Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

aren't there decent android-based handheld emulators these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Why do people use that emoticon instead of just saying it lets you pirate games

Do the FBI read the 3DS thread

People just like using smileys?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

shrike82 posted:

Those touch screen overlays are awful for anything other than, like Pokemon or RPGs

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

shrike82 posted:

decent, yeah. good? no.

the hardware is usually sub-par, i don't think i've ever heard good things about the buttons/dpads on those things. the software is usually 'usable' but not much past that considering android is a phone OS and they usually don't spend any effort adapting it to a device with button inputs, assuming they adapted it at all. also when you're buying some niche emulation handheld from a no name company there is pretty much zero guarantee that the screen isn't going to be absolute garbage or it's going to have piss poor battery life. also the performance is always worse than you would expect

like none of them are really terrible but when the psp go exists it begs the question of why you would buy anything else especially since it's probably cheaper anyways.

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 31, 2015

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You can root a phone and get one of these or something similar
http://www.amazon.com/KingMas-Length-Adjustable-Holder-Accessories/dp/B00JWKSOPC

With root you can use bluetooth for a DS3 and Robert Broglia's emulators work pretty seamlessly... some clips have built in usb cables you can plug into the phone so you don't need root to use a DS3
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Robert%20Broglia&hl=en

Not the best solution but better than a psp go in my opinion!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

this looks pretty good

http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/hardware-review-gamepad-digital-gpd-xd-android-gaming-tablet.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Soon on the 3ds owns because it actually uses the 3D effect, hopefully quake will do the same

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

shrike82 posted:

If you're looking for a gameboy/nes/snes/gba/other older console emulator, most emulators for android are pretty decent but on screen buttons really suck. I would strongly recommend getting a MOGA or other Android controller: Original MOGA (Dirt cheap now) or the new MOGA Pro.

For 3DS emulators, last I checked they were all junk. Don't bother really.

Best solution would be PSP Go or original PSP for retro games.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

That looks pretty decent. I'm always wary of random android companies though. I'd wait for reviews first.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

flyboi posted:

You can root a phone and get one of these or something similar
http://www.amazon.com/KingMas-Length-Adjustable-Holder-Accessories/dp/B00JWKSOPC

With root you can use bluetooth for a DS3 and Robert Broglia's emulators work pretty seamlessly... some clips have built in usb cables you can plug into the phone so you don't need root to use a DS3
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Robert%20Broglia&hl=en

Not the best solution but better than a psp go in my opinion!

im sorry but that is a garbage solution and it is literally the reason why i bought a psp in the first place

i mean i understand why these exist but you have to carry around a full sized console controller and also a clip alongside your cell phone. then you have to awkwardly clip it to your controller, go through a setup every single time, and hope it doesn't fall off or desync when you're playing

and thats not even going into the fact that the dualshock compatible bluetooth stack for android is incredibly hacked together (considering you have to plug the controller into a computer and run a special app before it syncs with a phone) and also it won't work on htc devices.

i contemplated wasting money on this but android is such a loving pain in the rear end and it's still not really that much more capable than a psp. I've heard that the buttons are mushy too but i don't think that's avoidable with third party hardware. on the other hand it's modern hardware and it's only like $150. i'd buy it.

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 31, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't even care about emulators I just want a backup launcher. Who carries carts with them now a days, that's why handhelds are dieing and phones are prevailing.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean honestly it's pretty funny now that like after so many years of ROMs and piracy being for "legal backups" WINK WINK (which are now illegal anyway under DMCA) now the carts are so loving tiny (especially with the Vita, not that this is the thread for that) that I think a desire to rip your carts, like if someone gave you a game for a present, is totally legit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Having emulators and homebrew on my 3DS is cool. I used them to play the fan translation for For The Frog The Bell Tolls which was a cute and charming game and you all should play it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Is there a way for me to move a save to a separate 3ds? Are saves even managed via the SD?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Abu Dave posted:

I don't even care about emulators I just want a backup launcher. Who carries carts with them now a days, that's why handhelds are dieing and phones are prevailing.

I thought that was the cool thing about the e-shop except you get games that are totally poo poo and i wish i could get rid of. pokemon y will forever stare at me on my home screen but at least animal crossing wasn't a bad life decision

SeANMcBAY posted:

Having emulators and homebrew on my 3DS is cool. I used them to play the fan translation for For The Frog The Bell Tolls which was a cute and charming game and you all should play it.

What emulators and homebrew are actually working fullspeed on an original 3ds? GBA doesn't work too well and i don't think the 16 bit consoles will either. so... game boy?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

I thought that was the cool thing about the e-shop except you get games that are totally poo poo and i wish i could get rid of. pokemon y will forever stare at me on my home screen but at least animal crossing wasn't a bad life decision

make a folder called regrets and file it away with the others

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What emulators and homebrew are actually working fullspeed on an original 3ds? GBA doesn't work too well and i don't think the 16 bit consoles will either. so... game boy?

I used GameYob to play that game and it should work fine on an original 3DS. Even though I have a New system, I prefer that emulator since it can display GB games in SGB palettes. I'm not sure how well other emulators work.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Just delete the games you don't want then? :confused:

Emron posted:

Is there a way for me to move a save to a separate 3ds? Are saves even managed via the SD?
If it's a cart game, the saves are stored on the cart itself. If it's a digital game, you'll need homebrew capabilities (which is currently incredibly easy, so you're in luck). They are on the SD, yes, but encrypted with a per-3DS key and not readable by another console.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Looper posted:

make a folder called regrets and file it away with the others
I made a trash folder and put a shy Boo badge on it.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
You should remember your mistakes so that you can learn from them.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
So what's the cultural significance between New Years in Japan and wooden paddles? The New Years badges in the arcade today got me curious.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So what's the cultural significance between New Years in Japan and wooden paddles? The New Years badges in the arcade today got me curious.

They play badminton with wooden paddles on new years in Japan.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
So, hopefully some of you in this thread will bear with me and assist me with my lack of knowledge!
I've been "out of the loop" for years when it comes to playing ROMs on handhelds. Last time I did any of the sort was on the PSP, where it was a simple drag and drop file onto the Memory Stick and presto you can play .ISO and .CSO files off of the Memory Stick.

I have an (Old version) 3DS XL currently on 9.6.0-24U. I saw that it was announced that there's an exploit for 10.3 firmware or something.

I have a DSTWO card to play DS and GBA roms with no issue. However, that's because it's a simple drag and drop system onto the microSD card that fits into the DSTWO card, then turn on my 3DS, select the Flash Cart, and it loads up the homebrew to play the backups I have on the microSD.

I want to get a Gateway Flashcart, dump the 3DS games that I own, and then play back ups of my 3DS games so that I don't have to carry 5-6 game cartridges with me. Or.... (:filez:) whatever.
I was looking into what I would need to do this, but there's so many acronyms and shorthand phrasing and other stuff that I just don't know where to start.

Can someone break it down for me, or point me to a site that breaks it down step by step on what needs to be done to do this?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Ineffiable posted:

They play badminton with wooden paddles on new years in Japan.

Aw man we never do things like that here in the West.

Just...y'know play New Leaf to get the special once a year item. I wonder if anybody's booting up any of the older entries on NYE for old times sake as well.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Hack your 3ds to play the fan translation of under rated game 'Mother 3'

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Aw man we never do things like that here in the West.

Just...y'know play New Leaf to get the special once a year item. I wonder if anybody's booting up any of the older entries on NYE for old times sake as well.

well you could either get drunk and try to do something involving coordination or just get more drunk

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
About Pokémon Picross: Are there any missions that require having 3 or more pokémon set, eventually? I accept that the game basically requires you to open up them purse strings eventually (in fact I am thinking of getting the 800 one time deal to get an energy bar extension and maybe a slot), but I want to see how far I can go, so to speak.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 1, 2016

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

About Pokémon Picross: Are there any missions that require having 3 or more pokémon set, eventually?

Yes.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Steamworld Heist question: Does anyone know if two Electrified Knuckles will stack for a 100% stun chance? That would make Billy Gill crazy powerful but my testing hasn't worked so far because I just keep murdering everyone in one hit. I'm gonna try on tougher enemies with someone who doesn't have a natural melee bonus, but it'll take a lot of tries to make sure I'm not just getting lucky.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

HenryEx posted:

If it's a cart game, the saves are stored on the cart itself. If it's a digital game, you'll need homebrew capabilities (which is currently incredibly easy, so you're in luck). They are on the SD, yes, but encrypted with a per-3DS key and not readable by another console.

Awesome, thanks. My wife wants to try New Leaf, but she can only do so on my 3ds, since we don't have one for her. If she likes it enough, I figured I could get her a 3ds of her own, provided I could transfer the save. Sounds like I just buy a cart and I'm good!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

With Animal Crossing specifically you can "move out" of one saved game and into another, so if you are both going to play its fine to go digital.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Note that with homebrew it's pretty easy, afaik, to transfer saves between carts using svdt.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Unlucky7 posted:

About Pokémon Picross: Are there any missions that require having 3 or more pokémon set, eventually? I accept that the game basically requires you to open up them purse strings eventually (in fact I am thinking of getting the 800 one time deal to get an energy bar extension and maybe a slot), but I want to see how far I can go, so to speak.

Yes. I forget when, but some missions ask for Pokemon combos that you just can't do without at least three slots.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Poala Bear posted:

So, hopefully some of you in this thread will bear with me and assist me with my lack of knowledge!
I've been "out of the loop" for years when it comes to playing ROMs on handhelds. Last time I did any of the sort was on the PSP, where it was a simple drag and drop file onto the Memory Stick and presto you can play .ISO and .CSO files off of the Memory Stick.

I have an (Old version) 3DS XL currently on 9.6.0-24U. I saw that it was announced that there's an exploit for 10.3 firmware or something.

I have a DSTWO card to play DS and GBA roms with no issue. However, that's because it's a simple drag and drop system onto the microSD card that fits into the DSTWO card, then turn on my 3DS, select the Flash Cart, and it loads up the homebrew to play the backups I have on the microSD.

I want to get a Gateway Flashcart, dump the 3DS games that I own, and then play back ups of my 3DS games so that I don't have to carry 5-6 game cartridges with me. Or.... (:filez:) whatever.
I was looking into what I would need to do this, but there's so many acronyms and shorthand phrasing and other stuff that I just don't know where to start.

Can someone break it down for me, or point me to a site that breaks it down step by step on what needs to be done to do this?
You can't play CIAs (read: games) if you're on a console with >9.2.

There's currently no way to downgrade. There likely won't be for another year or so.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is it time yet for the annual posting of game stats? Hope so, here's my 2015 figures:

207,445 Steps
248:08 hours of gameplay across 52 titles

85:25 Mario Golf World Tour
39:19 Super Smash Bros
21:09 Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer
12:44 Theatrhythm Curtain Call
11:54 Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash
11:32 StreetPass Mii Plaza

Everything else is less than 10 hours.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

jivjov posted:

Is it time yet for the annual posting of game stats?

No, actually.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
edit: ^^^ lol oops

101,622 steps
70 titles / 443:16

187:11 Super Smash Bros
39:24 Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
31:50 Mario Gold: World Tour
25:30 SteamWorld Heist (GOTY)
16:41 Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

2016 is gonna be nuts: Fire Emblem(s), Bravely Second, Dragon Quest(s), Pokemon (hopefully)

Immer fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 1, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

codenameFANGIO posted:

No, actually.

I mean, I guess I could have waited for local midnight...but I'm not planning on playing any more tonight

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm doing it anyway

Steps Taken

Titles Played

Play Time
1. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (336:16)
2. Kid Icarus: Uprising (207:27)
3. Pokemon X (130:18)
4. Project X Zone (67:00)
5. StreetPass Mii Plaza (66:07)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Me too!

Steps: 808,949

Fantasy Life- 196:49
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate- 156:10
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D- 122:10
Fire Emblem Awakening- 104:3
SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked- 103:47

Not bad this time around...