Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

so what's going to happen? I run Win7, get the free Win10 install and then a few months later the OS turns into ransomware?

ui dunno probably not but imn not gonna rule it out at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i mena no one expected them to put three operating systems into a games console or make its gamepads require firmware updates either but here we are

i mean rememeber what they were going poto put in the xbone originally. thats the microsoft we're dealing with....

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

anthonypants posted:

imo in the best case scenario, windows 10 upgrade edition turns into windows 10 home basic live powered by bing, with ads and/or nagware. if microsoft can get people to install windows 10 through systray popups, just imagine what else they can get those people to install!!! :homebrew:

lol no note even MS are that dumb. no one wants to start paying a monthly fee for something they own or got for free.

just look at what happened when Valve tried to monetize Skyrim modding, that lasted all of three days. if MS expects people to start paying monthly for features that were in Win7 or suffer through popup ads there's going to be such a shitstorm.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

all that being said, there wasn't as much pushback to the "solitaire subscription" model as i would have expected

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

lol no note even MS are that dumb. no one wants to start paying a monthly fee for something they own or got for free.

just look at what happened when Valve tried to monetize Skyrim modding, that lasted all of three days. if MS expects people to start paying monthly for features that were in Win7 or suffer through popup ads there's going to be such a shitstorm.

xbox live for windows gold

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

univbee posted:

all that being said, there wasn't as much pushback to the "solitaire subscription" model as i would have expected
also the completely getting rid of technet

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
go pro or go home

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lol, don't you people recognize this?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

a tilted picture of a tilted picture of a tilted picture of a...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Management posted:

no

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

why would anyone recognise anything from wired ever

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

gently caress, even the screenshot of the home edition desktop is skewed more.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

axolotl farmer posted:

you know slashdot thought this was going to happen over goddamn Windows XP

it's not slashdot's fault that microsoft's so incompetent and slow as to take ten years to roll out a terrible idea

in 2001 they were also paranoid about office going subscription, and welp here we are

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i heard on slashdot that billg only gives to charity for the tax writeoffs, c/d?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

so what's going to happen? I run Win7, get the free Win10 install and then a few months later the OS turns into ransomware?

you're going to install win 10 and then in 2 years win 10.1 will come out and you will either pay for an upgrade or stay on win 10.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

you're going to install win 10 and then in 2 years win 10.1 will come out and you will either pay for an upgrade or stay on win 10.

I thought they were going to a continuous upgrade model, hence the subscription

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes it will technically be a subscription but the updates will only come out once per year

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
you can also expect inconsistent naming to continue in the future, where the first 2 major updates will be 10.1, then 10.2

then following will be windows 10.2 Plus!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

hahaha look at me

i am leaving my house to buy software

hahahah

software on a box

hahahahahaha

on a box from a store

hahahahhahahaha

the software is windows

*dies from lmaoing*

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

no no no, you have to think more like microsoft does, which apparently involves looking at your direct competitor and choosing a name that makes you seem one better, except when you don't

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

no no no, you have to think more like microsoft does, which apparently involves looking at your direct competitor and choosing a name that makes you seem one better, except when you don't

But that was Windows XP

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
they should just include a license with each computer (paid for by the oem) , give free upgrades for the next system if your computer can handle it, and then if nerds want to install it on their gaming rigs then you charge them big bucks

basically the current system but with free upgrades

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Oh btw to update win pho to the newest version I had to factory wipe it and go from 8.1 > 10> 10166.

Worth it though, win pho 8.1 is a total pile of cat piss.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the third Xbox is called Xbox one.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

theultimo posted:

But that was Windows XP

so it should be pronounced windows 10p?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

theultimo posted:

win pho is a total pile of cat piss.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the 10th windows was called windows 7

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

so are they going to rename windows 10 to "el admiral?"

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

pretty sure we had this one in the house at some point

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

hahaha look at me

i am leaving my house to buy software

hahahah

software on a box

hahahahahaha

on a box from a store

hahahahhahahaha

the software is windows

*dies from lmaoing*

it will come on a shiny plastic disc, lol

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
It's sad, win pho 10 is shaping up great, but it's too late.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
imagine being the engineer that spent the last 10 weekends at work trying to ship winpho 10

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

they should just include a license with each computer (paid for by the oem) , give free upgrades for the next system if your computer can handle it, and then if nerds want to install it on their gaming rigs then you charge them big bucks

basically the current system but with free upgrades
but no one is buying computers anymore

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

anthonypants posted:

but no one is buying computers anymore

yeah they're ubying macs instead

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Stux posted:

yeah they're ubying smartphones and tablets instead

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the data doesnt lie, macs are a growth market, only windows based pcs are experiencing a sluimp. probably because windows is bad

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Stux posted:

the data doesnt lie, macs are a growth market, only windows based pcs are experiencing a sluimp. probably because windows is bad

1 quarter means nothing in context, especially volume.

For instance, Xbox one shipped more fy14, does it mean buy Xbox?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

This POS toaster is up 200% YoY! Invest in its future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

theultimo posted:

This POS toaster is up 200% YoY! Invest in its future!

agreed, dont invest in that, invest instead in my jedi council member yarael poof line of toasters that can do an entire split baguette in one go

• Locked thread