Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

qirex posted:

heh

day one was nov 22 2013

the best part of this is the expiry of the three digital bonus codes included in the package for the Day One cheevo, shadow jago and scroogian 14 days of gratis xbox live access

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Shaggar posted:

what a savings

by grabthar's... hammer

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao the poisoning of a brand cycle continues

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/13/m...y-subscription/

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Microsoft’s Cortana personal digital assistant, until now available to consumers on mobile devices and PCs, is part of the new package, designed to give non-technical people a simple interface that can let them ask questions of data and receive answers in response.

Microsoft’s Cortana personal digital assistant, until now available to consumers on mobile devices and PCs, is part of the new package, designed to give non-technical people a simple interface that can let them ask questions of data and receive answers in response.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Thanks Ants posted:

is "power bi" one step above "bi curious"?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

prefect posted:

is "power bi" one step above "bi curious"?

more conviction behind being bi

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

i thought apple products were the ones intended for non-technicals. was...was thurrott wrong? :ohdear:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

anthonypants posted:

apple's sales figures are so good they released a mac pro shaped like a trashcan, nobody bought it, and the income for their other lines of business means they don't even care

and they even make it in the US

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

anthonypants posted:

retina ipad mini is probably the best tablet that would suit my needs and i'm glad to hear it's not been killed off yet

but today i just found out that the settings options in the charms menu has different options whether you're in the start screen or not. thanks, michaelsoft.

the settings button in the charms menu i meant to bring up settings for the current app, not for the system

do not use charms

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Windows 8+ without classic shell or start 8 is completely sluggish, useless, and terribly garish. Win 10 with start 8 keeps the new trash away and let's me work without live tiles asking me if I would recommend my dump to everyone.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Thanks Ants posted:

i hovered over the link, read the url and came.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
cortana confirmed for power bi

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

duTrieux. posted:

the settings button in the charms menu i meant to bring up settings for the current app, not for the system

do not use charms

don't worry, in the 2 years after windows 8's release, i have never even activated it except by accident.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Phoenixan posted:

cortana confirmed for power bi

more like power bm

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the xbox one is fu cking garbage, less than a year old and the headset is already hosed and the controller has a bunch of issues

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/windows/status/620566325086322688

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

wndw.ms

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Windows Media Center is not part of Windows 10 and won’t be available after upgrading to Windows 10. If you use Windows Media Center, we will alert you during upgrade that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10. We know that some users use Windows Media Center to play DVDs, and we are providing a free DVD playback app in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

how loving cheap are they to not kick down the 25 cents or whatever it costs now for a dvd license

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

qirex posted:

how loving cheap are they to not kick down the 25 cents or whatever it costs now for a dvd license

well they're aiming to install win10 on a billion mostly-without-dvd-drives devices. it's a lot of theoretical quarters

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that's 250 million dollars or 1/4 of what they spent on sassy swiping breakdance surface ads last christmas

they could at least make it a free download or something, I guess there's the consolation that increased vlc usage will upset pagancow

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

http://betanews.com/2015/07/13/microsoft-suspends-availability-of-windows-10-builds/

so no more installing pre-release copies of win10. testers must be thrilled

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I like how they framed the absence of Media Center in terms of DVD playback so when people start bitching about the lack of Media Center because they use it to watch TV, the uninformed will immediately assume they're unreasonable assholes because the DVD player is right there in the Windows Store!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Valeyard posted:

the xbox one is fu cking garbage, less than a year old and the headset is already hosed and the controller has a bunch of issues
well you're in luck there's a new controller coming out in time for Holiday Season 2015 and it's going to be 150 USD

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

anthonypants posted:

well you're in luck there's a new controller coming out in time for Holiday Season 2015 and it's going to be 150 USD

:captainpop:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

:argh:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

anthonypants posted:

isnt it the only official way to get an xbone controller working on pc, too?

lol just use third party drivers and a dualshock 4 or wii u pro controller. theyre better controllers anyway

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

theultimo posted:

Windows 8+ without classic shell or start 8 is completely sluggish, useless, and terribly garish. Win 10 with start 8 keeps the new trash away and let's me work without live tiles asking me if I would recommend my dump to everyone.

isn't windows8/10 just win7 with a retarded ui? or did they add anything useful?

why not just use win7?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there's two new controllers, one is the $150 elite MLG version, the other is the normal price (whatever that is, $60?) and integrates the headset jack because the first version didn't have one for inexplicable reasons

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Space-Pope posted:

isnt it the only official way to get an xbone controller working on pc, too?

lol just use third party drivers and a dualshock 4 or wii u pro controller. theyre better controllers anyway

nah, normal xbone controllers will work on a pc. not wirelessly, thoug

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Valeyard posted:

$100 million redesigning the controller and they still get stick drift lmao

duTrieux. posted:

nah, normal xbone controllers will work on a pc. not wirelessly, thoug

yeah but the ds4 drivers let u use the touchpad as a mouse for navigating stuff which isnt 100% controller compatible like windows itself so it wins. also its better anyway.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Valeyard posted:

My boss has a launch day edition and was talking with another coworker the other day about xbones when the topic of controllers disconnecting was brought up and both of them admitted the controller will occasionally lose signal. the amount of failure that was put into the one is mesmerizing, so much so because they managed to break so many things that worked perfectly fine on the 360.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TerminalRaptor posted:

My boss has a launch day edition and was talking with another coworker the other day about xbones when the topic of controllers disconnecting was brought up and both of them admitted the controller will occasionally lose signal. the amount of failure that was put into the one is mesmerizing, so much so because they managed to break so many things that worked perfectly fine on the 360.

yup i get frequent disconnects too, although none of my friends seem to have that problem. it might be because im usually sitting about a metre away from my router and theres some kind of interefence tho, im not sure

we went back to the 360 the other night to play some cod and its amazing how much faster and slicker everything is, i dont know how they hosed up so much stuff that they already got right

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

$100 million redesigning the controller and they still get stick drift lmao

yeah but the ds4 drivers let u use the touchpad as a mouse for navigating stuff which isnt 100% controller compatible like windows itself so it wins. also its better anyway.

yup

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Valeyard posted:

yup i get frequent disconnects too, although none of my friends seem to have that problem. it might be because im usually sitting about a metre away from my router and theres some kind of interefence tho, im not sure

we went back to the 360 the other night to play some cod and its amazing how much faster and slicker everything is, i dont know how they hosed up so much stuff that they already got right

ycs bitch

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
get the gently caress outa here console fags. even u valeyard!!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

get the gently caress outa here console fags. even u valeyard!!

Sorry mate, I'll take the probie

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
just realized something: if microsoft really is gonna spin off the xobone division then wtf is the point of embedding cortana in their os?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Necc0 posted:

just realized something: if microsoft really is gonna spin off the xobone division then wtf is the point of embedding cortana in their os?

hilarity down the road

• Locked thread