Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Phanatic posted:

And a 2-year employment contract and a $5 per-unit royalty .

The Kickstarter itself garnered $350,000. We've made fun of this thing on the Kickstarter failures thread but jesus that's the opposite of a failure, this guy made a lousy toy and made mad bank off of it, more power to him.

I mean, we've made fun of technically financially successful garbage in this thread before.

Also, I hadn't had the sound on for that video the first time, and it's hilarious that he brought in a record with a simple drum beat to attempt to disguise how bad the sound quality is. Holy poo poo, Robert got duped if that deal actually went through after the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Zaphod42 posted:

How much computering would you rather do on that thing as opposed to a smartphone? Or a full desktop?

I don't see it.

Let me break it down for you:

Smartphone: Portable; Does not run Windows

Full Desktop: Not portable; Runs Windows

GPD Win 2: Portable; Runs Windows

The small form factor and full windows support is what almost convinced me to purchase the GPD Win 1 when Newegg had it on sale a while back (I ultimately purchased a 3D printer with the money, but that is neither here nor there).

Do I think they are overstating the capabilities of the system? You bet.

Do I think its 'pants-on-head' stupid like so much of the other things we've seen in this thread? Not even close.

CollegeCop has a new favorite as of 16:15 on Jan 24, 2018

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Phanatic posted:

The Kickstarter itself garnered $350,000. We've made fun of this thing on the Kickstarter failures thread but jesus that's the opposite of a failure, this guy made a lousy toy and made mad bank off of it, more power to him.

I suppose it's a failure on the part of the consumers. I'm also curious whether they could be sued for misrepresenting (or flat-out fabricating) the performance.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Harveygod posted:

I suppose it's a failure on the part of the consumers. I'm also curious whether they could be sued for misrepresenting (or flat-out fabricating) the performance.

No, you can't sue them over the fact the sound sucks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol I like how in all the pitch vids for the vinyl thing, it's either obviously playback music, and in live presentation it's some vague hiphop beat where you can't hear how poo poo it really sounds because it's just a couple beats

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dylan16807 posted:

I'm completely enamored with how it's so bad at keeping speed it's rendered useless, while the decades-old toy version works fine.

I posted Techmoan's videos on it when it first came out, in his follow-up vid he takes it apart and the one big difference seems to be that the classic record runner toy propelled itself forward while the RokBlok actually pulls itself along which generates a ton more force and also requires that the stylus be backwards.

CollegeCop posted:

Let me break it down for you:

Smartphone: Portable; Does not run Windows

Full Desktop: Not portable; Runs Windows

GPD Win 2: Portable; Runs Windows

The small form factor and full windows support is what almost convinced me to purchase the GPD Win 1 when Newegg had it on sale a while back (I ultimately purchased a 3D printer with the money, but that is neither here nor there).

Do I think its 'pants-on-head' stupid like so much of the other things we've seen in this thread? Not even close.

So basically when you absolutely, positively have to make sure you get Steam cheevos from your on-the-go gaming.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

CollegeCop posted:

That's what I'm thinking now, too. I can envision a netbook with some extra buttons and an anolog stick. They're not making some new ecosystem like Ouya. I am a bit dubious at how well they'll manage "AAA" games, but it may be fine enough.

While I'm at it, Modobag eventually shipped and seems to have not been a scam afterall, so I don't know what to believe anymore. Airlines just seem to want the batteries removed before boarding. :shrug:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
An American board game company raises over $4 million on Kickstarter to make a game about feudal Japan, is still so loving lazy that they do all their research on Wikipedia and wind up building an entire playable race out of a piece of Wikipedia vandalism.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phanatic posted:

He sold whatever remained of that cash to the Shark Tank dude as part of the $500K, I suspect.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Not being a climber, I had no idea what a "nut tool" was until seeing this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/820736357/retracto-a-nut-tools-best-friend?ref=category_newest&ref=discovery

I am, however, familiar with retractable keyrings

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Retractable-Chain-Stainless-Cable/dp/B00416DLOQ

Don't think this one is going to last long.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

An American board game company raises over $4 million on Kickstarter to make a game about feudal Japan, is still so loving lazy that they do all their research on Wikipedia and wind up building an entire playable race out of a piece of Wikipedia vandalism.

"This is the most exciting thing to happen in Dannevirke (tiny rural town) since someone tried to open a brothel there in 2008 and it lasted precisely 3 weeks."

I loving love this, and I'm glad it didn't turn out the kiwi farmer's character isn't some anime death tentacle rape monster.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

CollegeCop posted:

Not being a climber, I had no idea what a "nut tool" was until seeing this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/820736357/retracto-a-nut-tools-best-friend?ref=category_newest&ref=discovery

I am, however, familiar with retractable keyrings

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Retractable-Chain-Stainless-Cable/dp/B00416DLOQ

Don't think this one is going to last long.

I've got a nut tool for you right here

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I was really confused because I thought you meant Kiwi Farm, the weird offsite dedicated to that Sonic dude

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Guy Mann posted:

value-brand cereal posted:

"This is the most exciting thing to happen in Dannevirke (tiny rural town) since someone tried to open a brothel there in 2008 and it lasted precisely 3 weeks."

I loving love this, and I'm glad it didn't turn out the kiwi farmer's character isn't some anime death tentacle rape monster.

I really want to hear more about Doobie's Whore House, frankly.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I really want to hear more about Doobie's Whore House, frankly.

Well, now I have an idea for a terrible board game... brb, setting up the flex funding IndieGoGo now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

The Glumslinger posted:

I was really confused because I thought you meant Kiwi Farm, the weird offsite dedicated to that Sonic dude

It took this post fir me to realize that myself, so thank you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh you're going to have to put in some real work if you're planning on competing in the terrible board games crowdfunding stakes. There's some fuckin' doozies out there.

Marriage License Reality Board game
Holy poo poo this guy has some issues about marriage and he decided to 'educate' everyone about them using a board game

quote:

This exciting, challenging, and educational Board game developed to educate people about the laws involved with marriage. Intrexgames the 'Company', our goal, would like to greatly reduce Domestic violence at home.This Board game is great for marriage preparation courses, college students who are interested in discovering more about all aspects of marriage, for family's to play for fun at home while educating themselves or even their children, anyone at all interested in playing a game that is both fun and educational!

Why are there so many spiders??? Why are there so many puzzles? Why is the game board so incredibly complex? :psyduck::psyduck:

His sizzle video is 14 minutes long, the middle 6 minutes is just footage of him opening the game box and slowly taking out each game piece and holding them in front of the camera while Fallin' by Alicia Keys plays in the background twice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAuzi5e9MyE

He was trying to raise $25,000 but he only got a single pity pledge of $25 which wasn't even enough to get that backer a copy of the game.

Or maybe lovely low effort game kickstarters are more your jam?

Sports based board game
Here's the entire pitch for the project:

quote:

About

I am raising money for R and D and the risk of this project is that it will not sell as much as anticipated but given the amount of interest in the lives of athletes off the field .I am certain that with the research and development this project can turn into the number one board game in the nation and that is without the matching online game
Risks and challenges

Risk are few but can be daunting The challenge is to get the game setup and design making sure it is designed to take the market by storm. Bring sexy back to board games. But I feel that we have a winner here .Where fantasy and board games meet
There's only a single rewards tier of $200 which gets you a copy of the game plus a t-shirt and hat. Goal = $10,000, funding total = $3.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 15:20 on Jan 25, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh god

The Last Free American Board Game.

quote:

The Last Free American is a physical and digital platform board game that inspires, provokes and informs knowledge-based conversations about political issues from gun ownership to freedom of religion, economic freedom and beyond.

The object of the game is to be the last free American, a feat that is achieved by prevailing over rivals by playing the winning argument and strategy cards.

This is a social entrepreneur enterprise in that our long-term goal is to promote more intelligent political discussions and to facilitate political activism.

We are raising funds to use for programming the online version and for promoting the physical version through activist and education organizations nationwide.

Licenses to create games are free to the public. The business model is based on maintaining exclusive rights to sell sponsorships for all games and to stage competitions.

We have filed for intellectual protection of the platform and game elements and have obtained the relevant domain names.

We have also developed and distributed a prototype game aimed at illustrating the “micro” end of the game applications.

The platform is designed to accommodate continuous development of new games based around new political issues and to allow users and creators to focus their game as narrowly or broadly as they like.
He also has a :psyduck: promo video

Edit: and here's a lovely low effort project

Turning a unique board game into a virtual masterpiece.

quote:

Funds needed to hire game developers to produce my vision. Would like to create a online version first than develop the original board game, due to production costs. When playing online you will travel through the board on foot experiencing the world around you. Being able to watch each battle and spell take effect. This will be a brilliant site to see. Imagination brought to life in this magnetic "Epic" game.

He's a loving board game ideas man who wants to hire people to do all the boring work of creating the actual game for him. His fundraising goal was $10,000 and he had a single reward tier of $10,000 for "Earn a meeting with me to discuss business."

Edit: oh drat I can't stop looking at these lovely, lovely games

Treasure in Heaven Family Bible Board Game
It's like something that Rod and Tod Flanders would get excited about

quote:

Who loves the Treasure In Heaven game?
- Mothers' and fathers' eyes sparkle with joy when their children boldly confess Jesus with their mouth as a part of game play.
- College students think it is a great way to actually experience the scriptures in a non-religious setting.
- It is simple enough for young children to enjoy and they become eager to learn to read!
- Young adults are attracted to the sophisticated game mechanics and complexity.
- Art lovers are attracted to the great works of art.
- Older people just like it.
Everything about this is amazing

quote:

Pledge US$ 10,000

Second Coming Level: True Treasure in Heaven because of your desire to see the Gospel shared with children around the world! 10 of everything! The Print and Play Version of the game (available now). The Treasure in Heaven Banner! The Game Creators will come to your church or store and play the game! (Please send tickets and lodging!) A handmade copy of the Treasure in Heaven Game. And don't forget the personalized Backer card!

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Jan 25, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Going off of the BoardGameGeek episode of The F-Plus, the world of self-published board games is about as rife with CHUDs as the world of self-published fiction.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Awful Kickstarters: Older people just like it!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Makes me want to check out Traditional Games for some crowdfunded heartbreakers and assorted insane nonsense role playing games. I have a soft spot for games that are so ridiculously complex it's hard to imagine people actually playing them. (then again, The Campaign For North Africa is a thing)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

unpacked robinhood posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1831792426/ullothe-wine-purifier

This 80$ diva cup will filter bad molecules out of good wine molecules

Filters out preservatives? What?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

fondue posted:

Filters out preservatives? What?

Yeah. You know. Preservatives like alcohol.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQQHD5tGCu0

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poptheatr/poptheatr-the-personal-theater-for-watching-comfor

:suicide:

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

So it's a laundry basket designed to make it easy for somebody to steal your phone while making you look like the one that needs punishment? Neat.

At first, I thought it was a joke, but it really seems like they're serious…

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
You know how lying flat on your back, without a pillow, and with your arms on the side of your body is the most comfortable position? Well imagine lying like that with a hamper on your head and looking at your phone on the opposite side of the hamper. Now imagine doing that for the length of a TV show, or typical feature-length film, and maybe even doing so in public.

Do I have your attention? Good. For the shocking price of 60 goddamn dollars, this stupid thing could be yours with another $10 in shipping. Act now, because I'll somehow be charging 120 fuckin' dollars for this thing once it hits retail.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Feb 1, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If you really want to lay still on your back and watch your phone with your head in a isolation chamber thing instead of just laying down and putting it on a stand and dimming the lights or something like a normie, you can literally make a better, cheaper version of this out of the box it will ship in and some tape, fine for using in your bedroom. LOL if this is something you'd actually use in public.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's the next iteration of that stupid 1-person indoor tent that was posted a few pages ago.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
People could still see you jerk it.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Of all the projects I've seen from this thread, this one gave me the biggest price shock. 120 dollars for that? I guess maybe the bluetooth speaker adds a fair bit to it, but that thing looks like something they sell at the counter at 7-11.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

mds2 posted:

You buy a second poptheatr to put over your crotch, or you could invest in the poptheatr plus which is just a tent that you construct to masturbate inside.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

Of all the projects I've seen from this thread, this one gave me the biggest price shock. 120 dollars for that? I guess maybe the bluetooth speaker adds a fair bit to it, but that thing looks like something they sell at the counter at 7-11.

Well its not 7-11 but: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AEC...2787473447.html

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

It looks exactly like the tunnel I got for the cats.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

yeah, well...

there is no such thing as bad publicity I suppose

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

This is especially dumb as gently caress when things like Daydream View etc already exist, which do the same job like 1000x better and only make you look slightly stupid.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

mds2 posted:

It's a feature, not a bug.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

yeah, well...

there is no such thing as bad publicity I suppose

Two of the three press quotes are literally just parts of sentences describing how it physically works.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

kemikalkadet posted:

Two of the three press quotes are literally just parts of sentences describing how it physically works.

Well with glowing reviews like these, I'm sold!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Stretch goal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Harveygod posted: