Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Xachariah posted:

Interesting, does this mean that Russian commanders are resorting to bureaucratic fraud to make themselves look better to their commanders with regards to official figures?

If true then it's more evidence that a lot of people from the ground up in the Russian army are systematically lying to their superiors to make themselves look better, and giving their superiors completely inaccurate figures for logistics, supply, manpower, and equipment as a result. Even the competent commanders in the Russian army would be forging ahead with inaccurate numbers and capabilities provided by their own army.

I thought this was already obvious with the “force new conscripts to sign ‘contracts’ to cover for the fact we don’t actually have the ‘contract’ soldiers we’ve been reporting we have to Moscow.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Between all these logistical fuckups and morale issues on the Russian side with just the initial invasion it's like, even if they do take and occupy all of Ukraine, this is the country that thinks it's going to be able to deal with a massive, well funded insurgency in a country larger and more populous than Iraq? :shepface:

It doesn't, apparently. If this article is correct, all the experts in Russia itself were just as flabbergasted as everyone else, exactly because they understood the consequences.

https://russiancouncil.ru/analytics...ukrainoy/#short

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Xachariah posted:

Interesting, does this mean that Russian commanders are resorting to bureaucratic fraud to make themselves look better to their commanders with regards to official figures?

Resorting? The bureaucratic fraud is the way of life in Russian armed forces and law enforcement. The good stats in a report sent upwards are the most important thing.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
In latest HOI4 expansion there’s a literal “send in forged production reports to make Stalin a teeny bit less crazy for awhile” button so yeah, long Russian tradition.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

Resorting? The bureaucratic fraud is the way of life in Russian armed forces and law enforcement. The good stats in a report sent upwards are the most important thing.

And that's why you sometimes could see staggering difference between "paper strength" and actual numbers for most Warsaw Pact forces. Nice that Russia kept the tradition going.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rumors about Putin planning to declare martial law during his next public address are getting more. If you still can get out, do it now. I guess it might not be possible to legally leave the country very very soon

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Pablo Bluth posted:

Reports of a sunken Estonian-owned cargo ship . If to be believed, it was under Russian Navy control and being used as a shield for landing.

FishBulbia posted:

It seems like it hit a mine, idk how thats proof their using it for a naval landing
Apparently:

quote:

https://gcaptain.com/russia-used-civilian-ship-as-a-human-shield/
“The Russian Black Sea Fleet continues the tactics of Russian ground forces trying to hide behind civilian lives,” said a spokesman for the Ukrainian Navy. “The Russian fleet had already fired on 2 civilian ships and captured 2 ships of the Russian occupiers including the Sapphire, a search and rescue ship on a humanitarian mission.”

Ukrainian officials said that Russian ships gave the commercial ship an ultimatum. They claim a Russian warship ordered HELT to enter the dangerous zone of the Black Sea to protect themselves from Ukrainian artillery – using the civilian ship as a human shield – if the ship did not comply the Russian Navy threatened to open fire on the HELT.

“This is nothing but 21st century piracy,” said the Ukrainian Navy official.

Local Estonian news is reporting that 2 crew members are on a rescue boat but 4 are missing.
e: https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1499380122746560514

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 3, 2022

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ola posted:

The Su-24 is definitely a ground attack aircraft, but it could very well be lacking in equipment or training to conduct such attacks up to a modern standard. More likely it's dropping dumb bombs with radar computed bomb aiming, which is 70s, 80s tech. I'm not sure how well equipped the Ukrainian Su-24s are, but it should be capable of hitting vehicle concentrations pretty well, if not with the pinpoint tankbusting of a Javelin or an airborne laser-/TV-guided missile like the Su-24 could carry in the best case.

Yes, that was his point too. It could drop some dumb bombs, but risking these planes to here and there take out a couple of vehicles in a 70k (forgot the actual length), isn’t gonna make enough of a difference.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1499374146949632000?s=20&t=_lBDiSncqbA5HDEepuRGaA

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

the least important possible question:

anyone around here still involved with goonfleet / goonswarm in Eve? Is that Russian alliance still around? Is this doing anything to Eve politics?

I realize this is the least important dumbest trivial question, just curious.

Russian alliances are struggling with paying for subs, but AFAIK they can still log in.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

loving hell. Reporter was speaking with a doctor in Cherniv on the phone when they were inturrupted by airstrikes. Audio only, but :nws: for sounds of airstrikes. The doctor speaking is okay.

https://twitter.com/FintanYTWalsh/status/1499369496049561604?t=Hv1GVoXi8h93-VHblLu7lw&s=19

Translation from the speaker:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/eu-considering-swift-exclusion-belarus-banks-official-2022-03-03/

EU may SWIFTly hit Belarus with additional sanctions.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Kazakhstan firmly breaking with Russia with regard to the war. Previous reporting of their neutrality seems to have been over stated

https://twitter.com/SebaGobert/status/1499380636150218752?t=cNkpdO5IQYh0QPrwvv5OgA&s=19

article link

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

the least important possible question:

anyone around here still involved with goonfleet / goonswarm in Eve? Is that Russian alliance still around? Is this doing anything to Eve politics?

I realize this is the least important dumbest trivial question, just curious.

Honestly this is actually an interesting dimension. Video games are a small but significant point of interaction between young online Russians and the rest of the world. The DOTA community has a large centre of gravity across Russia/Ukraine and there's tension there. World of tanks sacked it's creative director for being pro-invasion (note that Wargaming is a Belarus based company! - although like Gaijin it's officially headquartered in Cyprus), War Thunder disabled chat in game late last week to try to get clear of any drama bombs.

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1499381363010682881
https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1499381529310638081

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xachariah posted:

If true then it's more evidence that a lot of people from the ground up in the Russian army are systematically lying to their superiors to make themselves look better, and giving their superiors completely inaccurate figures for logistics, supply, manpower, and equipment as a result. Even the competent commanders in the Russian army would be forging ahead with inaccurate numbers and capabilities provided by their own army.

Probably. That happened a ton when the Chechen war was going on. Lots of “ghost units”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

That’s going to backfire so loving badly.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

Kazakhstan firmly breaking with Russia with regard to the war. Previous reporting of their neutrality seems to have been over stated

https://twitter.com/SebaGobert/status/1499380636150218752?t=cNkpdO5IQYh0QPrwvv5OgA&s=19

article link

My understanding was the whole mess in January was set up by Tokayev doing a mini-coup to clean up previous "forever leader" crew. I imagine he didn't really need any help from Kremlin, but also had absolutely no reason to refuse. If they want to secure important structures as stated in the defense deal then it's their thing..

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:nms: - visible gore, visible death (any target), likely death (any visible target), clear violence against civilians

For instance - soldier with blown off hand, charred corpses, Bayraktar shooting human convoy, that Kharkiv cruise missile hit, MLRS shelling residential buildings

I feel like the range between the first bolded part and the second being so wide is what is making it feel so weird. Like both things are horrifying at a human level, but I always took not mind safe vomiting screaming emoji scrolling warnings as like, visceral horrifying rotton dot com type stuff. Using it literally as "thinking about this will make your mind sad" feels like it needs a different label than like, a photo of someones arm bones sticking out.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m happy to discuss tagging, to make it more useful for everyone. I don’t read other threads, so my off-the-cuff idea would be to:

:nms: - visible gore, visible death (any target), likely death (any visible target), clear violence against civilians

For instance - soldier with blown off hand, charred corpses, Bayraktar shooting human convoy, that Kharkiv cruise missile hit, MLRS shelling residential buildings

:nws: - light wounds, clear violence against military, particularly emotional moments, heavy language, massive fires

For instance - soldier with bloodied biceps bandage, entrenched military firefight filmed from a highrise, that toddler screaming when airplane’s rocket blew up near the home, videos with more than just blyat and suka going on, Zhaporizhya cruiser missile hit scene on 95th base where everything was on fire

no tag - everything else, including violence against an unclear target, and violence against likely empty target

For instance - all those night time explosions, soldiers dumping RPGs around the corner, missile hit on TV tower

If you use a tag, you must explain why you use a tag. :nms: content must be spoilered or not embedded (preferably latter), :nws: content should be spoilered if thumbnail is disturbing.

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

this is good

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why wouldn’t they sign back dated documents if it meant going home? I’m just not sure what the implication is.

Those documents, if signed, would allow authorities to pretend they were never involved in the operation, call them liars (with paperwork proof) if they open their mouth, likely get them sentenced if they persist, and, possibly may mean that paying them is rather optional since they had resigned before the conflict.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does the president of Finland even have any power

Not much. The president does mainly foreign policy, but most of that is done by the prime minister and other ministers. I would guess the president's "share" of foreign policy is less than half (number pulled completely out of my butt)

So the president does represent the republic in various things like the UN and so on, but as I understand it he would formulate any actual policy with the prime minister first before he actually says anything. Maybe you could describe him as a glorified multi-country ambassador or something.

Non-edit: I think it's legally somewhat ambiguous what the wording in the constitution means re: "president leads foreign policy, but together with prime minister" - so how exactly is the responsibility divided? It might depend on how much the president wants to literally lead vs. how much they actually can decide policy given various political pressures etc, but anyway this is a somewhat non-interesting derail

WaltherFeng posted:

Finland applying for Nato in any near future seems very short sighted, but our elected officials like to make panic course corrections when they feel threatened.

Russia does not have any territorial disputes with Finland and there's no way they have resources to fight prolonged wars against two big armies at the same time.

This post is a good example of the attitudes towards NATO that many people in Finland have. "We don't need to join right now, so let's not bother." Well, when we do need to join, it may well be too late - that's exactly why we should join now, while it's still uncomplicated...

The same exact thing happened before the second world war: Finland was neutral, and then once poo poo hit the fan we realised that 1) holding back Stalin's army by ourselves is not exactly easy and 2) nobody is willing to ally with you any longer once the drat invasion is on. And, if Finland had been in some kind of alliance, the invasion might not even have happened, due to the effect of deterrence!

So my argument is that, on the one hand, NATO membership would be useful to Finland. On the other hand, what would be the downsides of NATO membership?

Many people argue that in fact the USA regularly does bad things such as the invasion of Iraq, and as a member we'd be pulled into that. Well, to some extent that is true - but Iraq was not mandated by NATO, in fact, since Iraq never attacked the US, thus none of the NATO articles were applicable. It was more a "coalition of the willing" wasn't it.

One can certainly argue that the Finnish government would rush to kiss USA's butt even in sordid bullshit operations like that, and yeah, they probably would. Nevertheless, I think NATO membership would still be a good trade on balance. Looking at what a maniac Putin is, as he's demonstrating right now, and thinking that we might be spared a full-scale invasion in which thousands die... and sure perhaps we would instead decide to send like 30 young people to some Operation hosed Up Bullshit in 2026, some of whom would die... I mean, think about it :shrug:

e: anyway Finland's NATO membership is a bit of a derail so I'll probably stop talking about it now. But, it's now very obvious why Ukraine has wanted NATO membership for some time. Look at what happens when you're not a NATO member!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Just warn people what they are going to see if they click on the link.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

WaltherFeng posted:

Even then realistically that would mean war on multiple fronts and I don't see how that would ever work in Russia's favour.

The current war is not working in Russia's favor, but that hasn't stopped Putin. If Finland joins NATO now, he can't really do much to stop it because he's too busy (short of a Nuclear attack, and everyone else is saying that won't happen).

Finland's going to join, as it's the only reason Putin (if he won in Ukraine) wouldn't attack. He's a madman and the only question would be whether he would go for Moldova or Finland first.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Alchenar posted:

Honestly this is actually an interesting dimension. Video games are a small but significant point of interaction between young online Russians and the rest of the world. The DOTA community has a large centre of gravity across Russia/Ukraine and there's tension there. World of tanks sacked it's creative director for being pro-invasion (note that Wargaming is a Belarus based company! - although like Gaijin it's officially headquartered in Cyprus), War Thunder disabled chat in game late last week to try to get clear of any drama bombs.

A funny consequence of World of Tanks being so popular is that there have been repeated leaks of classified technical specs and capabilities on the WoT forums because people with access to them had to prove that someone else (or the game designer) was wrong about their favorite tank.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like the range between the first bolded part and the second being so wide is what is making it feel so weird. Like both things are horrifying at a human level, but I always took not mind safe vomiting screaming emoji scrolling warnings as like, visceral horrifying rotton dot com type stuff. Using it literally as "thinking about this will make your mind sad" feels like it needs a different label than like, a photo of someones arm bones sticking out.

I would say that to those of us with friends or family in Ukraine, including very real posters here with family members in Kharkiv, Kyiv, and Chernihiv, to name a few, footage of rockets bombarding their hometown buildings does fall woefully short of the rather benign “thinking about this makes me sad”.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I've been keeping myself out of the loop for around the past 24h so I don't go mad from news fatigue, anything big happen in that time?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Confirmation on counterattacks from the ground in Kyiv

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1499380878086127619?t=39wiyxNN7ZrjTjh1RRpuGg&s=19

Article link
Also per the article Ukraine is saying those explosions last night were actually thermobarics. So that's neat

quote:

Budanov also told Military Times that the Russians have been using thermobaric weapons in the assault on Kharkiv and near Kyiv.

They were fired, he said, by TOS-1M weapons systems.
Totally unrelated but here's a picture from this morning of a burned out apartment building in Bordoyanka - NWS, Not using the tag because it'll break the link above

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sashimi posted:

I've been keeping myself out of the loop for around the past 24h so I don't go mad from news fatigue, anything big happen in that time?

Biggest combat update is the fall of first regional centre of Ukraine, Kherson. There has been a trickle of smaller news as well, but this should be the most impactful story.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Shifty Pony posted:

A funny consequence of World of Tanks being so popular is that there have been repeated leaks of classified technical specs and capabilities on the WoT forums because people with access to them had to prove that someone else (or the game designer) was wrong about their favorite tank.

I thought that was War Thunder -same concept anyway.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

"But why won't Ukraine just surrender and roll over? Why do they prolong this war and the suffering?"
:goonsay:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

As far as I know WoT tops out at 1950' tech. I doubt there's any reason to keep T-54 specs secret.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

That was War Thunder forum actually, although I don’t doubt that some Russian leaks have happened on WoT forums.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

alex314 posted:

As far as I know WoT tops out at 1950' tech. I doubt there's any reason to keep T-54 specs secret.

The way things are going we may end up seeing some in action.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Comstar posted:

If Finland joins NATO now, he can't really do much to stop it because he's too busy (short of a Nuclear attack, and everyone else is saying that won't happen).

This is what pushed me off the fence at least, NATO-wise. If ever there was a time to send in the application, it is now.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Plotac 75 posted:

I thought that was War Thunder -same concept anyway.

Ah yeah, got them mixed up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Did they not realize that the protest is not going to be nonviolent?

Need to go watch Kevin Costner's Robin Hood, that poo poo works out differently when everybody is armed

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Question for a superpower: should you hire your supply truck drivers for your invasion from Uzbek LinkedIn :thunk:

https://twitter.com/Peter__Leonard/status/1499383489300504577?t=zdCq80ViTWsOfr5fTsUXDA&s=19

Edited for accuracy

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 3, 2022

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

KitConstantine posted:

Troubling warnings about this for the last few hours too. Ominous timing as well with the negotiations in a few hours. Would be a good excuse to hold the Ukr reps in Belarus
https://twitter.com/motytchak/status/1499359160277811204?t=UZQTOARqgwbv3MBmEW5GeA&s=19

This kind of thing has been said repeatedly, and among the Belarusian (uh, revolution? Truthers? The white-red-white flag people) there were claims that Russian troops were going to dress up as Ukrainians and attack Belarusians to drag them into the war. Has any of that kind of thing happened, or is this all sensationalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vaginaface posted:

This kind of thing has been said repeatedly, and among the Belarusian (uh, revolution? Truthers? The white-red-white flag people) there were claims that Russian troops were going to dress up as Ukrainians and attack Belarusians to drag them into the war. Has any of that kind of thing happened, or is this all sensationalism?

There has been Russians wearing Ukrainian uniforms in Ukraine as saboteurs, so its possible.