Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Nessus posted:

One guess is Marla Maples. She was also on those forms and if she said "Yes, I release them" I believe the Donald can't do poo poo nor dick about it, at least not in a timeframe of "before the election."

If it was Maples, why release just the state return first-pagers for just one year? Why not hand the NYT a box for every year they were married?

(Unless the NYT has more stuff to drop that they haven't mentioned).

canepazzo posted:

"Hillary Clinton on Assange "Can't we just drone this guy" -- report"

The thing is that what hurts Trump isn't usually the scandal, it's his lovely reactions to it. There are a lot of political maneuvers to deflect, dodge, or redirect attacks, and the Clintons are the masters at that art. I'd be surprised to see this go anywhere because Clinton has the tools to bat it down.

Night10194 posted:

I think we'll see a lot of them because the meltdown over Miss Universe leaves him open to them.

Right. Putting this out there without the narrative risks (a) it not really sticking if similar stuff isn't released and (b) being seen as biased and just writing a hit piece. But tacking onto an existing narrative is seen as a non-biased action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I don't think that drone thing is the story they've been hyping up. They didn't post it on their own site, it's super weak, and it's a day early.

Pretty standard Assange honestly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't think that drone thing is the story they've been hyping up. They didn't post it on their own site, it's super weak, and it's a day early.

This is how it has usually gone with them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maples is under nondisclosure agreements just like Ivana. She's more or less an employee of his now and somewhat stuck bring his toady.

Don't feel tok bad for anyone stupid or unethical enough to let Trump gently caress them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

This is how it has usually gone with them.

And let's be honest: who hasn't wanted to drone Assange?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ahaha of course Assange would think a joke about droning him is an earth-shattering revelation that will sink a Presidential candidate.

Like, there's so many ways to demonstrate it's a joke. Most of all though, you know that old line about "A good friend bails you out of prison, but a best friend is in the cell with you"? Yeah, the UK is that latter friend for the US. When y'all wanted to go into Iraq everyone else said either "lol don't be an idiot that's a terrible idea" or "fiiiiiinneeeee I guess we can spare six dudes and a 50 year old APC" but we said "Haha that sounds like a laugh, let's go!" and went balls-deep in Basra with you. If the US wanted something illegally done about Assange, you would have asked us and we'd have sent it to the relevant people at MI5 or whatever and got it done.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The "super weak" part isn't disqualifying--this is Wikileaks we're talking about--but I also agree this isn't the rumored leak. They'd post it on their own site if it was.

That said, as far as I know, the existence of a leak at all is just from a Reddit poster "close to Wikileaks," right? Maybe this is it, I dunno. We'll know in a couple days I guess.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Cythereal posted:

And let's be honest: who hasn't wanted to drone Assange?

This is the main thing I think that makes it really weak. Maybe Assange thinks tons of Americans love him, but he's basically reviled by the vast majority of people who know who he is. And the only people who would actually believe Hillary was serious were already in the tank for Assange.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
"I know what you did. In London. He was a hero and his blood is on your hands. I'll see you soon." Bourne let the phone drop to the pavement and opened up the trunk containing his rocket launcher.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Yeah when Assange was blowing the lid off of what was going on in Iraq without our knowledge I was more supportive of him but that was all because of Chelsea Manning basically sacrificing her own freedom to deliver Assange that info to take credit for, so now as I know more about him and have seen him interviewed a few times, I realize he's an egomaniacal shitheel. So it figures he thinks a US Gov't official joking about droning him is some huge lid-blowing revelation. rear end in a top hat. Who in the Pentagon hasn't wanted to drone him by now?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The other thing that makes me think this is it is that he was trying to hype it by cancelling the original announcement due to 'security concerns'.

Probably trying to play up 'MY LIFE IS IN DANGER FROM THE MIGHTY IMPERIALIST AMERIKKKA!'

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

The other thing that makes me think this is it is that he was trying to hype it by cancelling the original announcement due to 'security concerns'.

Probably trying to play up 'MY LIFE IS IN DANGER FROM THE MIGHTY IMPERIALIST AMERIKKKA!'

"I can't say this from a balcony in case Killary KKKlinton chooses that exact moment to drone strike the Ecuadorian embassy in the middle of London."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
truepundit is down

what is the source supposedly from?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Where did the original "there's gonna be a leak this week" rumor come from? Did Assange confirm it or is it just some Reddit posting?

I'm curious if this is the leak, or if that's still coming, or if there's a real "leak" at all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
"If we wanted to we totally could drone strike the Ecuadorean embassy in London. They wouldn't do poo poo. We're America and we can do whatever the gently caress we want." - Hillary Clinton
-rt.com

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

Where did the original "there's gonna be a leak this week" rumor come from? Did Assange confirm it or is it just some Reddit posting?

I'm curious if this is the leak, or if that's still coming, or if there's a real "leak" at all.

Some sleazy GOP types were hyping an "upcoming leak" up.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Night10194 posted:

No wonder Assange thinks it's so devastating: It's about him.

This.

Also the Republicans love the idea of people like him being assassinated more than anybody, so lol at the idea of this hurting Clinton in any way.

The only people it would offend are Lost Cause Bernouts who are voting for Jill Stein voting for Johnson never actually going to vote anyway.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sean10mm posted:

The only people it would offend are Lost Cause Bernouts who are voting for Jill Stein voting for Johnson never actually going to vote anyway.

Let's be real: Voting for Stein/Johnson is functionally equivalent to not voting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/AlanMCole/status/782932366255796225
:sad:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I knew his tax returns would prove he wasn't even a 1%-er.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Night10194 posted:

He probably has another big email dump to release. It's probably all innocuous emails - like Hillary telling her staff not to be stupid like last time and to remember that she wanted chips, guacamole AND salsa, not just chips and guacamole.

The mere fact that 1000s of emails get dumped will switch the headlines to "Another Clinton email leak" and make those who are not paying attention feel that there was more scandalous content on Hillary's wrong doings. The fact that Assange is planning to release it in the run up to the VP debate suggests he knows he doesn't have something earth-shattering. If he had something substantial he would let the debate coverage fizzle out and release something just in time to make the Thursday evening news, dominate the news on Friday, and then influence the next debate where Hillary has to use that as a stage to defend herself for the first time - and likely come out the loser.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
Does the Secretary of State even have the authority to order a drone strike?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i would vote for a president who supports drone-strikes on rapists.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusions posted:

Are you talking about a generic SoS or specifically Iron Abuela?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Reminder that a significant proportion of the people who will be upset by Clinton's joke probably supported Rand "I support drone striking suspects fleeing the police inside America" Paul in the Republican primary.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Conclusions posted:

From what I've learned watching Homeland, the only people authorized to order drone strikes are the President and a middle-management attractive woman in her 30s.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Conclusions posted:

I'd genuinely like to know that too. Obviously Obama isn't supervising each strike, so who does? Some general? Some CIA directive? Some dude from middle management?

Edit:

Inferior Third Season posted:

From what I've learned watching Homeland, the only people authorized to order drone strikes are the President and a middle-management attractive woman in her 30s.

I guess the last one it is then.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/rickhasen/status/782675917285896192
https://twitter.com/BrendanNyhan/status/782940706885304321

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

greatn posted:

Trump in those stories is doing things that most men are guilty of, and if I'm being honest, I'm guilty of at different times in my life, it makes me very happy that this kind of behavior is being called out as wrong and bad.
Read it again. He was pointing to women in the room and saying "would you gently caress her? I'd gently caress her - wouldn't you?"

That's so over-the-top it'd be out of place in an episode of Mad Men.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Conclusions posted:

No.

She isn't in the chain of command.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Whenever leaks are foreshadowed, they inevitably turn out to be nothing. The real big leaks, like the old Trump tax returns, drop out of nowhere because they speak for themselves. Leaks that are set up beforehand are more like comic book teasers - "Next week, SOMEBODY DIES!" (turns out to be the X-Men's janitor)

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'd genuinely like to know that too. Obviously Obama isn't supervising each strike, so who does? Some general? Some CIA directive? Some dude from middle management?

Edit:

I guess the last one it is then.

I thought one of the only really questionable things we discovered during the Clinton email investigation was that she ordered drone strikes through the private server. I may have that wrong.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Farchanter posted:

I thought one of the only really questionable things we discovered during the Clinton email investigation was that she ordered drone strikes through the private server. I may have that wrong.

I think she notified the present workers one was about to happen

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/782942296748752896
Wall Street :shillary:, everybody.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/782942494816428032
:smith:

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

drat if only Scalia was still alive and he'd point out that immigration policy is clearly constitutionally the purview of the executive branch and the federal government and ahahaha yeah I'm sure Heritage already had his opinion written before he died

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

With the Trump tax returns, everyone can see it going this way.

About Wikileaks, clearly Clinton was speaking of drone striking Assad, but Assange just has to make everything about him.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So Assange's would-be October Surprise is something Clinton might have said according to "sources"?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

Reminder that a significant proportion of the people who will be upset by Clinton's joke probably supported Rand "I support drone striking suspects fleeing the police inside America" Paul in the Republican primary.

We Republicans liked mandatory insurance when it was done by a Republican.

It's not the message, it's the messenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Young Freud posted:

About Wikileaks, clearly Clinton was speaking of drone striking Assad, but Assange just has to make everything about him.

It was during and because of the cable leaks. Assad had nothing to do with that.

• Locked thread