Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Latest Tim Fowers project is live:

https://www.backerkit.com/c/tim-fowers/fugitive-reprint-and-run?ref=bk-ec-15188

Fugitive was a real cute game and RUN looks nice. Tim gets bonus points for shunning KS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ohh I backed the original Fugitive, but I like this smaller form, and new content :cripes:

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
I'm tempted, the new edition of Fugitive looks really nice! On the other hand all other Fowers' games have been really cute and quirky, but with too confusing or fiddly rules (to teach to other people in reasonable time). You can't get much more streamlined than Fugitive, though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

I'm also curious, this looks interesting but also I am having trouble getting an idea of what it's actually like to play.

Sorry this took so loving long but I'm starting to setup the solo rules and dear god the manual is loving rough. I'd go so far as to say the manual is BAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlLWNG3d7SI

I started watching this and it's making way more sense but having to watch a video in lieu of the manual means the manual did something wrong.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Ouch, that's rough. Especially bad when it turns out the rules and game flow are not actually that complex. Technical writing (which rulebooks absolutely are) is a skill.

Bad rulebooks are my kryptonite. Reminds me of something somewhat related, but different.

There was another project -- Space Kraken -- which seemed VERY interesting mechanically and I was looking forward to, until the guy released early digital files; I skimmed and hoo boy. I was expecting it to start with a straightforward "how to play" or something but instead right out the gate it's talking about and referencing all kinds of poo poo I have no idea about and jumping from this to that and ugggghhhh

It looked super interesting originally, but I think maaaaaaybe the designer disappeared down the worldbuilding rabbit hole. Now instead of "how to play" there's a ton of semi-furry 2010's deviantart and
:shepface: OK SO 5000 YEARS AGO LEGEND STATE THAT ...
... NOW IN THE THIRD AGE, ALSO KNOWN AS THE DAWN OF ...
... AROUND THAT TIME IS WHEN ALL EXPLORATION BEYOND THE SHADE ...
... OH WAIT SO FIRST I SHOULD EXPLAIN ...

I'm still hoping maybe some editing happens between then and final versions. I haven't checked back on it and kind of mentally wrote it off.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The Eyes Have It posted:

Ouch, that's rough. Especially bad when it turns out the rules and game flow are not actually that complex. Technical writing (which rulebooks absolutely are) is a skill.

Bad rulebooks are my kryptonite. Reminds me of something somewhat related, but different.

There was another project -- Space Kraken -- which seemed VERY interesting mechanically and I was looking forward to, until the guy released early digital files; I skimmed and hoo boy. I was expecting it to start with a straightforward "how to play" or something but instead right out the gate it's talking about and referencing all kinds of poo poo I have no idea about and jumping from this to that and ugggghhhh

It looked super interesting originally, but I think maaaaaaybe the designer disappeared down the worldbuilding rabbit hole. Now instead of "how to play" there's a ton of semi-furry 2010's deviantart and

I'm still hoping maybe some editing happens between then and final versions. I haven't checked back on it and kind of mentally wrote it off.

I was in that for a dollar just to follow development and all his kickstarter updates were really manic and weird, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Woof. I had gone in on that and got a real bad vibe from the updates. Glad I backed off, I guess.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well, I should say that between writing that and thinking about it a bit I realize I veered full-speed into describing how the early digital release made me feel. Those bolded bits aren't actual quotes, they're more how it felt.

Yes, it's true that in skimming it I went from "wow the mechanics sound super inventive" to "whoof, guess that's a write-off", but it does occur to me that I'm being unfair in, well, talking mainly in terms of the impression I got and how it made me feel. Rather than, you know, what I learned from giving it the ol' college try.

I do hope for something more coherent on release, but I bounced hard off the barely-edited mishmash that was the early digital release.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 2, 2022

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Whats the Goon-census on Project Ironside | A $399 Extendable Board Game Table?

Sure it's 3000 for a table, but I can't find anyone else in Australia who makes them :(

I tried doing that other kickstarter but the many dodgy YouTube video's scared me off.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

Sure it's 3000 for a table, but I can't find anyone else in Australia who makes them :(

I tried doing that other kickstarter but the many dodgy YouTube video's scared me off.

It says it's $399?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Comstar posted:

There are definitely companies making gaming tables in Australia. You could even buy a poker table or pool table with a topper if you were desperate.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

cyberia posted:

You could even buy a poker table or pool table with a topper if you were desperate.

https://www.gametoppersllc.com/ apparently ships to Australia. It's basically a portable gaming table with no legs. I have never seen one in real life, but lots of media personalities like and/or are sponsored by them. Even the smallest is twice as much as this thing in USD at least. But all gaming tables are essentially luxury goods, so I guess that's too be expected.

For Aus options, Google says:

https://www.gameway.com.au/
https://thetableflippers.com.au/
https://www.montyhaul.com/

As a horrible yankie :911: I've never heard of these before so caveat emptor.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

cyberia posted:

There are definitely companies making gaming tables in Australia. You could even buy a poker table or pool table with a topper if you were desperate.

For $3000 I'm sure you could find a professional woodworker willing to design and make you something equivalent basically anywhere in the world.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, not sure where the $3000 came from, that project starts at $400. Even with exchange rates and insane shipping to Australia I dunno how you end up that high.

It seems very tempting but I can't justify the expense at this particular moment and honestly, I'd rather wait and maybe end up paying a bit more on a second round or a post-KS purchase than have the table turn out to be a dud. I can't afford the sorts of gaming tables I've seen advertised in the past, but $400 or the reputed MSRP of $500 seems more doable. Previously I was considering a Game Toppers product. Now, for the full game table experience I'd probably also want some of the addons but that's something one could do piecemeal in theory.

Of course, the other concern is that I will soon move to an apartment in the basement of a house that is larger, but laid out in a less optimal way such that any sort of gaming table solution might not actually make sense. Currently hoping what is at present the laundry room will accomodate a dedicated gaming setup (the laundry machines will be elsewhere in a shared space, but it still has the furnace and water heater) but it's hard to be entirely sure right at the moment.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Vidmaster posted:

For $3000 I'm sure you could find a professional woodworker willing to design and make you something equivalent basically anywhere in the world.

Sorry should have stated = The 3K is for the wargaming table of 6x5ft, topper and delivery to AUS.

I just got a quote for a "gaming" table made here....for $7-8K. :(

There are some existing Monty Hall tables that would work which are currently $2.7K, so if they are still around I might get one of them. They seem to have stopped making new ones though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I know that these gaming tables are nice and fancy but I really am not terribly interested in spending $3k for a table for wargaming/boardgaming, even though I make more now than I did when I first heard about $3k tables.

I would rather get some Aluminum and learn how to stick weld and slap some plywood on top and drill that poo poo into the top for $100. I don't particularly consider a table over $500 to be worth it at all. I'm not a millionaire, gently caress that noise.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Honestly, you could learn how to make your own for way less. It sounds daunting but it’s not out of reach unless you want to do some crazy techniques or something.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I know that these gaming tables are nice and fancy but I really am not terribly interested in spending $3k for a table for wargaming/boardgaming, even though I make more now than I did when I first heard about $3k tables.

I would rather get some Aluminum and learn how to stick weld and slap some plywood on top and drill that poo poo into the top for $100. I don't particularly consider a table over $500 to be worth it at all. I'm not a millionaire, gently caress that noise.

The prices of gaming tables just horrify me. I'll stick with my two cheap rear end plastic folding tables with a couple of rubber playmats on top. It ain't got all the fancy cupholders and rails and whatnot, but it works just fine. No one's complaining and my total outlay on that was like $150.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I would probably make my own table before spending this kind of money on a professionally made one, but at the same time aspiring to own a high quality piece of furniture is obviously loads better than eternally owning some slapped together garage that is functional and nothing else.

Plywood with a gaming mat, with a table cloth draped over served me as a dining table for years at my first apartment. It was a sturdy beast so making something similar is surprisingly in reach for the average person. I can't say my girlfriends during that period were thrilled with the aesthetic though.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My current solution is a lot cheaper - 2 3x4 foot folding plastic tables from $hammerbarn. But I want something that will stop, dice rolling off...and somewhere to put spare units...and a drinks location..

All the guides I’ve seen are like- how I built a gaming table for $100!

And had $3000 of wood cutting machinery I had around.

First step- create a rudimentary lathe…

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 4, 2022

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I agree that gaming tables are very expensive and that to just have a surface to play boardgames on cheap folding tables work fine. But I think people talking about how crazy it is to spend $3k on a gaming table don't understand how much a nice wood dining table costs to begin with. And so I absolutely see where more money comes in once you're doing a bunch of custom poo poo that makes gaming easier and nicer - the aforementioned walls to stop dice rolling off, a topper so you can leave a game in progress and still eat on it, drink rails, etc. I assume a lot of people here (myself included) have never really been in a position to have a nice dining table but if you're going to outlay that kind of money to begin with and also want to game on it I think gaming tables make a lot of sense.

To get back to the KS: my concern is that for $400 you probably aren't getting that kind of robustness. You're looking at something closer to IKEA fare. And that's potentially an interesting market niche but...I'd like it proved out first.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

The prices of gaming tables just horrify me

I think the "gaming" adjective on products nowadays means +xx% in price and +/- y% in quality, much as you see with the "wedding" adjective

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I've been thinking about getting a gaming table with a topper too. My first idea was to drive 12 hours one way to a friend's house that has a whole woodworking shop and do the last bits of it with him before driving it back. He's very into top notch expensive stuff (I asked him what chairs I should get and he says I shouldn't ask him because he would recommend some designer ones that are 750-1500 each used) but the table design is very basic and would either be black walnut or ash. The walnut build would cost about $1300 plus my gas and a gift for him for making it. The Ash would be half that. I would also need a local friend to lend me his Tahoe so I could fit the table assembled in it.

My other option is to just buy the Jasper long version with the topper plus 4 cup holders from boardgametables.com for $1775. I might be leaning towards that now to avoid the logistics even though the table would be of lesser quality I think.

For the Ironwood KS, I'd get the topper which is as much as the table (the table is steel so it's cheaper if you didn't notice), the extender to make it 7ft instead of 5ft, the topper extender, and cupholders. With shipping I think that's almost the Jasper, plus I'd have to wait until at least July.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Good News Everyone who ordered Fantasy Series 1 in the US:Press Release Regarding Blacklist Miniatures

quote:

Posted: September 6, 2022

Thank you for your patience during our discussion with Blacklist about the best solution for the Fantasy Series 1 fulfillment. We’re happy to say that we’ve worked out a solution that will allow backers to pay Quartermaster Logistics directly through PledgeManager to have your pledge shipped to you. We feel that this solution will serve all parties the best to get as many pledges as possible into backers hands. We’re still working out the final details on how exactly this process will work, so we ask that you hold your questions until then. We’ll be posting those details here and on our social media platforms when they’ve been finished. Thanks again!

– Quartermaster Logistics Management Team

Well, it's probably going to cost a fortune, but as someone who DID get them (I'm not in the US), they are nice figures.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Comstar posted:

Good News Everyone who ordered Fantasy Series 1 in the US:Press Release Regarding Blacklist Miniatures

Well, it's probably going to cost a fortune, but as someone who DID get them (I'm not in the US), they are nice figures.

I would like to eventually get them, and I'm willing to pony up for shipping (again) as long as it isn't too insane.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

armorer posted:

I would like to eventually get them, and I'm willing to pony up for shipping (again) as long as it isn't too insane.

Same, like... the pandemic hosed shipping forever, I get it, I'm willing to cover that gap. Especially given how cheap these were originally. There is a limit to how much I'd pay for shipping but like, they're in the country already at least, hopefully it won't be that bad.

I'm glad it's QML doing it directly though, I'm not giving Blacklist any more money.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Monty Python RPG with an "original rules-lite gaming system" hits Kickstarter in October. Exalted Funeral and Crowbar Creative.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Monty Python RPG with an "original rules-lite gaming system" hits Kickstarter in October. Exalted Funeral and Crowbar Creative.

Wow I can't believe they're coming out with Pendragon 6th edition under a different publisher.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I do appreciate the Another Monty Python Record-style trade dress on it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Randomed across this one on BGG: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solisgamestudio/spacelion 63 hours left and looking a bit shy of funding.

There's a how to play video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciIiK4El_Fg It looks kinda like version of Air, Land and Sea puffed out to allow for multiplayer with asymmetric player powers.

I'm not supporting Kickstarters right now, but this person apparently supported Worldbreakers, so they clearly have good taste. Looks like a small company, no bullshit. This is what crowdfunding was for: not an elaborate pre-order storefront or ponzi-scheme-as-a-service platform. Just letting people do something when they probably couldn't otherwise.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Evil Hat's newest game about secret monsters saving the world is up:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/apocalypse-keys

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Interesting to see Evil Hat continue its switch from Fate to PbtA.

$50+Shipping for a PbtA game that I'm probably never going to play is going to sting, but Evil Hat has earned enough goodwill I'll be adding it to my shelf.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Far West... Lives?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

By a certain definition of living.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I didn't back but I'm familiar with the mythology. Someone please share the update?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

There's a storm light chronicles miniatures KS now. Yes it's over a million within 12 hours.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

CitizenKeen posted:

I didn't back but I'm familiar with the mythology. Someone please share the update?

It's backer-only but it's on Tenkar's because who loving cares. Complete manuscript is out to backers because "it occurs to me I never did release that" :wtc: Supposedly completed PDF will be "within the month". Also he's still trying to push some transmedia poo poo, including some old L5R-esque influence-the-setting ?events?

So, as far as actual new material results since, uh, three years ago? nothing new except the actual rules that were supposedly done even longer ago but then scrapped so he could switch from some d20 Fate abomination to D6.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There's a storm light chronicles miniatures KS now. Yes it's over a million within 12 hours.

As a miniature and Stormlight liker I was briefly excited about this, but the minis look pretty meh to be honest. Definitely seems more targeted at Sanderson fans than mini nerds.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Tsilkani posted:

Evil Hat's newest game about secret monsters saving the world is up:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/apocalypse-keys

Huh. They hosed with the core mathematics of PbtA. It's kind of interesting how rarely that's done.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Those look very… bland. The sculpts might be ok but the digital imagery for them is just so boring. Pretty much every cmon campaign has better mini imagery in their campaigns. gently caress, even the Witcher images before the production issues looked better.

Just an absolute minimum amount of effort because they knew it would do bonkers money so why even bother paying someone to paint printed mocks.

And if that one they show is actually painted and not a digital image… gently caress it’s a mediocre paint job.