Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, I'd say the New Hotness since then is probably Stonemaier Games IMO, in particular Viticulture/Tuscany, but Scythe is kickstarting soon too.

Also, have you come across Hanabi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Meldonox posted:

I have heard the gospel of Saint Vlaada, and my copy of Space Alert lies yet unsullied by human hands.

When I was active last I think Puzzle Strike was the big thing everyone talked about. I picked up a game or two since then and once or twice even posted here to find out what's good but I haven't really followed the hobby or any developments in it.

Codenames is the newest psalm.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I love Codenames and it is a very, very good game but I wouldn't say it is revolutionary.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I've heard of Viticulture and Hanabi, but by name only. I know nothing at all about any of these titles.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Tekopo posted:

I didn't like how most of the solutions are 'ignore them' or 'be pass-agg'. From 1-5 he just promotes behaviours that will acerbate issues: I've been in a game were a couple were colluding and it both soured me to playing with them and playing that particular game altogether and it wasn't called out at the time because I was young and afraid of confrontation.

When people stop being interested, you can't ignore them either because the enjoyment of the game is gonna be negatively affected for everyone: Quinn seems to be working on the assumption that the only person that a problem player affects is you, not the group as a whole. I've also been in a situation where someone stopped paying attention and it affected both me and the other 2 players at the table and I ended the game because everyone's interest had ended after having to wait ages for the problem player to com back to the player/pay actual attention to the game.

He's absolutely correct about people being insulting/demeaning and that you should put your foot down but for the rest he acts like they aren't problems at all: they are certainly lesser problems but they can still be problems that negatively impact a night and should be prevented from happening.

I think the solutions he presented for 1-5 are pretty helpful for playing with a smaller group of friends rather than a bigger meetup. I also inferred that this advice is less applicable for getting specific, difficult-to-pitch games to the table and moreso general tips on being accommodating when feasible. Frankly the first five problem players seem to stem from a premise of "game night" rather than "game meet up." The latter case there's more need for, well, people to be less problematic.

Number 6 was solid talk though yeah.

EDIT: Also regardless of the viability of advice; Quinns needs to do more general topic videos like this and that introducing board games one a way back because he hits a stride that kind of doesn't get to be seen when inspecting a single game.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 26, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's not even that, some of the 'solutions' he brings up are straight up aggressive poo poo that will just precipitate a situation and deliberately aggravate people. His method of dealing with quarterbacker is pretty bad but his way of dealing with hecklers is even worse, for a small group as well as a meetup.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Meme Emulator posted:

Are there any online chess websites that allow you to make illegal moves? I want to try playing Chess 2 online with a buddy of mine

I couldn't find one, but I made this and you're welcome to use it.

Edit: the black box is for secretly bidding stones

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 26, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Meldonox posted:

I've heard of Viticulture and Hanabi, but by name only. I know nothing at all about any of these titles.

Viticulture is a good, balanced, quick WP game themed around (what else but) wine-making.

Hanabi is a shortish, very difficult, co-op trick-making card game, whose USP is that you don't get to see your OWN hand of cards, you get to see everyone else's and you're trying to deduce who has what in order to play. It's really, really good.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I couldn't find one, but I made this and you're welcome to use it.

Edit: the black box is for secretly bidding stones

Thanks. Also the name Chess 2 just makes me giggle

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

After further deliberation, I've decided to look and see how many places Marco Polo is out of stock at. Spoiler: all the places.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Chess was ruined when everyone started playing with the Mad Queen expansion.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Codenames is getting a reprint, right? Because I want it, and it's out of stock everywhere :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I hope so, because I've ordered it and the place assures me it will be in stock next month.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Made my first foray into foamcore with a box insert for argent, holds all the expansion content as well

Removable tray for mana/coins/int+wis/merit badges

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo posted:

It's not even that, some of the 'solutions' he brings up are straight up aggressive poo poo that will just precipitate a situation and deliberately aggravate people. His method of dealing with quarterbacker is pretty bad but his way of dealing with hecklers is even worse, for a small group as well as a meetup.

Yeah, the 'let people have their magic moments' stuff was understandable, even if wrong, and consistent with Quinns normie love & accessibilty viewpoint, but the heckler segment was just straight bizarre.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

He's probably joking about the heckler solution but it's difficult enough to tell

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I think it's supposed to be a serious advice, but presented in comically exaggerated manner.

Then again, I neither really understand it, nor knew rules heckling was ever a thing.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So yesterday I finally got a chance to try a couple of new games (both with 3 players).

First, we played a cooperative scenario of Legendary Encounters: Predator. The team managed to win by defeating the predator a turn or so after I died. I was the only casualty because I was fortunate enough to draw every single event and hazard card, and I had one rather unfortunate turn that had me draw 6 or 7 strikes. Kind of sucked for me, but was very helpful for the team as a whole since nobody else was marked the others could more easily handle the predator. I actually had the strike card that basically says 'if you die, everyone else dies too', but a clutch healing card removed it the turn before I died. All-in-all we had a lot of fun, and I found the game really fit the movie, especially if you remembered the characters and quotes. Teamwork (using coordinate cards) was extremely important and rewarding. My only slight complaint is that scanning might be a little too risky, making characters like the 'tracker' who are good at scanning far more vulnerable to events and hazards than other players. Maybe this only seems like a big deal since I drew every...single... event and hazard, but it was a little annoying. This game has really scratched my itch for a cooperative version of Dominion with a theme I happen to really like (my wife thought the Predator movie was stupid, so we'll see if she likes the gameplay). I have yet to try the competitive 'you are predators competing for the best trophies' game, but it also looks very fun and uses much of the same mechanics but ALL different cards, so basically the box comes with two games in one even if they use nearly identical mechanics. I should mention that I have never played any of the other Legendary games so I can't really compare them, but I like this enough that I could see myself buying the Aliens version for a change once I've played this one a lot.

Secondly we played three games of Archipelago. The first game we played the 'short' game with the variant with all public objectives (as sort of a training run). It was fun, but it fell prey to the same sort of all-out final turn victory point grab that the games 'hidden' end conditions seem designed to avoid. Because the game was short, there was no time to really set up any kind of real engine or economy and it just boiled down to 'who can spam the most ports and markets out without spending any exploration tokens' (since the VP objectives were for those three things). Also, we got a lot of rules wrong..... more on that later.

The second game we played the long game, but it ended with a separatist win in under an hour. We were pretty unfortunate in our crisis draws (crises are basically demands for goods that if you don't meet them, people get pissed and start rebelling), and since we were still new and rebelling wasn't a problem in the previous game, the two of us who weren't the separatist didn't really take it seriously until it was too late. This was the one aspect of the game that, at least in a 3-player game, seemed a little too 'random' for my taste in that I could imagine it happening quite frequently after the first few turns depending on the luck of the evolution cards and crises' since players have yet to build up any churches or anything to combat it. I guess it's also a good reason to expand your population ASAP so the white man always outnumbers the black man (I'm being serious, although the game is fun it is one of the most racially insensitive games I've ever played. The settlers are tracked by a white meeple and pictured with a profile of a white man with a beard and a hat. The rebels are tracked with a black meeple and pictured with a tribal black man sticking out his tongue. If the black meeple ever overtakes the white meeple, the game is lost and the people have rebelled. Also, there is a 'slavery' card). One can make a case that the game is just being historically accurate or something, but it's worth mentioning.

So we played one more 'long' game and this time we actually got to experience the real game since it lasted long enough for all of us to build a number of buildings, acquire evolution cards, play the market, etc. I managed to win the game by 1 victory point BUT after combing through BGG afterwards I found out that I screwed up some rules. A few of those screwups were my fault, but a few were the direct result of what I feel is the biggest problem with the game, a very unclear and inadequate rulebook. The rulebook LOOKS nice and seems to have lots of examples, but there are a few things that are poorly explained, at least one thing that is never explained, and at least one thing that is outright wrong that was lost during the English translation. I got at least four things wrong every time we played. Most were inconsequential and were fine because they applied to us all equally (we played that you couldn't use a port or market on the same turn you built it when it turns out you can), but there were at least a couple that probably affected the outcome of the game and will have people questioning my win. This is a helpful rules thread on BGG I would recommend reading after reading the normal rulebook but before playing your first game.

So in summary, despite my rules complaints I really enjoyed Archipelago. It has that exploring the unknown organic kind of feel of a game like eclipse, the buy low sell high watch the market kind of aspect of a game like Puerto Rico, and that satisfying feel of building your own little empire and watching it grow. I really really like the secret objective cards when you play the game with no variants. In addition to one public victory point objective that everyone knows each player is dealt a card has an end of game condition and a victory point condition. In this way, you only have direct knowledge of one of the ways the game can end as well as one of the VP conditions, so you have to pay attention to what other players are doing to try and detect what they might have. Is someone building more ports than it looks like they need? Do they seem to be buying character evolution cards at the expense of what seem to be better progress cards? In the absence of knowing what all the victory point conditions are, you are generally awarded for having an all-around successful island nation (you may not come in first place for many VP objectives, but you have a good chance of coming in second or third place on all of them). It also curtails the 'gold rush for victory points' final turn that a lot of similar games tend to have that I don't particularly care for (personal preference). Also, the semi-cooperative nature of the game with the potential for the separatist and/or pacifist makes for some excellent negotiating and is a real balancing act. You want the people to be happy so the game doesn't end, but you don't want them to be TOO happy or the Pacifist will get a large chunk of victory points all to themselves.

Sorry for the long post, but it was a very interesting game!

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 27, 2015

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
If my girlfiend likes Carcassonne (my opinion: stupid, boring) and Alhambra (my opinion: quite fun), is there like a gold standard of that sort of game that I should buy? Like, uhh, competitive building stuff. Nothing exceedingly complex preferably.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ras Het posted:

If my girlfiend likes Carcassonne (my opinion: stupid, boring) and Alhambra (my opinion: quite fun), is there like a gold standard of that sort of game that I should buy? Like, uhh, competitive building stuff. Nothing exceedingly complex preferably.

Suburbia.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

hito posted:

Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

The correct answer for her tastes, even though Suburbia is a better game.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Ras Het posted:

Isle of Skye might fit the bill, and it's been getting some good buzz. I'd say it ranks quite a few notches below Castles of Mad King Ludwig in terms of complexity, but then again I haven't played either :v:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Ohh, Castles of Mad King Ludwig looks perfect. Thanks a bunch.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I had a good, if short, gaming day yesterday. I started with Codenames, where my team lost because they guessed Cloak, and Ball instead of Ice Cream from my clue Water. The game's great.

I also got to play Tigris and Euphrates for the first time. I really want to try it again, and not gently caress up. It was a 4 player game, with 3 of us playing for the first time. Pretty early on someone made a red/black monument, and everyone started trying to get in on that.

For a good part of the game, I was the only one starting external conflicts, though I did pretty badly, and lost a bunch of them. I think we were all playing too nice, and let the owner grow a sizeable kingdom. Not necessarily good for him, but we didn't know how to take advantage of it. By the end, I was doing pretty badly, and needed to get some green points, and spent a few turns fishing for tiles. When I went to place them, I completely missed how close the massive kingdom was, and ended giving the other player 5 green points or so.

The scores at the end were 14 for the owner, and 7, 7, 3 for the rest of us.

I definitely want to play again, but with 3 players. Especially for a learning game, I felt it was a bit chaotic for my liking. I remember someone (Tekopo?) talking about how they made an animation of the board from a PbP. If anyone has that, I'd really like to see it, just to see how the board developed in another game.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My GF's father had to do a hail mary in the last round of Code Names, trying to connect Ray and Match. He smartly said "Mancini 2". Unfortunately two of the other words out there were Boom and Glove.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
18XX people: Some coworkers and I are thinking of doing a weeklong 1830 game (Mayfair edition) over a series of lunch breaks, because we need to learn the product we push. I'm on learn-it-and-teach-it duty. Should we play the Mayfair base game, the classic game, or some other variant to start?

Also, could someone confirm a rule for me, to make sure I'm understanding it correctly?
  • Corporate shares: Players can only buy these from the bank or initial offer, and cannot buy/sell shares among themselves.
  • Private companies: Players can buy/sell these among themselves, but cannot sell them to the bank.
  • Corporations can buy private companies, but cannot sell them.

Do I have that all correct?

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 28, 2015

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Big McHuge posted:

My GF's father had to do a hail mary in the last round of Code Names, trying to connect Ray and Match. He smartly said "Mancini 2". Unfortunately two of the other words out there were Boom and Glove.

Light 2!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Gutter Owl posted:

18XX people: Some coworkers and I are thinking of doing a weeklong 1830 game (Mayfair edition) over a series of lunch breaks, because we need to learn the product we push. I'm on learn-it-and-teach-it duty. Should we play the Mayfair base game, the classic game, or some other variant to start?

Also, could someone confirm a rule for me, to make sure I'm understanding it correctly?
  • Corporate shares: Players can only buy these from the bank or initial offer, and cannot buy/sell shares among themselves.
  • Private companies: Players can buy/sell these among themselves, but cannot sell them to the bank.
  • Corporations can buy private companies, but cannot sell them.

Do I have that all correct?

Do you work at Mayfair? Yes, all of that is true.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I work for a company that does multimedia for them (and other game companies). If you've seen this or this or this, it's partly my fault.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Play Classic.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Watching my wife get irrationally angry that her dungeon pet is constipated has to be one of the highlights of my life.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Played Concordia this evening. Bought it after goons suggested it earlier in the week. It's good. Real good. Agricola-tier good.

Thanks board game goons. I never would have gotten past the box cover without you.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Medium Style posted:

Played Concordia this evening. Bought it after goons suggested it earlier in the week. It's good. Real good. Agricola-tier good.

Thanks board game goons. I never would have gotten past the box cover without you.

What's wrong with creepy vampire-like lady? :v:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Medium Style posted:

Yeah the box cover is seriously off-putting to many people.

It's an incredibly tight game though.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

cenotaph posted:

Play Classic.

Any particular reason to favor it over the Mayfair version, besides purism? As far as I can tell, there are only two major differences.

1) The new version uses a simplified starting bid system for the private companies.

2) Forced train purchases are cash-only in the new version. If the Corporation+President doesn't have sufficient money on hand for a train, the remainder is paid off with a bank loan, rather than liquidating the president's assets.

Do either of those substantially cheapen the game?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I played The Game of Life: Twists and Turns and I much preferred it to Firefly, fluxx and munchkin

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't have the T&E gif anymore unfortunately since it is in a long dead laptop: I think if you have archives you should be able to find the thread where I posted it though (it was a PBP for the game).

As for 1830, play classic, having the bank loan is basically playing the game with stabiliser wheels and not the true 1830 experience.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Okay, I know I asked, but I've done more reading, and I'll teach Mayfair base game for this first game. The complicated buy-bid phase seems really unfriendly to teach, particularly when people are distracted by food, and I don't want to deal with it. (And since this is a product-learning-sorta-thing, I'd rather not mix and match, so I guess we'll live with the training wheel loans.)

I'll play "real" 1830 some other time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The bidding isn't really that difficult though? I dunno, I never struggled with it, even when I first got started into 18XX. You either put an 'interest bid' on something or buy from the top.