Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?

Batterypowered7 posted:

Any of you own a Rogue SML-1?

I got one recently - I've been pretty happy with it. Definitely a step up from the sketchy POS Amazon thing I had before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I have the SML-2 and like it very much also. It's built like a tank and the pullupbar is a nice plus if you have the overhead space for it. Also attaching the dip bar is possible and it's heavy enough that it won't move an inch.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I was trying to decide whether the pull-up bar is worth it or not. I do miss doing them, and I guess it might also be convenient if I want to set up something with a pulley.

Toofusses
Jul 24, 2007
I've had an SML-1 for almost five years and it's been great. I don't have the overhead room for an SML-2 so I just ended up hanging a piece of pipe from the floor joists to serve as a pull up bar. I'd recommend getting the spotter arms and, if you're going to do any work with bands or attach a dip bar, get the floor mounting feet as well. I have the back of the rack weighed down with bumper plates (using the squat stand base storage attachment) and the front screwed into my basement floor with the floor mounting feet and the rack has never budged.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Batterypowered7 posted:

I was trying to decide whether the pull-up bar is worth it or not. I do miss doing them, and I guess it might also be convenient if I want to set up something with a pulley.

You are also able to convert the SML-2 to a half rack or full rack with additional parts if you would ever incline to do so.

Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?
You could probably stick a pull up bar on an SML-1 and get away with it by raising your knees a bit, unless you're freakishly tall.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Rhusitaurion posted:

You could probably stick a pull up bar on an SML-1 and get away with it by raising your knees a bit, unless you're freakishly tall.

Only if its a bar you can easily removed, cause otherwise you'd always have it in the way of your head when setting up for squats.

Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?

Helios Grime posted:

Only if its a bar you can easily removed, cause otherwise you'd always have it in the way of your head when setting up for squats.

... yeah that's a good point. Keep an impact gun next to the rack I guess?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Got a nice 20kg PR on my Deadlift. Even wore a matching tshirt :coolfish:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK5yZ3yFP7R/?igshid=1bgkmwz9s4tzw

Toofusses
Jul 24, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

Got a nice 20kg PR on my Deadlift. Even wore a matching tshirt :coolfish:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK5yZ3yFP7R/?igshid=1bgkmwz9s4tzw

Nice rep! I like the extra long hold at the top.

I see you're using the Stronger by Science 2.0 Hypertrophy template. Would you recommend it? My deadlift has been pretty stagnant for a while.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Toofusses posted:

Nice rep! I like the extra long hold at the top.

I see you're using the Stronger by Science 2.0 Hypertrophy template. Would you recommend it? My deadlift has been pretty stagnant for a while.

Thanks, I mean If I already pulled the drat thing off the ground I needed to get some mileage out of it.

I really liked it and seemed to do wonders for my squat and deadlift, though you really should be ready to eat at least at maintenance if not in a surplus. Also having good sleep hygiene is recommended for recovery.
If you're not used to do some high rep volume work the first weeks can be tough but afterwards you should have adapted to it mostly.
Some YLLS goons are currently running it together and have a thread right now.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952209

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Got a scale. Turns out I'm actually up to 150lb. It's got one of those body fat percentage functions (I know they're not 100% accurate), and it said (estimated?) I'm at 15% body fat. I'd like to knock that down to like 12%, for purely aesthetic reasons, but that'll require a significant change in my diet. Anyone got any good dietary resources to help with that?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Batterypowered7 posted:

Got a scale. Turns out I'm actually up to 150lb. It's got one of those body fat percentage functions (I know they're not 100% accurate), and it said (estimated?) I'm at 15% body fat. I'd like to knock that down to like 12%, for purely aesthetic reasons, but that'll require a significant change in my diet. Anyone got any good dietary resources to help with that?

The general diet and exercise thread in ylls has a good jumping off point in the op for dieting with a specific goal.

A lot of it for you will probably come down to 150-200g of protein a day.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Batterypowered7 posted:

Those impedance scales can be pretty sketchy. I think mine puts me at like 20% or something which I'm pretty sure is way high. I'd go more by what you see in the mirror than the readout on the scale.

That said, what works best for me is straight up weighing and logging all my food. Then I'll start cutting calories by about 100-200 a day until I'm seeing about .5-1 pound of weight loss a week. I like to go very slowly. I shoot for about .8g protein per pound of body weight while in a deficit based on I think Dr. Eric Helm's research suggesting that can be beneficial for preserving muscle. Don't really pay attention to carbs and fats as long as I'm hitting calorie and protein targets. Beyond that drinking lots of water and using fruits and veggies that aren't calorie dense makes it easier to stick to a deficit.

I've seen people say good things about the rp diet templates in this thread but have no experience with them myself.

There's a ton of approaches that can work well, kinda depends on what's easiest for you to stick with.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

VorpalFish posted:

Those impedance scales can be pretty sketchy. I think mine puts me at like 20% or something which I'm pretty sure is way high. I'd go more by what you see in the mirror than the readout on the scale.

That said, what works best for me is straight up weighing and logging all my food. Then I'll start cutting calories by about 100-200 a day until I'm seeing about .5-1 pound of weight loss a week. I like to go very slowly. I shoot for about .8g protein per pound of body weight while in a deficit based on I think Dr. Eric Helm's research suggesting that can be beneficial for preserving muscle. Don't really pay attention to carbs and fats as long as I'm hitting calorie and protein targets. Beyond that drinking lots of water and using fruits and veggies that aren't calorie dense makes it easier to stick to a deficit.

I've seen people say good things about the rp diet templates in this thread but have no experience with them myself.

There's a ton of approaches that can work well, kinda depends on what's easiest for you to stick with.

the rp diets are similar to what you've described, but are very strict with protein intake to maintain muscle mass. Just got finished with 3 months of coaching and i was doing 1g protein per pound body weight split between 6 intakes.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Thanks for the replies, Goons. Anyone got a good tip for peeling hardboiled eggs more easily? Lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah just start logging your food first off.

Get a dexa scan IMO if you can because those scales are whack.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Batterypowered7 posted:

Thanks for the replies, Goons. Anyone got a good tip for peeling hardboiled eggs more easily? Lol

Use older eggs

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

Put them in ice water before peeling (If your hands can handle it, peel them right in the water)

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

The secret to peeling a hardboiled egg is to put a small hole in the top and bottom of the shell, put your mouth on one end, and blow it right out the other hole.

Don't do this with soft boiled eggs.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What a disgusting secret

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

moctopus posted:

The secret to peeling a hardboiled egg is to put a small hole in the top and bottom of the shell, put your mouth on one end, and blow it right out the other hole.

Don't do this with soft boiled eggs.

TotalLossBrain posted:

What a disgusting secret

Lmao! I thought I was getting trolled, but it's an actual thing!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arcane traditional knowledge passed down from grandchild to grandmother

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Instant pot -> straight to ice water seems to work well for me.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

steaming the eggs rather than hard boiling works well too. They taste pretty much the same but peel slightly more easily.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

steaming the eggs rather than hard boiling works well too. They taste pretty much the same but peel slightly more easily.

Are steamed eggs just what they call hardboiled eggs in Albany?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Are steamed eggs just what they call hardboiled eggs in Albany?

If you have an insta pot you can do it in there. Just use the little rack it came with and make them in there.

I’ve found they peel so much easier too.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

145lb x1 on the OHP! Hurray!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

145lb x1 on the OHP! Hurray!

Nice that’s a great one!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I finished a program! This is cool and good because I'd been a program hopper for a while now. But I did all eight weeks of "Simple Strength for Difficult Times Part 1" from StrongFirst. All three lifts went up 4kg at the end of the program. I'll be starting something new on Monday.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Deadlifted a single today at 504 pounds. First time pulling over 500! Feels good, even though it took me forever to get past 494.

Smooth enough I think maybe 515 or 520 was there too.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

I finished a program! This is cool and good because I'd been a program hopper for a while now. But I did all eight weeks of "Simple Strength for Difficult Times Part 1" from StrongFirst. All three lifts went up 4kg at the end of the program. I'll be starting something new on Monday.

Congratulations! Good luck with your new program. I'm sure it'll be easier to stick to it now that you've succeeded with one.

VorpalFish posted:

Deadlifted a single today at 504 pounds. First time pulling over 500! Feels good, even though it took me forever to get past 494.

Smooth enough I think maybe 515 or 520 was there too.

Congratulations! 515 is definitely there and you can do it!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

275 x 7 squats for my last set. I probably could have done more, but I'm closer to three plates!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Did you already do 315 for a single?
Cause if you can do 7 reps with 275 for your last set you could definitely do 315 for a single.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I've been a real bitch baby about adding more weight to the bar for the squat and the bench until I get a safer setup, so I have not attempted 315 at all. My current setups doesn't have any spotter arms (if I remember the instructions correctly, is supposed to hold a max of 300lb) and I'm lifting in the spare bedroom of our apartment (closing on a house next month though, woo!), so I don't have a way I'm comfortable setting down the bar if I can't get out of the hole. I had actually been avoiding 275 for longer than I should have and was pleasantly surprised when I risked it today and it felt just as easy as the set at 265 before it.

E: The pending change in the housing situation is why I was asking about the SML-1 Rogue 70" Monster Lite Squat Stand recently.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 23, 2021

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
That's awesome, in your first post itt you were squatting 185.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Cafe Barbarian posted:

That's awesome, in your first post itt you were squatting 185.

Huh, that's really neat how the thread has become sort of a record where you can look back and see how far you've come without realizing it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bothered taking a video of the squat this time. Did three sets today, but I was pretty beat so I only got four reps out of the last one:

https://youtu.be/ZFv0cYZLP4o

I'm pretty happy with the depth and I can definitely do more weight for fewer reps next time if I try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Bothered taking a video of the squat this time. Did three sets today, but I was pretty beat so I only got four reps out of the last one:

https://youtu.be/ZFv0cYZLP4o

I'm pretty happy with the depth and I can definitely do more weight for fewer reps next time if I try.

Looks really good! I don’t know how you do that on carpet though