Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i just clicked on this thread for the first time in over a year and lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Incomplete Fish posted:

It's been like 9 years.

i was going to make a graph of your post quality over time but the whole of statpedia worked against me

chiding me for entering data into an open field because i didnt name the table? ux 101, gold star

giving someone plotting time 78 checkboxes of years? sounds good

randomly plotting a table after vaguely giving an incomplete message, only to delete the data? lol just lol

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Incomplete Fish posted:

I came here to mention the HDHomerun DVR kickstarter by silicon dust wherein they promised a bunch of poo poo, ignore beta user feedback, and are most likely gonna release a terrible product people pledged a lot of money for in a couple months but it's w/e. I was reading a few pages back in the thread and got acquainted with the Derek Smart of Statistic's grating personality, noticed hes pushed a kickstarter three times so far without really adding anything to it, and thinks he knows better than the couple of people who actually offered some good feedback, so I'm gonna unload on this out of touch nerd who is trying to monetize reinventing multiple wheels

Let me preface this by saying I don't usually post here, but I do lurk, and I don't think anyone is gonna chide me for roasting the lovely-Web App Guy. (there was a goatse a couple posts ago). Also, let me say that I am probably in your demographic of "people you desperately wish would give you their research for free". I don't want to divulge a bunch of personal information on myself but I guess I can cut it down to Upper Level University Student Who Uses R a lot.

All those people who said that "university research belongs to the university" are unequivocally true. Not only that, your rebuttal was.... what about undergrads? aughhh

Let me get to my main point though. I spent maybe 20-30 min pushing buttons on your convoluted, unintuitive interface in a vain attempt to just coax SOME usability out of it. Nope, try copy pasting something directly from excel into your lovely Create Table thing.

How come the "Select Source" dropdown.... shows other users previous searches? Is this intended behaviour? It's not even helpful most of the time its raw URLs. Do you intend to store every search ever queried just incase someone types a magic combination of words that tricks your thing into doing something useful?

I also find it hilarious that you've mentioned working at Wolfram but cannot get your thing to interface with it in a meaningful way other than directly sending it my query and then showing me exactly what I would see if I had went to W-A myself after watching it load for 10+ seconds. If do a search for something that returns nothing but a set, why can't I make a table right from the search screen w/ that data? I'm going to stop before I accidentally give you constructive feedback.

You would think one failed kickstarter would be enough. But it took you three to steal a measly $500 from people quite possibly dumber and more out of touch with academia than yourself. There is no emergent need for this to exist at all. Now, I know you're gonna rebut this with "Features cost money", "not done yet", "take your meds", etc etc but I would like to close with one final point. You have probably noticed that a lot of people in this thread have yelled at you for asking goons to offer suggestions on your Expensive Mess and have been told that nobody works for free; yet the entire basis of your little time waster project is to get other people to give you their work for free so you can wrap it in your lovely blue-n-white style sheet and eventually make money off of others work.

Theres already a wonderful (already successful) organization focused on making peer reviewed user submitted content accessible to the world, you are twelve years too late. The only other thing your web app offers beyond that is quite possibly the worst set of tools for visually representing data that I have ever seen. I don't get it. FFS Word 2003 produces more visually appealing graphs/tables/plots because they actually let you /change how they look/. I suggest that you put the entire thing on github or something and use it as resume fodder. It's glaringly obvious you've done this entire thing yourself. You use more extraneous commas on your about/feedback/sales/terms pages than I have in this entire vitriolic, spittle-covered hate post. Also: http://statpedia.com/index.php/buisness BUISNESS

Don't quit your day job. Really. In fact if you ask me you should get a kickstarter going for a new college degree and try something else. Just not statistics.

edit: holy moly hes been posting about this thing in this thread since '12 and its still no better.

edit again: im sorry, but this whole thing is like an onion. You worked as a "User Experience Designer", at Wolfram? My god, if this site is your best showing no wonder you only lasted that long.

please don't realpost in yospos

especially in regards to a guy who literally has schizophrenia

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

bipolar maybe, probs not schizophrenia

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

a tragic cocktail of bipolar and dunning-krueger

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I doubt that post did anybody any good other than it was fun to write

much like etc. etc.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
poo poo pee pee doody

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

minivanmegafun posted:

omg that's amazing. I wonder how much of it depends on fiddling with the scope's scales and timing and how much is just straight sound plotting

it is entirely just sound plotting on a scope in xy mode. there are libraries to make this trivial, like that doom on an oscilloscope (or whatever dumb old fps it was) used

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Ian have you considered improving your software with test driven development?? here is your first test:

[ ] does anyone want to use my turd

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

works for me

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well at least they're honest

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Looks aight to me

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
Incomplete Fish,

Haven't you seen the updated Business page post? http://msjup4.axshare.com/#p=businesspage

Clearly not a very good lurker! If I gamify it, who says I can't do it with real money revenue sharing?

Ever think maybe I went to Wolfram to create better UX while obtaining valuable experience? Did you see the post on the free UCI Machine Learning data?? Mr. "I work in R" la tee da

I don't think he gets how vast the statistics realm is. A 10 year old can come along and make a stat about how many pieces of fresh fruit they have each day over a year.

Statpedia is going to allow d3js charts to be embedded and will have the API so that one doesn't have to interact with the interface at all.

Seriously a hater.

and just for the record, I like blue and white. It is peaceful; reminds me of skies, clouds and oceans.

Yes, Dr. Honked and others have posted content that is actually relevant and helpful, yours on the other hand was a complete waste of time reading.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Ian McLean posted:

Incomplete Fish,

Haven't you seen the updated Business page post? http://msjup4.axshare.com/#p=businesspage

Clearly not a very good lurker! If I gamify it, who says I can't do it with real money revenue sharing?

Ever think maybe I went to Wolfram to create better UX while obtaining valuable experience? Did you see the post on the free UCI Machine Learning data?? Mr. "I work in R" la tee da

I don't think he gets how vast the statistics realm is. A 10 year old can come along and make a stat about how many pieces of fresh fruit they have each day over a year.

Statpedia is going to allow d3js charts to be embedded and will have the API so that one doesn't have to interact with the interface at all.

Seriously a hater.

and just for the record, I like blue and white. It is peaceful; reminds me of skies, clouds and oceans.

Yes, Dr. Honked and others have posted content that is actually relevant and helpful, yours on the other hand was a complete waste of time reading.

what the gently caress is going on in this thread

BiohazrD posted:

please don't realpost in yospos

especially in regards to a guy who literally has schizophrenia

oh

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ian i've asked you like 10 times, but:

1. who is your site aimed at?
2. why would they pay for it?
3. how is losethos coming along these days?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sweevo posted:

ian i've asked you like 10 times, but:

1. who is your site aimed at?
2. why would they pay for it?
3. how is losethos coming along these days?
i think the answer to the first question is 10-year-old migrant farm workers

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
i don't understand why anyone responds to ian at this point

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vicas posted:

i don't understand why anyone responds to ian at this point

were gamifying the response

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

is statpedia going to get stats from mining public data repositories, or is it all expected to be entered by users?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lets make some magic, ian

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

axolotl farmer posted:

is statpedia going to get stats from mining public data repositories, or is it all expected to be entered by users?

ian is going to employ a team of two to enter the stats manually.

i can only assume that's what the mumbai team in his original business plan was for anyway

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ian McLean posted:

Incomplete Fish,

oh man he finally replied back ive been waiting for this
shutup nerd

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Ian McLean posted:

was a complete waste of time reading.

Dsyp

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ian McLean posted:

you're going to let members of the public embed js on a site you host?

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're going to let members of the public embed js on a site you host?

Yes and you are clearly retarded. http://www.w3.org/TR/cors/

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
take your meds, ian

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ian McLean posted:

Yes and you are clearly retarded. http://www.w3.org/TR/cors/

this link is totally irrelevant

as for developmental delay, i'm not the one talking about hosting user-contributed js lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i prefer http://c3js.org/

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
lol @

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
pleasurekevins patreon

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Ian do you really work for Wolfram?
can you add one of those character-like curve definitions to Wolfram alpha?
I suspect YOSPOS will dedicate a considerable sum to statpedia if you make Wolfram alpha correctly define and plot a "goatse-like curve". must have sufficient fidelity to identify both rings. we await your response!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ian owns. i love ian. follow your dreams, ian

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

oh that pleasurekevin

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

im going to have to vote 5 as my thread in is this pic, however im not going to like it

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

im going to have to vote 5 as my thread in is this pic, however im not going to like it

We threw your vote into the pile.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
What if we made bitcoin but without the mining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

quote:

Risks and challenges

Rimbit will be distributed upon receipt of your purchase and email correspondence with your wallet address. This is subject upon us reaching our funding goal and will occur at the end of the campaign

hmmm a risk and challenges section that doesn't list any risks, that's a good sign

• Locked thread