Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Has anyone seen either Radius or The Last Days on Netflix? They seem somewhat interesting from the descriptions and both have good tomato scores but neither of them has an abundance of reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Superrodan posted:

Has anyone seen either Radius or The Last Days on Netflix? They seem somewhat interesting from the descriptions and both have good tomato scores but neither of them has an abundance of reviews.

Radius is 3/4 decent until the really loving stupid twist ending they shoe-horned in because they had no idea how to end it. Then it just leaves you pissed off.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Good to know. Also, The Last Days is apparently not on netflix even though rotten tomatoes told me it was. Oops.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Radius is 3/4 decent until the really loving stupid twist ending they shoe-horned in because they had no idea how to end it. Then it just leaves you pissed off.

What why the twist? I got bored half way through it and turned it off.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Hold the Dark is apparently Jeremy Saulnier's most violent film yet according to him, which doesn't really mean anything until you realize he directed Green Room.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I didn't think Green Room was that bad, though going on I basically assumed it was a horror movie.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
green room didn't have a ton of gore, but the little bit that it had was gruesome as gently caress.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Yeah, one think I love about Saulnier is that he doesn't do frequent gore, he does menacing gore. When poo poo gets violent, it has weight and consequence. I'm hyyyypppppeeeee for HTD

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's not corny Bone Tomahawk Fangoria grossout poo poo.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
green room was so tense that it felt like a horrror movie the entire time - not to mention the bursts of gruesome violence and general feeling of claustrophobia

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's the ol bomb under the table Hitchcock thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Imogen Poots was really good in Green Room and I expected her to get more high profile roles after that but it didn't happen.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mary had a little clam posted:

Yeah, one think I love about Saulnier is that he doesn't do frequent gore, he does menacing gore. When poo poo gets violent, it has weight and consequence. I'm hyyyypppppeeeee for HTD

This is what I like about Guillermo del Toro's use of violence, too, like in Pan's Labyrinth and the one about fish fuckin'.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I finally watched Cobra Kai. I really liked it a lot, but I think the last couple of episodes were weak. The show used 2 tropes that I can not stand at all, the 'interrupted before a confession' trope and the eye rolling 'drama due to a misunderstanding' trope (of course theses tropes work together as one at times). To me that is just bad writing. Also it was hard to swallow how they got to the final outcome (which I liked). The fact that Robby became a super karate dude with like a total of 5 days of karate training is complete bullshit. I understand that it is part of the series. That even both Miguel and Daniel should have no chance against dudes who have spent years training. That said at least they sold you on it with the training. With the Robby they didn't even come close.. Also the actor playing Robby was pretty bad. That is pretty much the only complaints I have about it. Looking forward to next season.

mary had a little clam posted:

It always feels raw and real. Like this is what it would be like if this actually happen. That is why it is so effective.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 21, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

Imogen Poots was really good in Green Room and I expected her to get more high profile roles after that but it didn't happen.

Green Room is a weird flick that somehow seems to both be universally loved and almost weirdly invisible. I think time is going to do it heavy favor and it’s going to become a bigger part of good filmmaking discussion in the coming years, especially in regards to filmmaking of this era. Like I don’t even think it’s going to be settled into a cult movie niche, but eventually come to be widely accepted as a capital-G Good Movie.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Fart City posted:

Green Room is a weird flick that somehow seems to both be universally loved and almost weirdly invisible. I think time is going to do it heavy favor and it’s going to become a bigger part of good filmmaking discussion in the coming years, especially in regards to filmmaking of this era. Like I don’t even think it’s going to be settled into a cult movie niche, but eventually come to be widely accepted as a capital-G Good Movie.

ive said it before but i could seriously watch a saulnier movie that is just footage of the band doing band stuff before they get to the venue where everything goes down. its a really gorgeous movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's hard to go back to because of my sweet boy Anton Yelchin.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The machete to the arm in green room got a more visceral reaction out of me than anything I’ve seen in a movie since I first watched irreversible like 20 years ago.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Blue Ruin was better than Green Room, which was amazing, and you owe it to yourself to watch it if you haven't

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked green room a lot better personally but they are both good.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Same, he was awesome. :smith:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Blue Ruin is really really good and should absolutely be seen by anyone who hasn’t watched it, but Green Room is on another level.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing Blue Ruin has that Green Room doesn't is a fantastic lead performance. Everyone is good in Green Room but there's nobody as compelling as Macon Blair in Blue Ruin.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Blue Ruin is in my top 5 movies, I like Green Room but I doubt it even makes it to the top 10. It's all subjective of course but god I loved that movie.

Basebf555 posted:

The thing Blue Ruin has that Green Room doesn't is a fantastic lead performance. Everyone is good in Green Room but there's nobody as compelling as Macon Blair in Blue Ruin.

This too

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Like I agree that Blue Ruin is absolutely legit. I appreciate any movie that is willing to escalate to crossbow use, the more grounded the setting, the bettter.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i appreciate any revenge movie that has the seeker falling asleep on the job

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Both Blue Ruin and Green Room are great. I'm looking forward to Hold the Dark. It's also a good sign that Saulnier is involved in True Detective Season 3.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I had that issue with Thoroughbreds. Such a vulnerable performer.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Blue Ruin and Green Room were so loving good I will see any Saulnier film without knowing a drat thing about it. I have no idea what Hold the Dark is, and I refuse to watch any trailers, and I am already convinced I will like it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

enigmahfc posted:

Blue Ruin and Green Room were so loving good I will see any Saulnier film without knowing a drat thing about it. I have no idea what Hold the Dark is, and I refuse to watch any trailers, and I am already convinced I will like it.

There's a good chance that if you looked up some info you'd be even more hyped for it. But it will probably be worth the wait so good for you if you have the willpower.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Maniac seems really good so far. If you like crt heavy sci fi aesthetics then look no further.

e:this show has a loving bizarre vision of the future, it's hyper capitalist in a way that wouldn't feel out of place in a shadowrun campaign, there's one scene in a blackmail store that's just on a street corner operating legally and there's this service called adbuddy that is a common ad based currency.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 21, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Maniac E2: Ruth, nooo!!

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i liked murder party through green room but id like to see saulnier do something a little different (yes i know murder party was a horror comedy). maybe a sci fi film or something i dont know

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

God, I adored him in the Star Trek reboot movies.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Timby posted:

God, I adored him in the Star Trek reboot movies.

I'm the guy that really enjoyed Odd Thomas and wanted more of the series.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i liked murder party through green room but id like to see saulnier do something a little different (yes i know murder party was a horror comedy). maybe a sci fi film or something i dont know

Wouldn't mind seeing someone get mangled with a hacksaw but in space

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Medullah posted:

I'm the guy that really enjoyed Odd Thomas and wanted more of the series.

Odd Thomas has a charming appeal that made me want to see more from that series. It wasn't ground breaking, but it was better then I thought it would be.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Maniac episode 4 is really something y'all

what a tense and absurd firefight ending to a fargo-esque lemur heist. I was cracking up at the final showdown between a small illegal fur based crime family and Fish and Wildlife officers at a strip mall

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 21, 2018

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

enigmahfc posted:

Odd Thomas has a charming appeal that made me want to see more from that series. It wasn't ground breaking, but it was better then I thought it would be.

It has the perfect balance of funny/goofy and legit scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Eh, I'm ok with someone who does something really well sticking within that general realm. Like, Alex Garland pretty much only does Sci Fi at this point and I don't want to see him do anything else, because I love everything he's done in that realm pretty much. saulnier does the visceral violent thriller really well, and I'm all about the genre so you won't see me complaining.