Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

2002 is a bad year for the radio on the e39. The software is not there to use the BMW aux port even though the cable will plug in. You need a 2003 radio for this to work. Do you have the CD changer? On my 2002 I bought a CD changer for $40 shipped from ebay. I installed that and then unplugged the audio in connector from the CD changer to the radio. I made an adapter that had the correct pinout for the radio side and an 1/8" stereo jack on the other end. This plugs into the audio in for the CD changer. Now I set the radio to the CD changer option and the audio plays from my phone. This only works if you have the CD changer though. The radio will not go to the CD changer setting unless the CD changer is present and one CD is in the cartridge.

You can also just buy a Dice or USA-Spec iPod/iphone adaptor unit that just plugs into your cd-changer port and has a dock connector and aux in port built in. Much easier. Plus you can then use the steering wheel controls to change tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

i am harry posted:

Amber warning light and "ABS" and "BRAKE" lights are coming on, which I read in the manuals indicates a malfunction in the DSC/ABS system, with no affect on old-fashioned foot-on-pedal breaking. I took it to the nearest BMW dealership yesterday, and they're ordering a part and pressurizing the breaking system (or something...all of this is totally over my head as I know nothing about fixing cars). That should run close to $2000.

:laffo:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

i am harry posted:

Amber warning light and "ABS" and "BRAKE" lights are coming on, which I read in the manuals indicates a malfunction in the DSC/ABS system, with no affect on old-fashioned foot-on-pedal breaking. I took it to the nearest BMW dealership yesterday, and they're ordering a part and pressurizing the breaking system (or something...all of this is totally over my head as I know nothing about fixing cars). That should run close to $2000.

Dude this is most likely just a bad wheel speed sensor which costs like $100 some bucks and is easy to pop in yourself. You really ought to start reading up on your car and ask questions in this thread or you're gonna go broke.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
Looks like I can get an e53 radio and use that. The question is, again, do I need the head unit and the CD player above it? Looks like I might, if the connector on the CD player there lacks the connector, and then the head unit since it will lack the software for aux input.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

You can also just buy a Dice or USA-Spec iPod/iphone adaptor unit that just plugs into your cd-changer port and has a dock connector and aux in port built in. Much easier. Plus you can then use the steering wheel controls to change tracks.

I looked into the Dice but I do not own an iPod/iphone so the majority of the features it offers I can not use. The only thing the Dice offers over the CD changer/stereo adapter is bluetooth. That was not worth the extra money to me.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

concise posted:

You are going to hate your life in a year or two (or less) unless you start putting in the effort to diagnose and solve issues on your car using this thread and google for information, and yourself for labor. BMWs are amazing, but they become extremely expensive if you buy parts and labor from dealerships, and slightly less expensive at an indie shop.

I started doing real work on my E46 when I bought it without much prior experience fixing cars. Its not actually that hard to do, but I understand how daunting it can seem.

Welcome to hell. :getin:

Thank you all very much for the advice. I will refer to your collective expertise in the future. <3

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Be careful, big, comfy cars corrupt.

Corpulent, comfy cars corrupt completely?

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
Any euro shop recommendations for Columbus Ohio? I don't need any serious or involved work as of now - I just don't have the facilities to do the simple things like oil changes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You said what we were all thinking.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Popete posted:

Dude this is most likely just a bad wheel speed sensor which costs like $100 some bucks and is easy to pop in yourself. You really ought to start reading up on your car and ask questions in this thread or you're gonna go broke.

Or a battery on its death bed if its anything like my E46. I was getting periodic yellow ABS/DSC warning lights as a precursor to my 10 year old battery completely giving up the ghost and no longer charging. Nothing really seemed wrong at the time, but the system is really sensitive to power irregularities and shuts itself down at the first sign of trouble.

You could replace the battery and all 4 wheel speed sensors for under like $500-600, though. :lol:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ColdPie posted:

Corpulent, comfy cars corrupt completely?

Corpulent, comfy cars corrupt comfortably.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So I'll be getting the RTABs and an alignment done. The front end is a little higher than I want it and I'll probably be lowering it pretty soon. Will I for sure need an alignment afterwards? I really can't put off getting an alignment after the RTABs (my mechanic said they bushings where pretty badly shot which explains why it's been so sketchy at high speed). Problem is I just don't have the time or garage to do the height adjustment now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
front end camber and toe will change if you lower the front.

call ground control and see what they recommend for ride height based on the suspension they sold you.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
And if you lower it drastically, you may end up with toe-out which isn't desirable on the street. My preference is zero front toe for my street alignment to prevent inside edge wear from increased camber, but I am running 245s up front.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright I'll just have to get another alignment I suppose. Might be worth it to just buy one of those lifetime alignments packages at a Tires Plus or something. Then I can muck around with it as much as I want.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

Looks like I can get an e53 radio and use that. The question is, again, do I need the head unit and the CD player above it? Looks like I might, if the connector on the CD player there lacks the connector, and then the head unit since it will lack the software for aux input.

If you go this route you will need the in dash CD player and the BMW aux cable. If what you are thinking of as a head unit is the input buttons and display then you do not need to replace that it will plug into the newer CD player. If you go with the e53 radio it still needs to be 2003 and newer.
http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-Auxiliary-Adapter-Series/dp/B000PA03AC

This is all based on your car not having DSP.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I've been on the lookout for a track car and want an E36 M3. Since I wouldn't have to DD it, I'm reasonably comfortable doing work myself. If I could just get some people to return my phone calls. I'm hopeful that the few hours of fun I'll get to have at a time will be worth the effort and money I will end up dumping into this project.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Being one of the unfortunate poors who cannot afford a real BMW, I just received a set of :frogsiren: eBay S54 headers :frogsiren: in the mail. I am extremely excited to install them and unlock all of the car's SECRET HORSEPOWARS (i.e. eliminate pre-cats in the headers), especially for $150.

You know, plus the leak-testing, plus the ceramic coating, plus the ECU flash to remove the BANK 1 CAT 1 EFFICIENCY LOW / BANK 2 CAT 1 EFFICIENCY LOW errors...

:smith: I love my BMW...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nait Sirhc posted:

Dirt cheap comedy-option E65 2002 BMW 745i update (7 days of ownership so far):

This car is so goddamn comfortable. I get in it and all of my worries go away. Traffic no longer bothers me.

It is just bliss sitting behind the wheel of one of these cars.

i am harry posted:

Two weeks ago I drove to Houston and bought a 2002 530i with 112k miles on it for $6k

I love these posts being so close to each other.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
comedy option, offer $5500 for this...? (I'm sure it needs work looking at that bumper)
http://www.loditoyota.com/used/BMW/2000-BMW-540i-f5a641230a0a00026879004bc97bf0d2.htm

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I've been on the lookout for a track car and want an E36 M3.

PM'ed

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

I love these posts being so close to each other.

Yeah, no problems here so far though! KNOCK ON WOOD *caresses dash*

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

i am harry posted:

Jesus dude, find an independent shop, don't take it to the dealership. You could probably halve that estimate.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I'm pretty sure if you even did a few minutes of googling you'd find a huge bimmerforums thread with a detailed breakdown of e39 DSC module problems and how to fix them

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Attempted to jack my E36 up for the first time to swap out the wheels. Used the factory lift points/factory jack and heard horrible noises.

:gonk:

The rockers are hosed. The subframes, trunk pan, strut mounts, etc. all seem really solid. I only spent a grand on this, but the rest of the car is really nice and I wouldn't mind making it last as long as possible. Should I just ignore them and drive it into the ground? Or are they structurally important enough/easy enough to repair that I should take care of them this summer?

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 30, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
This reminds me, when I was under my car wrenching on it last weekend, I took note that my ten year old, winter and snowy weather driven car has not one speck of rust underneath. Even the exhaust tubing is totally cancer free.

Come to think of it, that's how the 20-25 year old cars I owned before this car were too...

(Hearing rust-belt horror stories makes me cringe, and I feel sorry for the people who have to worry about that kind of damage. Shits crazy yo.)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Jesus dude, find an independent shop, don't take it to the dealership. You could probably halve that estimate.

Yeah, I didn't actually realize quite how helpful everyone in this thread would be, nor how relatively simple some of the more frequently occurring replacement/repair jobs seem to be (in general at least, since most components of cars tend to be made out of metal or plastic and just need screwing in in the right order). I have since gone from being utterly ignorant about all cars and everything in them to slightly less concerned about my lack of knowledge. Now that I own a vehicle that isn't a complete pile of poo poo on four wheels, I'm looking forward to learning how to take care of it.

As an update, the stuff they did didn't fix it, so they aren't charging me for any of that, and now they're going to replace the ABS module. They gave me a brand new BMW to use until it's sorted, so on the brightest side I was granted my previous wish. I'm definitely going to be more practical about this stuff in the future and not drive an hour away to be charged an excess, but I've learned some valuable lessons, and if nothing else I get to drive an $80,000 car for a week which is something I'm pretty sure I will never experience again.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Man what are they giving out as loaners at BMW dealerships now? I'd have figured a 328i or a 428i or w/e and those are more like 40k cars tops in the states

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got an X3 last time I got a loaner. I would have rather taken a bus.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Last time I was in for a recall I got a 2013 528ix that was pretty well equipped/optioned. I think the sticker price on it was close to 70k.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Got my ground control coilovers installed on my 91 318is last night - cut the front spring perch off but didn't section the housing, stock struts, wound all the way down; rear is stock struts with another inch to go down on the adjusters. Ordered KYB Camaro struts for the rear and KYB MR2 rear struts for the front. drat, even with poo poo dampers this thing is fun to drive. I'm probably going to section 2" off the front when my struts come though the car is more or less even ride height wise right now. Need a LSD.

440lb/650lb springs and it rides well.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 1, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

HotCanadianChick posted:

This reminds me, when I was under my car wrenching on it last weekend, I took note that my ten year old, winter and snowy weather driven car has not one speck of rust underneath. Even the exhaust tubing is totally cancer free.

Come to think of it, that's how the 20-25 year old cars I owned before this car were too...

(Hearing rust-belt horror stories makes me cringe, and I feel sorry for the people who have to worry about that kind of damage. Shits crazy yo.)

The under bits of the E46 do pretty good when it comes to rust; there's a lot of aluminum under there, and the exhaust is (IIRC) stainless steel front to back. Shame the body doesn't fare as well. I'm starting to see a goodly number of rusty-rear end E46s on the road, and mine has a couple spots that need fixing too :smith:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Got my ground control coilovers installed on my 91 318is last night - cut the front spring perch off but didn't section the housing, stock struts, wound all the way down; rear is stock struts with another inch to go down on the adjusters. Ordered KYB Camaro struts for the rear and KYB MR2 rear struts for the front. drat, even with poo poo dampers this thing is fun to drive. I'm probably going to section 2" off the front when my struts come though the car is more or less even ride height wise right now. Need a LSD.

440lb/650lb springs and it rides well.

It should have one if it's an iS, maybe you need to flush the fluid?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

MrChips posted:

The under bits of the E46 do pretty good when it comes to rust; there's a lot of aluminum under there, and the exhaust is (IIRC) stainless steel front to back. Shame the body doesn't fare as well. I'm starting to see a goodly number of rusty-rear end E46s on the road, and mine has a couple spots that need fixing too :smith:

Ah, didn't know the exhaust was stainless, guess I'm too used to the mild steel most Japanese cars use. I spent a half hour while I was under there looking for cancer, subframe cracking, etc, and was pleased to see everything was looking good. I don't know how the east coast guys deal with all the rust without becoming broken shells of a man, :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

It should have one if it's an iS, maybe you need to flush the fluid?

The 325iS came with a LSD standard, the 318iS didn't. :(

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well the suspension overhaul will be finished today, so excited to get it back. List of things fixed/repaired

Replaced both rear RTABs, both just fell out without a press...
Replaced front right control arm and FTAB
Installed adjustable front sway bar end links
Fixed rear toe which was causing the car to feel like it was on ice at high speeds

I'm really pumped to have this done and I'm glad I ended up just taking it in. Apparently one of the 3
bolts on the rear trailing arm sheared so he's in the process of removing that and replacing the bolt. I
would have been screwed if that happened well I was working on it. The car should ride better than new
with the GC kit properly setup, I can't wait.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
97 540i water pump howto/diy. Anybody got a good one? Shat out on the way to work, wobbly bearings and slow leak.

Concerned about some pipes that I can't pull out of the back of the manifold or something?

I dunno, I just closed the hood and started googling. can't find a good guide that's not "it's just like the 530 except completely different! GOD USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM"

Bimmerforums.

E: Are these the two front O-rings for those notorious water pipes that go to the back of the block? Looks about right.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 1, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Popete posted:

Well the suspension overhaul will be finished today, so excited to get it back. List of things fixed/repaired

Replaced both rear RTABs, both just fell out without a press...
Replaced front right control arm and FTAB
Installed adjustable front sway bar end links
Fixed rear toe which was causing the car to feel like it was on ice at high speeds

I'm really pumped to have this done and I'm glad I ended up just taking it in. Apparently one of the 3
bolts on the rear trailing arm sheared so he's in the process of removing that and replacing the bolt. I
would have been screwed if that happened well I was working on it. The car should ride better than new
with the GC kit properly setup, I can't wait.

Ugh, I'm going to be doing my RTAB, subframe bushings. and diff bushing in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to that shitstorm... Also, I may have accidentally ordered some TRM C1s in 15x8.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

Ugh, I'm going to be doing my RTAB, subframe bushings. and diff bushing in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to that shitstorm... Also, I may have accidentally ordered some TRM C1s in 15x8.

I had him check the rear subframe bushings, I was fearing those might be shot as I was hearing a slight clunk in the rear during acceleration. He checked and said they look fine so I avoided that mess luckily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

It's certainly a pain in the rear end but is basically required for a decent E30 setup. I also could have sworn all 318is' came with LSDs.....