Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I was real bad at the Flash one but had fun, then I got the remake version and my brother also got it and started playing, and he was doing okay so I kinda made it sort of a thing to not get THAT far behind him? I don't remember how my first runs went on either versions, but it was probably Basement 2 and a death at Mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kurtofan posted:

great design

How would you design it? The idea of the challenge is that you start at the end and end at the start.

To end the game with three hearts you have to either start with three hearts or lose hearts over time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How would you design it? The idea of the challenge is that you start at the end and end at the start.

To end the game with three hearts you have to either start with three hearts or lose hearts over time.

you lose a life but get to the other side

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015
Was trying to like this dlc but just lost the very hard challenge due to the third boss being big horn and 2 champion little horns. The challenge is hard enough without it pulling crap like that. Time to restart until I get quad shot tech x on the first floor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://puu.sh/tfwaD/7d502cdde7.webm

The suit now properly gives you the soul heart on each new floor. Still no luck with the tear firing pattern. Maybe it'd help to look at other peoples' familiar mods and see how they made it shoot?? Or maybe it uses an entirely different set of code.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

AB+ is fun, good main game expansion, but Greedier mode is some of the worst poo poo I have ever seen. How are you even supposed to win it without playing as Lilith or a broke rear end Eden?

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Oh for gently caress's sake. I forgot the Void forgets the items you've collected if you quit mid-run. I had Smelter and Dad's Key and all kinds of awesome stuff but I lost it all because I took a break with the run.

There goes my Mega Satan marker. :sigh:

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Psychedelicatessen posted:

AB+ is fun, good main game expansion, but Greedier mode is some of the worst poo poo I have ever seen. How are you even supposed to win it without playing as Lilith or a broke rear end Eden?

Step on the button if things get hairy. That seems to work for me.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Under what circumstances will killing Mom take you directly to the Void? This was my first momkill after unlocking Void.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Was doing the pong challenge and came across compost in the shop. Bought it out of curiosity and used it in a room full of poop. Hello spiders! Hello sack boy! By the end of the run I couldn't suck up any more consumables because I had the max number of spiders at all times and they would take out everything in 1 hit.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
What's the general strategy for Greedier mode? I was able to play and beat greed mode back then with all the characters but greedier mode is just kicking my rear end left and right. :(

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GNHG
QWPR

If you want a good run that involves Soy Milk. My damage output at this point is loving absurd.

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015

Ryuga Death posted:

What's the general strategy for Greedier mode? I was able to play and beat greed mode back then with all the characters but greedier mode is just kicking my rear end left and right. :(

Restart till u get a dps upgrade straight away. Then pray for pyro.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Tullius posted:

Restart till u get a dps upgrade straight away. Then pray for pyro.

Which items are considered to be a dps upgrade? Is it just items that raise damage?

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015

Ryuga Death posted:

Which items are considered to be a dps upgrade? Is it just items that raise damage?

Any dmg upgrade yeah. I found tears alone weren't sufficient to get me thru the first floor. If u get bad luck like the stone fatties tho u might be screwed either way. Gotta get lots of dmg tho before too long or the later floors gently caress ya when they spew out four waves in like 10 seconds.

When I did it I got blood of the martyr in the first room if that helps

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I was playing with the new char seeing if I could get some sweet unlocks going on and accidentally fell into a breaking run. Ended up with brimstone and found a refresh in the store so hey sure. Oh steam sale for 3 cent soul hearts perfect we're good to survive to the end!

I came across a second steam sale in a secret room when Greed spawned which made all items 0. Sitting for a bit I basically had every single item in the game on me since Chaos is in the shop pool. Of course I duplicated everything in there and tried to suck it all up with the void. Unsurprisingly the game crashed hard.

It was pretty insane and after getting Mega Satan the portal popped so I got 4 unlocks in 1 run!

I didn't even have to fire a single shot off because my bombs were blasting red crap everywhere which brought flies out and decimated everything. 10/10 would run again. Is there a way after a run is over to see what seed it was on? I neglected to grab it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I forgot how I did Greed mode as the Lost and I really don't wanna do it again for Greedier :smith:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The champion brownie that shits dozens of drowned silk worms everywhere is peak 'we have no idea what we're doing here just throw some bullshit in'.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AnonSpore posted:

I forgot how I did Greed mode as the Lost and I really don't wanna do it again for Greedier :smith:

Still not as bad as Hush.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What's the MLG pro strat to start Greedier mode? Is it "reset item room for +damage" or should you also check the spike-door-room before resetting or what?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What's the MLG pro strat to start Greedier mode? Is it "reset item room for +damage" or should you also check the spike-door-room before resetting or what?

Strat: "Wait until it's rebalanced to not be a nightmare, through mods or not"

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if i want a mostly guaranteed clear, i go for a breaking item (d6, d20) in the shop right away, and also bomb pots for swallowed penny (which is the safest strat for keeper since he starts with a bomb anyway)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Strat: "Wait until it's rebalanced to not be a nightmare, through mods or not"
I gave up after waiting for this first patch, although his failure to fix the Blastocyst room means there will be a second sometime reasonably soon that might do it.

Zo posted:

if i want a mostly guaranteed clear, i go for a breaking item (d6, d20) in the shop right away, and also bomb pots for swallowed penny (which is the safest strat for keeper since he starts with a bomb anyway)
I didn't even think of fishing for Swallowed Penny - although I'm sure I would have once I got around to Keeper, he's dead last on the list. So thanks for that!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

AnonSpore posted:

Turns out all I needed was a blank card, two of diamonds and a chaos card!

(Greed mode really sucks)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Do people somewhere actually play co-op mode? It feels like there is so drat much content for that and I've never even heard of anyone playing it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So is The Haunt supposed to just end Isaac on floor 1? I've only fought him before with guys that actually do damage.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

kater posted:

So is The Haunt supposed to just end Isaac on floor 1? I've only fought him before with guys that actually do damage.
There are movement patterns that make it way less awful - you could watch how the big streamers do it, for instance - but basically yeah it's difficult until you get the hang of the little ghost shitters. Once you get to the Haunt itself it's pretty simple, but the two ghosts are fast and bouncy.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Haunt ghosts can be pricks depending on their patterns, but you can kill them before they kill you with Isaac (I think it takes 6 shots per ghost). I'm still not sure WHAT'S their movement pattern, I just circle around and shoot, reacting to any quick turns or shots.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd rather fight the haunt than Rag man on the first floor any day. At least the haunt doesn't take forever to kill.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

those little ghosts make weird loving swerves when they get close so its sometimes easiest to dodge them by running in a straight line.

i don't have a ton of problems with haunt but it is annoying, but i would rather fight it than rag man every single time.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

gently caress Ragman forever, especially on the first floor. I fought him earlier with Isaac and he's just such a pain in the rear end. He constantly had three spiders up because apparently I only ever managed to kill one of the two he spawns and not the head-that-turns-into-a-spider. He is also a HP sponge which just annoys me in any enemy in any game.

His homing shots feel like they home about 1000% more than any other homing shots in the game. Strangely enough it always feels like homing shots fired by enemies home a lot more than any homing shots I fart out with spoonbender which might as well be called "just turns your tears purple but doesn't actually do anything".

No, I'm not salty :mad:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

abraxas posted:

Strangely enough it always feels like homing shots fired by enemies home a lot more than any homing shots I fart out with spoonbender which might as well be called "just turns your tears purple but doesn't actually do anything".
They totally do, but I don't know if that's because I as a human being aim my shots better than the enemy AI does in the first place, which means that they need to home less, you know?

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

PSA: beating Greedier mode with a character does not unlock their Greed mode reward.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Boss in caves with Sister Vis and Lokii. Yes, two Is lokii.

Even with AB+ free, I still feel like I paid too much.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do people somewhere actually play co-op mode? It feels like there is so drat much content for that and I've never even heard of anyone playing it.
I exclusively play co-op since I'm bored with BoI but it's the only thing my partner wants to play :v:

There are some co-op strategies you can pull off e.g. swallowed penny/piggybank + at least 2.5 red hearts + rainbow poop baby = Infinite money, but you're not missing much.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Pants Donkey posted:

Boss in caves with Sister Vis and Lokii. Yes, two Is lokii.

Even with AB+ free, I still feel like I paid too much.

How did you get AB+ for free?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They totally do, but I don't know if that's because I as a human being aim my shots better than the enemy AI does in the first place, which means that they need to home less, you know?

Most enemy tears travel the entire distance of the screen before falling, Isaac often has tears that fall much quicker. The shorter the range the less chance to home around a bunch.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Was just playing Afterbirth (not +) and never saw this before: after defeating Mom a cave lead into a big room with a major item in each corner; when I picked one I had to face maybe sixteen bosses two at a time. I was doing the Slow Roll challenge with plenty of soul hearts so it was pretty easy, but if that had been an average game it would've been ridiculously hard! I didn't even get an achievement or item unlock.

So what exactly is the point of that room? It's a pretty intense challenge for essentially no reward, unless I'm missing something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You don't get the rewards of it on challenges, but each character has 2 unlocks tied to the boss rush room (one for normal and one for hard mode). You open the way to it by defeating Mom in under 20 minutes from when you start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

snoremac posted:

Was just playing Afterbirth (not +) and never saw this before: after defeating Mom a cave lead into a big room with a major item in each corner; when I picked one I had to face maybe sixteen bosses two at a time. I was doing the Slow Roll challenge with plenty of soul hearts so it was pretty easy, but if that had been an average game it would've been ridiculously hard! I didn't even get an achievement or item unlock.

So what exactly is the point of that room? It's a pretty intense challenge for essentially no reward, unless I'm missing something.

It's the boss rush room, you open it by killing mom in less than 20 minutes. There's a bunch of unlocks for clearing it with each character.

If you use a teleport card you can snag an item and get out without fighting all those boss waves. :ssh: