Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Replace Finntroll with Thyrfing
You shut your filthy bitch mouth

DeusExMachinima posted:

and Dragonforce with Sabaton.
This is decent advice though

Although for something closer in style, replace Dragonforce with Pathfinder instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGJlmDQy0xk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

Replace Finntroll with Thyrfing

world's wrongest guy 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

B33rChiller posted:

Hey, here's some metal bands that

BOLT THROWER

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

het posted:

This is like the opposite of good music discussion. "Here's a band, tell me what's bad about it and I'll get defensive"? gently caress off dude
Sorry, didn't mean to do that. I don't want to get defensive, I am just interested in getting more critical analysis of people's negative views on bands they don't like. For instance, what's the reasoning behind Henchman of Santa saying DragonForce stands out in a bad way?
I don't intend to defend any of these bands, or argue with anyone. I'm just genuinely curious whether people here think any of these bands are poo poo? More importantly, what is their reasoning?

I was hoping for more information than "this band is great" or "You're wrong, this band is terrible."

edit: The part calling people douches was meant to reference the people earlier in the thread self-identifying as douches, not as an insult to be hurled at the thread as a whole.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 2, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
We're usually pretty short in this thread but I think the Dragonforce complaint is twofold: 1) majorly gimmicky/guitar wanky compared to the rest of your selections and 2) really overhyped. Satan help you if talk about Ghost. You can totally enjoy cheap stuff though as a guilty pleasure, we all do, most of the judging is tongue in cheek here.

Nordick posted:

You shut your filthy bitch mouth

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

world's wrongest guy 2016

ok ok

replace finntroll with eluveitie

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 2, 2016

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

B33rChiller posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to do that. I don't want to get defensive, I am just interested in getting more critical analysis of people's negative views on bands they don't like. For instance, what's the reasoning behind Henchman of Santa saying DragonForce stands out in a bad way?
I don't intend to defend any of these bands, or argue with anyone. I'm just genuinely curious whether people here think any of these bands are poo poo? More importantly, what is their reasoning?

I was hoping for more information than "this band is great" or "You're wrong, this band is terrible."
I mean that'd be better if you provided anything other than "this band is great". You provided a list of bands you like and that's it, that seems lovely to me. You want thoughtful discussion, provide some yourself to start with.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Looks fun

Altared State fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 2, 2016

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
if you like dragonforce just listen to some japanese power metal bands like galneryus and concerto moon. if you want a japanese band with insane musicianship and don't mind female vocals, listen to Light Bringer.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

Voivod are punky, noise-rocky,
Do you have any particular noise rock bands in mind here? Noise rock is pretty broad and I haven't listened to much Voivod so I'm not sure what you mean.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

B33rChiller posted:

Hey, here's some metal bands that, so far, I've enjoyed everything of their's that I've heard. These are just a few bands I can think of that I've not found anything they put out that I didn't enjoy. Can the elitist douches of this thread articulate what's wrong with my taste in music, and suggest something better? (I know you're not all of you are douches, but I'm asking this of those who are)

Emperor
Ihsahn
Darkthrone
DragonForce
Cannibal Corpse
Death
Celtic Frost
Anaal Nathrakh
Woe of Tyrants
Beyond Creation
Moonsorrow
Finntroll
Slayer

Hey man, is there any metal you don't like, or will anything do?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Golem II posted:

Looks fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_wjRUpci7M

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

I mean whatever you would think is a better choice in music.

What's the problem with DragonForce? They're entertaining as hell live, and I dig the cheezyness. I understand they stand out from the list in that they're a different style. Is it the style of metal that's bad, or are they a bad example of that particular style? Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely check out Arcturus

I'm not much of a power metal fan in general but they are one of the worst in that style. Every song sounds exactly the same, guitar tone sounds like it's from a Nintendo game, etc. They were really big when I was in middle school and I often forget they still exist.

Galneryus was definitely a good rec in that vein.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

A human heart posted:

Do you have any particular noise rock bands in mind here? Noise rock is pretty broad and I haven't listened to much Voivod so I'm not sure what you mean.

Maybe Chrome, which is pretty loose, but I think guy was just trying to say they have dissonant riffage.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

B33rChiller posted:

I mean whatever you would think is a better choice in music.

not metal

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

You suck

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Listen to Bolt Thrower motherfuckers

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Question for dudes in here who know their stuff: are there any bands that sound like Lord of Evil - Kill For Satan?

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian

Golem II posted:

Looks fun

if you like this poo poo kill yourself

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

saviro posted:

I like fun a lot
suicide is emminent
good bye cruel world

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

saviro posted:

no, u

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gamma Nerd posted:

if you like dragonforce just listen to some japanese power metal bands like galneryus and concerto moon. if you want a japanese band with insane musicianship and don't mind female vocals, listen to Light Bringer.
The problem with most Japanese power metal bands I've heard is that they have incredibly annoying sounding vocals. Like, I've tried to listen to Galneryus several times, and every time the song sounds great, until the guy starts singing and just ruins the whole thing for me. It's not that they have bad voices, there's just something about the way they sing that really grates on my nerves.

As for Concerto Moon, their current vocalist sounds a whole drat lot better to me, but then comes the other problem: the absolutely atrociously pronounced English bits strewn about randomly. It's jarring as gently caress, which is a shame because, again, the music is pretty good judging by the couple songs I just listened to.

Light Bringer is a new one for me, and I have to admit this is something I might even listen to occasionally actually no never mind, way too many wanky proggy bits have cropped up on further listening. The vocalist still has some moments of that annoying style I was talking about, but overall she's not that offensive. And I agree that the instrumental side is pretty sweet when it isn't being all twiddly diddly.

All that said though, there's still the simple unfortunate fact that I just don't really like the sound of the Japanese language to begin with.

EDIT: \/ Anime probably is the thing that has soured me on Japanese, really.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 2, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Basically just listen to anime metal.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Stop listening to Light Bringer and listen to Light Bearer

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

Golem II posted:

Looks fun

:iamafag:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

B33rChiller posted:

Emperor
Ihsahn

But seriously you should listen to Leprous

edit: Also I really like the new Haken

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Laughed out loud at this Spinal Tap-esque piece from Wikipedia's page on the band Spheric Universe Experience:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

edit: Also I really like the new Haken
Best album of their career for sure, probably will end up being my favorite prog-metal record of 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnIraZRcxK0

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Whoever posted that Pathfinder song, thank you. It's killer.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

A human heart posted:

Question for dudes in here who know their stuff: are there any bands that sound like Lord of Evil - Kill For Satan?

They sound kinda like generic bad black metal imo.

I did do a little lol at them changing their name to WAR 88 after "developing NSBM tendencies". Dude, when you call your demo "Satanic War Master (Der Führer)" and you have songs titled stuff like "Blut und Eisen" you might already be there.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Goddamn - listen to Morbid Saint and break your neck headbanging.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Oldstench posted:

Goddamn - listen to Morbid Saint and break your neck headbanging.
And/or Demolition Hammer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MrBling posted:

They sound kinda like generic bad black metal imo.

I did do a little lol at them changing their name to WAR 88 after "developing NSBM tendencies". Dude, when you call your demo "Satanic War Master (Der Führer)" and you have songs titled stuff like "Blut und Eisen" you might already be there.

Did NSBM start out as people trying to out do the shock value of satanism or are they really that dumb and racist?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nordick posted:

The problem with most Japanese power metal bands I've heard is that they have incredibly annoying sounding vocals. Like, I've tried to listen to Galneryus several times, and every time the song sounds great, until the guy starts singing and just ruins the whole thing for me. It's not that they have bad voices, there's just something about the way they sing that really grates on my nerves.

As for Concerto Moon, their current vocalist sounds a whole drat lot better to me, but then comes the other problem: the absolutely atrociously pronounced English bits strewn about randomly. It's jarring as gently caress, which is a shame because, again, the music is pretty good judging by the couple songs I just listened to.

Light Bringer is a new one for me, and I have to admit this is something I might even listen to occasionally actually no never mind, way too many wanky proggy bits have cropped up on further listening. The vocalist still has some moments of that annoying style I was talking about, but overall she's not that offensive. And I agree that the instrumental side is pretty sweet when it isn't being all twiddly diddly.

All that said though, there's still the simple unfortunate fact that I just don't really like the sound of the Japanese language to begin with.

EDIT: \/ Anime probably is the thing that has soured me on Japanese, really.

Random English phrases are a really weird aspect of Japanese music in general. You'll have poo poo like "CAST A SPELL" just randomly thrown in lyrics without any rhyme or reason.

Not that I can understand Japanese or anything, it's just really jarring to hear random English poo poo in a song I otherwise couldn't understand. At least when I'm listening to Vintersorg I can just assume everything is in Swedish and just go with it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Spanish Manlove posted:

Did NSBM start out as people trying to out do the shock value of satanism or are they really that dumb and racist?

A lot of them are just really dumb and racist. Especially the ones in Eastern Europe who don't seem to have a problem with the fact that the Nazis considered slavs to be subhuman and did their best to get rid of them.

It is of course partly about shocking imagery as well. Doing the nazi thing is a shortcut in terms of getting reactions and pissing off people because there is a very specific set of Nazi images you can evoke.

A lot of the eastern european bands also decided to hide their nazi tendencies by being "Pagan" or "really into Eastern European folklore" instead of being outright nazis. (Nokturnal Mortum) and I assume that is partly to try for a broader appeal.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

symbolic posted:

Whoever posted that Pathfinder song, thank you. It's killer.
You're welcome.
Personally I listen to them more for the sheer hilarity than actual musical merits, but I do sincerely admire their shameless, unbridled flamboyance. If you're gonna go over the top, might as well do it with proper balls-out gusto. Sure, I can only listen to them for a few songs at a time before my brain starts melting, but at least those few songs are loving glorious.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm real late on this discussion but I wanted to throw my worthless opinion into the mix RE: Voivod/Vektor comparisons.

Calling Vektor 'Voivod worship' is dumb as hell. They have similar logos, sci-fi styled lyrics, and both added their own unique progressive twists to thrash metal. Beyond those superficial similarities, the music is very different. Expecting someone who likes Vektor to automatically dig Voivod is a stretch.

Also, just for fun, a reminder to laugh at the Target Earth artwork:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Trees and Squids posted:

Also, just for fun, a reminder to laugh at the Target Earth artwork:

Still doesn't beat Maiden's Dance of Death.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I mean, people should automatically dig Voivod if they have ears, regardless of liking Vektor

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

symbolic posted:

Still doesn't beat Maiden's Dance of Death.

I keep forgetting this album was made in 2003 and not 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah that cover will never cease boggling my mind with how eye-searingly hideous it is.
That Voivod cover is at least rough and sketch-like in a sort of cool way, but the DoD one is just plain repulsive.