Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

FGO also has a shitload of undeveloped characters though

Sure, but they've worked on that over time. Characters who didn't do anything of note the first time they showed up (like Spartacus and Jing Ke) get more notable appearances later on where they actually have some life to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Waffleman_ posted:

Joker Is You

I am THOU art I ... ... ok i dunno where to take this gag further

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
JOK
ER

IS

TH
OU

AND

I

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

Sure, but they've worked on that over time. Characters who didn't do anything of note the first time they showed up (like Spartacus and Jing Ke) get more notable appearances later on where they actually have some life to them.

Probably the best example of how strong FGO's writing and characterization has become is how Cursed-Arm Hassan went from 'spooky skeleman who barely even has screentime in the only route he's even in' to 'A character so explicitly considered trustworthy by the protagonist and their allies that when a shapeshifter has to choose a disguise to get close to them, they pick Cursed-Arm seemingly without having to think about it.'

The Cursed-Arm Hassan Characterization Train started with his interlude and it has refused to stop at any point.

Meanwhile Sasaki has gone from Gate Meme to Dragon Meme and then nothing happened until Shimosa confirmed that he is all but indistinguishable from the 'real' Sasaki Kojiro.

Gulping Again fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 29, 2019

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I finished the second Palace this weekend. I did not care for the boss battle one bit. I was like nearly done when an attack made Morgana vulnerable to every damage type. They used that to knock him out and then used the One Mores to KO each of my remaining party members one-by-one. I went from 4 characters at like 50-80% HP to complete wipe without being able to do a thing about it. I get that making mistakes in this game can cause a cascade of bad things but I didn't even really make any mistakes!

The second try RNG was on my side and I kept my party topped off HP-wise at all times and it was easy-peasy. I wonder though if I'm underleveled because when I check what other people are doing it shows an average level of 18 or 19 and I'm at like 17.

I absolutely loathe Yusuke and I am never gonna use him again if I can help it. Ryuji is the truest bro and the only person who seems really upset about injustice and always wants to do what's right. Was Ann written by two different people who were not allowed to talk to each other? I absolutely do not understand her personality at all which seems to switch between spunky airhead cheerleader stereotype and deeply concerned, hurting, and emotionally mature friend at random.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rosalind posted:

I absolutely do not understand her personality at all which seems to switch between spunky airhead cheerleader stereotype and deeply concerned, hurting, and emotionally mature friend at random.

I mean, she's not an airhead at all? She's spunky and sort of cheerleadery I guess, but I feel she's written pretty consistently. Outside of some stuff with Kamoshida, which makes sense, she doesn't really take anyone's poo poo. Everyone is always like omg Makoto but I think Ann is cooler.

That boss to the second palace is the only boss in the whole game that I got a game over on. He's fuckin' tough. You have to split your attacks between magic and physical so you can't just do an attack-all with magic like you can most other things, and he attacks you multiple times at once, even more if he gets a one more. And he hits really hard. Second go around I found Morgana to be the most important member of my team in that fight because on his turns I literally only ever did the heal everyone ability he has. I never used him to attack the boss.

edit: Threw in a spoiler bar since you since you said you only finished the second palace

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don’t remember the exact details of that fight but I don’t recall him being able to make someone vulnerable and then attack to knock them down in the same turn, which means you have an opportunity to guard with them so they don’t get knocked down. Not that this game’s RNG doesn’t allow for some ridiculous spikes in certain battles anyway.

I never felt like Ann’s characterization was incongruous, but whether the game wanted to treat the sexual harassment of her as the terrible thing it is in chapter 1 vs “someone pervs on ann” being both the setup and punchline for a hilarious repeating joke for the rest of the game sure was. please make that joke again, game. already falling out of my chair from how funny that was the last time.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 29, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rosalind posted:

I finished the second Palace this weekend. I did not care for the boss battle one bit. I was like nearly done when an attack made Morgana vulnerable to every damage type. They used that to knock him out and then used the One Mores to KO each of my remaining party members one-by-one. I went from 4 characters at like 50-80% HP to complete wipe without being able to do a thing about it. I get that making mistakes in this game can cause a cascade of bad things but I didn't even really make any mistakes!

The second try RNG was on my side and I kept my party topped off HP-wise at all times and it was easy-peasy. I wonder though if I'm underleveled because when I check what other people are doing it shows an average level of 18 or 19 and I'm at like 17.

I absolutely loathe Yusuke and I am never gonna use him again if I can help it. Ryuji is the truest bro and the only person who seems really upset about injustice and always wants to do what's right. Was Ann written by two different people who were not allowed to talk to each other? I absolutely do not understand her personality at all which seems to switch between spunky airhead cheerleader stereotype and deeply concerned, hurting, and emotionally mature friend at random.

Yusuke is better than he seems. There isn't much excuse for the nude modeling obsession "joke" in his intro, but he's one of the most rational members of the crew and can get genuinely funny later.

As for Ryuji, well, he's not quite as purely devoted to fighting injustice as he seems at first.

I do agree about Ann's characterization being kind of unfocused. Her best moments were during the Kamoshida Palace. After that, she really falls off and becomes less and less important.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Geostomp posted:

Her best moments were during the Kamoshida Palace. After that, she really falls off and becomes less and less important.

Uh her best moment is in the 7th palace actually

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yusuke is good and it's a crime how many people pin the whole nude modeling thing on him as being some sort of rapist when Akira and Ryuji are the real scumbags in that whole situation.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Macaluso posted:

JOK
ER

IS

TH
OU

AND

I

Hmm, yes, Joker is the Thousand Island dressing of persona

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yusuke is good and it's a crime how many people pin the whole nude modeling thing on him as being some sort of rapist when Akira and Ryuji are the real scumbags in that whole situation.

Agreed, but he was still overly pushy about getting it done and leaned too hard on the "you're so perfect, you must be my model" when she clearly wasn't interested, even if I believe, for Yusuke, there wasn't anything sexual behind it. Really none of them came off well being so close to the events with Kamoshida

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Maybe calling Ann an airhead was wrong. It's more like sometimes she's really goofy and fun and other times she's incredibly serious and clearly hurting from her experiences with Kamoshida. I guess that's to be expected a bit when you go through an experience like that, but it's a bit disconcerting in the game because I never really know how she's gonna react in any given situation.

I played for a bit tonight. Story is progressing slowly--seems like the student council president is going to join me soon. She seems to have second thoughts about opposing the phantom thieves. Although, once again this game really belabors the theme. This time it's "Are the phantom thieves just?" Various characters' reflecting on the topic took like 2 real life hours of my evening. Does the game think people playing it have memento-style memory loss where you need to be constantly reminding them of things that happened less than 10 minutes ago?

Speaking of memento, Mementos is actually pretty neat. I like the soundtrack for that area especially for some reason. Just scooting along in my catbus, grooving to discordant organ music and beating up enemies way too weak for me while getting some pretty good loot.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I liked the Mementos theme just not having it loop over and over

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ibram Gaunt posted:

His introduction via creep cam and attempt to extort the party to have Ann nude model is a really loving bad first impression. He catches your party breaking in and tries to cut a deal where Ann nude models for him or he'll call the cops which is incredibly skeevy and awful.

Its also wildly at odds with his personality after that intro sequence but goddamn does the game do its best to paint him in a lovely light initially.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Merilan posted:

I am THOU art I ... ... ok i dunno where to take this gag further

Thou are I
I are thou

Thou hast acquired a new vow

With a fortune teller and a hangout now and then
Let's get this slink to ten. :buddy:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zore posted:

His introduction via creep cam and attempt to extort the party to have Ann nude model is a really loving bad first impression. He catches your party breaking in and tries to cut a deal where Ann nude models for him or he'll call the cops which is incredibly skeevy and awful.

Its also wildly at odds with his personality after that intro sequence but goddamn does the game do its best to paint him in a lovely light initially.

I don't think it's very at odds, I don't think drawing her nude was a sexual thing as much as it was an art "beauty" thing with him.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rosalind posted:

Speaking of memento, Mementos is actually pretty neat. I like the soundtrack for that area especially for some reason. Just scooting along in my catbus, grooving to discordant organ music and beating up enemies way too weak for me while getting some pretty good loot.

I think you're the only person who I've ever heard call the Mementos theme something other than utterly terrible.

It's like a five second loop, repeated. Forever.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

It's like a five second loop, repeated. Forever.

Yeah but it's a good five second loop.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

What if we replaced the mementos theme with Baby Shark? On infinite loop.

Joooo-ker shark do do dodododo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rosalind posted:

Yeah but it's a good five second loop.

Meh. I couldn't deal with it after a while. I wish I could've turned on the radio inside the Morgana bus and picked music from parts of the game you had scene already.

The remix in Mementos Depths though is fire

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Macaluso posted:

Meh. I couldn't deal with it after a while. I wish I could've turned on the radio inside the Morgana bus and picked music from parts of the game you had scene already.

I like to think that the only things on Morgana’s radio would be him singing the karaoke versions of the soundtrack.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I should really wait for Royal, but I caved and started a new game, aiming to complete every confidant. Doing the first palace in one day on a fresh NG was more exciting than I expected, even on easy mode. I hope I can start making some serious cash soon cos i'm fairly poor going into May.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Geostomp posted:

I like to think that the only things on Morgana’s radio would be him singing the karaoke versions of the soundtrack.

i'd be up for hearing Morgana belt out his own rendition of Last Surprise

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I should really wait for Royal, but I caved and started a new game, aiming to complete every confidant. Doing the first palace in one day on a fresh NG was more exciting than I expected, even on easy mode. I hope I can start making some serious cash soon cos i'm fairly poor going into May.

I played my last run on Easy and thanks to some misplays I ended the game one single SLink level short of the full set. Tower. Man I was pissed.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Macaluso posted:

The radio in the Morgana bus is called Spotify. For extra fun, pretend each character is picking whatever track it shuffles to!

Haru probably listens to a lot of King Princess

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think the Mementos theme would be far more bearable if the characters had their little side conversations more often. I feel like hearing those is the reason that it's so low and subdued, but they play so infrequently that you end up listening to that loop to the point where it gets annoying.

edit: oh and it gets way more annoying if/when you get the confidant ability that just lets you straight up skip weak enemies, so you don't get any breaks.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 30, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SettingSun posted:

I played my last run on Easy and thanks to some misplays I ended the game one single SLink level short of the full set. Tower. Man I was pissed.

You should prioritize Tower if you play it again, the Rank 10 boosts crits with Joker's gun and it's loving amazing for getting Shadows to join easily.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yusuke’s introduction is also when he’s being treated narratively as an extension of Madarame’s will, and perhaps he is acting the way he’s seen Madarame sometimes act with conventionally attractive women.

It probably is about Ann being a wonderful model in his eyes but he’s been tainted by his upbringing with a pretty terrible selfish skeevy guy until he realises that Madarame is a terrible person and quickly tries to distance himself from Madarame’s personality and lifestyle.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I will say that Yusuke has gotten a bit better since we had the hotpot dinner. Genuine question and I hope this doesn't come across as offensive: is he supposed to be autism spectrum? That would explain so much about him actually.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rosalind posted:

I will say that Yusuke has gotten a bit better since we had the hotpot dinner. Genuine question and I hope this doesn't come across as offensive: is he supposed to be autism spectrum? That would explain so much about him actually.

there's a certain personality archetype in jrpg's that's coded to seem that way and yusuke definitely falls into it, but i wouldn't read any deeper into it than that

he's just hyper-focused on art and not great with money/self-care due to his upbringing

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Yusuke is the best because he just puts out damage like crazy

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

there's a certain personality archetype in jrpg's that's coded to seem that way and yusuke definitely falls into it, but i wouldn't read any deeper into it than that

he's just hyper-focused on art and not great with money/self-care due to his upbringing

Ah ok. I don't play a lot of JRPGs or at least not ones set in modern life.

Also I forgot I totally ran into Morgana in Brooklyn this weekend. He got a parking ticket:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zelder posted:

Yusuke is the best because he just puts out damage like crazy

He doesn't get charge like Ryuji and just lags way behind in power moves too because ???? Also gets a worse party buff.

Mechanically he's probably the worst Phantom thief because he's just Ryuji but worse whereas everyone else at least has a niche.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For whatever reason they decided to introduce three eventual phantom thieves in a row at their most insufferable but yusuke is easily the worst. he gets a lot better (if always still too weird to be believable) and it’s really bizarre to look back at the chapter 2 intro stuff later because it feels pretty incongruous with the character you see during the rest of the game

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Here's hoping they get rebalanced and a 3rd Persona evolution like in Golden. I'm playing through 4 again and I forgot how bad Chie and Yukiko were. Chie just doesn't get anything worthwhile until much later on and Yukiko, while a powerful mage, never loses her weakness. I should give Golden a shot. I was about half way through 4 on the save I loaded up, which is why I opted to finish that out instead of starting anew in Golden.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

P4 Golden is very good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm playing P3P and I'm getting close to the end... what level should I be for the final boss? I'm 74 right now and I've got a deece selection of personas

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

What I don't get is why they gave Ann all the extra shadow negotiation abilities when she's the party member you're least likely going to be taking through trash (I still love her, she's a slam pick for bosses, but if you don't do phys you're not gonna be on my trash squad). Changing that would require a big rethink of her confidant abilities so I don't expect anything to change in Royal, but it's something that always stuck out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm playing P3P and I'm getting close to the end... what level should I be for the final boss? I'm 74 right now and I've got a deece selection of personas

You should be fine