean? I dunno, I could be, and I hope I am, totally wrong. Maybe I need to put more time into MM before making a judgement.

It's definitely a much smaller world, but there's actually more going on in it. There's only 4 dungeons but the game has much more in terms of side quests than Ocarina. A lot of it has to be done at specific times, too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gammatron 64 posted:

It should be noted that Majora's Mask is basically like an Ocarina of Time expansion pack. The reason why it's like the movie Groundhog Day is because they had to develop it in a very short amount of time using the engine and assets from Ocarina. That's also why a lot of completely separate characters look identical to ones in Ocarina.

I believe they had 9 months to make it, loving insane. Also they went out of their way to tweak Cremia for no other reason than to give her bigger tits, though they didn't keep this change for the 3DS remake.

sigher fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

I believe they had 9 months to make it, loving insane. Also they went out of their way to tweak Cremia for no other reason than to give her bigger tits, though they didn't keep this change for the 3DS remake.

I wonder how much of BotW's development was spent on meetings to adjust Zelda's chest. Finding that sweet spot that's all-ages-appropriate but won't cause mass outcry from dipshit misogynists, while maintaining good proportions all around to not make her look ridiculously flat. Perhaps there are a couple hundred Zeldas that ended up in the recycle bin.