Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
At the very least I cant imagine playing stellaris without 1080p mod. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Shugojin posted:

I can't imagine playing it without guili's planet modifiers, it basically just adds more poo poo to find when you're surveying.

Is it balanced? Someone said a while ago that it adds crazy poo poo like planets with 500% borders.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Bold Robot posted:

Is it balanced? Someone said a while ago that it adds crazy poo poo like planets with 500% borders.

Those are extremely rare. You're much more likely to find things like a planet that lets you make giant spider armies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shugojin posted:

I can't imagine playing it without guili's planet modifiers, it basically just adds more poo poo to find when you're surveying.

Yeah if I was going to recommend one mod it'd be that one as it just adds so much to the game and gives you some great late game objectives too when you find a precursor world that needs terraforming from an uninhabitable rock.

Also yeah the really crazy modifiers are rare enough that they just make you really want to get that planet, it gives you really good stuff to fight over that you can't get any other way. It's balanced in that while the planets are really good they're also randomly placed so they're balanced in the way a derelict ringworld is balanced.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ShootaBoy posted:

loving really? What the hell is the logic behind that? Some custom names aren't gonna do jack to change the game.

It's literally just that they keep name lists under the same folder as a ton of other game rules, and changing anything in that folder will change the checksum and disable achievements. I imagine that Paradox could fix this but I can't imagine it's high on their priority list.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gort posted:

What's good?

A mod that adds autoexplore at start, because I don't do chores when I'm playing videogames.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You shouldn't start playing Stellaris with autoexplore. You should explore manually. It's a big part of the game for new players that is worn down via repetition for experienced players.

Dr. Gibletron
Oct 27, 2010
So should I pick up the Utopia expansion? I've read that they're going to include a bunch of its features in the 2.0 update

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well you're getting the basics of ascension perks but not really much of the content.

Dr. Gibletron
Oct 27, 2010
Is the content worth it? I'm a sucker for flavour content

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah, they're really only including a tiny amount of it, enough to integrate the system into the base game. You won't actually be getting any Ascension stuff, just the alternates, and probably not most of them. Utopia also has the megastructures, habitats, Syncretic starts, Hive Minds, and using conquered populaces as livestock.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The ascension perks are pretty baller mostly, yeah

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dr. Gibletron posted:

The unincluded content includes allowing you to start as a hive mind, or uploading your species into robots, or causing an empire-wide psychic awakening. Also megastructures. Also genetically engineering other species to be more delicious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dr. Gibletron posted:

The rest of the perks are basically a large part of your late game empire-changing progression so I would say so?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Dr. Gibletron posted:

I said this downthread a little, but I still hold to my ranking system. If you're going to do Stellaris DLC, in order of game impact it is:

Utopia > Leviathans > Synthetic Dawn > Cosmetic Packs (Plantoids and Humanoids)

Edit:
While both Leviathans and Synthetic Dawn are "content packs," Leviathans has broader and more impactful extra content. In particular, enclaves are game changers. Synthetic Dawn adds content, but it's more focused and less globally applicable.

Utopia, in contrast, is a full on expansion pack and compared to the first two lives up to the name.

Plantoids and Humanoids are "just" cosmetics. I like them, both because they're pretty and because it adds more visual diversity into a game that needs it, but they're ignorable in a gameplay perspective.

Conskill fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 9, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I think leviathans is a lot less mechanically sound than Utopia. AEs are clunky and the Trading Enclave can pretty much break the game with habitats.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Bold Robot posted:

It's quite balanced if I may say so. Balance is always a hard thing to do so sometimes something might be a bit too good at first. I do listen to everyone's feedback and see from there.
The strongest border expansion modifier was 200% on a rare precursor world. That got reduced to 100% for 1.9 and with 2.0 all modifiers with border extrusion bonuses will be reworked.

If anything is too good in my mod that the AI doesn't properly use I will nerf it.
I'm ok with some really strong stuff as the AI benefits from those as well. If something is too good for the human player that the AI has no clue how to use then I will look into that. I also make sure starting systems don't have any of the rare good modifiers to keep starts balanced.

Feel free to try out the mod for a game, you can always turn it off if you don't like it. :) Do let me know what you didn't like so I can keep improving it!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aww I'm kinda sad you nerfed it cos it was really loving funny taking one of those planets and having half the spiral arm flip to your colours.

Possibly a bit silly yes but funny as hell :v:

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Conskill posted:

Edit:
While both Leviathans and Synthetic Dawn are "content packs," Leviathans has broader and more impactful extra content. In particular, enclaves are game changers. Synthetic Dawn adds content, but it's more focused and less globally applicable.

I generally agree with your lineup, but SD had one global highlight. The MVP broadly applicable feature of SD is the ethic flavored robot assistant voices. I fuckin love those things.

"They can talk! And they want to talk to us!"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You shouldn't start playing Stellaris with autoexplore. You should explore manually. It's a big part of the game for new players that is worn down via repetition for experienced players.

I completely disagree. I feel like exploring manually should be treated the same way I treat it in Civ 4: reserved for a first game, and when I'm leveraging game knowledge to eke a little more out of the first turn. And even then, there's so little you can do to optimize exploration that it's mostly a waste of effort.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Is there a good beginner's guide anywhere? The ingame tutorial is pretty useless for anything beyond how the UI works.
Every game I've played so far has fallen into the same pattern of "neighbor empire that hates you for existing rolls over you with a stack that's 3x your entire fleet" and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Anime Reference posted:

Is there a good beginner's guide anywhere? The ingame tutorial is pretty useless for anything beyond how the UI works.
Every game I've played so far has fallen into the same pattern of "neighbor empire that hates you for existing rolls over you with a stack that's 3x your entire fleet" and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

They've made a beginner series stream.
https://youtu.be/sX6UPpiIras

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

wiegieman posted:

I completely disagree. I feel like exploring manually should be treated the same way I treat it in Civ 4: reserved for a first game, and when I'm leveraging game knowledge to eke a little more out of the first turn. And even then, there's so little you can do to optimize exploration that it's mostly a waste of effort.

I will probably want to manually prioritize the exploration of my immediate surroundings, but I will probably be done wanting to direct my survey ships before I am done with the research and there's no value being added by gating this.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

For anyone just starting the game, minerals are hands down the most valuable resource for the first 10-20 years. Survey your borders and nearby systems that you can claim with a colony / outpost for minerals and get them ASAP. No matter what your strategy will be, you'll need more minerals to fund it. Get on it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I get the intent. In your first game stepping out into the universe for the first time should be a big deal. Manually sending your first ship to a new system, finding your first anomaly, scanning your first habitable planet, all add to the sense of wonder and exploration and discovery in a way that clicking a "go explore now thanks" button doesn't. Sending a guy to look at a thing and seeing the results isn't the same experience as having the results occasionally just appear, and I think my initial game experience wouldn't have been as good with auto explore from the start.

The manual exploration phase still adds to the game for me, but because I know the game and the kind of stuff I'll find better the point where I want to get a little more hands off is now well before the game actually lets me. It'd be great if it was set up in the most best way for both new and old players, but if it's an either/or I prefer the one that gives the best first time play experience.

I think there's probably a better solution than the current one though.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I just had the AI uprising event fire for the first time in all my playtime. The lead up chain was interesting, I wonder if they added more events with the Synthetic Dawn expansion.

I was a Fanatic Spiritual Empire that only used robotic workers and outlawed AI, but apparently conquering nearby Materialist empires with droids/synths and picking up their Sentient AI from researching wrecks is enough AI to start the chain. The timing was fantastic too, I was midway through a war with an Awakened Fallen Empire, so all my fleets rushed back home as I tried to retake all the worlds before I ran out of resources.

I wish I had a save before it fired because I might want to split off to the Synthetic side but it is not going to be fun fighting my former fleet which probably had like 6x the total fleet power. It's really great that even after several hundred hours in this game, there's new stuff to see on playthroughs.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

OGS-Remix posted:

I just had the AI uprising event fire for the first time in all my playtime. The lead up chain was interesting, I wonder if they added more events with the Synthetic Dawn expansion.

I was a Fanatic Spiritual Empire that only used robotic workers and outlawed AI, but apparently conquering nearby Materialist empires with droids/synths and picking up their Sentient AI from researching wrecks is enough AI to start the chain. The timing was fantastic too, I was midway through a war with an Awakened Fallen Empire, so all my fleets rushed back home as I tried to retake all the worlds before I ran out of resources.

I wish I had a save before it fired because I might want to split off to the Synthetic side but it is not going to be fun fighting my former fleet which probably had like 6x the total fleet power. It's really great that even after several hundred hours in this game, there's new stuff to see on playthroughs.

Wait what? You can switch sides in that event? I don't remember that option

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

gowb posted:

Wait what? You can switch sides in that event? I don't remember that option

Yeah, when the event fires the dialogue box gives you two options. Sticking with the original empire is like "We will fight back" while switching is "The age of organics is over".

Picking the second should give you control over the newly created empire.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I asked this in the discord but I will ask it here as well. I just started this morning and thought I was doing okay. I went a bit more aggressive then I probably should and started war with another empire nearby and everything seemed to be going fine until suddenly they launched a navy twice the size of mine despite the fact that they only had one space port.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

I asked this in the discord but I will ask it here as well. I just started this morning and thought I was doing okay. I went a bit more aggressive then I probably should and started war with another empire nearby and everything seemed to be going fine until suddenly they launched a navy twice the size of mine despite the fact that they only had one space port.

Were you near your own naval limit? The AI likes to go over it when a human player is near.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nickiepoo posted:

Were you near your own naval limit? The AI likes to go over it when a human player is near.

I was at my limit.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Against the AI I typically trade for an active sensor link if at all possible to find out their actual strength and composition before I declare war.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So any other AI tricks I should be aware off?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's not really an AI trick in a game-rules sort of way; Naval Capacity is more of a guideline than a rule. The AI is right to build over it with a player nearby if they can afford it, and you should too.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The usual stumble for new players in the early game is just not building up minerals hard enough. It's not as bad as it used to be, but its still very important to focus on minerals early on.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

I was at my limit.

Yeah, the limit is a soft limit, not a hard one. It only increases your maintenance costs, which you can still deal with in various ways. You can easily build up over your naval cap if you're feeling threatened, and you should - the AI definitely will.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

If I'm at my limit and I get declared war on by someone of similar strength to me I will immediately set all my starports building additional ships. You can afford to go over the limit for a short period of time, and you are guaranteed to lose ships in battle and this way you get reinforced much faster if they're already under construction.

Don't forget you can drain resources from sectors in the event of war and use their starports for ship construction.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You hate new people a lot.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dr. Gibletron posted:

One part of the content introduces an endgame event that if you're dedicated and lucky you can trigger at least 50 years earlier than any other end. It also doesn't count as an end, so you can trigger it after one of the other events starts to get twice the horrible space monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chalks posted:

If I'm at my limit and I get declared war on by someone of similar strength to me I will immediately set all my starports building additional ships. You can afford to go over the limit for a short period of time, and you are guaranteed to lose ships in battle and this way you get reinforced much faster if they're already under construction.

Don't forget you can drain resources from sectors in the event of war and use their starports for ship construction.

Also, very important to remember: do not queue up a lot of ships at one starport, queue up 1-2 at LOTS of starports. Unless they're corvettes, then they build so fast it doesn't matter anyways, but if you're massing battleships, queue up two at a time at every planet you own and you'll suddenly get a fight-worthy fleet right away.

What is Threat based on? Just fleet strength/empire size? I've got a constant -989 threat modifier to every other empire, even ones I never declared on(until recently because they boxed in one of my empire offshoots and I couldn't get a fleet I built out of there without doing so) and it doesn't seem to change no matter what.

• Locked thread