Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Judge Tesla posted:

Jesus was the Pirate Master's Castle in Shantae and the Pirate's Curse some platforming hell, woe betide you if you don't have all 20 Cacklebats when you reach the big guy at the top though.

I quit at that point. Maybe sooner? It was the last island, I believe, when the platforming went from decently easy and fun to sky level Mega Man bullshit. Whatever, that first 80% of the game was worth $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I am getting my rear end kicked by Xord in Xenoblade and I'm not sure why. I've been playing as Shulk and letting the A.I. do healing and tanking but the healing sucks and my tank just falls apart like sandpaper.

I'm at the bottom of that huge mine and even the regular mook encounters were awful tough. I feel like my gear is okay, everyone's level 24, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Should I be playing as Reyn or the chick instead of Shulk?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I am getting my rear end kicked by Xord in Xenoblade and I'm not sure why. I've been playing as Shulk and letting the A.I. do healing and tanking but the healing sucks and my tank just falls apart like sandpaper.

I'm at the bottom of that huge mine and even the regular mook encounters were awful tough. I feel like my gear is okay, everyone's level 24, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Should I be playing as Reyn or the chick instead of Shulk?

Abuse arts with bonus conditions, like Slit Edge, Back Slash, Air Slash, etc. in order to get your party gauge full. Use a Chain Attack to Break and Topple Xord, and then go to town. If you can't survive that long, consider fighting the mooks around him instead of him in order to have an easier time: Monado Enchant will let you hit them without being blocked, and you won't lose your tension so easily. Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest other than getting a couple more levels.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So you can't replace the faceplates on a new 3DS XL, which sucks cos some of the new 3DS ones look beautiful. You can replace the battery cover though, but the only ones that seem to be for sale are the standard ones. Has anyone seen any custom ones for sale online? Would be nice to at least have a nice pattern somewhere.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Have you been leveling up your arts?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

How the hell do you get that smug Isabelle badge that's up on Badge Arcade right now? (The one on a hook.) I've wasted like 10 free plays on it and it seems impossible to get off of the hook.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

More Xenoblade questions. About affinity and trading. How do I raise affinity for NPCs? I know you get the portable gem maker for completing the Colony 6 reconstruction. Is the reconstruction worth grinding out all at once?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

More Xenoblade questions. About affinity and trading. How do I raise affinity for NPCs? I know you get the portable gem maker for completing the Colony 6 reconstruction. Is the reconstruction worth grinding out all at once?

Don't worry too much about NPC affinity, just do quests and talk to people. You get the portable gem maker by doing the first stage of Colony 6 reconstruction which you can do right away I think, and if you care about gems its worth doing. The entire reconstruction requires materials that you get in different areas as the game progresses so you can't do it all at once, it's a gradual process.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Affinity will happen as you do more quests and talk to NPCs, but it's not terribly important. The portable gem furnace is pretty nice to have in the event that you want to make gems and you don't have access to fast travel/don't want to because you haven't hit a landmark in a while, but aside from that, I wouldn't worry about colony 6 reconstruction too much.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Colony 6 Reconstruction will stretch all the way to the final zones of the game, and some of the things you need are either rare. Keep an eye out for what you can get and when, but don't break your back over it.

edit: Area affinity goes up a teeny bit by talking to everyone at least twice and filling out the NPC chart, and considerably more by doing quests. NPC affinity is also mostly changed by doing quests. Make sure to run around like a loon and talk to people so they tell you what's changed. Shulk is just the biggest gossip on the Bionis. (Also rotate your party a lot when doing quests, you get affinity with the party leader when the sidekicks interrupt.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 5, 2016

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nintendo is doing maintenance on Monday. If you want homebrew and you're on firmware 9.8 or higher, get it set up as soon as possible. Nintendo can lock out the web browser and require an update to use it.

http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008
can we seriously get another thread for hax, im not poor so i dont need to pirate games (like the only reason to downgrade to 9.2 or whatever) kthx

edit: 'homebrew' lol as if anyone cares about emulating SNES for the 10000000th time, you guys just want to play 'backups'

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

EndTask posted:

edit: 'homebrew' lol as if anyone cares about emulating SNES for the 10000000th time, you guys just want to play 'backups'

Just ignore the people that ask what emulators to use all the time.

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008

enojy posted:

How the hell do you get that smug Isabelle badge that's up on Badge Arcade right now? (The one on a hook.) I've wasted like 10 free plays on it and it seems impossible to get off of the hook.

i got her without really trying (was more going for that cat i think), you basically aim for the hamster and if you do it right he gets knocked down through the middle of isabelle and the cat, the left part of the hook should knock out the isabelle. it's not impossible and i've yet to spend a cent or much effort on this dumb game, if knocking the hamster through the middle doesn't work for you then i honestly have no idea how else you'd do it...

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
can we get jivjov's thoughts on this homebrew topic

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

EndTask posted:

i got her without really trying (was more going for that cat i think), you basically aim for the hamster and if you do it right he gets knocked down through the middle of isabelle and the cat, the left part of the hook should knock out the isabelle. it's not impossible and i've yet to spend a cent or much effort on this dumb game, if knocking the hamster through the middle doesn't work for you then i honestly have no idea how else you'd do it...

Thanks, that's a good idea. I had a feeling there was some physics involved, since trying to pull the hook up gets snagged on her hair bump and it just falls back down on the peg. I've also yet to spend a cent on this silly thing, but tomorrow's the last day, so if I don't pull it off with the free plays, I'm selling out.

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008

enojy posted:

Thanks, that's a good idea. I had a feeling there was some physics involved, since trying to pull the hook up gets snagged on her hair bump and it just falls back down on the peg. I've also yet to spend a cent on this silly thing, but tomorrow's the last day, so if I don't pull it off with the free plays, I'm selling out.
for sure, i've been on that same boat but i've always been able to pull off some RNGesus poo poo, best of luck

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

General Morden posted:

can we get jivjov's thoughts on this homebrew topic

Please

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Dehry posted:

Nintendo is doing maintenance on Monday. If you want homebrew and you're on firmware 9.8 or higher, get it set up as soon as possible. Nintendo can lock out the web browser and require an update to use it.

http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

I am on 9.8 but I'm confused as to why it matters if I wait to do it?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Melmac posted:

I am on 9.8 but I'm confused as to why it matters if I wait to do it?

You first use an entrypoint in the browser to install another (more permanent) entrypoint in a game's save or in the home menu theme data.

They can (read will) "patch" the browser from their end and stop that first entrypoint so it's a bit more tedious if you need homebrew afterwards. You'd have to get access to an already homebrewed 3DS to install the hax in an exploitable game cart (OoT3D, Cubic Ninja, ...) as opposed to launching the browser and following an URL.

Olivil fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 5, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

sharktamer posted:

So you can't replace the faceplates on a new 3DS XL, which sucks cos some of the new 3DS ones look beautiful. You can replace the battery cover though, but the only ones that seem to be for sale are the standard ones. Has anyone seen any custom ones for sale online? Would be nice to at least have a nice pattern somewhere.

The Nintendo Store usually has all of them. I think you can get black, red, Monster Hunter (silver) and Zelda (gold), depending on what they have in stock at the time.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Olivil posted:

You first use an entrypoint in the browser to install another (more permanent) entrypoint in a game's save or in the home menu theme data.

They can (read will) "patch" the browser from their end and stop that first entrypoint so it's a bit more tedious if you need homebrew afterwards. You'd have to get access to an already homebrewed 3DS to install the hax in an exploitable game cart (OoT3D, Cubic Ninja, ...) as opposed to launching the browser and following an URL.

Ok thanks but how would Nintendo patch out the browser exploit if I stay on 9.8?

raditts posted:

The Nintendo Store usually has all of them. I think you can get black, red, Monster Hunter (silver) and Zelda (gold), depending on what they have in stock at the time.

He's probably like most people and is annoyed the battery cover is glossy. I've read there is a guide on making it matte black using sandpaper but I can't find any guides (just people talking about it).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i would appreciate a new homebrew thread if only so one doesn't have to trawl through to page 536 to find some info on the subject if they're interested

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Remember: If you install homebrew hacks on your 3DS, Reggie will kill you.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

And if you make any posts about homebrew hacks in this thread Iwata will haunt you

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i hacked the poo poo out of my wii

what do you think of that Nintendo Gods???

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Melmac posted:

Ok thanks but how would Nintendo patch out the browser exploit if I stay on 9.8?

After the last browser hacks they implemented a kill switch on the browser. It will prompt for an update when trying to open it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

You fool! You have angered them!

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

voltcatfish posted:

Prepare your body for Reggie's wrath.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Dehry posted:

After the last browser hacks they implemented a kill switch on the browser. It will prompt for an update when trying to open it.

Ok that makes a lot of sense. It's still relatively unsafe to downgrade the n3ds still right? I know o3ds is fine.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Melmac posted:

Ok that makes a lot of sense. It's still relatively unsafe to downgrade the n3ds still right? I know o3ds is fine.

Said "killswitch" is only implemented from 9.9.0 onwards, so you're good. They can't patch out your browser exploit if you don't update.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Man, Secret of Mana is really loving good. Grindy, but good. Can't believe I waited so long to play it. Is the sequel any good? I'm not that far into it, mind you...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Man, Secret of Mana is really loving good. Grindy, but good. Can't believe I waited so long to play it. Is the sequel any good? I'm not that far into it, mind you...
SD3 is hella good, its even better than SoM.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

sd3 is good and haters may try to convince you otherwise, but legend of mana is good too

the rest of the series? complete and utter trash.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Help Im Alive posted:

And if you make any posts about homebrew hacks in this thread Iwata will haunt you

You say that like keeping one of Nintendo's greatest minds around in some form is a bad thing.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
jivjov will come after you

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I should probably point out for anybody checking out the Badge Arcade, they added what's probably the worst board today for the US. It's the one that's got all of the Zodiac Animal items from Animal Crossing on display. This is what always happens if you attempt to play the board, you get blocked by both the Monkey and the Cock in a devious maneuver meant to force you into picking off the top badges one by one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I assume Legend is the second game and SD3 is (obviously) third? Never can tell with JRPGs.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I should probably point out for anybody checking out the Badge Arcade, they added what's probably the worst board today for the US. It's the one that's got all of the Zodiac Animal items from Animal Crossing on display. This is what always happens if you attempt to play the board, you get blocked by both the Monkey and the Cock in a devious maneuver meant to force you into picking off the top badges one by one.

Would you say the board is Cockblocking you?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fuzz posted:

I assume Legend is the second game and SD3 is (obviously) third? Never can tell with JRPGs
Secret of Mana is Seiken Densetsu 2, SD3 is the SNES sequel that never left Japan but has a translation patch, Legend is the PSX game that for some reason everyone hates but is secretly awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Even Sword of Mana is good, it's basically Secret of Mana without way too much grinding. I mean there is still some there, but even SD3 (the best game ever) had some required level grinding in it. Secret of Mana is fine but it's not the apex everyone makes it out to be, especially compared to its sequel and everything it could have been.

(Seiken Densetsu 4, for anyone curious, is Dawn of Mana, the seventh game in the series. Explain that to your children.)