Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Edge & Christian posted:

One thing can be emblematic of multiple things, pattern recognition is a crucial facet of human cognition.

I totally get why creators with genuinely new ideas want to save them for creator-owned projects and the fact that most of the bankable Big Two characters have been around for at least five decades, but this creates sort of a cascading effect over the past twenty five years or so that more and more comics end up being some combination of

1) "Character X has taken over the mantle of Character Y!"
2) "It's Character X from the future/past/other dimension, and they're [evil/a vampire/a zombie/Character Y]
3) What if there's actually a string of Iron Fists/Ghost Riders/Spider-Men/Dogwelders/Bruce Waynes/J. Jonah Jamesons/Hypno-Hustlers that goes back thousands of years? What if there was a steampunk Captain Atom? I think it'd go a little something... like this!"
4) "If there's a Green Lantern, why not a Red Lantern? If there's a green Hulk, why not a Red Hulk? If there's a Midnighter, why not a Nooner?"

That's very literally the basis of multiple current ongoing comics, from Old Man Logan to Spider-Gwen to X-Men Blue to Injustice to DC Bombshells. It's the current story arc in Thanos and Supersons, it's the basis for crossovers like Spiderverse/Venomverse and Metal and a bunch of others in the past few years.

None of these gimmicks were invented in the year 2000 (or 1980, or 1960) but they've exploded in frequency in the past 10-15 years and while there's a ton of good well thought out stories in all of these veins (the first one barely even counts, given the long-term legacy stories both companies have done) for me at least it's a hurdle to my interest in a book if it looks like it's going to be an extended What If? riff that feels obligated to carry a lot of water to explain how Spider-Man is dead and all of the crazy crazy stuff we're going to spend half the story alluding to. I know a lot of people love it though.

Change my name to Christian & Edge, and change my avatar to a photo negative picture of King Solomon's Frog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I read the main Civil War 2 series a week ago and it wasn't anything great, but given all the vitriol I'd seen towards it I was expecting it to be way more fascist leaning.

Fast forward to me working my way through Guardians of the Galaxy and I get to their crossover, and I got to this page

and it really reminded me of the argument Jack Nicholson made in the speech from a Few Good Men. And he was the villain! I'm guessing the awfulness of Civil War 2 is mostly in the tie in books.

Captain Marvel hasn't appealed to me much in what I've read so far, but characters in a story telling me how I should like another character and how good cool they are is very grating. I'd really prefer if they made me like a hero by having them to cool heroic things, rather than just telling me how great they are.

Which is another complaint I have about Hawkeye and All New Wolverine, characters keep saying things like "You're the Wolverine" or "It's the better Hawkeye". It happens so much I think it must be some kind of editorial mandate or something, like they feel like they have to keep telling the audience or we'll forget.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 27, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The better Hawkeye thing is a joke, which goes both ways. Sometimes people say Clint is, and that's happened in that series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I always figured "the better Hawkeye" thing was more about people dissing on Clint than complementing Kate, so it always seemed appropriate.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Honestly, I thought the Ghost Rider reveal would've made more sense if it were Deadpool instead, considering their history of fighting over Death and how it'd piss off Thanos to know future him would willingly spend all this time with his rival. :v: Plus, Deadpool already talks like in those panels, so it wouldn't be too jarring.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I always figured "the better Hawkeye" thing was more about people dissing on Clint than complementing Kate, so it always seemed appropriate.

like how Cotton Hill named his sons Hank and Good Hank

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I cannot be alone in enjoying No Surrender? Maybe I'm just happy there is a major storyline that doesn't feature heroes beating on other heroes?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

So I cannot be alone in enjoying No Surrender? Maybe I'm just happy there is a major storyline that doesn't feature heroes beating on other heroes?

It's good. But I want Quicksilver to save the day so he can rub it in everyone's faces.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm liking No Surrender, but am bummed that Quicksilver is still wearing that dumb fast forward costume.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's still building up to the main event so I'm gonna hold off on calling it good but it's not complete garbage so far so I guess it's cleared the bar set by the other recent events

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh I'm quite enjoying No Surrender, though a lot of that is having to do with Larraz who's impossibly drawn and inked all three weekly issues so far and apparently will be doing the fourth as well. I hope the art will remain as good when this event really starts swapping artists in and out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's not giving me any indication that there'll be much more to it than fighting, fighting, fighting. Maybe it's just because of the new game, but Dragon Ball Z comes to mind in a big way.
I had to wonder at the end of this issue why I'd pick up the next. If there's not an extra wrinkle next ish, I'll probably quit and ask y'all what's up with Voyager in a couple of months.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think it's just fun to watch all these Avengers teams interacting with each other after they've been sequestered away in their own little cubbyholes for so long. There's roughly zero percent chance that the Voyager reveal won't end up being underwhelming somehow so I'm barely paying any attention to that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, we're still getting things setup, but I'm pretty interested in where things are going. I want to know whats up with the heroes in statis. Maybe they just know Squirrel Girl would beat all the bad guys up right away.

Codependent Poster posted:

It's good. But I want Quicksilver to save the day so he can rub it in everyone's faces.

That'd be pretty awesome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When did Quicksilver get his powers back? I'm reading Civil War era X-Factor and he's still got his weird time travel thing from Son of M in the brief cameo he has.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not long after that. He just sort of willed his speed back in a one shot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As far as retcons go it was pretty elegantly done. Basically he forgave himself for all the awful poo poo he'd done and his powers came back.

Then he lied about how that was totally a skrull who did all that evil poo poo.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Lurdiak posted:

As far as retcons go it was pretty elegantly done. Basically he forgave himself for all the awful poo poo he'd done and his powers came back.

Then he lied about how that was totally a skrull who did all that evil poo poo.

Pietro gonna Pietro.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It feels like such a weekly book. Slow slow slow.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

twistedmentat posted:

I do like it, but I feel like I need to sit down and read it all in one sitting. Kinda like with Doomsday Clock.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So I just saw a tweet saying priest and Hickman were spotted at Marvel's writer summit, has anybody else seen anything about this

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
The return of Hickman??????

Prob not cause priest seemed like he was pretty deep in DC, but who knows.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There ain't gonna be any details about what they were pitching, but here's the pictures.
https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/957718534418726913
Apparently the third guy in is Hicky with grown out hair.

e: Priest right here in the video I posted earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq8lj2jlXgY&t=43s

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 29, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is that Alex Jones up front

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Joe Quesada. Same thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:discourse:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lmao if dc loses Priest and couldn't secure Hickman because of Doomsday Clock being delayed and Snyder blowing up justice league.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I have a feeling we might see Hickman getting the Eternals after this next event. Maybe DC was dragging their feet on giving him the Legion of Super Heroes.

Priest and Coates doing Black Panther books at the height of the characters popularity would be a slam dunk.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao if dc loses Priest

They're not (yet) He's starting a new Deathstroke arc as his JL is ending.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Y'all know I'm not the biggest Hickman fan, but even I have to admit Eternals would be a good fit for him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As far as I'm aware, Priest isn't exclusive, so there's no reason he can't work for both companies.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I think Hickman said at the end of Secret Wars that he'd come back and do some short runs to play with characters but nothing to the scale of his Avengers run.

It wouldn't surprise me if he has a whole other FF book up his sleeve though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

^burtle posted:

I think Hickman said at the end of Secret Wars that he'd come back and do some short runs to play with characters but nothing to the scale of his Avengers run.

It wouldn't surprise me if he has a whole other FF book up his sleeve though.

I want him to write Spider-Man, just based off the FF and Avengers poo poo.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

KaosMachina posted:

Well, I've got bad news from the next issue preview at the end, my friend

So.... is Galactus the new Punisher?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Given how much of Priest's BP run is in the MCU, I'd be more surprised if he wasn't talking to people at Marvel.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Priest recently wrote an alright Inhumans mini-series, so it's not like Priest was ever exclusive to DC recently.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So I'm making my way through Avengers volume 5 and it is so loving good. I am enjoying this so drat much.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I was reading Ultimate Mystery, Doom and all of that, basically the story line where the Maker appeared. Was the stuff with that evil cabal of businessmen who nuked Uraguay ever resolved or did it just get lost in all the world ending threats that happened one after the other?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Galvanik posted:

I was reading Ultimate Mystery, Doom and all of that, basically the story line where the Maker appeared. Was the stuff with that evil cabal of businessmen who nuked Uraguay ever resolved or did it just get lost in all the world ending threats that happened one after the other?

That story has loose threads all over the place. I believe the Kratos Club gets some followup in Hickman's run and then just kind of gets forgotten in the midst of his bigger plots, and I don't think later writers follow up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

pubic works project posted:

So I'm making my way through Avengers volume 5 and it is so loving good. I am enjoying this so drat much.

With Infinity War around the corner, I'm reminded of the last page of the Infinity prelude.

"And in the last days of life, before a season of death...

We were Avengers."

• Locked thread