Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I ended up just putting a Wireless Bridge in our attic to cover the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

orange juche posted:

It's definitely good enough for what you're looking for, the cheapest ones are 200mbps, but it varies depending on if your lines are garbage, but VOIP and a fax line doesn't take more than 64kbit/s, which is not even a drop in the bucket of the capacity of even the cheapest powerline adapter.

Thanks again for all the help man, this seems to be the best route. Coupled with this vonage one:

https://smile.amazon.com/Vonage-Phone-Service-HT802-VD-Device/dp/B01C50QMEU?_encoding=UTF8&keywords=vonage&qid=1486436115&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

do wifi VOIP modems/whatevers not exist?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 7, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Controversial opinion: it's okay to like things and be passionate about them. But JFC don't be weird about it!

Basically this.

Or be weird about it somewhere socially acceptable, like conventions or parties in mom's basement. Going around in full cosplay mode in day to day life is going to draw worse stares and commentary than my, "look at that goddamn assclown."

It's a free-ish country, expect people to vocalize freely if you go to the store dressed like a pony or in something completely asinine. Don't ruin your fantasy by subjecting the public to it, because we'll gladly ruin it for you.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Thanks again for all the help man, this seems to be the best route. Coupled with this vonage one:

https://smile.amazon.com/Vonage-Phone-Service-HT802-VD-Device/dp/B01C50QMEU?_encoding=UTF8&keywords=vonage&qid=1486436115&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

do wifi VOIP modems/whatevers not exist?

they should, alternatively there is this:

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-GWU627/dp/B004UAKCS6

no powerline poo poo needed.

Actually no that thing uses WPS which is garbage code for bad people. Don't leave WPS enabled on your wifi. You can brute force a WPS pin (no matter how complicated your password is) in a couple hours, so leaving it enabled is bad.

E: I was thinking WPA for 30 second timer, but WPS can be cracked in a couple hours, no matter how complicated your wifi password is, and it is enabled by default. Don't leave that poo poo enabled yo!

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 7, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm really impressed with this Kindle Fire tablet

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Basically this.

Or be weird about it somewhere socially acceptable, like conventions or parties in mom's basement. Going around in full cosplay mode in day to day life is going to draw worse stares and commentary than my, "look at that goddamn assclown."

It's a free-ish country, expect people to vocalize freely if you go to the store dressed like a pony or in something completely asinine. Don't ruin your fantasy by subjecting the public to it, because we'll gladly ruin it for you.

My experience is that people are more accepting of constant cosplay over the other nerd issues, like lovely hygiene.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I just set up my old firestick with KODI and, wow, it's pretty nifty. Still getting used to it and trying to figure it out. The UI and navigating kind of sucks (using wookie) only because I'm trying to figure out what's the best add-ons to use because there is quite a bit of options

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm really impressed with this Kindle Fire tablet

Huh? I just downloaded kindle on my phone and regular tablet, because Amazon cheaped out on their post Kindle Fire HDX tablets, and made them pretty much garbage.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

orange juche posted:

Huh? I just downloaded kindle on my phone and regular tablet, because Amazon cheaped out on their post Kindle Fire HDX tablets, and made them pretty much garbage.

It was $80 and does everything I'd want from a portable media platform :shrug:

I'm not expecting an iPad.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kuroyama posted:

My experience is that people are more accepting of constant cosplay over the other nerd issues, like lovely hygiene.

I....wore my old WW2 helmet today while clearing downed trees on my street because a tree limb came within 5 feet of giving me a really bad day.

And I liked it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

anyone get am amazon phone heh

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

LingcodKilla posted:

I....wore my old WW2 helmet today while clearing downed trees on my street because a tree limb came within 5 feet of giving me a really bad day.

And I liked it.

Didn't we have this conversation a month ago about all the old military equipment we kept and still use?

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I just set up my old firestick with KODI and, wow, it's pretty nifty. Still getting used to it and trying to figure it out. The UI and navigating kind of sucks (using wookie) only because I'm trying to figure out what's the best add-ons to use because there is quite a bit of options

Started with Wookie based on recommendations but have since abandoned it.
Depends on what you watch. Exodus and SALTS are two of the best.
Skin/UI - Titan is good, and you can have it almost looking like Netflix.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SwampDonkey posted:

Started with Wookie based on recommendations but have since abandoned it.
Depends on what you watch. Exodus and SALTS are two of the best.
Skin/UI - Titan is good, and you can have it almost looking like Netflix.

I see exodus, isn't that part of or under wookie? still confused on how this all works

-edit nvm I see it

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 7, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kuroyama posted:

Didn't we have this conversation a month ago about all the old military equipment we kept and still use?

Yeah but it was mostly socks.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Incoming derail: Smartwool ftw

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I see exodus, isn't that part of or under wookie? still confused on how this all works

Wookie is just a "build" where someone has combined addons into a package and added their horrendous backgrounds etc.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Godholio posted:

Yeah but it was mostly socks.

You guys just kept buying the same type of socks you used while in, and not the exact same ones, right?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SwampDonkey posted:

Wookie is just a "build" where someone has combined addons into a package and added their horrendous backgrounds etc.

nvm i see it yeah looks like i already have most the add-ons then

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i run my PC off of powerline ethernet in my garage, so i didnt have to run cable

it works just fine. they've gotten much much MUCH better in the past few years.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kuroyama posted:

lol I'm not a WW2 vet...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've considered power line adapters but all the reviews say you only get like 10-30% of the performance that the manufacturer claims. A gigabit adapter might only get you 300 mbps even with perfect wiring.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kuroyama posted:

You guys just kept buying the same type of socks you used while in, and not the exact same ones, right?

I've still got a couple of old pairs, but I wasn't exactly stomping around in the sand and mud as a career field.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I purged my house of green socks and tan shirts very soon after getting out, it was cathartic as gently caress

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wear Smartwool socks exclusively and gently caress anyone who tries to confront me about them not being exactly green.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Smartwool socks have kind of gotten down in quality. My newer ones all have holes worn in the heels. Check out "darn tough" socks, they're really good.

Their light cushion are great as well as their ultra lights and they of course have boot socks and such

Buca di Bepis posted:

I've considered power line adapters but all the reviews say you only get like 10-30% of the performance that the manufacturer claims. A gigabit adapter might only get you 300 mbps even with perfect wiring.

Thankfully just for a phone line so shouldn't matter in my case

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Buca di Bepis posted:

i get 50 mpbs from a 100mbps connection on my powerline ethernet

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Godholio posted:

I've still got a couple of old pairs, but I wasn't exactly stomping around in the sand and mud as a career field.

Me neither, but I figured you'd all been out long enough that your socks had made it to the ends of their lives.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Socks, no, those are long gone.

The ninja suit thermals, however, 12 years and still going strong since issue, with regular seasonal use.

Got my first run in a pair of bottoms this year. A sad day, indeed. Still gonna wear the drat things out.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

On the fifth episode of Narcos now, and it's still amazing.

Started watching that A&E Scientology series with Leah Rimini during casual workouts, and while I'm not the biggest fan of her, and that Mike Rinder (former Scientology head honcho or something) has an incredibly annoying accent, the personal stories they cover are pretty loving heart-breaking.

I've seen those big three Scientology documentaries that came out in the last couple of years (including that weird one with the gonzo-journalist british dude), and they go into the actual history of Scientology and the incredibly fuckery behind the scenes, but this show focuses on the actual people that quit and what they went through. Current episode is about the crushing story of how the "church" wrecked a pair of twin brothers and their family. poo poo sucks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

she was on conan recently. she seems legit

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Iron Maiden is going to be playing in the bay area.
Should I go? Yes/Yes?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I'm a worthless idiot grunt who hosed up last quarter in community college because I'm a dumb grunt, but I'm feeling good today because I got a call back for a security guard job. Gonna be having an interview soon. Buddy of mine works for the same company and from all he's told me it's a good place to work for. At least if I get this job it's one thing in my life that isn't poo poo :unsmith:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

she was on conan recently. she seems legit

She was on stern a few months back and gave a super insightful and funny interview about it. I used to hate her because King of Queens was dogshit but realized Kevin James and Patton Oswalt were the reasons for that.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Kevin James carries most of that fault, Patton just needed a job. Or so I'd like to believe.

There's no good reason Kevin James should have a tv show.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Leah Remini is hot but holy gently caress I couldn't stand her in that show.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh hey, those Marko Kloos books (Frontlines) are on sale for a buck apiece on amazon kindle store. Or at least they were last night.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

orange juche posted:

they should, alternatively there is this:

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-GWU627/dp/B004UAKCS6

no powerline poo poo needed.

Actually no that thing uses WPS which is garbage code for bad people. Don't leave WPS enabled on your wifi. You can brute force a WPS pin (no matter how complicated your password is) in a couple hours, so leaving it enabled is bad.

E: I was thinking WPA for 30 second timer, but WPS can be cracked in a couple hours, no matter how complicated your wifi password is, and it is enabled by default. Don't leave that poo poo enabled yo!

Yea right. I got the medal for strong passwords in my annual cyber awareness challenge CBT. I'd love to see someone try to move my mouse or print goatse on my network. It's impervious!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Oh hey, those Marko Kloos books (Frontlines) are on sale for a buck apiece on amazon kindle store. Or at least they were last night.

I really enjoy those books. The first one tries really hard to be Black Hawk Down in the future and after that they turn into straight pulp sci-fi that's entertaining and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

Iron Maiden is going to be playing in the bay area.
Should I go? Yes/Yes?

How is this even a question?

Get your tightest jeans on and go go go!

• Locked thread