Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Unsurprisingly, the user comments page on the Rokblok kickstarter is full of "This sucks, it sounds terrible and has inconsistent speed" comments just posted within the past couple of days.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pinkdonut/rokblok-a-new-spin-on-vinyl/comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Isn't that clearly intended to just be a toy? Why are people mad it's not audiophile equipment?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Isn't that clearly intended to just be a toy?

No.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
even if it was, it sounds like real trash and is great for destroying records.

I don't think anybody would request 'audiophile' sound from it, just 'acceptable' would probably make the novelty ok. But that's beyond dollar store tinny.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I don't think anybody would request 'audiophile' sound from it, just 'acceptable' would probably make the novelty ok. But that's beyond dollar store tinny.

It's easy to argue it's not worth the money but even the pitch videos have it sounding tinny as hell.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Isn't that clearly intended to just be a toy? Why are people mad it's not audiophile equipment?

The original VW hippie bus things from the 70s were intended to just be a toy thing you'd use with records you didn't care about. But they cost the equivalent of about $15-$20 today so it was also toy prices.

This thing costs like $89 or more when its not on sale, sounds worse, and rips up your records more than the shoddy 70s toy, which it should have been at least as good at playing records as.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

It's easy to argue it's not worth the money but even the pitch videos have it sounding tinny as hell.

It's not just the onboard speakers. One of the big selling points and only real change from the classic $20 toy from the 60s was the Bluetooth capability and it's objectively terrible at playing the record regardless of speakers, the follow-up video Techmoan put has a comparison of the RokBlok and a regular turntable both using the same Bluetooth speakers and it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYjDXgPDU94&t=44s

Even if it's a toy, buying a toy that doesn't work sucks. Especially when it costs $100.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
That is comically bad.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

It's not just the onboard speakers. One of the big selling points and only real change from the classic $20 toy from the 60s was the Bluetooth capability and it's objectively terrible at playing the record regardless of speakers, the follow-up video Techmoan put has a comparison of the RokBlok and a regular turntable both using the same Bluetooth speakers and it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYjDXgPDU94&t=44s

Even if it's a toy, buying a toy that doesn't work sucks. Especially when it costs $100.

I like how the "antenna" apparently isn't actually attached to anything because everything bluetooth just uses a trace on the circuit board.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can see the BT trace antenna in the video too.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

C.M. Kruger posted:

I like how the "antenna" apparently isn't actually attached to anything because everything bluetooth just uses a trace on the circuit board.

I thought that was the start/stop switch, the idea being that turning it off by sticking your hand out was easier than having to pick it up again.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Little safe:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ikeyp-the-world-s-smartest-personal-safe-smartphone-health--3

Is really lovely:

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-42634501/ces-2018-ikeyp-smart-safe-proves-easy-to-crack-open

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pro-click. You'd think that the issue with a wi-fi safe would be haxxxx but ...nah.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat, I didn't think to account for the camera man.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Amazing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:lol: a safe made of cheap plastic is easy to open?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Most consumer grade safe are pretty bad. Safes that aren't easily broken into cost $$$$ though, and even a lovely safe will deter casual burglars most of the time if you've properly secured it to something. So like, iunno, better than nothing. Except that one, which may as well be nothing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ReidRansom posted:

Most consumer grade safe are pretty bad. Safes that aren't easily broken into cost $$$$ though, and even a lovely safe will deter casual burglars most of the time if you've properly secured it to something. So like, iunno, better than nothing. Except that one, which may as well be nothing.

Without even knowing the secret, one look at it makes me think a single hit with a sledge hammer could easily crack open the housing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Iron Crowned posted:

Without even knowing the secret, one look at it makes me think a single hit with a sledge hammer could easily crack open the housing.

Sledgehammer is being generous. This looks like something that would crack from a regular claw hammer, if not something even worse or smaller. Like, maybe a drop from a mild height.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SpacePig posted:

Sledgehammer is being generous. This looks like something that would crack from a regular claw hammer, if not something even worse or smaller. Like, maybe a drop from a mild height.

I like destruction

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ReidRansom posted:

This is absolutely true. Most consumer safes/gun safes/etc aren't actually safes, they're "Residential Security Containers." The UL rating is that they're supposed to defeat entry for a period of five minutes by someone armed with a short prybar or small sledgehammer. So really they're about as secure as a locking gang box on a job site. Real safes get up into the thousands of dollars and weigh enough that you have to start being concerned about floor loading. Really, if the metal on your safe is measured in gauge rather than in fractions of an inch, it's not a safe.

But this thing? Jesus. Yes, that feeble friction arm will really keep it secure in a cupboard.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phanatic posted:

This is absolutely true. Most consumer safes/gun safes/etc aren't actually safes, they're "Residential Security Containers." The UL rating is that they're supposed to defeat entry for a period of five minutes by someone armed with a short prybar or small sledgehammer. So really they're about as secure as a locking gang box on a job site. Real safes get up into the thousands of dollars and weigh enough that you have to start being concerned about floor loading. Really, if the metal on your safe is measured in gauge rather than in fractions of an inch, it's not a safe.

But this thing? Jesus. Yes, that feeble friction arm will really keep it secure in a cupboard.

You could attach it with some wood screws through the back of the housing

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Iron Crowned posted:

I like destruction

I mean, if your aim is to destroy both the safe and the things inside, then by all means go to town.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

You could attach it with some wood screws through the back of the housing

And then easily yank it right off of the wood screws because the body is ABS plastic.

All I can think of that this is useful for is to stop a housesitter or babysitter from stealing your meds. It's the ultimate in "locks are for honest people," because it's sure not keeping anyone who wants to steal it from stealing it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Phanatic posted:

And then easily yank it right off of the wood screws because the body is ABS plastic.

All I can think of that this is useful for is to stop a housesitter or babysitter from stealing your meds. It's the ultimate in "locks are for honest people," because it's sure not keeping anyone who wants to steal it from stealing it.

And at that point you can get a sturdier box for cheaper.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
But does that sturdier, cheaper box have wifi capabilities to let me know that somebody stole my safe?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The most useful security feature on my gun safe is that it's heavy enough that you'd need, like, 4 guys to carry it. The two locks are probably really goddamn simple to pick.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

I wonder if they'll make a new version that's Fonzie proof

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:discourse:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you're a regular person the pretty much the only real use you'll get out of a safe is being able to provide plausible deniability against a cop searching your home or car without your consent and in that case this works just as well as anything I guess.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I would say rather that the primary purpose of safes for most people is that you get one that's rated against fire and water damage for X length of time, and put your important documents in there so that hopefully your poo poo won't get burned out by the time the fire crew can show up and take care of things.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

I would say rather that the primary purpose of safes for most people is that you get one that's rated against fire and water damage for X length of time, and put your important documents in there so that hopefully your poo poo won't get burned out by the time the fire crew can show up and take care of things.

This is completely correct.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fishmech posted:

Or you could just scan your documents and keep digital copies at home and stick the originals in a safe deposit box.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Phanatic posted:

My grandpa had his will and documents in a "document box" he took home with him when ww2 ended. He died some 15 years ago, and we needed them. Naturally, both the lock and the key were rusty, and the lock failed. It was a tiny safe, just large enough for a fat stack of letter sized papers on the inside, but it weighed a loving ton, because the walls of it were like an inch thick. Took us 3 days to get that thing to open without destroying the papers inside :v: Many drill bits were ruined that weekend.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Truga posted:

My grandpa had his will and documents in a "document box" he took home with him when ww2 ended. He died some 15 years ago, and we needed them. Naturally, both the lock and the key were rusty, and the lock failed. It was a tiny safe, just large enough for a fat stack of letter sized papers on the inside, but it weighed a loving ton, because the walls of it were like an inch thick. Took us 3 days to get that thing to open without destroying the papers inside :v: Many drill bits were ruined that weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjnJk5V9nSM sounds accurate.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

fishmech posted:

Fire ratings are mostly bullshit, too.

This page is gun-safe related but given that documents are even more fragile than guns it's probably a good read for most people:

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-fire-ratings/

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I had always assumed home safes were so your kids/babysitters/in-laws didn't take your cash/guns/drugs/grandma's wedding ring without you knowing, not to protect against actual burglars.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Holy poo poo! Bubble Hat Cage Hat dude is back!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1401357387/bubble-hat-cage-hat-football-head-protector?ref=category_newest&ref=discovery

Doesn't look like he even updated the Bubble Cage Hat or his video this time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Broke dick piece of poo poo drill

Damion Poitier is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Phanatic posted:

And the manual lock is just a standard office desk / old computer / whatever lock that everyone has a key for somewhere.