Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

From my search the last Blaze effect printed below rare was actual Blaze in 10th Edition. Since then we've had Banefire, Crater's Claws, Demonfire, Devil's Play and Red Sun's Zenith at rare.

The last time we had Blaze with upside below rare was Disintegrate in 5th edition, around 20 years ago. Ghitu Fire was already at rare by Invasion.

e: actually my search missed Fireball which was in M12. Still they always seem to put "Blaze that's a bit harder to stop" at rare.

I mean, we had Rolling Thunder in BFZ, Ravagaing Blaze in Origins, and Volcanic Geyser in M14, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I mean it's on the unlikely side, but there are cases of people who have stalkers or whatever to the point where they have to ask people to avoid tagging them in social media and stuff

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I sure as hell wouldn't want to be part of a deck tech. That is optional right? Nick Miller sucks and the time between rounds is already short enough.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 20, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Elyv posted:

I mean, we had Rolling Thunder in BFZ, Ravagaing Blaze in Origins, and Volcanic Geyser in M14, for instance.
Cards that cost XRR rather than XR

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Cards that cost XRR rather than XR

Same functionality, though. Hell, Rolling Thunder is almost certainly better than new Disintegrate in limited.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Elyv posted:

Same functionality, though. Hell, Rolling Thunder is almost certainly better than new Disintegrate in limited.

They have the same functionality in the sense that Shock or Searing Spear have the same functionality as Lightning Bolt.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rolling Thunder was one of the best common removal spells ever but it's not better than Fireball or Disintegrate.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

If you're all worried about being on camera you probably can't deal with the tournament environment well enough to have any success in it.

This is so loving mcmagic it hurts. As if being uncomfortable on a camera makes you a bad magic player or something. God drat dude.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Clearly no one here has ever done well at an open. Outside of the top 8 you can decline to be on camera.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Clearly no one here has ever done well at an open. Outside of the top 8 you can decline to be on camera.

My hope is to one day win an open with the dumbest deck.

I've lost the opportunity with Abzan Aristocrats unless we get some really good die effects in SoI

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The only reason I can think of is if you've called in sick to work to attend a tournament and someone at your work is likely to watch the stream

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

In my last draft of the format. Deceiver of Form revealing Ruination Guide is pretty drat sweet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I will not miss Rally. Not even a little bit.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Not sure if being leveled but per Twitch chat Owen Turtenwald apparently got arrested after losing in the semis at Indy......

EDIT: On second thought probably just being leveled

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

No this is exactly why people don't want to play on camera. It's real and Owen is going to jail

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Your ex used to abuse the gently caress out of you and after getting away via moving you don't need your nerdlinger ex finding out where you play magic now.

Same reasoning for survivors of other types of assault/abuse who don't want to be on TV or the internet to stay on the DL with where they hang out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

rabidsquid posted:

No this is exactly why people don't want to play on camera. It's real and Owen is going to jail

He couldn't deal with the tournament environment well enough to have any success in it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

Not sure if being leveled but per Twitch chat Owen Turtenwald apparently got arrested after losing in the semis at Indy......

EDIT: On second thought probably just being leveled

Arrested for what? I see nothing about this anywhere.

I think twitch chat might have lied to you. Twitch chat :argh:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

They put him on camera and the cops found out and now he's in jail

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

PleasantDirge posted:

Your ex used to abuse the gently caress out of you and after getting away via moving you don't need your nerdlinger ex finding out where you play magic now.

Same reasoning for survivors of other types of assault/abuse who don't want to be on TV or the internet to stay on the DL with where they hang out.
I can imagine the TOs being pretty accommodating about this in the early stages, though I couldn't say for sure, but then you have the issue of what happens at T8 or higher.

I suppose it's the same kind of thing as signing up to be on Jeopardy. For the televised tournament, coverage is just part of the deal. Another thing your rear end in a top hat ex has hosed up for you I guess.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

And don't worry about accidentally passing priority with eye contact.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Also dress up like a power ranger.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

kizudarake posted:

And don't worry about accidentally passing priority with eye contact.

Nice troll but that's a cat helmet

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Nice troll but that's a cat helmet

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
*thumbs furiously through Comprehensive Rules*

Nothing here says a cat can't play Magic!

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
I haven't played Magic in forever since there aren't any places nearby that run events consistently, but I've kinda got the itch and I'm eyeing MtG:O.

I definitely don't feel like buying into Standard or Modern in a digital format, assuming the prices are even remotely the same as paper, but drafting looks like it could be fun, in addition to formats like Pauper and Commander. I'm curious though: Is it remotely possible to go infinite online anymore? I seem to recall people complaining that they gutted some of the dailies so you couldn't do it anymore (or at least, it was much, much more difficult). Is that the case? Drafting online seems kinda expensive considering you don't really have a way to ever turn the cards into cash in the future like you do with paper, but if good drafting gives you a reasonable shot at breaking even or better, that would be pretty awesome.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Going infinite on limited was never reasonably possible even when payouts were great. I don't think anyone can do it now. Honestly I'm not sure anyone has ever been infinite on draft in MODO history, people usually just paid for drafts with sealed/momir/DEs.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

Going infinite on limited was never reasonably possible even when payouts were great. I don't think anyone can do it now. Honestly I'm not sure anyone has ever been infinite on draft in MODO history, people usually just paid for drafts with sealed/momir/DEs.

Well dang :/

I'm guessing sealed / momir / DEs are what got gutted, and that it's now impossible to go infinite at all? I don't mind it being difficult, that's totally expected, but it sounds like even pro players wouldn't be able to do it without investing tons of money up front and recouping it over time. Ah well, probably a sign not to start throwing money at this game again.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

OGW/BFZ have been really bad because of non-redeemable expeditions. It's not really feasible to go infinite unless you're very good, but a reasonable player can maintain a slow bleed (only down 1-3 dollars a draft).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I went to check when Shadows Over Innistrad was actually dropping, and I was surprised to realize that it drops April 8th, the Pro Tour is 14 days later, and Game Day 8 days after that.

I guess this is part of the new Standard release schedule but holy poo poo they're dropping everything all within the same month. :stare:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I went to check when Shadows Over Innistrad was actually dropping, and I was surprised to realize that it drops April 8th, the Pro Tour is 14 days later, and Game Day 8 days after that.

I guess this is part of the new Standard release schedule but holy poo poo they're dropping everything all within the same month. :stare:

Isn't that how it has been for the last few sets?

If these new duals are bad or if they don't happen at all, the tears are going to be halarious. I have been needless goldfishing this vampire_not_complete.dec and even at two colors, it is definitely a shock to the system going back to old standard mana. I can't imagine playing 3 color like this.

We might even get mono color decks again. Oh standard, how I have missed the old you. :allears:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I don't see why rare dual land cycles have to happen every large set, since there's still a fall large set in the new model.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

We used to get a land cycle in the core set, which has been replaced, so we're very likely to get one here.

Mana being an actual consideration will be a nice change though.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 21, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

As it stands allied fixing will be a lot worse than enemy fixing. It feels like they should correct that (a cycle that specifically produces C would be nice too).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I don't see why rare dual land cycles have to happen every large set, since there's still a fall large set in the new model.

The rumor is "Hasbro Fiat," but I tend to doubt it. That said, there's 5 nonbasics that haven't been spoiled, so it's probably a cycle. If that just turns out to be a bunch of copies of Unknown Shores or something, then well, you're probably not going to be playing 3 colors in this Standard (which would be interesting in my opinion).

270 MYSTERY LAND
271 Drownyard Temple R
272 MYSTERY LAND
273 Forsaken Sanctuary U
274 MYSTERY LAND
275 Foul Orchard U
276 MYSTERY LAND
277 Highland Lake U
278 MYSTERY LAND
279 Stone Quarry U
280 Warped Landscape C
281 Westvale Abbey // Ormendahl, Profane Prince R
282 Woodland Stream U

My favorite dual land story is the one where Randy Buehler got hired onto the R&D team for Invasion set design and said:

quote:

"Why don't we just do 'comes-into-play-tapped' dual lands?"

They stared at me, so I elaborated. "They're just like Tundra except they come into play tapped and don't count as an island or a plains."

Their first reaction was "No way--that's way too good." In fact, R&D had already considered exactly those lands and decided on theoretical grounds that they were significantly better than basic lands, and thus we couldn't print them.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 21, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Full Fathoms Five posted:

I haven't played Magic in forever since there aren't any places nearby that run events consistently, but I've kinda got the itch and I'm eyeing MtG:O.

I definitely don't feel like buying into Standard or Modern in a digital format, assuming the prices are even remotely the same as paper, but drafting looks like it could be fun, in addition to formats like Pauper and Commander. I'm curious though: Is it remotely possible to go infinite online anymore? I seem to recall people complaining that they gutted some of the dailies so you couldn't do it anymore (or at least, it was much, much more difficult). Is that the case? Drafting online seems kinda expensive considering you don't really have a way to ever turn the cards into cash in the future like you do with paper, but if good drafting gives you a reasonable shot at breaking even or better, that would be pretty awesome.

You can draft/play constructed for free with the XMage or Cockatrice program. Xmage handles the rules for you but is really ugly (slightly uglier than MTGO). Cockatrice looks nicer but you have to manage the rules yourself. I actually like that part though because it lets you shortcut stuff and not have to be constantly passing priority.

The downside for drafting I guess everyone bounces after the first round and just joins a new draft.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Also dress up like a power ranger.
This is the real answer.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

That's a......very interesting silhouette in the wave.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

A big flaming stink posted:

That's a......very interesting silhouette in the wave.

It's a Thing in the Ice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Lorthos making his way into the Lore...though.

• Locked thread