Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Alchenar posted:

No this is actually real, rumour I heard is that the processes are in place to bring Sweden and Finland in within 24 hours if necessary. Their militaries are NATO certified, they do joint exercises, they literally already have seats and offices in NATO.

I do think that betting on everything going smoothly in a crisis is a bad risk, and that wasting precious weeks having a debate on NATO membership as Russian troops mobilise on your border is a bad idea.

For what it's worth, the Finnish president in an interview a few days ago was saying that for NATO membership to become actual and finalised, the parliaments of the existing 30 NATO members need to ratify the new member(s), which would definitely take like a week or two at least. I don't know the details of these mechanisms though. Perhaps NATO could somehow agree that article 5 applies "instantly" and then do the ratifying etc later? Yeah I don't know and also some of this stuff might also not be public knowledge anyway

Also for clarity, there is no sign of any mobilisation on the Finland-Russia border (and there hasn't been for a very long time).

But yeah here's hoping that NATO will expand north from Estonia and then immediately west from there. See, that wouldn't be NATO expanding east, so Putin shouldn't have any issue with it :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why wouldn’t they sign back dated documents if it meant going home? I’m just not sure what the implication is.

Not sure about any other implications from a military or Russian perspective, but in any event signing backdated documents is forgery in a lot of jurisdictions, so you can be thrown in jail for that crime.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Alchenar posted:

Oh yeah this. Sport in particular, but anything that gets prestige for a Russian flag on the world stage is a big deal for the regime. There's a reason they went to all the trouble of having a massive state organised doping programme.

I feel like for big important things it's a prestige for russia thing, then for little super unimportant things it's "this was supposed to be fun", where like, what does the game look like if you make a russian children's soccer team face a ukrainian one. Does everyone just sit through that whole game with a sad look on their face? Or like, pray that it ends with one of those inspiring stories where the teams become best friends instead of like, punch each other. It feels like on little things it turns into 'this isn't a venue that is up to handling the drama a competition between a russian and Ukrainian represents, are we going to clap when the russian team totally destroys the Ukrainian team? are we going to boo? lets just not"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why wouldn’t they sign back dated documents if it meant going home? I’m just not sure what the implication is.

Most likely those are so that when you get blown up you get written as an accident at exercise and not an official casualty in Ukraine. You weren't there.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

More negotiations with the Russians today in Belarus at 3pm local. Whether than means we see more shelling or less today remains to be seen
https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1499352617083969541?t=4FNVITpCingjxKmiF8gSNQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/mrsorokaa/status/1499361429891211270?t=vMxVtft1Txo1-IYgoYwW6g&s=19

Ominous timing
https://twitter.com/GuyReuters/status/1499334789559689220?t=iB06Q01yNucGqpPtUPGx9A&s=19

Troubling warnings about this for the last few hours too. Ominous timing as well with the negotiations in a few hours. Would be a good excuse to hold the Ukr reps in Belarus
https://twitter.com/motytchak/status/1499359160277811204?t=UZQTOARqgwbv3MBmEW5GeA&s=19

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

jaete posted:

For what it's worth, the Finnish president in an interview a few days ago was saying that for NATO membership to become actual and finalised, the parliaments of the existing 30 NATO members need to ratify the new member(s), which would definitely take like a week or two at least. I don't know the details of these mechanisms though. Perhaps NATO could somehow agree that article 5 applies "instantly" and then do the ratifying etc later? Yeah I don't know and also some of this stuff might also not be public knowledge anyway

The United States could always sign a defense pact with Finland before the NATO membership process got started.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e: oh yeah it could, and the Joint Expeditionary Force... well you only have to look at the list of members to see exactly what that exists to do

jaete posted:

Also for clarity, there is no sign of any mobilisation on the Finland-Russia border (and there hasn't been for a very long time).

But yeah here's hoping that NATO will expand north from Estonia and then immediately west from there. See, that wouldn't be NATO expanding east, so Putin shouldn't have any issue with it :v:

Yeah a week or two is more likely.

So you get your first warning from the US that something is up. You probably spend 3-4 weeks having a public debate about whether it is real. You then maybe spend 3-4 weeks having a public debate about whether to ask to join NATO (someone will demand a referendum, even if you don't go down that road). Then you need 2 weeks or so to get the NATO states to ratify it. If nothing goes wrong then you are ready to ask NATO to deploy the NRF to you about the time the Russians start crossing the border. Bad plan. Talk to your reps. Write letters to newspapers. Get in now.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 3, 2022

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does the president of Finland even have any power

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's not explicitly stated by my impression is that they don't think it will affect their chances to get out either way. The army either has forgotten about them, can't or doesn't want to take them back to Russia yet.

The guy says the backdated documents are for the higher ups to have prove that they have never been to Ukraine as a soldier. The resignation date is set before the invasion started. The soldiers obviously have nothing to gain from covering the higher ups rear end and expose themselves to possible trouble later if they sign.

e: to clarify, these are survivors(and possibly deserters). They are finished in Ukraine and are waiting to be evacuated back to Russia

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TheRat posted:

I only mentioned it because the original thread said it was the only bridge towards Kyiv in the area. The tweet I linked also says 'the bridge' rather than 'a bridge' but that doesn't have to mean anything I suppose.

It's also worth noting that it takes an hour for engineers to lay a pontoon bridge. Provided that there is suitable place, of course.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://mobile.twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1499164245250002944

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Please know there are Russians protesting. Brave people. :unsmith:
https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1499367498994573315?t=E91RqoDxzKYquLLGYYj_LQ&s=19

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

e: to clarify, these are survivors(and possibly deserters). They are finished in Ukraine and are waiting to be evacuated back to Russia
No, they havent deployed yet, notice the lack of guns and colored bands

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does the president of Finland even have any power

President leads the foreign policy in cooperation with the government and is the commander in chief of armed forces.

Any foreign pact would need to be ratified by the parliament if that's what you are asking. This became evident when president Ryti gave assurances to Hitler in 1944 to get arms from Germany, which was deemed nonbinding.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 3, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Finland applying for Nato in any near future seems very short sighted, but our elected officials like to make panic course corrections when they feel threatened.

Russia does not have any territorial disputes with Finland and there's no way they have resources to fight prolonged wars against two big armies at the same time.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Nenonen posted:

It's also worth noting that it takes an hour for engineers to lay a pontoon bridge. Provided that there is suitable place, of course.

And assuming you can get a bridge layer there. A bunch have been destroyed.

From the Ukrainian war equipment tracking project list, Russia has lost:

quote:

7 TMM-3 bridge layer: (1, destroyed) (2, abandoned) (3, damaged and abandoned) (4, captured) (5, captured) (6, captured) (7, captured)

4 PMP floating bridge: (1, 2 and 3 destroyed) (4, destroyed)

Here's the article. The above referenced numbers link to pictures of each piece of equipment referenced
https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html?m=1

Edit: might as well put this in too. From the article:

Russian equipment losses:

quote:

Russia - 515, of which: destroyed: 209, damaged: 8, abandoned: 129, captured: 169

Ukranian losses (likely underestimate as there have been less photos of Ukr equipment in general)

quote:

Ukraine - 163, of which: destroyed: 67, damaged: 4, abandoned: 43, captured: 49

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 3, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
the least important possible question:

anyone around here still involved with goonfleet / goonswarm in Eve? Is that Russian alliance still around? Is this doing anything to Eve politics?

I realize this is the least important dumbest trivial question, just curious.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I've unfollowed quite a few accounts recently for the same reason. I got sucked into a bad content bubble when the conflict kicked off that pumped me full of lovely opinions like the ones you mentioned. (Thank you everyone for piling on me when I made my first post in the other thread. I needed that wakeup slap)

I've since spent a fair bit of effort debating with some of the tankier types within my social circle, and it seems that they are under the illusion that Putinism is going to somehow create a communist USSR 2.0 utopia, be it by Putin himself or some mysterious 5th column that is going to magically rise up and overthrow him. This thought seems to make them so drunk that it destroys their logic circuits. It's just logical fallacy after logical fallacy, and them throwing literal Kremlin propaganda back as evidence. It's like talking to brainwashed cult members.

I genuinely don't get it.

It's hard to filter things out when you unconsciously land in an echo chamber. :derp:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

TheRat posted:

That thread claims it's the only bridge in the area. If so, wasn't it destroyed a week ago? https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1497100868537270300

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Clearly different, one is over a railroad crossing the other over a river.

Here's some footage from the destroyed bridge and it is clearly not the bridge over Teteriv just south of Ivankiv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLv_TWHT0o

Ukrainian forces have been harassing Russian movements on the highway as late as 26 February so it is possible they might have kept it up for their own mobility as the closest bridge in 25km away.

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1497598058170834948

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m happy to discuss tagging, to make it more useful for everyone. I don’t read other threads, so my off-the-cuff idea would be to:

:nms: - visible gore, visible death (any target), likely death (any visible target), clear violence against civilians

For instance - soldier with blown off hand, charred corpses, Bayraktar shooting human convoy, that Kharkiv cruise missile hit, MLRS shelling residential buildings

:nws: - light wounds, clear violence against military, particularly emotional moments, heavy language, massive fires

For instance - soldier with bloodied biceps bandage, entrenched military firefight filmed from a highrise, that toddler screaming when airplane’s rocket blew up near the home, videos with more than just blyat and suka going on, Zhaporizhya cruiser missile hit scene on 95th base where everything was on fire

no tag - everything else, including violence against an unclear target, and violence against likely empty target

For instance - all those night time explosions, soldiers dumping RPGs around the corner, missile hit on TV tower

If you use a tag, you must explain why you use a tag. :nms: content must be spoilered or not embedded (preferably latter), :nws: content should be spoilered if thumbnail is disturbing.

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 3, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Finland applying for Nato in any near future seems very short sighted, but our elected officials like to make panic course corrections when they feel threatened.

Russia does not have any territorial disputes with Finland and there's no way they have resources to fight prolonged wars against two big armies at the same time.

In his big speech he emphasized what a mistake the revolution made in 1917 in letting some states have independence and other autonomy. One of those states was Finland.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

the least important possible question:

anyone around here still involved with goonfleet / goonswarm in Eve? Is that Russian alliance still around? Is this doing anything to Eve politics?

I realize this is the least important dumbest trivial question, just curious.

I'm very happy to have won eve.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

I think there's enormous risk in the assumption that nobody in NATO would take exception to extending Article 5 to cover Finland when it needs it, when Finland has refused to formally take on the burden of collective defence. Sure the US and a coalition of the willing would likely pile in, but it only takes one country in NATO to be awkward to stall that process.

One thing the last week has done is change how a lot of people in the West feel about NATO and about confronting Russia. I think one of the second order effects of the world drawing up lines is that there's a risk opinion turns quite rapidly against a country that is seen to try and get the benefit of the NATO insurance policy without paying the premiums.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

No, they havent deployed yet, notice the lack of guns and colored bands

Doesn't he say "кто вырвался, кто остался живомy" around the 1m mark?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Even then realistically that would mean war on multiple fronts and I don't see how that would ever work in Russia's favour.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Translation of the Russian soldiers from the video posted previously

NOTE: from twitter and I don't speak Russian, but someone who does said it was p close

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 3, 2022

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

KitConstantine posted:

Troubling warnings about this for the last few hours too. Ominous timing as well with the negotiations in a few hours. Would be a good excuse to hold the Ukr reps in Belarus
https://twitter.com/motytchak/status/1499359160277811204?t=UZQTOARqgwbv3MBmEW5GeA&s=19

:yikes: That's some next level poo poo. If its real that all needs to be released before someone can push the button and make Ukraine look like equal war criminals

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I think there's enormous risk in the assumption that nobody in NATO would take exception to extending Article 5 to cover Finland when it needs it, when Finland has refused to formally take on the burden of collective defence. Sure the US and a coalition of the willing would likely pile in, but it only takes one country in NATO to be awkward to stall that process.

One thing the last week has done is change how a lot of people in the West feel about NATO and about confronting Russia. I think one of the second order effects of the world drawing up lines is that there's a risk opinion turns quite rapidly against a country that is seen to try and get the benefit of the NATO insurance policy without paying the premiums.

Specifically even though Orbán has been publically critical of the war and eventually joined sanctions, he also spent years trying to align with Russia instead of the west. There's a very real possibility that Orbán could delay any NATO membership accession sufficiently at Putin's behest.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

NOTE: from twitter and I don't speak Russian, so unverified

Looks adequate to me.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

KitConstantine posted:

This isn’t quite as bad, but I deployed with a desert storm vet who was part of a company the US Army left in Kuwait by mistake for months. Militaries are big, callous, horrible bureaucracies that only add to the senseless and soul crushing and desperate nature of war. Catch 22 hits differently after you’ve experienced it up close and in a war zone

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

D34THROW posted:

:yikes: That's some next level poo poo. If its real that all needs to be released before someone can push the button and make Ukraine look like equal war criminals

I think there were some previous tweets discussing expected false flag operations from Russia. Could this be what that was referring to?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Reports of a sunken Estonian-owned cargo ship . If to be believed, it was under Russian Navy control and being used as a shield for landing.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Pablo Bluth posted:

Reports of a sunken Estonian-owned cargo ship . If to be believed, it was under Russian Navy control and being used as a shield for landing.

It seems like it hit a mine, idk how thats proof their using it for a naval landing

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

WaltherFeng posted:

Even then realistically that would mean war on multiple fronts and I don't see how that would ever work in Russia's favour.

Beep boop I am Russia, the rational actor beep boop. As we’ve seen.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Apparently the guy keeping track of all the vehicle losses got himself dmca'd by an Israeli paper for calling out an article of theirs:

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1499374361291149314

His account is still active though so I guess the takedown didn't last very long

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

gay picnic defence posted:

That said, I think the west will be quite happy to provide weapons to Ukraine as long as there's people still willing to use them on Russians because I think deep down they'd welcome the prospect of Russia's military getting bogged down in a years long conflict similar to Afghanistan.

"The West" wants 4 million+ refugees and the complete destruction of billions of dollars of value.

What.

Deep down the elite of "The West" wants to make money and live peaceful lives. Having a major war on your DOORSTEP (as opposed to the greater distance that Syria or the African conflicts were) is not what *anyone* wants. The amount of refugees is going to dwarf the amount that came from Yugoslavia too.

The good news is, that the Russian Military is not going to be bogged down in a long conflict similar to Afghanistan.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Between all these logistical fuckups and morale issues on the Russian side with just the initial invasion it's like, even if they do take and occupy all of Ukraine, this is the country that thinks it's going to be able to deal with a massive, well funded insurgency in a country larger and more populous than Iraq? :shepface:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Insanely brave message from Chechens in Grozny.

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1499374684802109441?t=5V5GgYkgR89PKvyIWadq0Q&s=19

Link: https://1adat.com/en/news/piket-v-centre-groznogo-v-podderzku-ukraine

Text:

quote:

Greetings from the Chechens.
Dear Ukraine, I ask you to understand that we do not take to the streets just because, unlike in central Russia, where they ride in paddy wagons, they kill us right away. We are under terrible oppression, and, unfortunately, we have nothing to resist. All Chechens, except for that rabble that we call Kadyrovites, are with you.

One day we too will wake up free in a free country.
But now the whole world is counting on you.

Crush the war machine. Kill the dogs of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

Interesting, does this mean that Russian commanders are resorting to bureaucratic fraud to make themselves look better to their commanders with regards to official figures?

If true then it's more evidence that a lot of people from the ground up in the Russian army are systematically lying to their superiors to make themselves look better, and giving their superiors completely inaccurate figures for logistics, supply, manpower, and equipment as a result. Even the competent commanders in the Russian army would be forging ahead with inaccurate numbers and capabilities provided by their own army.