Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I love french tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hellsau posted:

So the Chaffee can get a VStab because Wargaming. Always use a VStab. That line has really good view range, so use Optics. I usually choose Vents next because GLD with VStab basically does not do anything even without considering #snapshotmeta, but let's be real here 2.5% boost to everything is pretty mild so I'd understand using a Wet Ammo Rack if you don't enjoy throwing credits into the wind on Large Repair Kits.

You should definitely disable Assault in the in-game options. Assault is famously imbalanced - on most maps the attacking team is cripplingly less likely to win, which makes most good players turn Assault off to lower the variance on their chance to win, which decreases the overall skill level of players in Assault matches, which increases the variance and stupidity of Assault matches.

Most goons strongly prefer if you disabled Assault while platooning, except for ExiaFS. If you platoon with Exia, make sure to have Assault enabled, because that dude just cannot get enough of that game mode.

Chaffee also gets a rammer so you can do rammer instead of vents like I do. Seems to work when you've got the opportunity to circle-strafe a hapless tank.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Yo dawgs, we're gonna try to do Domination in 2 hours. I don't know if you weird Euros follow our weird bullshit custom, but US clocks skipped forward an hour. So....two hours after this post, show up.

Blindeye posted:

Chaffee also gets a rammer so you can do rammer instead of vents like I do. Seems to work when you've got the opportunity to circle-strafe a hapless tank.

poo poo, right, always use Rammer if you can. T37 and M41 cannot use the Rammer even thought I was reasonably sure earlier this week that the T37 could use one. Chaffee is definitely VStab/Rammer/Optics.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
It's been a while since I played and I had to start a new account. But holy poo poo the first few tiers are complete bullshit.

That or I'm so out of practice, that I suck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Stringbean posted:

It's been a while since I played and I had to start a new account. But holy poo poo the first few tiers are complete bullshit.

That or I'm so out of practice, that I suck.

Don't worry, as bullshit as the first two tiers are, tier 3 and tier 4 tanks will get far, FAR more battles as bottom tier on the NA server than is reasonable. Welcome back!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

30 minutes till Domination action! Get in!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Two things NA dudes - get on Discord and in the ingame Goons channel for Rampage in 20 minutes, and if you don't have one, buy a goddamn Rudy. Tank is good.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Is there any particular line I should be avoiding in terms of the tech trees? Kinda want to stick to one line instead of spreading myself thin like last time. Are the Czech line good? I'm on the cusp of tier 4 and I'm not impressed so far. I've heard the Jap Heavies are a mixed bag. I might just play German tanks this time around, I didn't really invest much time into them.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if in doubt, play Soviet or American mediums or heavies. all other lines come with caveats.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hey peeps, we need like 3 more people for Rampage, get online!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

We need a couple more for Domination, come play Rampage and definitely not rig anything!

Stringbean posted:

Is there any particular line I should be avoiding in terms of the tech trees? Kinda want to stick to one line instead of spreading myself thin like last time. Are the Czech line good? I'm on the cusp of tier 4 and I'm not impressed so far. I've heard the Jap Heavies are a mixed bag. I might just play German tanks this time around, I didn't really invest much time into them.

The Czech line has both horrifically bad tanks (T-24, T-34/100, TVP VTU) and tanks with really rough stock grinds. Almost all French tanks aren't ones you should do early. British Heavies got nerfed to poo poo to compensate for the overpowered Conqueror and good FV215b. There are probably more difficult lines, but these are the actual horrendous lines with no payoff:

FV4005
Japanese Heavies (past tier 7)
IS-4
Foch 155
Centurion AX
Basically every artillery line that doesn't end in the M53/M55
T110E4 unless you believe in the power of #snapshotmeta

Everything else either has a good tier 10 or reasonable tier 8/9 tanks.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Hellsau posted:

...horrendous lines with no pay off:

FV4005
Japanese Heavies (past tier 7)
IS-4
Foch 155
Centurion AX
Basically every artillery line that doesn't end in the M53/M55
T110E4 unless you believe in the power of #snapshotmeta

Everything else either has a good tier 10 or reasonable tier 8/9 tanks.

This is what I was looking for. I'll probably invest some time in the German TD market me thinks. Thanks!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Counterpoint: Hellsau has a lot of stupid hyperbolic opinions and for example the Brit medium line has several very enjoyable tanks.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Speaking of M53/55, should I get that instead of T92 that I already have to do arty missions?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Nordick posted:

Counterpoint: Hellsau has a lot of stupid hyperbolic opinions and for example the Brit medium line has several very enjoyable tanks.

But is the Cent AX worth it in the end? I quit before the Centurion AX took the place of the FV4202(?) and got up to Cent Mk 1 and I agree it was fun.

But considering I haven't played the game in ages and I'm starting from scratch. I'm looking for a means of... I guess getting back into the swing of it, in the least painful way?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the british medium line is lovely until you finish the Comet, at which point you can safely ignore the rest of the line

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Stringbean posted:

But is the Cent AX worth it in the end? I quit before the Centurion AX took the place of the FV4202(?) and got up to Cent Mk 1 and I agree it was fun.
Worth what? Why must tank lines be judged by the tier 10s? Like, are tier 10 tanks the only ones you can drive for just the sake of driving them?
For your question though, yeah I think the CAX is a really enjoyable tank to drive, and so is the 7/1. Some people will tell you otherwise, but if you enjoy the Cent 1, I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy the other Cents since they're very much the same playstyle, just with a slower, higher alpha gun.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

apseudonym posted:

This patch is entertaining.

:france:

:unsmith::respek::france:

Then we got rushed by a KV-5 and murdered :smithicide:.

I'm loving the new physics. I was in a pub game last night and the last enemy was an arty that was just sitting on it's side. I figured the guy who found him would just blow him away, but no. He just stopped and everyone was laughing at him. A few of my team (I was dead, as always) gathered around him and and we were all debating what to do with him. It was so sad, the arty was like "Come on guys, just kill me..... come on....". We finally decided that he should die by ramming and the sentence was carried out. Hilarious.

That sucks to hear about Assault mode because I like the idea of it. Although, now that you mention it, I think I noticed that most of the players were red. Not sure if I want to turn it off or not. I used to always be concerned about my win rate and everything but now I am leaning towards just trying to have fun. A difficult thing to accomplish in this game.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sayara posted:

Speaking of M53/55, should I get that instead of T92 that I already have to do arty missions?

The only benefit the T92 has is if you need a bombardier. I've thought about it. The M53 is superior in every other metric, though.

Nordick posted:

The Cent 1 is not a good tier 8. The Cent 7 is a mediocre tier 9 medium. The Cent AX is a mediocre tier 9 medium that is considered a tier 10 for some reason.

Also the Cent 7 has a pretty disastrous module grind if you haven't gone down the Brit Heavy line.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That sucks to hear about Assault mode because I like the idea of it. Although, now that you mention it, I think I noticed that most of the players were red. Not sure if I want to turn it off or not. I used to always be concerned about my win rate and everything but now I am leaning towards just trying to have fun. A difficult thing to accomplish in this game.

When I want to troll Exia, I do one of three things:

1) Imply Exia's spotted because his dog is barking.
2) Teamkill both him and myself when our artilleries are the only two tanks alive, turning a win into a draw.
3) Enable Assault and then try to persuade Exia not to teamkill me. Look at all these reasons not to teamkill me, Exia! It isn't like we're loving doomed or anything.

Pretty sure 95% of goons turn off Assault.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Stringbean posted:

I think the line with the biggest payoff is the soviet light line. You will get the t-34, LTTB which is really fun, a t-54 light which is the best light, t54 best medium, and t62a/obj140 which are really good. If I was just starting, this would be the line to start with. 4-6 keepers in a line is bananas.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 14, 2016

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Tsurupettan posted:

this is just like turtles helping each other :unsmith:

I'm looking forward to seeing a platoon of Tortoises flipped over with a bunch of light tanks trying to get them back on their feet. :3:

Also Ferdinands rolling in the mud.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

the cent 7/1 would be a perfectly viable, well balanced tank. if gold rounds didn't exist.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

we could say that about quite a few tanks

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Prav posted:

we could say that about quite a few tanks

sure you can but not many are so entirely balanced around a gun that is entirely outclassed as soon as a fast medium with camo and armor pushes the '2' key

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Seriously though this loving tank

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

DonkeyHotay posted:

sure you can but not many are so entirely balanced around a gun that is entirely outclassed as soon as a fast medium with camo and armor pushes the '2' key

It's outclassed as soon as a medium with a fire rate better than 6 rounds/min gets on the field, let's be fair.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

or a top speed over 40

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Stringbean posted:

Just play the German tanks then, there's plenty of them, you get the benefit of cross-unlocking modules, and there are more good tanks than in the newer, more limited trees.

What's your new IGN? Your old one used to be "stringbeans," right, before your buyer re-named the account?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

#justluchsthings

Nordick fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 14, 2016

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Is the FV4202 worth it? It seems a bit slow. I really like more fast tanks and stuff?
e: And the T-34-3 seems to have a little low pen?

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 14, 2016

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Michaellaneous posted:

Is the FV4202 worth it? It seems a bit slow. I really like more fast tanks and stuff?
e: And the T-34-3 seems to have a little low pen?

t-34-3 has regular at tier pen for a premium tank with pref MM.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Just play the German tanks then, there's plenty of them, you get the benefit of cross-unlocking modules, and there are more good tanks than in the newer, more limited trees.

What's your new IGN? Your old one used to be "stringbeans," right, before your buyer re-named the account?

Quietstorm, it's not an old childhood ign I swear.

My friends and I use to make fun of a certain teacher because his voice sounded like it belonged on a smooth jazz radio station. Quiet Storm was his made up DJ handle.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nordick posted:

#justluchsthings

That's OP material right here.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Just went from the Birch Gun to the Bishop. :getin:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Nordick posted:

#justluchsthings

You should submit that for the rng show/video thing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

R. Mute posted:

Just went from the Birch Gun to the Bishop. :getin:

Cool, now grind out the gun.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

DonkeyHotay posted:

I'm quite liking the 7/1 with the L1A1, I was mediocre before but hitting 60%+ wr with the top gun. It does rely on your team mates not being total dogshit a bit more than the other Tier 9 mediums which is the main issue I'm finding.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Cool, now grind out the gun.
Free XP'd it and the tracks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

R. Mute posted:

Free XP'd it and the tracks.

You've hit the big times now homeboy. Bishop is great.

Speaking of great arti, my M53 feels like it turns much faster now. Did anyone else notice it becoming quite a lot more quick to turn? Dandilicious, you're our resident sky helper, what say you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

on test I noticed my GWE-100 turning better, so something's probably up.