Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how long does trump go to jail for?
life
no jail time
elected president from a jail cell
goku
View Results

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
One of our fellow posters in recovery occasionally gets their phone for a sec to pay bills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

god drat this is a dumb rear end country

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

why is jd vance there

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

ArmedZombie posted:

why is jd vance there

also Tommy Tumbledumb

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

kakotheres posted:

One of our fellow posters in recovery occasionally gets their phone for a sec to pay bills

hell yeah

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

ArmedZombie posted:

why is jd vance there

he thinks he's going to be vice trumo

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

UFOTacoMan posted:

he thinks he's going to be vice trumo

it occurs to me that he won't be able to find a non-entity like Pence again and he might get sick of his vp before the election lol

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Vance spent hours practicing that pose in the mirror. fake person

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

mistermojo posted:

Vance spent hours practicing that pose in the mirror. fake person

That's what William Burroughs said, a person who looks the same all the time is a "person impersonator"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cage gonna gamble away them Sony dollars in like a weekend

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

kakotheres posted:

lmao

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

or maybe it was Carlos Castaneda, I get muddled a lot when I think about stuff I read in the 80s

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Uh oh. Some of this doesn't sound good!

quote:

When sociologist Margaret Hagerman set out to interview middle-schoolers about their ideology and politics in 2017, she asked each child the same series of questions, warming them up with a few softballs — “What’s your neighborhood like?” and “Do people put up a lot of political signs?” — before moving on to “How did you feel after the presidential election?” and, later, “Some people say there’s a lot of racial tension in America right now. What do you think?”

She still remembers the afternoon when she sat across the table from an 11-year-old girl named Cammie. (All the subjects’ names in Hagerman’s research are pseudonyms.) The two could hear basketballs bouncing on a nearby court as Cammie answered the racial-tension question by critiquing the Black Lives Matter movement for picking on police officers who are just trying to help “us.” Cammie, who is white, told Hagerman she celebrated with her parents the morning after Trump’s election. “I am happy because Trump will look out for people like us,” she said. It was the second time the girl used that word — us.

“I mean, the assumption is whiteness,” Hagerman says.

Cammie turned out to be just one of many in that last cohort who were unbothered by Trump’s overtly racist statements.

“Trump is racist, but I don’t really care,” she told Hagerman. Simon, a 13-year-old in Massachusetts, said he thought Trump seemed racist sometimes but “that was not a good enough reason to dislike him.” Of racial tension in America, Grace, 12, said, “I honestly think it’s fine. I don’t really care.” In Massachusetts, Nathaniel, 11, said, “Yeah, I don’t pay attention to that stuff … Racism doesn’t, like, really like, affect me. I don’t like to think about it.” Though each child was interviewed alone, common refrains emerged. “Listening to kids express dehumanizing racist ideas and think they’re normal really concern me,” says Hagerman.

Hagerman’s interviews with children of color suggested many had noticed the shift in their white peers’ attitudes since Trump took office. Dominick, an 11-year-old in Massachusetts, told Hagerman that a girl in gym class said, “You’re a slave ’cause you’re Black.” And Devion, also 11 and Black, said white students at his school had called him the N-word and shouted “Build the wall!” Mariana, a 10-year-old with an undocumented parent, said of Trump, “He’s trying to kick us out.” That us again but this time connoting a shared victimization. Multiple Black children also experienced the rejection inherent in Trump’s rhetoric as deportation anxiety, telling Hagerman they worried he would send them to Africa.

Some white kids noted an uptick in their peers’ racist behavior too, but typically not those who attended predominantly white schools. Those kids “were just carrying on … completely not even worried about that,” Hagerman says. Kids chanted “Build the wall” at Katie’s middle school in Mississippi, an event she called “funny.” And on a school playground, white kids played a game in which some pretended to be ICE officers chasing down peers who posed as immigrants trying to cross the border. Another set of white kids chanted, “Trump! Trump! Trump!” as they pretended to construct a wall at recess. When Hagerman asked pro-Trump white kids about racism, many of them laughed.

Many of her students were middle-schoolers during Trump’s presidency, just like Hagerman’s study subjects. They’ll be eligible to vote in their first presidential election in November.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/racism-trump-margaret-hagerman.html

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

people doing research into stuff that everybody already knows is real and true

Kopmala
Mar 28, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

I posted this yesterday, but everyone was engaged with JK Rowling's trolling. They ate it up hook, line, and sinker.

Kopmala
Mar 28, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

kakotheres posted:

god rehab was the worst

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
when it's time to post

https://twitter.com/michibot1/status/1790358935897342442

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

man I really loved the real Iron Chef, especially Chen

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

very christian upbringing

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

there was that one time that Chen made something and one of the judges, I think it was the lady who was a fortune teller, told Chen that he usually cooked good food but that dish was absolutely terrible. Poor Chen.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ArmedZombie posted:

very christian upbringing

She interviewed kids in Mississippi and Massachusetts
who is surprised by these results

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

She interviewed kids in Mississippi and Massachusetts
who is surprised by these results

could've been anywhere really

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

white people are trash who knew

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Perhaps a good companion book to "Dying of Whiteness"

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

emfive posted:

man I really loved the real Iron Chef, especially Chen

enjoy https://www.youtube.com/@FilmRiseTelevision/playlists

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

more like skip to the end

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Kopmala posted:

I posted this yesterday, but everyone was engaged with JK Rowling's trolling.

Trolling is intended to make the trollee look stupid, not the troller

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

People like Andrew Tate and Ben Shapiro are big Youtube with tween boys, this country is turbofucked (but it always was)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

if this poo poo was real i'd already know about it

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

white people are trash who knew

when I was 8 and we moved from New Jersey to Texas (no wait, 7) I was very surprised at all the n-word stuff I heard. Then again I don't remember a single non-white kid in the elementary school I was in back in New Jersey. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. (Hillview Elementary in Pompton Plains NJ if you want to add to your spreadsheet about me)

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

A demon succed me off?!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

emfive posted:

when I was 8 and we moved from New Jersey to Texas (no wait, 7) I was very surprised at all the n-word stuff I heard. Then again I don't remember a single non-white kid in the elementary school I was in back in New Jersey. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. (Hillview Elementary in Pompton Plains NJ if you want to add to your spreadsheet about me)

I moved from southern california to alabama in 1992

reading that article made me go, “yeah…?”

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

i am harry posted:

I moved from southern california to alabama in 1992

reading that article made me go, “yeah…?”

I lived very briefly in Phoenix and the anti-Native racism was amazing

when we lived in Santa Clara my wife worked at a day care with another young woman who did not like the "g**kie" kids

basically people suck

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Lived in Massachusetts my whole life.

The most racist/sexist liberal state in the country for sure.

Growing up around the North End was like ...

I have literally heard things like "Yeah, he might be a n****, but he's OUR N****" and poo poo like that.

The amount of cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy I grew up with is NUTS.

"I'm not racist, but why are you listening to these no-talent animal jungle music guys, they aren't musicians, they kill each other in the street" - my father, driving me to school at like 8 years old while I'm listening to RUN-DMC....

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

lol

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

I grew up in New Jersey attending a Catholic school where the teachers (mostly nuns) told us that Jesus loves everyone regardless of color.

It didn't stop astonishingly rude things being said about Mexicans at recess. To some degree, kids just like doing forbidden stuff! Having Trump cheering them on can't hurt their budding sense of racism, though.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

margaret haberman ur telling me for the very first time ...

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

metavisual posted:

Lived in Massachusetts my whole life.

The most racist/sexist liberal state in the country for sure.

Growing up around the North End was like ...

I have literally heard things like "Yeah, he might be a n****, but he's OUR N****" and poo poo like that.

The amount of cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy I grew up with is NUTS.

"I'm not racist, but why are you listening to these no-talent animal jungle music guys, they aren't musicians, they kill each other in the street" - my father, driving me to school at like 8 years old while I'm listening to RUN-DMC....

jesus christ.

I grew up in MI and went to catholic schools. there was plenty of bog standard white racism, but jesus even among those idiots that would have been a "woah, buddy, take it easy" moment. Only the total weirdos were that open about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

kaleedity posted:

margaret haberman ur telling me for the very first time ...

I tear at sociologist Margaret Hagerman's face. It's a mask and comes right off! I stare in astonishment...

"Maggie Haberman?!"