Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Pentaghastly posted:

Why do they keep rolling out these tedious, laborious, and downright nauseating sounding drinks

~allegedly~ they do it to draw attention to their products that actual sell.

Like, you go to buy Pepsi, walk past coke, see Ginger Coke, buy palatable coke instead of ginger.

I also imagine a large part is running market trials, and scum marketers trying to justify their existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

SaberToothedPie posted:

Nah I’m salary level so I’m obligated, not just a sucker

I end up pitying my managers most of the time, because I know the work they do is not nearly enough for what they're paid. It's a living wage, but way below what the job is actually worth.

I've seen more than a few lifers who were management, said, "this is driving me insane" and stepped back down to being a grunt.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

MC Hawking posted:

I managed to plug together clearly labeled cords and didn't lose my temper at the help desk grunt

And their current staff can't manage that. Seriously, ask them for a full time job or at least try out the consulting gig.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

sneakyfrog posted:

if you are on salary you are a sucker.

i dont work for free.

e: i mean i suppose if its a baller salary fine..

It's worth it to me, and I got the store i wanted.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Zenithe posted:

~allegedly~ they do it to draw attention to their products that actual sell.

Like, you go to buy Pepsi, walk past coke, see Ginger Coke, buy palatable coke instead of ginger.

I also imagine a large part is running market trials, and scum marketers trying to justify their existence.

Disgusting orange diet coke took a facing from diet coke when we redid the cooler and I'm hoppin mad about it

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Orange diet hasn't made it down under yet. Current one is raspberry, which has hopped into the spot that coffee (!?) coke was last quarter.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Orange Diet Coke? That sounds more revolting than that Kidney Stone Special thing from the coffee joint.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
All coke is disgusting. Just buy ginger beer instead.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I got called in 3 1/2 hours before my shift because my boss had to go to an emergency meeting an hour away. A position shes been waiting for in the company opened up and she got an interview 12 hours after applying. If she gets the job, it means I either become store manager with only the most basic of training or some other rear end in a top hat gets it. Both of which are... Unappealing. I'd barely see a raise in my normal paycheck if I got her position. :smithicide:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
At work we didn't get loads on Sundays. Well now that is being changed, which means now that we get a load 7 days a week each load will be smaller. Meaning I'll finish breaking the load earlier. Which means I'll have to step out on the floor and do work. The floor I thought I escaped getting this job. And now I'll be working more Sundays, with all the good catholics taking family trips with their bored as hell children who had to sit down and shut up for mass.

Fuuuuu :byodood:

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
Bless you, Samsung, for creating the most inconspicuous true wireless earbuds, as I may show up to this 7am store meeting (and, indeed, all shifts,) but not be present. :pray:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Leal posted:

At work we didn't get loads on Sundays. Well now that is being changed, which means now that we get a load 7 days a week each load will be smaller. Meaning I'll finish breaking the load earlier. Which means I'll have to step out on the floor and do work. The floor I thought I escaped getting this job. And now I'll be working more Sundays, with all the good catholics taking family trips with their bored as hell children who had to sit down and shut up for mass.

Fuuuuu :byodood:

To be clear, you're saying that you miss getting a huge load?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Elmnt80 posted:

I got called in 3 1/2 hours before my shift because my boss had to go to an emergency meeting an hour away. A position shes been waiting for in the company opened up and she got an interview 12 hours after applying. If she gets the job, it means I either become store manager with only the most basic of training or some other rear end in a top hat gets it. Both of which are... Unappealing. I'd barely see a raise in my normal paycheck if I got her position. :smithicide:

You should take it if offered, do a year or two, and then use "manager" on you resume to go somewhere else, either out of retail or to a retail chain that actually pays their managers.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Pekinduck posted:

And their current staff can't manage that. Seriously, ask them for a full time job or at least try out the consulting gig.

yeah FWIW I've thus far made sure to only work on this project during my regularly scheduled hours. The Sunday install time is so I don't have to put out any fires during store open hours. I'm only even doing the install because the CC processor guy has never actually installed one of these devices before. I will follow up with him on the consultancy offer when I see him next. I will also make sure that I'm getting paid for working on a Sunday, you bunch are absolutely right. It's absurd to expect me to do this work in the first place since it's so vastly outside of my actual job duties as a glorified cashier, never-mind not getting paid for it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

therobit posted:

You should take it if offered, do a year or two, and then use "manager" on you resume to go somewhere else, either out of retail or to a retail chain that actually pays their managers.

Pretty much this. If I get offered my supervisor's job when he leaves I'm doing exactly this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Volmarias posted:

To be clear, you're saying that you miss getting a huge load?

Working on my load in the fridge was the best way to prevent swamp crotch.

Speaking of blowing a load in the fridge...

ACTUAL PRODUCT COVER

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I. What is that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
A very luscious fox on a box of cherries. Lovingly created by a local business owner, no doubt as I cannot find anything of that company on google.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I. What is that.

Someone's new avatar.

Leal posted:

A very luscious fox on a box of cherries. Lovingly created by a local business owner, no doubt as I cannot find anything of that company on google.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Conrad-Adams-Fruit-LLC-524950870921012/posts/

tag yourself, I'm the watermark on the stolen basket image.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 23, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Someone's new avatar.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Conrad-Adams-Fruit-LLC-524950870921012/posts/

tag yourself, I'm the watermark on the stolen basket image.

I'm the garter belt. What the hell. I'm a bit sad that there wasn't a single comment talking about jerking off over the fox mascot, you disappoint me Facebook.

E: Oh wow, I realized the garter belt isn't on the packaging. That got removed, surely at the request of someone in a suit.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm the garter belt disappearing behind the basket handle

edit: the shoes also are cut off, and the horrific eyelash thing is fixed in the final label.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
A girl tried to argue with me because her dragonfruit refresher "wasn't the right color :/"

what the gently caress is this job i hate saturdays

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Update from this previous post of mine:

Zenithe posted:

Hoooooo boy.

My company in particular is known for grinding away constantly at up selling. No matter what customers buy, you are always, no exception supposed to offer them a random piece of poo poo too.

In the newest bit of insanity though, now every single feedback form that doesn't specifically say that yes, they were offered a random extra piece of poo poo to buy gets printed, time and date stamped, and if you were working the shift the transaction took place in, you have to offer an explanation in writing as to why they weren't up sold to.

Get.

hosed.

For the first time I had some 'splainin' to do, and it was quiet enough to check the security footage only to find that for the entire minute for which the transaction took place there was nobody served at all.

Every explanation is denying responsibility and it's glorious, so far we have:

a) customer's do not pay attention to any questions because they hate upselling
b) lady was screaming at her children while the transaction was happening
c) Security footage shows no evidence of any customer being served at this time (mine)
d) customer forgot that I tried to up sold them (this guy DNGAF)

The weekly poo poo list that gets printed is now flat out saying we need to make sure that people know that we've tried to up sell them something, instead of just doing the goddamn job. So far my ideas are saying that line obnoxiously loud compared to the rest of the transaction, or writing it on the side of a cardboard box so I can wave it at the security cameras when they say no. A colleague of mine has started offering them actually insane things to see if they are paying attention, such as $100 visa gift cards and year old Ed Sheeran CDs that we never sold.

Other work-shitposting ideas much appreciated.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Another call out today. That makes like 9 weeks in a row of at least 1 person calling out sick per week. I ended up doing 11 1/2 hour shift today. I heard a few days before hand the person who called out sick tried to switch shifts with someone.

Any particular reason people can't go out and do stuff in the middle of the week? Why does it have to be Saturday and Sunday?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
'Cause you don't go out and do fun poo poo with friends on the weekday.

Usually.

If someone calls out on a Fri/Sat/Sun they've probably got something more fun to do than make zero dollars. The worst that could happen is that they get fired from a job they don't want.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Zenithe posted:

Offer them a position.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Upsell them on things you do not, in fact, sell.
Try to sell them forums accounts.
Write it down and ask them to read it.
Note each end of the question with an air horn.

When complaints are made, proudly inform bosses that the customer remembered.

Yzuped
Apr 22, 2014
Attempt to upsell management at the end of every interaction.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Would you like to add to your purchase by buying me?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cowslips Warren posted:

Would you like to add to your purchase by buying me?

:heysexy:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

therobit posted:

The poo poo salaried portion is supposed to be made up for by various bonuses tied to store performance. It wouldn't be a bad gig if they hadn't dropped a store in the middle of our area that leeches a poo poo ton of retail sales from our store. Seriously, they're 5 minutes away from us in our most densely packed area of residents. loving morons in corporate.

It also doesn't help that the store gets billed for stuff going wrong like one of our drivers totalling a delivery vehicle and an employee injuring themselves.

I suppose I'll just have to see what happens and roll with the punches. :toot:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Yzuped posted:

Attempt to upsell management at the end of every interaction.
Oh my god this is the best idea yet. Make sure to get everyone to do this to every manager. See if you can get multiple people in a short time frame to do this to them. Hell, start conversations with management with some good old fashioned upselling too. When they complain, respond with upselling something else. Be the idiot sellbot they think you should be, but only to them.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Yawgmoth posted:

Oh my god this is the best idea yet. Make sure to get everyone to do this to every manager. See if you can get multiple people in a short time frame to do this to them. Hell, start conversations with management with some good old fashioned upselling too. When they complain, respond with upselling something else. Be the idiot sellbot they think you should be, but only to them.

This is an even better idea as a CUSTOMER because then they can't even fire you. I think next time I am in a store that upsells more than 1 try I will ask to see the manager and then try to upsell him whatever I just bought but at a 50% markup...

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Had someone use the bathroom at work, they sort of hit the toilet, and also didn't...

Had to throw out the plunger, though. Why they make those with a hollow handle is beyond me.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Anora posted:

Had someone use the bathroom at work, they sort of hit the toilet, and also didn't...

Had to throw out the plunger, though. Why they make those with a hollow handle is beyond me.

To make into a forced-draft bong, of course.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm never at work as the same time as any manager (unless something has gone apocalyptically wrong)

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Our SM was the mid shift today and he had to do admin work so he told me I was in charge until the closing shift got there.

No one had had their breaks yet so I go to slide in and give the bar slave a ten, a girl who transferred here from a licensed store, and she rolled her eyes at me and said "sure, boss".

Like it makes me feel okay that the SM trusts me in particular to not let the store burn down and put out any fires while he fucks around with conference calls and makes the schedule but nobody that already works here thinks I have any authority. Maybe more so than someone younger (or shorter :smuggo:) but I still felt ridiculous telling my 60 year old coworker to take a break like...she's almost three times my age she can do what she wants, yall. She was alive when the Berlin wall came down who am I to tell her when to take a break

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Pentaghastly posted:

She was alive when the Berlin wall came down who am I to tell her when to take a break

Uhh....?

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Zenithe posted:

Uhh....?

So help me god if you tell me that didnt happen in the 80s and I'm actually a big idiot...

Shes old! Is my point

Edit: I wikipedia'd it and it was late 80s!

Maybe I should have said she remembers the day Nixon resigned or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

It happened in 1989. I don't know how old you are but it wasn't even 30 years ago