Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

QuarkJets posted:

he actually is a pedophile though, the only class of people who deserve to get extorted and then laughed at by police as they put him in handcuffs for having admitted to grooming a child

Oh no doubt I'm just saying it would be a slam dunk extortion case. The daughter and the guy would deny the grooming/statutory rape, and they are both witnesses to the extortion. A picture of two people talking doesn't prove pedophilia or grooming.

Also the parents are shitheads for apparently sitting on this picture for years, never going to the police, letting their daughter marry the pedophile, while also having said pedophile cosign a mortgage for their dream home. Not exactly parents of the year.

ETA:
Between the cosigning and the extortion they're selling their daughter to a pedophile. Everyone in this situation is gross and I hope they all go to jail (except the daughter. She needs therapy)

Ebola Roulette fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

I (26f) found out my long term boyfriend (29m) is living a double life

This womans selective memory skills could lead to breakthroughs in PTSD treatments

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

TheKennedys posted:

an onion is a sandwich

the worst sandwich

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Ebola Roulette posted:

Oh no doubt I'm just saying it would be a slam dunk extortion case. The daughter and the guy would deny the grooming/statutory rape, and they are both witnesses to the extortion. A picture of two people talking doesn't prove pedophilia or grooming.

Also the parents are shitheads for apparently sitting on this picture for years, never going to the police, letting their daughter marry the pedophile, while also having said pedophile cosign a mortgage for their dream home. Not exactly parents of the year.

don't read too much into it, they probably just realized that they never saved for retirement and are looking for some funding sources

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

LadyPictureShow posted:

My (F25) boyfriend (M45) won’t let me get the kind of puppy that I want

Does she ever go into more detail about this bit:

quote:

I had a puppy (morkie) for a short period of time and while having her was the absolute best short while, I was absolutely heartbroken when our time together ended.

Cos "I had a puppy" suggests she wasn't dog sitting or moved away from family who had just got a new dog, and "our time together ended" could mean anything, from a completely wholesome explanation to a tragic early death from innocent causes to her having to re-home it due to extenuating circumstances or just getting bored and giving it away or killing it through neglect. Why did you have a puppy then suddenly not have a puppy, lady? This is important

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Fatkraken posted:

Cos "I had a puppy" suggests she wasn't dog sitting or moved away from family who had just got a new dog, and "our time together ended" could mean anything, from a completely wholesome explanation to a tragic early death from innocent causes to her having to re-home it due to extenuating circumstances or just getting bored and giving it away or killing it through neglect. Why did you have a puppy then suddenly not have a puppy, lady? This is important

I also noticed that she says she only likes Morkie puppies, not that she only likes morkies or Morkie dogs, Morkie puppies specifically

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

lol if you posted:

the worst sandwich

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Fatkraken posted:

Nobody asked, as far as I saw when I found that story.

Someone with a reddit account, please do the needful.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

LadyPictureShow posted:

I (26f) found out my long term boyfriend (29m) is living a double life

Congratulations on winning this round of Spot the Psychopath. Your prize is you get to escape the psychopath before he wastes any more years of your life, or gets tired of abusing his current victims and moves on to you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sagebrush posted:

"Lifehacks" are universally either (1) really stupid ideas to do something in a slightly different way that nobody does because it's stupid, or (2) extremely basic tidbits of life advice that your grandma probably told you at some point.

One actually useful type (which of course don't get shared around the internet because they're boring) is ways to help manage bad habits, interrupt reflex actions. People joke about someone on a diet who locks their fridge, but the idea isn't to keep them out it's to add an extra step to getting food so that their conscious brain can get in the way and give them a chance to decide not to snack. Cutting back on soda, some people find it helps to switch from 2L bottles to cans because you're less ambiguous about how much you're drinking (also don't keep them right at hand). Others may find going from cans to bottles is what they need to turn their habit into conscious thought, depends on the person and their reflex.

But you're never going to find a Buzzfeed of those sorts of things because A) they're not sexy and B) I don't think I can think of ten of them, it's all variations of "find a way to interrupt your automatic motions so you have to decide to do it".

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Tomatoes are a fruit and a vegetable and are the best. End of discussion.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

lol if you posted:

a coworker of mine in his late 40s literally only learned about this last week and was astounded that every single person in the office knew but him

A friend surprised me when he didn't know exit numbers were based on the highway mile they're on. He was mid-30s, drove around town as a profession, and thought it was just arbitrary whether two exits would be 296 A/B or 296/297 or jump right to 298. I learned that as a kid when my dad taught me to answer "are we there yet" on my own.

But hey, everyone has a first time learning every bit of "basic" knowledge.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bruceski posted:

A friend surprised me when he didn't know exit numbers were based on the highway mile they're on. He was mid-30s, drove around town as a profession, and thought it was just arbitrary whether two exits would be 296 A/B or 296/297 or jump right to 298. I learned that as a kid when my dad taught me to answer "are we there yet" on my own.

But hey, everyone has a first time learning every bit of "basic" knowledge.

a number of states use sequential numbers for their exits instead of the mileage-based system.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

a number of states use sequential numbers for their exits instead of the mileage-based system.

Huh, I didn't know that. Checking Wikipedia it looks like it's all the East Coast that does that, everywhere else is mileage based (with exceptions, but that's just individual highways).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Construction can also gently caress up exit locations. I-4 is under years of construction and some exits are nearly half a mile down from where they used to be now.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
When I went down to Georgia for college I was that guy, your coworker.
All throughout most of the Northeast it's sequential.

If I had to guess a reason, using distance might psychologically make more sense when your covering longer reaches between destinations.
But in BosNyWash you have a lot of big and small cities in fairly close distances (compared to much of the US anyway), so fixating on miles doesn't quite matter as much.
Heck on longer trips I tend to think of the trip in terms of cities passed or nearly passed.
Like...
-Passed Philly
-Passed Trenton
-Passed Edison
-Passed Elizabeth
-Passed Newark
-Cross GW into NYC
-Passed New Rochelle
-Passed Stamford
-Passed Norwalk
-Passed Bridgeport
-Passed New Haven
and so on.

Grape fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 24, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Today was my day to learn something new.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Today was my day to learn something new.

In 1700s or some poo poo, the guilds representing various arts had a leader called a master.

In order to be considered for admission you had to create an impressive piece of art showcasing your skills for the master, or, a "masterpiece."

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

I am a tenured professor and starting a sexual relationship with one of my students is one of the few ways that I can be fired.

Just wanna say this was one hell of a sentence to unpick.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

In 1700s or some poo poo, the guilds representing various arts had a leader called a master.

In order to be considered for admission you had to create an impressive piece of art showcasing your skills for the master, or, a "masterpiece."

Not quite. The piece was to demonstrate you were a master craftsman and worthy of joining the guild. You'd produce your master piece to rank up from being an apprentice/journeyman.

Voting Floater fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 24, 2019

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

dudeness posted:

A morkie sounds nice until they nanu nanu all over the carpet and shazbot in the kitchen.

Not that a french bulldog is any better, it's tedious having to wash their tiny berets and find the right type of baguette based dog food.

This is ART. Thank you.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

when i started driving and for a while afterwards i didn't know about the fuel arrow thing.

to be fair my first car, the car i drove for years, had the fuel fill under the rear license plate so there wasn't really a "side"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

when i started driving and for a while afterwards i didn't know about the fuel arrow thing.

to be fair my first car, the car i drove for years, had the fuel fill under the rear license plate so there wasn't really a "side"

Unless you're driving rentals, this bit of life knowledge seems easy to miss. If you see if the gas cap in advance or mess up once, you've probably learned forever on that car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Voting Floater posted:

Just wanna say this was one hell of a sentence to unpick.

The full list of reasons to dismiss a tenured professor:

- violating the university's code of conduct
- violating general academic ethics (plagiarism, etc)
- abandoning classes (i can just ignore other parts of the job like faculty meetings etc if i choose with no real consequences; I don't, but many do)
- committing a crime

and that's it.

If I haven't broken any rules, the only way I can be fired is if the university collapses and there literally aren't enough students to give all the professors a full course load. In that case they will start firing the lecturers and assistant professors first though so I'm still relatively protected.

tenure is, uh, a hell of a thing

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 24, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Okay, also, to be really technical, the university can still start dismissal proceedings against any professor they like. If you're tenured, though, you are entitled to what is essentially a trial, where the university has to bring evidence of why you should be dismissed and you can rebut it and so on. The aforementioned reasons are the only cases where they're going to bother with the process because anything less (e.g. "you're an rear end in a top hat and everyone hates working with you") can be rebutted sufficiently to kill the case and make it all just a big waste of time.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
These are getting to be as common as the two sisters getting impregnated by the one's husband

Girlfriend (F23) admitted she has a crush/feelings with co-worker (M40)

quote:

Been with my partner for over a year I'm a (M26) and for the past 5 months my partner (F23) and I have hit a pretty serious rough patch. It started when we moved into a new apartment about 5 months ago and she started to pick fights with me over things we never fought about before (mostly cleaning related). One morning we fought so bad that she told me if my behaivor continued she would go to the arms of someone else. She immediately apologized for saying this but I became suspicious of her and started digging through her laptop and phone to find evidence of infidelity. I never discovered a smoking gun, but I did find out she had 3 trysts with co-workers in a one year span that occurred before we started dating. One of the flings was with a (M32) who was newly married. Shortly before the first married man mentioned she had a 4 month long relationship with another married man in his 30s who was not a co-worker. Regardless, all of these relationships were risky/inappropriate. One person could be fired if it was discovered they were involved with one another.

After I discovered all this I began to treat her poorly. I made blind accusations that she must be carrying on with an affair with someone at work because of what she said to me when she was angry. I'll admit I severly mishandled the situation. At one point I told her to leave and go f***k/be with a person at work I thought she had a thing for. That persons name was, well we'll call him Phil. However, shortly after the acussations and big fight she started hiding texting a male at work who she previously described as creepy and giving off weird vibes around her and subtly hitting on her. That person she was texting turned out to be Phil. The interesting part was before all this she did not like Phil(according to what she told me). Phil is apparently a "dick" who is mean to staff often. My s.o. doesnt put up with that at work so she would often make mean comments back to Phil and then come home later and talk about it with me.

When I noticed she was deleting text messages from Phil and I called her out on it she stopped initiating texts to him. The first round of recovered texts seemed to be some teasing going on between the two of them. One such message she was asking to see him in his private office to apologize about something that happened work related. The other texts were about a prank she played on him that involved her going into his private office. The last text deleted was about how she was upset that his case at work got cancelled and she wouldnt be able to work on it. She has gotten into fights at work with her boss when she gets taken off cases pertaining to his field that he works in. All the interactions between them via text were started by her. We had a big fight about this and she assurred me everything was platonic and nothing was going on. She also promised to stop deleting messages.

A few weeks go by and its starts again. Another message is deleted from a co-worker jokingly saying that she herd she invited Phil to a work party before her. I'm wondering if there has already been foul play but she has assured me nothing has happened physically. The way I confronted her about it was by trying to get her to admit to doing it and she would not until I showed her the messages. She then said she actually did it t see if I could remote access her phone (I didn't but I have worked in IT and I know how to recover deleted messages from phones) and that I was still not trusting her and spying on her.

The last suspicious text not deleted and shown to me by her (after she realized I can recover texts) was from yet another co-worker asking her if she wanted to invite Phil to an event (it felt like the coworker was insinuating that she could invite him because she knew she wanted to invite him because of feelings she had for him). I'm worried she has made this crush pretty obvious at work now that co-workers seemed to have picked up on it. I feel embarrassed and ashamed of myself in all of this as well. I feel like this whole thing is my fault because of the way I behaved.

So to put some more context my gf and myself are atttractive people. She also gets a ton of unwanted attention on the street and gets cat called, has exes and randos try to message her sometimes. However, my s.o. does not get attracted to people unless there is an emotional bond (atleast thats what she told me). Also, she works a very stressful job in healthcare that involves saving peoples lives on a daily basis.The co-worker she developed feelings for works in her unit and they work together often. For what its worth he is not attractive overweight, balding, and is 17 years older than her.

However last night she started to talk about him regarding a work situatuon and I finally noticed something that I should have realized months before. Everytime she talked about him she would smile and laugh. I told her that and asked her if she had a crush on him. She got choked up and said no. I asked her once more and she broke down crying and confessed that she has had a crush on him for a few months.

Her explanation is she thinks she developed feelings for Phil out of spite because I had mistreated her and acted controlling after I discovered her past. She feels ashamed about it and struggles to fully understand it still. Moreover, her job requires her to work with him so she cannot cut all ties with Phil and he will always be around. She has stated that I'm the only one she wants and that she doesn't want to breakup. Our relationship is very serious and she talks about wanting children and to be married to me and I felt the same way. She did say she wpuld understand if I left her. I'm wondering what should I do? Is this normal behaivor in a relationship? What does it mean when a girl has a crush for a man 17 years older than her when shes in a relationship like ours? Should her past relationship history bother me so much? Was I wrong to bring her past into my decision to snoop? Her crush on him has lasted a few months but she said she has only realized it recently, does that mean anything? Is it still a crush at this point or is there something more there? How do I move past this?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

- abandoning classes (i can just ignore other parts of the job like faculty meetings etc if i choose with no real consequences; I don't, but many do)
- committing a crime

and that's it.

If I haven't broken any rules, the only way I can be fired is if the university collapses and there literally aren't enough students to give all the professors a full course load. In that case they will start firing the lecturers and assistant professors first though so I'm still relatively protected.

I mean yeah that's my basic imagination of tenure and unwritten deference and what Show Cause takes as a practical matter, to say that universities "can" do something because it may be a private school in an at will state is just not reality.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Sagebrush posted:

LIFEHACK!!!

One of the funniest channels on YouTube is nothing but deliberately terrible life hacks that random people rage over in the comment section.

https://youtu.be/Ib8Jp4RAn_s

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

My neighbor uses her own feces as fertilizer, keeps buckets of it around the property, and it’s getting the neighborhood kids very sick

quote:

My neighbors are from a foreign country where it is culturally necessary to use your own poop to fertilize your vegetable garden. One night, I heard a strange noise and snuck up on what I thought was a raccoon – no, on the other side of the fence was Grandma, taking a dump into a five-gallon bucket! I kid you not. Her garden is wild, unkempt, and she uses the turd stew to fertilize the vegetables.

There are some obvious and not-so-obvious problems with this. During summer, it heats up, and the smell is nasty. Neighbors have complained about this to code enforcement (who gave the neighbor a warning) and health services (who sounded concerned but did not ultimately take any action). A few years later (yes this has been going on that long) several of us called the code enforcement guy back and made a more detailed and urgent complaint, but several months have passed without action. One of our neighbor's daughter contracted salmonella and there is a strong possibility it was from the scheisse neighbor's dog playing with her dog, who the daughter also plays with. Another neighbor's young boy contracted a similar illness around the same time. The Grandma at one point was even giving out some vegetables to neighbors as a sincere gift. Not all of them knew of the fertilizer issue at that time; this can cause hepatitis! There has been a surge in rats, insects, flies, ground squirrels, and other pests related to the garden and the "special fertilizer".

What is my legal recourse since the local authorities are not solving the problem? I don't seek damages, only extraction and removal of all the waste and ideally her whole garden and yard as it is a biohazard.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Pinecone Sample posted:

Girlfriend (F23) admitted she has a crush/feelings with co-worker (M40)

This boyfriend is a crazy person, going through his girlfriends text messages one by one, asking for explanations. It’s not ok to be doing this. Being like “I can recover your deleted texts haha haha” is just loving weird. Don’t be like him.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pinecone Sample posted:

I'm not sure if I agree, legally, e.g. in public universities I think that would potentially violate due process and various First Amendment interests, and I'm not familiar enough with collective bargaining or tenure to comment on top of that. I can see the interest in enforcing such policies about one's own students I am sure those have long existed or been justifiable improper conduct, but I'm not sure if universities would have wanted to put broader rules on the books until recent years and that becomes another process question.

This is getting too lost in the weeds for this thread

The first amendment protects you from government censorship, not from employers firing you. And even the government censorship aspect has common sense limits

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

The first amendment protects you from government censorship, not from employers firing you. And even the government censorship aspect has common sense limits

The government is the employer at a public university. Are you lost?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pinecone Sample posted:

My neighbor uses her own feces as fertilizer, keeps buckets of it around the property, and it’s getting the neighborhood kids very sick

lol are ground squirrels really attracted to human poo poo?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They can still fire you for misconduct, free speech isn’t a magic get out jail free card

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pinecone Sample posted:

The government is the employer at a public university. Are you lost?

Many US universities are not public. As for public universities, there is this:

QuarkJets posted:

:siren: And even the government censorship aspect has common sense limits

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Me and my husband are actually trying to purchase a condo in Cumtown so that we can retire there someday. I've reached out to the show's hosts asking for listings several times but they never get back to me.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

bad day posted:

This boyfriend is a crazy person, going through his girlfriends text messages one by one, asking for explanations. It’s not ok to be doing this. Being like “I can recover your deleted texts haha haha” is just loving weird. Don’t be like him.

It's one of those things where they both clearly loving hate each other but won't admit it

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

- committing a crime

and that's it.

Oh sure, got that. What I meant was that I read this far:

Sagebrush posted:

I am a tenured professor and starting a sexual relationship with one of my students
and took a very sharp breath before I finished the sentence and realised you meant hypothetically.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The amount of violent pearl clutching over consenting adults of various ages in this thread is legit hilarious.

The grooming stuff is ofc disgusting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Many US universities are not public. As for public universities, there is this:

My post said public universities, buddy, you don't read, don't quote yours like I'm the one who needs help. We are done here.