Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

frodnonnag posted:

Yiga are easy. Just get airborn then fill their face with arrows.

Savage Lynel Bow + Bomb Arrows because I wish to spite those fuckers so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The horse system sucks. They should let you parachute your horses to a location you specify on your iDroid sheikah slate.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

Savage Lynel Bow + Bomb Arrows because I wish to spite those fuckers so badly.

They aren't worth the extra rupees for a bomb arrow. Just multishot them in the face.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Forever I'll be bothered that peppers, commonly consumed to induce sweating for cooling off, is used for the literal opposite effect in this game

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

frodnonnag posted:

They aren't worth the extra rupees for a bomb arrow. Just multishot them in the face.

I'm regularly carrying 25k+ rupees and I'm at 104 Shrines, all Fairies, and Tarrey Town completed. I'm on full nihilism mode now. 90 rupees to spite a Yiga in a satisfying fashion is perfectly fine by me.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The only arrows you should be using on Yiga are ancient arrows

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Gruckles posted:

The only arrows you should be using on Yiga are ancient arrows

That's a waste of ancient arrows.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

That's a waste of ancient arrows.
Guardians are easy to kill without them, and they destroy the loot from anything else. Therefore the most beneficial use is getting the satisfaction of disintegrating Yiga dudes who thought they'd be able to smoke bomb out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You nerds need to get creative with killing Yigas. What's this? A pile of wood? I never got Stasis+ but as I understand it you can stasis enemies? Maybe freeze a Yiga in time as the fire burns him to death, slowly, not unlike a witch during the Spanish Inquisition. All they see is their skin charring and melting as their eyes fade away in the smoke and flames and they know they can never get away from it.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

jokes posted:

You nerds need to get creative with killing Yigas. What's this? A pile of wood? I never got Stasis+ but as I understand it you can stasis enemies? Maybe freeze a Yiga in time as the fire burns him to death, slowly, not unlike a witch during the Spanish Inquisition. All they see is their skin charring and melting as their eyes fade away in the smoke and flames and they know they can never get away from it.

It doesn't freeze enemies for as long of a duration as inanimate objects as I recall. I know guardians are only frozen for like a second or two.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Slamming my face into dark souls may have made this game too easy. It's ok it's still great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Alxprit posted:

Yeah sadly the big attack of the Yiga Blademasters in the hideout will one-shot you through any kind of protection you might have. No armor, no fairies, no Mipha's Grace. The best way to fight them is from a distance. Crowd control them with freezing weapons or Ice Arrows. The bow guys can't kill you in one shot I think.

considering how much freedom the rest of the game gives what teh gently caress were they thinking here

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

You can Revali up to the rafters, skip 90%, steal their Bananahoard and be out in 5 minutes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

euphronius posted:

Slamming my face into dark souls may have made this game too easy. It's ok it's still great.

Dark Souls should take a cue from this game and remove dodge-rolling in combat. Rolling looks so dumb.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Zore posted:

Dark Souls should take a cue from this game and remove dodge-rolling in combat. Rolling looks so dumb.

That's why you steal that dude's dark wood grain ring and do sweet flips :smug:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

euphronius posted:

I wish Nintendo would have stolen Dark Soul's dodge and target lock mechanics.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zore posted:

Yeah agreedo.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The sidestep is a cooler animation but the DS roll works better gameplay wise.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Kingfish posted:

I wish Nintendo would have stolen Dark Soul's dodge and target lock mechanics.

yeah it feels like that's sort of what they tried to do but for someone reason it just doesn't work consistently?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's cool that all the fairies upgrade simultaneously when you buy a new one.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Are you suggesting that Link would stoop to rolling around on the ground?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Kingfish posted:

The sidestep is a cooler animation but the DS roll works better gameplay wise.

I feel like being able to phase through enemy attacks and the concept of i-frames in general are kinda terrible bandaids and lead to real dumb poo poo.

It also led to the stupid arms race in the soulsbourne stuff where enemies got ridiculous tracking and lock-on to account for the player being able to just roll around them like Sonic.

And it looks incredibly dumb.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man I really dig the look of the Armor of the Wild set. Very rugged and oddly comfy

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DalaranJ posted:

Are you suggesting that Link would stoop to rolling around on the ground?

I think he'd do some sort of diving motion. Stooping sounds like hell on the back.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

After beating BOTW, I'm playing through Ocarina of Time right now on my 3DS and just finished the Water temple. It wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered it, still annoying though.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

So literally just started, and am trying to hunt these loving boar in the plateau forest. One fled, and now literally all of them have despawned. I've sat at the fire and passed like seven days worth of time now, fast travelled, and even reloaded a save. And there's not a single boar in the entire forest. Is this poo poo broken or something?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Go do something else, by the time you're done (several real life hours later), the boars will be back. Don't get hung up on one (very small) aspect of this game so early.

Explore, fight, collect stuff, hunt a different animal, etc.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bubbapook posted:

So literally just started, and am trying to hunt these loving boar in the plateau forest. One fled, and now literally all of them have despawned. I've sat at the fire and passed like seven days worth of time now, fast travelled, and even reloaded a save. And there's not a single boar in the entire forest. Is this poo poo broken or something?

In the plateau forest?

I think the game is subtly telling you to get the gently caress out of the tutorial area.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bird meat counts as meat.

Assuming you're trying to make the spicy pepper dish, you can always skip the doublet and cook just the peppers to survive in the cold. And even if not there are ways to survive the cold, like holding a lit torch and bringing some wood to light up when you have to put away your torch. Plus you can get the doublet in the cold area anyway and can always buy it later if you want.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 7, 2017

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Forever I'll be bothered that peppers, commonly consumed to induce sweating for cooling off, is used for the literal opposite effect in this game

yeah but they are hot.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I got Cemu up and running and god drat this game looks beautiful in 4K.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Calaveron posted:

What kind of sense would it make to eat watermelons to survive the cold?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

After beating BOTW, I'm playing through Ocarina of Time right now on my 3DS and just finished the Water temple. It wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered it, still annoying though.

That's because it's better on the 3DS for many reasons. Imagine having to navigate equipment subscreens every time you want those boots on or off.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I wish there was some kind of way to bind armor sets to a button so you could quickly switch between climbing/zora/cold resist etc gear on the fly without having to go into the inventory and equip each piece individually.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Bird meat counts as meat.

Assuming you're trying to make the spicy pepper dish, you can always skip the doublet and cook just the peppers to survive in the cold. And even if not there are ways to survive the cold, like holding a lit torch and bringing some wood to light up when you have to put away your torch. Plus you can get the doublet in the cold area anyway and can always buy it later if you want.

Wellllllll poo poo. Thanks!

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Man I really dig the look of the Armor of the Wild set. Very rugged and oddly comfy
Not a huge fan of it. When I think exploring the wilds, I don't think the shortest of shorts.

Especially in a land that has so many frozen areas and a bunch of high, cold arse points in it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

What kind of sense would it make to eat watermelons to survive the cold?

or eating raw poultry to feel better

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Link's ability to hork down food is not normal and I would not expect him to react to food normally.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

its totally normal and historically accurate, everyone knows the Germans lost at Stalingrad because they ran out of seafood and mushroom skewers while the Soviets were still able to pause and eat baked apples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Crawfish posted:

Not a huge fan of it. When I think exploring the wilds, I don't think the shortest of shorts.

Especially in a land that has so many frozen areas and a bunch of high, cold arse points in it.

But they're comfy and easy to wear!